|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Ion": How is Xuthus described?
(a) A non-Athenian.
(b) A barbarian.
(c) A stranger.
(d) A learned man.
2. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
3. "Medea": What does Medea need to find before she carries out her plans for Jason?
(a) A place to go.
(b) Money to travel.
(c) A safe home for her children.
(d) A safe haven for her flight.
4. "Hippolytus": When the nurse tells Hippolytus of Phaedra's desire for him, Hippolytus swears he will never break his vow of what?
5. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Of whom is Andromache a widow?
2. "Andromache": Which goddess's shrine is Andromache in for refuge?
3. "Ion": Who tells Creusa that she will never have a child with Xuthus?
4. "Andromache": Who is Hermione?
5. "Medea": Medea states that women are generally timid. What does she say will make them become deadly?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite raging against in her speech at the beginning of the play?
2. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
3. "Andromache": Why does Andromache bemoan Apollo's actions?
4. "Medea": Describe Medea.
5. "Ion": What does the oracle tell Xuthus?
6. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
7. "Andromache": When Menelaus refuses to give Andromache up, what does Peleus say?
8. "Andromache": When Menelaus betrays Andromache when she leaves the shrine, what does she do?
9. "Ion": How does Ion respond when Creusa says that the gods may be to blame for their troubles?
10. "Medea": Why did Jason and Medea travel to Corinth?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)