Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
2. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
3. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
4. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
5. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba upset about Agamemnon taking Cassandra?
2. "Electra": Why has the peasant not slept with Electra?
3. "Trojan Women": Why is Hecuba enraged about being Odysseus's slave?
4. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
5. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
6. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
7. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
8. "The Bacchants": Why has Pentheus jailed several of the bacchants?
9. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
10. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a stranger, as described in the plays? What is the importance of a stranger? What evidence from the plays can you cite in support of your position?
Essay Topic 2
Medea says women are disadvantaged. Explain Medea's reasoning. Give 2 - 3 examples of women in Euripides other plays that meet, or do not meet, Medea's expectations of women.
Essay Topic 3
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)