|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Where is Orestes from?
2. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
3. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
4. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
5. "Andromache": Of whom is Andromache a widow?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Medea": Describe Medea.
2. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
3. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
4. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
5. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
6. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
7. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
8. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
9. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
10. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the Ancient Greeks, is there a difference between love and lust? What evidence is presented in the plays to support your position?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role of family in at least three plays.
Essay Topic 3
What are three types of irony and how does Euripides use them in his plays? Give at least one example for each type of irony.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)