|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Medea": What reason does Medea give Creon for staying one more day?
(a) To say goodbye to Jason.
(b) To gather her things.
(c) To put her affairs in order.
(d) To help her sons adjust.
2. "Andromache": Who sends a messenger to warn Neoptolemos?
(a) The nurse.
(d) The priest.
3. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
(d) The sea.
4. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
(a) To Corinth.
(b) To Delphi.
(c) To Sparta.
(d) To Damascus.
5. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
(d) Committing suicide.
6. "Medea": Whom did Jason make an agreement with King Creon to marry?
(a) Creon's sister.
(b) Creon's aunt.
(c) Creon's daughter.
(d) Creon's niece.
7. "Alcestis": What is the name of the son who discusses his sorrow with Admetus?
8. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
(b) Waging war.
(c) Playing the lyre.
9. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
(b) Make a sacrifice.
(c) Sing a song.
(d) Pay money.
10. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
11. "Medea": What does Jason promise Medea he will provide for her?
(a) Love for his sons.
(b) A place to go.
(c) A father for his sons.
(d) A home and money.
12. "Medea": Who begins the play "Medea" in a lament?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A handmaiden.
(c) A maid.
(d) A girl.
13. "Ion": During what event must Xuthus have impregnated a local girl according to Ion and Xuthus?
(a) A bacchanal rite.
(b) A moon festival.
(c) A harvest festival.
(d) A religious rite.
14. "Andromache": Which goddess's shrine is Andromache in for refuge?
15. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
(b) Leave the children.
(c) Hire a nanny.
(d) Go mad.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
2. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
3. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
4. "Medea": From whom is it learned that Creon plans to expel Jason's children with Medea?
5. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)