|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": Who begins the play "Medea" in a lament?
2. "Medea": Medea claims that women are the unhappiest creatures on earth for a second reason. What is the second reason?
3. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
4. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
5. "Alcestis": Pheres is what relation to Admetus?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
2. "Iphigenia at Aulis": Why does Achilles vow to defend Iphigenia?
3. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What dream does Iphigenia have at the beginning of the play?
5. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
6. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
7. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
8. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
9. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
10. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the plays, do the Ancient Greeks think they can defy the gods or do the Gods rule them? Give at least three examples in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)