|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
(b) The Fates.
2. "Ion": How is Xuthus described?
(a) A barbarian.
(b) A learned man.
(c) A stranger.
(d) A non-Athenian.
3. "Alcestis": Admetus's wife says she is dying because it is her natural duty and for another reason.Admetus's What is it?
(a) She does not want her children to go fatherless.
(b) She does not want to live anymore.
(c) She does not want the kingdom to suffer.
(d) She does not want her husband to die.
4. "Ion": How is Creusa supposed to kill Xuthus and Ion?
(a) With a horse.
(b) With a sword.
(c) With poison.
(d) With an accident.
5. "Andromache": Whom was Hermione supposed to marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What does Hippolytus give to Artemis's statue?
2. "Alcestis": Where does Admetus rule?
3. "Hippolytus": When the scene shifts to Phaedra and her nurse, what condition is Phaedra in?
4. "Alcestis": What is the name of the son who discusses his sorrow with Admetus?
5. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
2. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
3. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
4. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
5. "The Bacchants": After the stranger escapes from jail, what tale does the herdsman tell Pentheus?
6. What are the first spoken lines in "Iphigenia at Aulis"?
7. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
8. "Trojan Women": What does Hecuba tell Menelaus?
9. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
10. "Iphigenia at Aulis": How does Agamemnon convince his daughter and wife to come to his camp?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)