|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
(a) To Sparta.
(b) To Delphi.
(c) To Damascus.
(d) To Corinth.
2. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
(a) Some gold.
(b) A letter.
(c) Some jewelry.
(d) Some of her possessions.
3. "Hippolytus": When the nurse tells Hippolytus of Phaedra's desire for him, Hippolytus swears he will never break his vow of what?
4. "Medea": What does Jason claim Medea has learned which makes her better off for his bringing her to Greece?
(a) The value of strength.
(b) The value of justice.
(c) The value of friendship.
(d) The value of knowledge.
5. "Ion": After Creusa gives birth to a boy, to where does she take him?
(a) A beach.
(b) A river.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Where is Hippolytus's father in exile?
2. "Alcestis": What state is Heracles in when he claims he will meet death and wrestle for the life of Alcestis?
3. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
4. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
5. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
2. What are the first spoken lines in "Iphigenia at Aulis"?
3. "Electra": Why has Aegisthus married Electra to a peasant?
4. "Electra": When Electra meets her brother and thinks he is a messenger, what does she tell him?
5. "Andromache": Why is Andromache taking refuge in the shrine of Thetis?
6. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why are Orestes and Pylades in Taurus?
7. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Why do the men capture Pylades and Orestes?
8. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
9. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What prophecy has Calchas made?
10. "Medea": Why does Medea think that Jason will eventually pay for his actions?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)