|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
(d) The Fates.
2. "Ion": During what event must Xuthus have impregnated a local girl according to Ion and Xuthus?
(a) A moon festival.
(b) A religious rite.
(c) A bacchanal rite.
(d) A harvest festival.
3. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
(d) Committing suicide.
4. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
(a) To Sparta.
(b) To Corinth.
(c) To Delphi.
(d) To Damascus.
5. "Medea": From whom is it learned that Creon plans to expel Jason's children with Medea?
(a) The manservant.
(b) The butler.
(c) The cook.
(d) The tutor.
6. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
(a) He will not talk to her.
(b) He will not worship her.
(c) He will not love her.
(d) He will not build her a temple.
7. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
(b) The priestess.
8. "Alcestis": Admetus's wife says she is dying because it is her natural duty and for another reason.Admetus's What is it?
(a) She does not want to live anymore.
(b) She does not want her children to go fatherless.
(c) She does not want her husband to die.
(d) She does not want the kingdom to suffer.
9. "Medea": Whom does Creon think Medea will attempt to kill?
(c) His grandson.
(d) His daughter.
10. "Ion": What does Creusa put her baby boy in?
(a) A bassinet.
(b) An ark.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A basket.
11. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
12. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
13. "Hippolytus": Who is Hippolytus's father?
14. "Alcestis": What is the name of the son who discusses his sorrow with Admetus?
15. "Alcestis": Who is confused by Admetus's behavior towards Heracles?
(a) The kingdom.
(b) Heracles and Pheres.
(c) The children.
(d) Heracles and the chorus.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": What does Medea claim about women?
2. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
3. "Medea": Who begins the play "Medea" in a lament?
4. "Ion": Who tries to get Creusa to kill Xuthus and Ion?
5. "Medea": What does Jason claim Medea has learned which makes her better off for his bringing her to Greece?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)