|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
2. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
3. "Ion": Who tries to get Creusa to kill Xuthus and Ion?
4. "Andromache": What is Andromache's relationship to Neoptolemos?
5. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
2. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
3. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
4. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
5. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
6. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
7. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
8. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
9. "Alcestis": What is the argument between Apollo and Death about at the beginning of the play?
10. "Hippolytus": How was Hippolytus killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the examples provided in the play, what is the distinction made between following the rules and averting tragedy? How is this related to the distinction between nature and convention?
Essay Topic 2
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)