|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Electra": Aegisthus married Electra to the peasant so she cannot have what?
2. "Trojan Women": What activities are heard during the opening scene?
3. "Iphigenia at Aulis" begins with a speech that has been what?
4. "The Bacchants": What is Tiresias's main characteristic?
5. "Trojan Women": Hecuba laments the death of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first spoken lines in "Iphigenia at Aulis"?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
3. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What dream does Iphigenia have at the beginning of the play?
5. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
6. "The Bacchants": Why does Dionysus plot against the Thebans?
7. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What happens when Iphigenia is sacrificed?
8. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who is Iphigenia?
9. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
10. "Electra": Why does the king ask Orestes to kill the bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Deus ex Machina? How does Euripides use it?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
Essay Topic 3
What is a chorus? How does Euripides use the chorus? Cite as many examples from the plays as you can in support of your position.
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)