|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Electra": Whom did Electra's mother help to kill?
2. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Who does Agamemnon claim will rise up against him if he does not sacrifice Iphigenia?
3. "Electra":, Why has Electra's husband not slept with her?
4. "Electra": How is Electra going to lure her mother out to her house?
5. "Electra": Who tells Electra Aegisthus is successfully murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What dream does Iphigenia have at the beginning of the play?
3. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
4. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
5. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
6. "Electra": Why has Aegisthus married Electra to a peasant?
7. "Electra": Why does the king ask Orestes to kill the bull?
8. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Agamemnon try to tell his daughter not to come to the camp?
9. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra predict as the fate of Agamemnon?
10. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
Essay Topic 2
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the examples provided in the play, what is the distinction made between following the rules and averting tragedy? How is this related to the distinction between nature and convention?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)