|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Whom did Apollo want to stop when he told Orestes and Pylades to take the item from the temple?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Iphigenia was intended to be a sacrifice but was spirited away to where?
3. "Trojan Women": Hecuba laments the death of whom?
4. "The Bacchants": What do Tiresias and the king want to do at the bacchanal celebration?
5. "Electra": Where does Orestes plans to ambush the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
2. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
3. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
4. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What prophecy has Calchas made?
5. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
6. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
7. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who is Iphigenia?
8. "Electra": Why does the king ask Orestes to kill the bull?
9. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What happens when Iphigenia is sacrificed?
10. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba upset about Agamemnon taking Cassandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the examples provided in the play, what is the distinction made between following the rules and averting tragedy? How is this related to the distinction between nature and convention?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)