|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Ion": How is Creusa supposed to kill Xuthus and Ion?
(a) With an accident.
(b) With a sword.
(c) With a horse.
(d) With poison.
2. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
(a) In Macedonia.
(b) In Athens.
(c) In Sicily.
(d) In Sparta.
3. "Hippolytus": When the scene shifts to Phaedra and her nurse, what condition is Phaedra in?
(a) She is drunk.
(b) She is asleep.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is ill.
4. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
(a) For the slaves to die.
(b) For the wife to die.
(c) For the childrento die.
(d) For the servants to die.
5. "Hippolytus": Who is Hippolytus's father?
6. "Medea": What does Jason claim Medea has learned which makes her better off for his bringing her to Greece?
(a) The value of friendship.
(b) The value of justice.
(c) The value of knowledge.
(d) The value of strength.
7. "Medea": Whom did Jason make an agreement with King Creon to marry?
(a) Creon's sister.
(b) Creon's daughter.
(c) Creon's niece.
(d) Creon's aunt.
8. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
(a) Phaedra's grandson.
(b) Phaedra's uncle.
(c) Phaedra's nephew.
(d) Phaedra's stepson.
9. "Medea": Medea claims that women are the unhappiest creatures on earth for a second reason. What is the second reason?
(a) They have to live as mothers to children.
(b) They have to bear the terror of childbirth.
(c) They have to teach children.
(d) They have to live with men.
10. "Ion": What condition do Xuthus and Creusa travel to the oracle to cure?
11. "Ion": Where at the temple does Hermes place the baby?
(a) At the altar.
(b) At the statue.
(c) At the steps.
(d) At the table.
12. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
(d) Jumping from the roof.
13. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
(a) Animals and children.
(b) Hope and wisdom.
(c) Virginity and chastity.
(d) Food and prosperity.
14. "Medea": Who is Medea?
(a) A non-Greek priestess.
(b) A Greek priestess.
(c) A non-Greek sorceress.
(d) A Greek sorceress.
15. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
(c) The priestess.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": What does the chorus think the upcoming death Admetus's wife is like?
2. "Ion": During what event must Xuthus have impregnated a local girl according to Ion and Xuthus?
3. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
4. "Andromache": Whom does Andromache send to fetch Peleus?
5. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)