|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
2. "Alcestis": Who is confused by Admetus's behavior towards Heracles?
3. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
4. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
5. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Medea": Describe Medea.
2. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
3. "Ion": How does Ion respond when Creusa says that the gods may be to blame for their troubles?
4. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
5. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
6. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
7. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
8. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
9. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
10. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the plays, do the Ancient Greeks think they can defy the gods or do the Gods rule them? Give at least three examples in support of your position.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)