|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Alcestis": Pheres is what relation to Admetus?
(a) His son.
(b) His nephew.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His father.
2. "Ion": How is Creusa supposed to kill Xuthus and Ion?
(a) With a horse.
(b) With an accident.
(c) With poison.
(d) With a sword.
3. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
4. "Medea": Medea claims that women are the unhappiest creatures on earth for a second reason. What is the second reason?
(a) They have to bear the terror of childbirth.
(b) They have to teach children.
(c) They have to live with men.
(d) They have to live as mothers to children.
5. "Alcestis": Who is confused by Admetus's behavior towards Heracles?
(a) Heracles and Pheres.
(b) The kingdom.
(c) The children.
(d) Heracles and the chorus.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
2. "Hippolytus": Who is Hippolytus's father?
3. "Andromache": With what does Peleus threaten to beat Menelaus to death?
4. "Alcestis": What does the chorus think the upcoming death Admetus's wife is like?
5. "Andromache": Of whom is Andromache a widow?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What is the argument between Apollo and Death about at the beginning of the play?
2. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
3. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
4. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
5. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
6. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
7. "Ion": How does Ion respond when Creusa says that the gods may be to blame for their troubles?
8. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
9. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
10. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)