|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": Who is confused by Admetus's behavior towards Heracles?
2. "Andromache": What is Andromache's relationship to Neoptolemos?
3. "Medea": Whom did Jason make an agreement with King Creon to marry?
4. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
5. "Ion": What condition do Xuthus and Creusa travel to the oracle to cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
2. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
3. "Hippolytus": How was Hippolytus killed?
4. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
5. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
6. "Ion": How does Ion respond when Creusa says that the gods may be to blame for their troubles?
7. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
8. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
9. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
10. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Trojan Women", how does Euripides cast his emotions into the play? Provide three examples.
Essay Topic 2
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between justice and injustice as described in the plays? Cite three examples in support of your answer.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)