|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
(a) In Athens.
(b) In Sicily.
(c) In Sparta.
(d) In Macedonia.
2. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
(a) A robe.
(b) A mask.
(c) A caftan.
(d) A veil.
3. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
(a) Creon's manservant.
(d) The general.
4. "Alcestis": What does the chorus think the upcoming death Admetus's wife is like?
5. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The handmaiden.
(c) The cook.
(d) The butler.
6. "Alcestis": Who questions the handmaiden of Alcestis in the beginning of the play?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
(c) A god.
(d) The Fates.
7. "Hippolytus": Who tells Phaedra that mortals cannot control the will of the gods?
(a) Her cook.
(b) Her servant.
(c) Her handmaiden.
(d) Her nurse.
8. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His niece.
(d) His sister.
9. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
10. "Hippolytus": Who gave Theseus the wish he uses to call down death on Hippolytus?
11. "Alcestis": Pheres is what relation to Admetus?
(a) His father.
(b) His son.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His nephew.
12. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
(a) To Sparta.
(b) To Damascus.
(c) To Corinth.
(d) To Delphi.
13. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
14. "Medea": Medea claims that women are the unhappiest creatures on earth for a second reason. What is the second reason?
(a) They have to teach children.
(b) They have to live as mothers to children.
(c) They have to live with men.
(d) They have to bear the terror of childbirth.
15. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
(a) Some jewelry.
(b) Some gold.
(c) Some of her possessions.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
2. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
3. "Medea": What does the chorus fear Medea will do unless she is calmed?
4. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
5. "Alcestis": What is the name of the son who discusses his sorrow with Admetus?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)