|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
(b) The sea.
2. "Hippolytus": Who tells Phaedra that mortals cannot control the will of the gods?
(a) Her handmaiden.
(b) Her servant.
(c) Her cook.
(d) Her nurse.
3. "Hippolytus": Where is Hippolytus's father in exile?
4. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
(a) A letter.
(b) Some gold.
(c) Some of her possessions.
(d) Some jewelry.
5. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
(a) Creon's manservant.
(c) The general.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": What is Andromache's relationship to Neoptolemos?
2. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
3. "Ion": After Creusa gives birth to a boy, to where does she take him?
4. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
5. "Ion": Who tries to get Creusa to kill Xuthus and Ion?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
2. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
3. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
4. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
5. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
6. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
7. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
8. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
9. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
10. "Ion": How does Ion respond when Creusa says that the gods may be to blame for their troubles?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)