|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Ion": How is Creusa supposed to kill Xuthus and Ion?
(a) With an accident.
(b) With poison.
(c) With a sword.
(d) With a horse.
2. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
(a) In Sparta.
(b) In Sicily.
(c) In Athens.
(d) In Macedonia.
3. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
4. "Hippolytus": Who is Hippolytus's father?
5. "Andromache": Where does Orestes plan to ambush Neoptolemos?
(a) At Olympus.
(b) At the plays.
(c) At the Delphic oracle.
(d) At the palace.
6. "Alcestis": Who is confused by Admetus's behavior towards Heracles?
(a) The children.
(b) Heracles and Pheres.
(c) The kingdom.
(d) Heracles and the chorus.
7. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
8. "Andromache": Who is Hermione?
(a) Princess of Troy.
(b) Princess of Sparta.
(c) Princess of Athens.
(d) Princess of Delphi.
9. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
(a) At the cliffs.
(b) At the house.
(c) At the temple.
(d) On the road.
10. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
(d) Committing suicide.
11. "Medea": Whom does Medea kill?
(a) Jason's new wife, Jason, and Creon.
(b) Jason, her children, and Jason's new wife.
(c) Jason's new wife, Creon, and her children.
(d) Jason's new wife and Creon.
12. "Hippolytus": What does Hippolytus give to Artemis's statue?
13. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
14. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
(a) Some jewelry.
(b) A letter.
(c) Some gold.
(d) Some of her possessions.
15. "Alcestis": Who questions the handmaiden of Alcestis in the beginning of the play?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
(b) A god.
(c) The Fates.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
2. "Ion": Where at the temple does Hermes place the baby?
3. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
4. "Andromache": With what does Peleus threaten to beat Menelaus to death?
5. "Medea": From whom is it learned that Creon plans to expel Jason's children with Medea?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)