|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": Who begins the play "Medea" in a lament?
2. "Medea": Medea states that women are generally timid. What does she say will make them become deadly?
3. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
4. "Andromache": With what does Peleus threaten to beat Menelaus to death?
5. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
2. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
3. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
4. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
5. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
6. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
7. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
8. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
9. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
10. "Medea": Describe Medea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
Essay Topic 3
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)