|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
2. "Hippolytus": What does Hippolytus give to Artemis's statue?
3. "Ion": Who tries to get Creusa to kill Xuthus and Ion?
4. "Medea": What does Medea need to find before she carries out her plans for Jason?
5. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": How was Hippolytus killed?
2. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
3. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
4. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
5. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
6. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
7. "Medea": Describe Medea.
8. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
9. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
10. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Deus ex Machina? How does Euripides use it?
Essay Topic 2
For the Ancient Greeks, is there a difference between love and lust? What evidence is presented in the plays to support your position?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)