|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": What does Medea claim about women?
2. "Alcestis": Who questions the handmaiden of Alcestis in the beginning of the play?
3. "Andromache": Where does Orestes plan to ambush Neoptolemos?
4. "Medea": Medea claims that women are the unhappiest creatures on earth for a second reason. What is the second reason?
5. "Andromache": Where is Orestes from?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
2. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
3. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
4. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
5. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
6. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
7. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
8. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
9. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
10. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are three types of irony and how does Euripides use them in his plays? Give at least one example for each type of irony.
Essay Topic 2
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 3
How does Euripides characterize the gods? Support your answer with at least three examples.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)