|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Bacchants": When Pentheus is told not to blaspheme the gods, what emotion does he feel?
2. "Electra": Who is Orestes' father?
3. "Trojan Women": The play begins after the fall of what city?
4. "Electra": Where is Orestes going to be tried and acquitted?
5. "The Bacchants": Who has not respected his Bacchic rites?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The Bacchants": Why does Dionysus plot against the Thebans?
2. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
3. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
4. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
5. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
6. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What happens when Iphigenia is sacrificed?
7. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
8. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Agamemnon try to tell his daughter not to come to the camp?
9. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
10. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between justice and injustice as described in the plays? Cite three examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)