|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Trojan Women": What happens to the citadel when Hecuba is done burying her grandson?
2. "The Bacchants": What is Tiresias's job?
3. "The Bacchants": What is the name of the special staff that followers of Dionysus carry?
4. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Who does Agamemnon claim will rise up against him if he does not sacrifice Iphigenia?
5. "Electra": Who is Orestes' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra tell Hecuba after her prediction about Agamemnon?
2. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
3. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
4. "The Bacchants": What do Cadmus and Tiresias discuss on their way to the bacchanal celebration?
5. "Electra": Why does the king ask Orestes to kill the bull?
6. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
7. "The Bacchants": Why does Dionysus plot against the Thebans?
8. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Achilles vow to defend Iphigenia?
9. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
10. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
Essay Topic 2
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between justice and injustice as described in the plays? Cite three examples in support of your answer.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)