|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lindsay's doctor show her a slide of during her first appointment in the novel?
2. How does Lindsay's boss feel about the press coverage of the bridge and groom case?
3. How do Claire and Lindsay greet each other when they first meet in the novel?
4. Why does Kathy join James in the bathroom.
5. How does Lindsay's doctor want to treat her illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the sales associate at Saks react to the strange man watching Becky try on her wedding dress?
2. What happens to Lindsay when she goes back to the Brandts hotel room for the second time?
3. What is Lindsay thinking about as she waits to see her doctor for the first time?
4. How does Raleigh react to the DeGeorge murders?
5. What is the reader supposed to assume about the strange man watching Becky Passeneu at Saks?
6. What is the situation with the security cameras at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
7. What is Lindsay Boxer doing in the Prologue?
8. What causes Lindsay to cry at the end of Chapter 25?
9. What does Kathy Voskuhl's family tell Lindsay about an old boyfriend of hers?
10. How does Gerald Brandt's respond to Lindsay's call about his business dealings after the story hits the paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Brandt murder scene 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least three key facts about Lindsay that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Patterson uses to create tension in "1st to Die."
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least three things that Patterson is able to do with the character of Lindsay because she is a woman AND at least three things he is *not* able to do with her because she is a woman.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)