|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Bacchants": Who has not respected his Bacchic rites?
2. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra say her death is the working of?
3. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Where does Agamemnon put his family when they arrive?
4. "The Bacchants": What does Pentheus say are dancing in the countryside?
5. "The Bacchants": What did the women use to rip apart the cattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
3. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
4. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
5. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
6. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
7. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra tell Hecuba after her prediction about Agamemnon?
8. "The Bacchants": Why does Dionysus plot against the Thebans?
9. "Electra": What do Castor and Pollux tell Orestes and Electra?
10. "Electra": When Electra meets her brother and thinks he is a messenger, what does she tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between justice and injustice as described in the plays? Cite three examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)