|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Of what place is Menelaus king?
2. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
3. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
4. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
5. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Ion": How does Ion respond when Creusa says that the gods may be to blame for their troubles?
2. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
3. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
4. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
5. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
6. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
7. "Medea": Describe Medea.
8. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
9. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
10. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Euripides believe roles in society are established by convention or by nature? What are three examples from plays that support your answer?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role of family in at least three plays.
Essay Topic 3
For the Ancient Greeks, is there a difference between love and lust? What evidence is presented in the plays to support your position?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)