|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What is Iphigenia doing while pleading with Agamemnon not to sacrifice her?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Whom did Iphigenia's father tell her she was going to marry?
3. "The Bacchants": What is the name of the special staff that followers of Dionysus carry?
4. "The Bacchants": Who leads the attack on Pentheus?
5. "Electra": What does the king want the entrails of the animal for?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The Bacchants": What do Cadmus and Tiresias discuss on their way to the bacchanal celebration?
2. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
3. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What prophecy has Calchas made?
4. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
5. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
6. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Agamemnon try to tell his daughter not to come to the camp?
7. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
8. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
9. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why does Iphigenia think human sacrifice is practiced in Taurus?
10. "Electra": What do Castor and Pollux tell Orestes and Electra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the Ancient Greeks, is there a difference between love and lust? What evidence is presented in the plays to support your position?
Essay Topic 2
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)