|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Whom was Hermione supposed to marry?
2. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
3. "Alcestis": What is Heracles on his way to tame, when he stops at Admetus's house?
4. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
5. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
2. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
3. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
4. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
5. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
6. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
7. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
8. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
9. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
10. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of myth for the Ancient Greeks? How does this role play a part in each play?
Essay Topic 2
What is a chorus? How does Euripides use the chorus? Cite as many examples from the plays as you can in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)