|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silvana tell Hanka she is not interested in doing?
(a) Going back to Warsaw.
(c) Going to England.
(d) Going to Russia.
2. What does Janusz use to remember Helene?
(a) His good memory.
(b) A pendant she gave him.
(c) A letter she sent him.
(d) A piece of fabric.
3. When did Janusz first see Silvana?
4. What does Silvana wonder as she and Janusz move into their own flat in "Poland"?
(a) If Janusz married her because of her money.
(b) If Janusz married her because he needed a maid.
(c) If Janusz married her out of duty.
(d) If Janusz will love their son as much as her.
5. What is Janusz happy about?
(a) That Aurek can sleep without nightmares.
(b) That Aurek is adjusting.
(c) That Silvana wants another child.
(d) That Silvana has a job.
6. How old is Aurek?
7. What is Silvana enjoying in Pages 57-82?
(a) English food.
(b) The sun.
(c) The life of an urban wife.
8. What does Silvana do after the German soldier leaves the apartment?
(a) She gathers her things and leaves.
(b) She barricades the door.
(c) She tries to find a weapon.
(d) She tries to find a renter for the room.
9. What are Janusz, Bruno and Franek going across Europe in the hope of doing?
(a) Joining the fight against Russia and Germany.
(b) Escaping the war and wait.
(c) Buying a farm.
(d) Starting a new life.
10. What is the name of the neighbor Silvana meets?
11. What does Janusz say that both he and Silvana know is not true?
(a) People stay the same.
(b) People never stop loving.
(c) People can change.
(d) People can adapt.
12. What is Silvana disappointed in according to pages 29-56?
(a) That Janusz doen;t have a good job.
(b) That the house is small.
(c) That Janusz has no car.
(d) That England has the same battle scars as Poland.
13. What does Aurek not understand in his first night in the new house?
(a) How to stay indoor.
(b) What is happening between his mother and father.
(c) How to eat with silverware.
(d) How to sleep on a bed.
14. Why are Aurek and his new friend forgiven for their behavior?
(a) Their parents do not know.
(b) They both find friends.
(c) They are both war survivors.
(d) Their parents do not think skipping school is a big deal.
15. What does Aurek consider his father to be at the start of Pages 120-149?
(a) His competitor.
(b) The enemy.
(c) His friend.
(d) His uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aurek not ready for?
2. Why is Silvana fired from her job?
3. What does Gregor tell Silvana he is?
4. Why does Janusz stay in the farmhouse he comes across?
5. What is Janusz shocked about?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)