|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Bacchants": What did the women use to rip apart the cattle?
2. "Trojan Women": How do the Greeks kill Andromache's son?
3. "Trojan Women": Before the Greeks take her to whom is Cassandra is a servant?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Which goddess appears and prevents the king from killing Iphigenia and Orestes?
5. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What does Agamemnon give to the servant to take to his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
2. "Electra": Why does the king ask Orestes to kill the bull?
3. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
5. "Electra": When Electra meets her brother and thinks he is a messenger, what does she tell him?
6. "Iphigenia at Aulis": How does Agamemnon convince his daughter and wife to come to his camp?
7. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
8. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra tell Hecuba after her prediction about Agamemnon?
9. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
10. "The Bacchants": After the stranger escapes from jail, what tale does the herdsman tell Pentheus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Medea says women are disadvantaged. Explain Medea's reasoning. Give 2 - 3 examples of women in Euripides other plays that meet, or do not meet, Medea's expectations of women.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between Greeks and barbarians? Why is this difference important in the plays? Give at least three examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is a Deus ex Machina? How does Euripides use it?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)