|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
2. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
3. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
4. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
5. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
2. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
3. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
4. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
5. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
6. "The Bacchants": What does the stranger convince Pentheus to do after he hears the tale from the herdsman?
7. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
8. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba upset about Agamemnon taking Cassandra?
9. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
10. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why does Iphigenia think human sacrifice is practiced in Taurus?
Essay Topic 1
Medea says women are disadvantaged. Explain Medea's reasoning. Give 2 - 3 examples of women in Euripides other plays that meet, or do not meet, Medea's expectations of women.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the plays, do the Ancient Greeks think they can defy the gods or do the Gods rule them? Give at least three examples in support of your position.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)