|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What lie does Agamemnon tell in order to get Iphigenia to come to be sacrificed?
2. "The Bacchants": What is Tiresias's job?
3. "Electra": Orestes asks the Electra's peasant husband to go find someone he remembers. Who is the man?
4. "Electra": When did Orestes and his friend Pylades flee from Aegisthus?
5. "The Bacchants": Who leads the attack on Pentheus?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why does Iphigenia think human sacrifice is practiced in Taurus?
3. "Electra": When Electra meets her brother and thinks he is a messenger, what does she tell him?
4. "Electra": Why does the king ask Orestes to kill the bull?
5. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
6. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
7. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
8. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
9. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
10. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who is Iphigenia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Deus ex Machina? How does Euripides use it?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between justice and injustice as described in the plays? Cite three examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of myth for the Ancient Greeks? How does this role play a part in each play?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)