|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Andromache": Of whom is Andromache a widow?
2. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
3. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
(b) Waging war.
(d) Playing the lyre.
4. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
(a) At the house.
(b) On the road.
(c) At the cliffs.
(d) At the temple.
5. "Hippolytus": Where is Hippolytus's father in exile?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
2. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
3. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
4. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
5. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
2. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
3. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
4. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
5. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
6. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
7. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
8. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
9. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
10. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)