|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Electra": Aegisthus married Electra to the peasant so she cannot have what?
2. "Trojan Women": The play begins after the fall of what city?
3. "Electra": Who tells Electra Aegisthus is successfully murdered?
4. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What is Iphigenia doing while pleading with Agamemnon not to sacrifice her?
5. "The Bacchants": What does Pentheus say are dancing in the countryside?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
2. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
3. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who is Iphigenia?
6. "The Bacchants": After the stranger escapes from jail, what tale does the herdsman tell Pentheus?
7. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
8. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba upset about Agamemnon taking Cassandra?
9. "The Bacchants": What do Cadmus and Tiresias discuss on their way to the bacchanal celebration?
10. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a chorus? How does Euripides use the chorus? Cite as many examples from the plays as you can in support of your position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
Essay Topic 3
What are three types of irony and how does Euripides use them in his plays? Give at least one example for each type of irony.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)