|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
2. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
3. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
4. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
5. "Medea": What does Medea claim about women?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
2. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
3. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
4. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
5. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
6. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
7. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
8. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
9. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
10. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 2
For the Ancient Greeks, is there a difference between love and lust? What evidence is presented in the plays to support your position?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the role of family in at least three plays.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)