|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Where does the goddess tell Peleus to bury Neoptolemos?
2. "Ion": What does Creusa put her baby boy in?
3. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
4. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
5. "Andromache": Who sends a messenger to warn Neoptolemos?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
2. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
3. "Ion": How does Ion respond when Creusa says that the gods may be to blame for their troubles?
4. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
5. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
6. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
7. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
8. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
9. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
10. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
What is a chorus? How does Euripides use the chorus? Cite as many examples from the plays as you can in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)