|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": Who tries to get Creusa to kill Xuthus and Ion?
2. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
3. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
4. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
5. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
2. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
3. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
4. "Ion": How does Ion respond when Creusa says that the gods may be to blame for their troubles?
5. "Medea": Describe Medea.
6. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
7. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
8. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
9. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
10. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
Essay Topic 2
According to the information presented in the plays by Euripides, what is the difference between Sparta and Athens? Which does Euripides like better and how do you know this from reading the plays?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between Greeks and barbarians? Why is this difference important in the plays? Give at least three examples in support of your answer.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)