|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
2. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
(a) Creon's manservant.
(c) The general.
3. "Hippolytus": Who tells Phaedra that mortals cannot control the will of the gods?
(a) Her cook.
(b) Her handmaiden.
(c) Her servant.
(d) Her nurse.
4. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
(a) At the cliffs.
(b) On the road.
(c) At the house.
(d) At the temple.
5. "Andromache": With what does Peleus threaten to beat Menelaus to death?
(a) His cane.
(b) A crown.
(c) His sword.
(d) A tree branch.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
2. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
3. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
4. "Medea": What does Jason promise Medea he will provide for her?
5. "Alcestis": Pheres is what relation to Admetus?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
2. "Ion": What makes Ion believe that Creusa is his mother?
3. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who is Iphigenia?
4. "Iphigenia among Taurians": How does Iphigenia get the idol to the ship?
5. "Medea": Describe Medea.
6. "Ion": Why do Xuthus and Creusa travel to Delphi?
7. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
8. "The Bacchants": What do Cadmus and Tiresias discuss on their way to the bacchanal celebration?
9. "The Bacchants": What does Agave do after killing Pentheus?
10. "Ion": How does Ion come to the temple of Apollo?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)