|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Which goddess does Iphigenia serve?
2. "The Bacchants": Who has not respected his Bacchic rites?
3. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who tells the king of Iphigenia's deceit?
4. "Trojan Women": When does the king say he will kill Helen?
5. "The Bacchants": When Pentheus is told not to blaspheme the gods, what emotion does he feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
2. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
3. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
4. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why does Iphigenia think human sacrifice is practiced in Taurus?
6. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What happens when Iphigenia is sacrificed?
7. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
8. "Electra": What do Castor and Pollux tell Orestes and Electra?
9. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What prophecy has Calchas made?
10. "Electra": Why does the king ask Orestes to kill the bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of myth for the Ancient Greeks? How does this role play a part in each play?
Essay Topic 3
Medea says women are disadvantaged. Explain Medea's reasoning. Give 2 - 3 examples of women in Euripides other plays that meet, or do not meet, Medea's expectations of women.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)