|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers Joanna's dead body?
2. What does Raleigh tell Lindsay he has discovered about Jenks' gun?
3. Who is the first person Lindsay begins to think is the killer?
4. How does Raleigh respond to the news about Lindsay's illness?
5. Whom does Lindsay finally convince to tell her the name of Kathy's abusive ex-boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lindsay learn about Jenks by looking at his picture on the back of one of his books?
2. What does Jill share with the Women's Murder Club about her own experience with illness?
3. What happens to Lindsay when Jenks threatens her during questioning?
4. Why does Lindsay think the killer, Chessy, is headed to the Palace of Fine Arts?
5. What was especially cruel about Jenks leaving Joanna?
6. What does Joanna say when Lindsay asks if Nicholas is capable of murder?
7. When Lindsay arrives at the Palace of Fine Arts, what does she find?
8. Why is Lindsay's recollection that Jenks is left-handed important?
9. Why does Jill assure Lindsay of the first time they meet to discuss the case?
10. Why is Nicholas Jenks' red beard significant to Lindsay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "1st to Die" could be classified in a genre other than murder mystery, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three ways that the violence and/or murder scenes in "1st to Die" are gratuitously violent and why such violence takes away from the plot and/or rest of the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary techniques Patterson uses to make one character of your choosing from the Women's Murder Club very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)