|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Medea": Whom does Medea kill?
(a) Jason, her children, and Jason's new wife.
(b) Jason's new wife, Creon, and her children.
(c) Jason's new wife and Creon.
(d) Jason's new wife, Jason, and Creon.
2. "Alcestis": What state is Heracles in when he claims he will meet death and wrestle for the life of Alcestis?
3. "Alcestis": What is the name of the son who discusses his sorrow with Admetus?
4. "Andromache": What does Orestes plan to do after he kills Neoptolemos?
(a) Offer Hermione as a servant to an oracle.
(b) Marry Hermione.
(c) Make Hermione his slave.
(d) Make Hermione his lover.
5. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
(b) Sing a song.
(c) Make a sacrifice.
(d) Pay money.
6. "Ion": What does Creusa put her baby boy in?
(a) A basket.
(b) A bassinet.
(c) An ark.
(d) A blanket.
7. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
(a) The butler.
(b) The cook.
(c) The gardener.
(d) The handmaiden.
8. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
(a) His sister.
(b) His niece.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
9. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
10. "Andromache": Whom was Hermione supposed to marry?
11. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
(a) That it is shameful.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) That it is impossible.
(d) That it is not her own.
12. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
(a) Food and prosperity.
(b) Virginity and chastity.
(c) Hope and wisdom.
(d) Animals and children.
13. "Andromache": Where does the goddess tell Peleus to bury Neoptolemos?
(d) The riverside.
14. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
15. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Who gave Theseus the wish he uses to call down death on Hippolytus?
2. "Hippolytus": Who is Hippolytus's father?
3. "Andromache": With what does Peleus threaten to beat Menelaus to death?
4. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
5. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)