|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Electra": Electra begins with the speech of a peasant from where?
2. "Electra": Orestes asks the Electra's peasant husband to go find someone he remembers. Who is the man?
3. "The Bacchants": What did the women use to rip apart the cattle?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who tells Iphigenia that there are two strangers in their land?
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Whom did Iphigenia's father tell her she was going to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Electra": When Electra meets her brother and thinks he is a messenger, what does she tell him?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who is Iphigenia?
3. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What dream does Iphigenia have at the beginning of the play?
5. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What prophecy has Calchas made?
6. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Agamemnon try to tell his daughter not to come to the camp?
7. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
8. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
9. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Achilles vow to defend Iphigenia?
10. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Euripides characterize the gods? Support your answer with at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Which play is Euripides' best play? His worst? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between justice and injustice as described in the plays? Cite three examples in support of your answer.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)