|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
(a) Go mad.
(b) Leave the children.
(d) Hire a nanny.
2. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
(a) Phaedra's uncle.
(b) Phaedra's stepson.
(c) Phaedra's grandson.
(d) Phaedra's nephew.
3. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
(a) The handmaiden.
(b) The butler.
(c) The cook.
(d) The gardener.
4. "Ion": What does Creusa put her baby boy in?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A bassinet.
(c) An ark.
(d) A basket.
5. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
2. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
3. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
4. "Medea": Who is Medea?
5. "Alcestis": What is Heracles on his way to tame, when he stops at Admetus's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Medea": In what case are women deadly according to Medea?
2. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
3. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
4. "Andromache": What does Menelaus claim when he comes to the shrine?
5. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
6. "Hippolytus": How was Hippolytus killed?
7. "Ion": What happens to Creusa before the play begins?
8. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
9. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
10. "Hippolytus": What does the nurse tell Phaedra that love is dependent on?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)