|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jenks treat Chessy?
2. What does Cindy do at Women's Murder Club when she hears about the novel Jenks wrote?
3. How does Raleigh respond to the news about Lindsay's illness?
4. Why does Lindsay visit with her doctor once she returns to San Francisco?
5. What does the doctor decide to do for Lindsay when she visits after returning to San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Women's Murder Club react to Lindsay's suggestion that she has arrested the wrong man?
2. What was especially cruel about Jenks leaving Joanna?
3. When Lindsay arrives at the Palace of Fine Arts, what does she find?
4. How does Cindy learn that the San Francisco writers' guild has an old copy of Jenks' book?
5. Why does Lindsay think that Joanna might be the real killer?
6. How does Lindsay start to feel about her illness after her doctor mentions she might need a bone marrow transplant?
7. What happens to Lindsay when Jenks threatens her during questioning?
8. Why is Nicholas Jenks' red beard significant to Lindsay?
9. Why is Lindsay's recollection that Jenks is left-handed important?
10. What does Joanna say when Lindsay asks if Nicholas is capable of murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why it was necessary for Raleigh to die in "1st to Die." Make sure to discuss what effect his death has on the text in general and on Lindsay in particular -- and why those consequences were necessary for the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least four features of Nicholas Jenks and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary techniques Patterson uses to make one character of your choosing from the Women's Murder Club very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)