|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
2. "Alcestis": Where does Admetus rule?
3. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
4. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
5. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Medea": Describe Medea.
2. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
3. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
4. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
5. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
6. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
7. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
8. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
9. "Alcestis": What is the argument between Apollo and Death about at the beginning of the play?
10. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between Greeks and barbarians? Why is this difference important in the plays? Give at least three examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Medea says women are disadvantaged. Explain Medea's reasoning. Give 2 - 3 examples of women in Euripides other plays that meet, or do not meet, Medea's expectations of women.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the examples provided in the play, what is the distinction made between following the rules and averting tragedy? How is this related to the distinction between nature and convention?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)