|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Which goddess does Iphigenia serve?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Where does Iphigenia think her brother is when she is going to release one of the men to take a message to him?
3. "The Bacchants": What did the women use to rip apart the cattle?
4. "The Bacchants": What do Tiresias and the king want to do at the bacchanal celebration?
5. "The Bacchants": What is Tiresias's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The Bacchants": After the stranger escapes from jail, what tale does the herdsman tell Pentheus?
2. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
3. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba upset about Agamemnon taking Cassandra?
4. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
6. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
7. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
8. What are the first spoken lines in "Iphigenia at Aulis"?
9. "Iphigenia at Aulis": How does Agamemnon convince his daughter and wife to come to his camp?
10. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of myth for the Ancient Greeks? How does this role play a part in each play?
Essay Topic 2
What is a Deus ex Machina? How does Euripides use it?
Essay Topic 3
What are three types of irony and how does Euripides use them in his plays? Give at least one example for each type of irony.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)