|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melanie Brandt's father do for a living?
2. Where does the novel's first murder scene take place?
3. What do Lindsay and Raleigh do for the first time while out of town investigating the Voskuhl murders?
4. Who is Lindsay's only family member?
5. How does Lindsay's boss feel about the press coverage of the bridge and groom case?
Short Essay Questions
1. After seeing the sketch of the murder suspect, what does the witness tell Lindsay?
2. Why does Lindsay's doctor want to treat her with blood transfusions?
3. What is the purpose of the Women's Murder Club?
4. How does Claire respond to Lindsay's news about her illness?
5. What in particular disturbs Lindsay about the Brandt murder scene?
6. What kind of couple are David and Melanie Brandt?
7. How does Phillip Campbell react when he walks by the crowd gathering outside of the hotel where the Brandts have been found murdered?
8. How does Cindy sneak her way into the hotel where the Brandts have been murdered?
9. What two aspects of the Brandt crime scene does Lindsay notice that later become important for the case?
10. What does Cindy say to Lindsay as she slips her her business card in the hotel bathroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least five reasons why the Women's Murder Club could OR could not work in real life. Make sure to use examples from "1st to Die" to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least four aspects of "1st to Die" that can easily be carried over into a second novel in a Women's Murder Club mystery series.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary techniques Patterson uses to make one character of your choosing from the Women's Murder Club very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)