|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gregor leave the camp with in pages 184-215?
2. Who spends the day in the woods with Silvana and Aurek?
(b) Janusz and Peter.
(c) Doris and Peter.
(d) Peter and Tony.
3. What does Ruby encourage Janusz to do?
(a) To go to France.
(b) To return to Poland.
(c) Find his wife and son.
(d) To go to America.
4. Who does Janusz meet on his way home?
(a) His boss.
5. How do Tony and Silvana arrange to see each other?
(a) When the boys get together.
(b) When the boys are in school.
(c) When Silvana pretends to go to work.
(d) When Janusz works.
6. What does Helene understand about Janusz?
(a) That she would need to move to England to have him.
(b) That she can only have a temporary relationship with him.
(c) That he loves her for her body only.
(d) That she can never have him.
7. How does Silvana's savior see her and her son?
(a) As miracles.
(b) As parasites.
(c) As strangers.
(d) As lost souls.
8. Why is the German soldier angry?
(a) He thought Marysia was his.
(b) He thought he was going to be fed.
(c) He thought he was the only man in Ela's life.
(d) He thought Gregor was dead.
9. What does Silvana deduce from the medicine the mother is taking?
(a) That she has money.
(b) That she knows Gregor.
(c) That she supports a German soldier.
(d) That Gregor is dead.
10. What does Janusz look to purchase?
(a) A car.
(b) A new house.
(c) A bike for Aurek.
(d) A ring for Silvana.
11. What does Janusz wonder as he sits alone in the house?
(a) He should be going back to Poland.
(b) He should check the local Communist party.
(c) He should have gone back to Helene.
(d) He should buy a farm.
12. What do Silvana and Aurek find in a hole left by a bomb?
(b) A body.
(d) A gun.
13. How does Janusz end up sick?
(a) He eats something bad.
(b) He falls asleep in the sun.
(c) He spends the night in a cold and damp basement
(d) A bug bit him.
14. Why is Janusz and Silvana's evening sweetness cut short?
(a) The movie is not good.
(b) Janusz asks Silvana for another baby.
(c) Silvana starts talking about the war.
(d) Silvana is sick.
15. What does Janusz teach Aurek?
(a) To catch birds.
(b) To pick mushrooms.
(c) To catch birds' eggs.
(d) To catch fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stole Silvana's possessions?
2. What is Janusz's reaction to what Aurek sees?
3. What does Helene ask Janusz to do despite risk of arrest?
4. Where does Tony bring Aurek and Silvana?
5. What happens to Ela?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)