|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
(a) The nurse.
(b) The handmaiden.
(c) The servant.
(d) The priestess.
2. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
3. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
(b) Pay money.
(c) Make a sacrifice.
(d) Sing a song.
4. "Andromache": Whom does Andromache send to fetch Peleus?
(a) The priestess.
(b) The shepherd.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her handmaiden.
5. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
(c) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
2. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
3. "Alcestis": Who questions the handmaiden of Alcestis in the beginning of the play?
4. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
5. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
2. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
3. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
4. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
5. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
6. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
7. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
8. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
9. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
10. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)