|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": When the scene shifts to Phaedra and her nurse, what condition is Phaedra in?
2. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
3. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
4. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
5. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
2. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
3. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
4. "Alcestis": What is the argument between Apollo and Death about at the beginning of the play?
5. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
6. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
7. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
8. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
9. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
10. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the examples provided in the play, what is the distinction made between following the rules and averting tragedy? How is this related to the distinction between nature and convention?
Essay Topic 2
What is a chorus? How does Euripides use the chorus? Cite as many examples from the plays as you can in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
How does Euripides characterize the gods? Support your answer with at least three examples.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)