|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Trojan Women": With which Greek man does Cassandra go?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What reason does Iphigenia give to the king for taking an item out of the temple?
3. "The Bacchants": How does Pentheus disguise himself to go view the rites on the hill?
4. "Trojan Women": What activities are heard during the opening scene?
5. "Iphigenia at Aulis": The prophet has said that the lack of wind is the work of what goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
3. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What happens when Iphigenia is sacrificed?
4. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
5. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
6. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who is Iphigenia?
7. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
8. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What prophecy has Calchas made?
9. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
10. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why does Iphigenia think human sacrifice is practiced in Taurus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
Essay Topic 2
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
Essay Topic 3
What are three types of irony and how does Euripides use them in his plays? Give at least one example for each type of irony.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)