|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Bacchants": What is Tiresias's main characteristic?
2. "The Bacchants": Who has not respected his Bacchic rites?
3. "The Bacchants": What does Pentheus say are dancing in the countryside?
4. "Electra": How is Electra going to lure her mother out to her house?
5. "The Bacchants": What kind of wreaths do the followers of Dionysus wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The Bacchants": Why does Dionysus plot against the Thebans?
2. "Electra": What do Castor and Pollux tell Orestes and Electra?
3. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why does Iphigenia think human sacrifice is practiced in Taurus?
5. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
6. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
7. "Electra": Why has Aegisthus married Electra to a peasant?
8. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
9. "The Bacchants": After the stranger escapes from jail, what tale does the herdsman tell Pentheus?
10. "Electra": When Electra meets her brother and thinks he is a messenger, what does she tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which play is Euripides' best play? His worst? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Trojan Women", how does Euripides cast his emotions into the play? Provide three examples.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)