|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Bacchants": What kind of wreaths do the followers of Dionysus wear?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What rank does Iphigenia hold as a priestess?
3. "Electra": The king has heard that Thessalians are master butchers of what?
4. "Electra": What does Orestes drop on the king's head when the king is looking at the entrails?
5. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What history does Agamemnon discuss at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Electra": Why has Aegisthus married Electra to a peasant?
2. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
3. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Achilles vow to defend Iphigenia?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What dream does Iphigenia have at the beginning of the play?
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why does Iphigenia think human sacrifice is practiced in Taurus?
6. "The Bacchants": What do Cadmus and Tiresias discuss on their way to the bacchanal celebration?
7. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
8. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
9. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
10. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Trojan Women", how does Euripides cast his emotions into the play? Provide three examples.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of myth for the Ancient Greeks? How does this role play a part in each play?
Essay Topic 3
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)