|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Andromache": Where does the goddess tell Peleus to bury Neoptolemos?
(d) The riverside.
2. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
(a) Some of her possessions.
(b) A letter.
(c) Some gold.
(d) Some jewelry.
3. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) That it is not her own.
(c) That it is shameful.
(d) That it is impossible.
4. "Ion": How is Creusa supposed to kill Xuthus and Ion?
(a) With a horse.
(b) With an accident.
(c) With a sword.
(d) With poison.
5. "Medea": Medea states that women are generally timid. What does she say will make them become deadly?
6. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
7. "Andromache": Who sends a messenger to warn Neoptolemos?
(b) The nurse.
(c) The priest.
8. "Ion": Where at the temple does Hermes place the baby?
(a) At the statue.
(b) At the table.
(c) At the altar.
(d) At the steps.
9. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
(a) In Macedonia.
(b) In Sicily.
(c) In Sparta.
(d) In Athens.
10. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
(c) The sea.
11. "Medea": What does Jason promise Medea he will provide for her?
(a) A place to go.
(b) A father for his sons.
(c) A home and money.
(d) Love for his sons.
12. "Alcestis": Who is confused by Admetus's behavior towards Heracles?
(a) Heracles and the chorus.
(b) Heracles and Pheres.
(c) The kingdom.
(d) The children.
13. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
(a) A mask.
(b) A robe.
(c) A caftan.
(d) A veil.
14. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
15. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
(a) Playing the lyre.
(b) Waging war.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
2. "Medea": What does Medea claim about women?
3. "Hippolytus": Where is Hippolytus's father in exile?
4. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
5. "Ion": Who tells Creusa that she will never have a child with Xuthus?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)