|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
2. "Ion": What does Creusa put her baby boy in?
3. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
4. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
5. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
2. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
3. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
4. "Medea": Describe Medea.
5. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
6. "Hippolytus": How was Hippolytus killed?
7. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
8. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
9. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
10. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Ancient Greeks think of the role of women? What are at least three examples that support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Euripides mix tragedy and comedy in his plays? Support your answer with evidence from the plays.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)