|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Electra": Whom did Electra's mother help to kill?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Once they are on the ship, what does the sea do?
3. "Electra": What does the king want the entrails of the animal for?
4. "Iphigenia at Aulis" begins with a speech that has been what?
5. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What is Iphigenia doing while pleading with Agamemnon not to sacrifice her?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
2. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
3. "Electra": When Electra meets her brother and thinks he is a messenger, what does she tell him?
4. "The Bacchants": After the stranger escapes from jail, what tale does the herdsman tell Pentheus?
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
6. "The Bacchants": Why does Dionysus plot against the Thebans?
7. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What happens when Iphigenia is sacrificed?
8. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
9. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
10. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
Essay Topic 2
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
Essay Topic 3
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)