|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
(a) His mother.
(b) His niece.
(c) His sister.
(d) His wife.
2. "Medea": From whom is it learned that Creon plans to expel Jason's children with Medea?
(a) The butler.
(b) The cook.
(c) The manservant.
(d) The tutor.
3. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
4. "Medea": Who begins the play "Medea" in a lament?
(a) A handmaiden.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A girl.
(d) A maid.
5. "Andromache": With what does Peleus threaten to beat Menelaus to death?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) His sword.
(c) A crown.
(d) His cane.
6. "Alcestis": Who is confused by Admetus's behavior towards Heracles?
(a) Heracles and Pheres.
(b) Heracles and the chorus.
(c) The kingdom.
(d) The children.
7. "Andromache": What is Andromache's relationship to Neoptolemos?
(c) None of the answers is correct.
8. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) That it is impossible.
(c) That it is not her own.
(d) That it is shameful.
9. "Medea": What reason does Medea give Creon for staying one more day?
(a) To gather her things.
(b) To put her affairs in order.
(c) To help her sons adjust.
(d) To say goodbye to Jason.
10. "Andromache": What does Orestes plan to do after he kills Neoptolemos?
(a) Make Hermione his lover.
(b) Marry Hermione.
(c) Make Hermione his slave.
(d) Offer Hermione as a servant to an oracle.
11. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
(a) Leave the children.
(b) Go mad.
(c) Hire a nanny.
12. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
(a) For the childrento die.
(b) For the slaves to die.
(c) For the wife to die.
(d) For the servants to die.
13. "Medea": What does Medea need to find before she carries out her plans for Jason?
(a) A safe home for her children.
(b) A place to go.
(c) Money to travel.
(d) A safe haven for her flight.
14. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
(b) His wife.
(c) His daughter.
15. "Hippolytus": When the scene shifts to Phaedra and her nurse, what condition is Phaedra in?
(a) She is drunk.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is asleep.
(d) She is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
2. "Andromache": Where is Andromache from?
3. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
4. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
5. "Ion": What condition do Xuthus and Creusa travel to the oracle to cure?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)