|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janusz show Aurek when they return home?
(a) The trees in the backyard.
(b) The picture of them the first day.
(c) A picture of his grandparents.
(d) A picture of Silvana and him before the war.
2. What is Silvana shocked at as Tony enters the house?
(a) What big teeth he has.
(b) How tall he is.
(c) How handsome he is.
(d) How happy she is to see him.
3. What is Janusz hoping for in life because of his patience?
(a) For a promotion.
(b) For a better job.
(c) For a new car.
(d) For a bigger house.
4. What does Janusz forget about at the farm?
(a) The war.
(d) His wife.
5. Who is found with Marysia?
(a) A German soldier.
(b) A Polish priest.
6. What does Aurek do when he sees his parents together?
(a) He hangs from the window.
(b) He goes and hides.
(c) He cries.
(d) He jump from the porch.
7. What does Tony ask Silvana after she comes home?
(a) To leave with him.
(b) To meet him in the forest.
(c) To accept jewelry from him.
(d) To bring Aurek to play with Peter at the park.
8. What does Aurek see at Tony's home?
(a) Tony moving large boxes of food.
(b) Tony slapping Silvana.
(c) Tony looking at his wife's image.
(d) Tony and his mother kissing.
9. What is Silvana relieved about doing?
(a) Being able to collect newspaper clippings.
(b) Moving out of the house.
(c) Being with Tony.
(d) Telling Janusz the truth.
10. Who is Silvana living with a year after leaving Warsaw?
(c) Gregor and his followers.
11. How many men does Silvana witness the German soldiers killing?
12. What does Silvana receive for her birthday?
(a) A new car.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A ring.
(d) A television.
13. What is Silvana relieved to see when she comes home after leaving Tony?
(a) That Helene's letters are not there anymore.
(b) That her suitcase is still where she left it.
(c) That Janusz is not at home.
(d) That she has enough money for the divorce fees.
14. What do Silvana and Aurek find in a hole left by a bomb?
(b) A gun.
(d) A body.
15. How does Helene die?
(b) Shot by a German soldier.
(c) She drown.
(d) She was hit by a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should the thief not be punished for his or her actions?
2. What does Silvana see in Tony's eyes for the first time?
3. How many silver birch trees does Janusz plant in his backyard?
4. Who does Gregor leave the camp with in pages 184-215?
5. What does Tony say to Janusz when he sees him on the road?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)