|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
2. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
3. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
4. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
5. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba upset about Agamemnon taking Cassandra?
2. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
3. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
4. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
5. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
6. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
7. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
8. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
9. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
10. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
Essay Topic 1
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between Greeks and barbarians? Why is this difference important in the plays? Give at least three examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)