|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
(c) The sea.
2. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
(a) In Sparta.
(b) In Sicily.
(c) In Athens.
(d) In Macedonia.
3. "Medea": Whom did Jason make an agreement with King Creon to marry?
(a) Creon's niece.
(b) Creon's aunt.
(c) Creon's daughter.
(d) Creon's sister.
4. "Alcestis": Where does Admetus rule?
5. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Who tells Phaedra that mortals cannot control the will of the gods?
2. "Andromache": Whom was Hermione supposed to marry?
3. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
4. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
5. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
2. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
3. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
4. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
5. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
6. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
7. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
8. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
9. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
10. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)