|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": In Iphigenia's dream, what do Orestes and Pylades try to take from the temple?
2. "The Bacchants": How does Pentheus disguise himself to go view the rites on the hill?
3. "Trojan Women": To what does Cassandra say she will be thrown to after being killed?
4. "The Bacchants": Under whose rule did the people not respected the Bacchic rites?
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What do the Taurians perform for their goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Electra": What do Castor and Pollux tell Orestes and Electra?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why does Iphigenia think human sacrifice is practiced in Taurus?
3. What are the first spoken lines in "Iphigenia at Aulis"?
4. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Agamemnon try to tell his daughter not to come to the camp?
5. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Achilles vow to defend Iphigenia?
6. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
7. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What prophecy has Calchas made?
8. "The Bacchants": What do Cadmus and Tiresias discuss on their way to the bacchanal celebration?
9. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
10. "The Bacchants": After the stranger escapes from jail, what tale does the herdsman tell Pentheus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 2
How does Euripides characterize the gods? Support your answer with at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Which play is Euripides' best play? His worst? Why?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)