|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
(a) Virginity and chastity.
(b) Food and prosperity.
(c) Hope and wisdom.
(d) Animals and children.
2. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
(d) The Fates.
3. "Alcestis": What does the chorus think the upcoming death Admetus's wife is like?
4. "Andromache": What is Andromache's relationship to Neoptolemos?
(b) None of the answers is correct.
5. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": Medea states that women are generally timid. What does she say will make them become deadly?
2. "Medea": Who is Medea?
3. "Medea": What does Jason promise Medea he will provide for her?
4. "Ion": Who tries to get Creusa to kill Xuthus and Ion?
5. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": What is Pheres' claim about why he did not want to die?
2. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
3. "Hippolytus": Why does Phaedra think it is better to commit suicide than to do wrong?
4. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
5. "Andromache": Who is Andromache?
6. "Medea": What does Aegeus swear to Medea that he will do?
7. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
8. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
9. "Hippolytus": Why is Theseus in exile?
10. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)