|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Of what place is Menelaus king?
2. "Ion": What does Creusa put her baby boy in?
3. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
4. "Ion": Who tells Creusa that she will never have a child with Xuthus?
5. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
2. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
3. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
4. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
5. "Alcestis": What is the argument between Apollo and Death about at the beginning of the play?
6. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
7. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
8. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
9. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
10. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are three types of irony and how does Euripides use them in his plays? Give at least one example for each type of irony.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Trojan Women", how does Euripides cast his emotions into the play? Provide three examples.
Essay Topic 3
How do the emotions of anger, greed, and resentment motivate the characters in Euripides' plays? Give at least two examples of each emotion as motivation from different plays.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)