|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janusz wonder as he sits alone in the house?
(a) He should have gone back to Helene.
(b) He should be going back to Poland.
(c) He should check the local Communist party.
(d) He should buy a farm.
2. What does Tony tell Silvana she should pose as to avoid tarnishing her reputation?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) A distant cousin.
(c) A renter.
(d) His sister.
3. What does Ruby encourage Janusz to do?
(a) To go to France.
(b) To go to America.
(c) Find his wife and son.
(d) To return to Poland.
4. What does Bruno want to do upon arriving in France?
(a) Take a vacation.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Enroll in the army.
(d) Go to bars.
5. What do Janus, Doris and Gilbert discuss in Page 240-271?
(b) The war.
(d) The car.
6. What does Tony frequently do?
(a) He does not show despite plans to do so.
(b) Brings pictures of his dead wife.
(c) Brings Silvana flowers.
(d) Brings Janusz food.
7. When does Silvana realize that Tony is projecting the feeling he has for his dead wife onto her?
(a) After talking about marriage with him.
(b) After confronting Tony about the clothes.
(c) After talking with his parents.
(d) After talking with Peter.
8. What is Janusz hoping for in life because of his patience?
(a) For a new car.
(b) For a bigger house.
(c) For a promotion.
(d) For a better job.
9. What does Silvana think she needs to keep her son safe?
(a) His real father.
(d) Herself alone.
10. Who picks up Aurek and Silvana in the forest?
(a) The French Military.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The American Military.
(d) The British military.
11. Where does Silvana sleep the night of her birthday?
(a) With Tony.
(b) At Doris's.
(c) In Aurek's bed.
(d) In the couch.
12. What does Silvana want to tell Tony, but backtracks at the last moment and leaves?
(a) That she was fired.
(b) That she wants to go with him.
(c) Her life story.
(d) That she still loves Janusz.
13. What prompts Janusz to sing?
(a) A song on the radio.
(b) A passing car.
(c) A screaming baby.
(d) A cuckoo.
14. What did not bring Janusz the peace he expected?
(a) Being out of Poland.
(d) Having Aurek at home.
15. What happens to Ela?
(a) She starts beating Marysia.
(b) She pays the German soldier.
(c) She is shot by the German soldier.
(d) She flees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Janusz meet on his way home?
2. What is the only thing Janusz does not destroy in the yard?
3. What is Silvana relieved to see when she comes home after leaving Tony?
4. Who spends the day in the woods with Silvana and Aurek?
5. What does Silvana tell Tony in response to his request?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)