|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Andromache": How is Peleus described?
(a) As an old man.
(b) As a strong man.
(c) As a wise man.
(d) As a young man.
2. "Medea": What does Jason claim Medea has learned which makes her better off for his bringing her to Greece?
(a) The value of strength.
(b) The value of justice.
(c) The value of knowledge.
(d) The value of friendship.
3. "Ion": How is Creusa supposed to kill Xuthus and Ion?
(a) With a horse.
(b) With a sword.
(c) With poison.
(d) With an accident.
4. "Andromache": Which god does Andromache blame for her current troubles?
5. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
(c) The sea.
6. "Medea": What does Medea need to find before she carries out her plans for Jason?
(a) A place to go.
(b) Money to travel.
(c) A safe home for her children.
(d) A safe haven for her flight.
7. "Medea": Medea states that women are generally timid. What does she say will make them become deadly?
8. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
(a) Playing the lyre.
(c) Waging war.
9. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
10. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
(a) Phaedra's grandson.
(b) Phaedra's uncle.
(c) Phaedra's stepson.
(d) Phaedra's nephew.
11. "Hippolytus": What does Hippolytus give to Artemis's statue?
12. "Medea": What does Medea claim about women?
(a) That they are wealthy in the joy of motherhood.
(b) That they are enslaved by motherhood.
(c) That they are unhappy for their slavery to their husbands.
(d) That they are unhappy if they don't realize their great power over their husbands.
13. "Andromache": Where is Andromache from?
14. "Hippolytus": After Hippolytus dies, what does Theseus tell the chorus that he was?
15. "Alcestis": Pheres is what relation to Admetus?
(a) His nephew.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His son.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Whom was Hermione supposed to marry?
2. "Hippolytus": When the nurse tells Hippolytus of Phaedra's desire for him, Hippolytus swears he will never break his vow of what?
3. "Ion": Who tells Creusa that she will never have a child with Xuthus?
4. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
5. "Andromache": Who is the son Peleus had with a goddess?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)