|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": Medea states that women are generally timid. What does she say will make them become deadly?
2. "Medea": What reason does Medea give Creon for staying one more day?
3. "Alcestis": Admetus's wife says she is dying because it is her natural duty and for another reason.Admetus's What is it?
4. "Ion": What condition do Xuthus and Creusa travel to the oracle to cure?
5. "Andromache": Where does Orestes plan to ambush Neoptolemos?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
2. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
3. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
4. "Medea": Describe Medea.
5. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
6. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
7. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
8. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
9. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
10. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between justice and injustice as described in the plays? Cite three examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the examples provided in the play, what is the distinction made between following the rules and averting tragedy? How is this related to the distinction between nature and convention?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of myth for the Ancient Greeks? How does this role play a part in each play?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)