|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lindsay's marital status when the novel opens?
2. What clothing items is Jacobi trying to trace down for Lindsay?
3. Who is Becky Passeneu?
4. Why does Kathy join James in the bathroom.
5. What does Lindsay's doctor advise her to do when he gives her the diagnosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of illness is Lindsay diagnosed with?
2. How does the sales associate at Saks react to the strange man watching Becky try on her wedding dress?
3. How does Phillip Campbell react when he walks by the crowd gathering outside of the hotel where the Brandts have been found murdered?
4. What is the reader supposed to assume about the strange man watching Becky Passeneu at Saks?
5. What does Kathy Voskuhl's family tell Lindsay about an old boyfriend of hers?
6. What causes Lindsay to cry at the end of Chapter 25?
7. What does Lindsay learn about Kathy Voskuhl's life before she got married?
8. How does Gerald Brandt's respond to Lindsay's call about his business dealings after the story hits the paper?
9. What is Lindsay doing when she learns that the DeGeorges have been murdered?
10. What in particular disturbs Lindsay about the Brandt murder scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the novel seems to conclude with all of the loose ends being tied up, the reader learns from the Prologue that Lindsay is extremely depressed by the time the story ends. Discuss what three things most contribute to Lindsay's unhappiness and why Patterson may have chosen to have his strong, intelligent protagonist so unhappy at the novel's conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Brandt murder scene 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least three key facts about Lindsay that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three ways that the violence and/or murder scenes in "1st to Die" are gratuitously violent and why such violence takes away from the plot and/or rest of the text.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)