|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": After Hippolytus dies, what does Theseus tell the chorus that he was?
2. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
3. "Andromache": Who is Hermione?
4. "Medea": What reason does Medea give Creon for staying one more day?
5. "Andromache": Of what place is Menelaus king?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
2. "Trojan Women": What does Cassandra tell Hecuba after her prediction about Agamemnon?
3. "Trojan Women": Why has Athena decided to attack her former allies?
4. "Electra": Why has Aegisthus married Electra to a peasant?
5. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What prophecy has Calchas made?
6. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What dream does Iphigenia have at the beginning of the play?
7. "The Bacchants": After the stranger escapes from jail, what tale does the herdsman tell Pentheus?
8. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
9. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
10. "Electra": What is the plan the tutor and Orestes make to kill Aegisthus?
Essay Topic 1
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
Essay Topic 3
What is a Deus ex Machina? How does Euripides use it?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)