|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
2. "Alcestis": Who is confused by Admetus's behavior towards Heracles?
3. "Andromache": Who sends a messenger to warn Neoptolemos?
4. "Medea": What reason does Medea give Creon for staying one more day?
5. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
2. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
3. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
4. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
5. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
6. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
7. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
8. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
9. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
10. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
Essay Topic 2
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the plays, do the Ancient Greeks think they can defy the gods or do the Gods rule them? Give at least three examples in support of your position.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)