|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What reason does Iphigenia give to the king for taking an item out of the temple?
(a) To cleanse it.
(b) To shine it.
(c) To worship with it.
(d) For secret rites.
2. "The Bacchants": What did the women use to get the blood from the cattle off themselves?
3. "Electra": Where does Orestes plans to ambush the king?
(a) Outside the city.
(b) Outside his palace.
(c) At the stables.
(d) Outside the temple.
4. "The Bacchants": In the jail, whom does Pentheus question when the women have escaped?
(a) A male stranger.
(b) The jailer.
(c) The army.
(d) His father.
5. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Who tells Iphigenia that there are two strangers in their land?
6. "Electra": Aegisthus married Electra to the peasant so she cannot have what?
(b) His throne.
(c) Noble children.
(d) A good life.
7. "Iphigenia at Aulis": The prophet has said that the lack of wind is the work of what goddess?
8. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Once they are on the ship, what does the sea do?
(a) Swallows the ship.
(b) Kills Orestes.
(c) Swallows the passengers.
(d) Captures Iphigenia.
9. "The Bacchants": What kind of wreaths do the followers of Dionysus wear?
(c) Olive branch.
10. "Electra": Electra does not recognize her brother and his friend at first. What does she think they are?
11. "The Bacchants": What is Tiresias's main characteristic?
12. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What does Iphigenia feel as she prepares to perform the sacrifice?
(a) No pleasure.
(b) No loss.
(c) No sadness.
(d) No pain.
13. "Iphigenia among Taurians": What do the Taurians perform for their goddess?
(a) Food sacrifice.
(b) Animal sacrifice.
(c) Plant sacrifice.
(d) Human sacrifice.
14. "The Bacchants": What is Tiresias's job?
15. "Electra": Who did Orestes and Pylades claim to be when the met the king?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What history does Agamemnon discuss at the beginning of the play?
2. "Iphigenia among Taurians": Of what crime does Iphigenia plan to claim the two men are guilty making them unclean?
3. "The Bacchants": How does Pentheus disguise himself to go view the rites on the hill?
4. "Iphigenia at Aulis": What did Agamemnon do that upsets Achilles?
5. "The Bacchants": What is the name of the special staff that followers of Dionysus carry?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)