|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
2. "Ion": During what event must Xuthus have impregnated a local girl according to Ion and Xuthus?
3. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
4. "Hippolytus": After Hippolytus dies, what does Theseus tell the chorus that he was?
5. "Medea": What does the chorus fear Medea will do unless she is calmed?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
2. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
3. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
4. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
5. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
6. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
7. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
8. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
9. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
10. "Alcestis": What is the argument between Apollo and Death about at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Deus ex Machina? How does Euripides use it?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the plays, do the Ancient Greeks think they can defy the gods or do the Gods rule them? Give at least three examples in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the role of family in at least three plays.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)