|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
2. "Andromache": Where does the goddess tell Peleus to bury Neoptolemos?
3. "Andromache": Where does Orestes plan to ambush Neoptolemos?
4. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
5. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
2. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
3. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
4. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
5. "Hippolytus": How was Hippolytus killed?
6. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
7. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
8. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
9. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
10. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
Essay Topic 2
What is a chorus? How does Euripides use the chorus? Cite as many examples from the plays as you can in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)