|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
(a) How he can get children.
(b) How he can kill Creon.
(c) How he can live as a king.
(d) How he can get to Jason.
2. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
3. "Medea": What does Medea need to find before she carries out her plans for Jason?
(a) Money to travel.
(b) A safe haven for her flight.
(c) A place to go.
(d) A safe home for her children.
4. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
(b) His wife.
(d) His daughter.
5. "Medea": What does the chorus fear Medea will do unless she is calmed?
(a) Abandon her children.
(b) Unleash her fury on the house of Creon.
(c) Kill everyone in her house.
(d) Kill herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Who gave Theseus the wish he uses to call down death on Hippolytus?
2. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
3. "Medea": Who is Medea?
4. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
5. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
2. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
3. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
4. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
5. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
6. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
7. "Hippolytus": What tactic does Aphrodite use to begin her plot of revenge?
8. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
9. "Medea": What does the nurse learn while gossiping with the tutor?
10. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)