|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
2. "Alcestis": Admetus's wife says she is dying because it is her natural duty and for another reason.Admetus's What is it?
3. "Andromache": Who is the son Peleus had with a goddess?
4. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
5. "Andromache": Of what place is Menelaus king?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
2. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
3. "Medea": Describe Medea.
4. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
5. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
6. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
7. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
8. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
9. "Hippolytus": How was Hippolytus killed?
10. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Medea says women are disadvantaged. Explain Medea's reasoning. Give 2 - 3 examples of women in Euripides other plays that meet, or do not meet, Medea's expectations of women.
Essay Topic 2
What are three types of irony and how does Euripides use them in his plays? Give at least one example for each type of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)