|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Who warns Hippolytus not to anger the other gods?
(a) An attendant.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A commoner.
(d) A friend.
2. "Ion": Who tells Creusa that she will never have a child with Xuthus?
(a) The god.
(b) The oracle.
(c) The chorus.
(d) The priestess.
3. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
(c) The priestess.
4. "Andromache": Of what place is Menelaus king?
5. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
(a) He will not talk to her.
(b) He will not love her.
(c) He will not worship her.
(d) He will not build her a temple.
6. "Medea": What reason does Medea give Creon for staying one more day?
(a) To put her affairs in order.
(b) To gather her things.
(c) To help her sons adjust.
(d) To say goodbye to Jason.
7. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
8. "Hippolytus": After Hippolytus dies, what does Theseus tell the chorus that he was?
9. "Alcestis": Where does Admetus rule?
10. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
(a) For the wife to die.
(b) For the servants to die.
(c) For the slaves to die.
(d) For the childrento die.
11. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
12. "Hippolytus": Where is Hippolytus's father in exile?
13. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
(c) Committing suicide.
14. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
(a) To Corinth.
(b) To Delphi.
(c) To Sparta.
(d) To Damascus.
15. "Alcestis": Admetus's wife says she is dying because it is her natural duty and for another reason.Admetus's What is it?
(a) She does not want to live anymore.
(b) She does not want the kingdom to suffer.
(c) She does not want her children to go fatherless.
(d) She does not want her husband to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": Medea claims that women are the unhappiest creatures on earth for a second reason. What is the second reason?
2. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
3. "Ion": After Creusa gives birth to a boy, to where does she take him?
4. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
5. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)