|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Ion": How is Xuthus described?
(a) A barbarian.
(b) A stranger.
(c) A learned man.
(d) A non-Athenian.
2. "Hippolytus": Who gave Theseus the wish he uses to call down death on Hippolytus?
3. "Ion": What condition do Xuthus and Creusa travel to the oracle to cure?
4. "Andromache": Where is Andromache from?
5. "Ion": How is Creusa supposed to kill Xuthus and Ion?
(a) With a horse.
(b) With poison.
(c) With an accident.
(d) With a sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": What does the chorus fear Medea will do unless she is calmed?
2. "Hippolytus": Who tells Phaedra that mortals cannot control the will of the gods?
3. "Medea": What does Medea need to find before she carries out her plans for Jason?
4. "Hippolytus": When the scene shifts to Phaedra and her nurse, what condition is Phaedra in?
5. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
2. "Alcestis": What is the argument between Apollo and Death about at the beginning of the play?
3. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
4. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
5. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
6. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
7. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
8. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
9. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
10. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)