|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
2. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
3. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
4. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
5. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
2. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
3. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
4. "Medea": Describe Medea.
5. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
6. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
7. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
8. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
9. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
10. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of myth for the Ancient Greeks? How does this role play a part in each play?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between Greeks and barbarians? Why is this difference important in the plays? Give at least three examples in support of your answer.
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)