|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
(a) At the cliffs.
(b) At the temple.
(c) At the house.
(d) On the road.
2. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
3. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
(a) Creon's manservant.
(c) The general.
4. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
(a) The servant.
(b) The nurse.
(c) The priestess.
(d) The handmaiden.
5. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
(a) Jumping from the roof.
6. "Andromache": Of what place is Menelaus king?
7. "Andromache": What is Andromache's relationship to Neoptolemos?
(d) None of the answers is correct.
8. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
9. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
(a) Hope and wisdom.
(b) Animals and children.
(c) Virginity and chastity.
(d) Food and prosperity.
10. "Alcestis": What state is Heracles in when he claims he will meet death and wrestle for the life of Alcestis?
11. "Ion": How is Xuthus described?
(a) A stranger.
(b) A non-Athenian.
(c) A barbarian.
(d) A learned man.
12. "Medea": From whom is it learned that Creon plans to expel Jason's children with Medea?
(a) The butler.
(b) The cook.
(c) The manservant.
(d) The tutor.
13. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
(a) Phaedra's stepson.
(b) Phaedra's uncle.
(c) Phaedra's grandson.
(d) Phaedra's nephew.
14. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
(a) A letter.
(b) Some jewelry.
(c) Some of her possessions.
(d) Some gold.
15. "Medea": What does Jason promise Medea he will provide for her?
(a) Love for his sons.
(b) A father for his sons.
(c) A place to go.
(d) A home and money.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
2. "Andromache": Who is Hermione?
3. "Andromache": Who sends a messenger to warn Neoptolemos?
4. "Medea": Who is Medea?
5. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)