|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
2. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
3. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
4. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
5. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
2. What are the first spoken lines in "Iphigenia at Aulis"?
3. "Medea": Describe Medea.
4. "Electra": What do Castor and Pollux tell Orestes and Electra?
5. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
6. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
7. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
8. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What happens when Iphigenia is sacrificed?
9. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
10. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the examples provided in the play, what is the distinction made between following the rules and averting tragedy? How is this related to the distinction between nature and convention?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role of family in at least three plays.
Essay Topic 3
What is a chorus? How does Euripides use the chorus? Cite as many examples from the plays as you can in support of your position.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)