Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
2. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
3. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
4. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
5. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba upset about Agamemnon taking Cassandra?
2. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
3. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
4. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
5. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
6. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
7. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
8. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
9. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
10. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
Essay Topic 1
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 2
What are three types of irony and how does Euripides use them in his plays? Give at least one example for each type of irony.
Essay Topic 3
For the Ancient Greeks, is there a difference between love and lust? What evidence is presented in the plays to support your position?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)