|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Where will Iphigenia take the two men to clean them and help them escape?
2. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Who spirited Iphigenia away from the sacrifice?
3. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What is the name of Agamemnon's wife?
4. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Who stole Helen?
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What do the Taurians perform for their goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Electra": Why does the king ask Orestes to kill the bull?
2. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
3. What are the first spoken lines in "Iphigenia at Aulis"?
4. "Electra": Why has Aegisthus married Electra to a peasant?
5. "The Bacchants": Why does Dionysus plot against the Thebans?
6. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
7. "Electra": When Electra meets her brother and thinks he is a messenger, what does she tell him?
8. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
9. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
10. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the examples provided in the play, what is the distinction made between following the rules and averting tragedy? How is this related to the distinction between nature and convention?
Essay Topic 3
Medea says women are disadvantaged. Explain Medea's reasoning. Give 2 - 3 examples of women in Euripides other plays that meet, or do not meet, Medea's expectations of women.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)