|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hippolytus": Who is Hippolytus's father?
2. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
(c) Waging war.
(d) Playing the lyre.
3. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
(a) On the road.
(b) At the house.
(c) At the cliffs.
(d) At the temple.
4. "Medea": Medea states that women are generally timid. What does she say will make them become deadly?
5. "Andromache": Of whom is Andromache a widow?
6. "Andromache": How is Peleus described?
(a) As a young man.
(b) As an old man.
(c) As a strong man.
(d) As a wise man.
7. "Ion": Apollo orders Hermes to go to Athens. Where is he to bring the baby boy?
(a) To Corinth.
(b) To Damascus.
(c) To Sparta.
(d) To Delphi.
8. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
(a) His sister.
(b) His niece.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
9. "Hippolytus": What about her desire is causing Phaedra not to eat?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) That it is not her own.
(c) That it is impossible.
(d) That it is shameful.
10. "Andromache": What does Orestes plan to do after he kills Neoptolemos?
(a) Make Hermione his lover.
(b) Offer Hermione as a servant to an oracle.
(c) Make Hermione his slave.
(d) Marry Hermione.
11. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
(a) A robe.
(b) A mask.
(c) A veil.
(d) A caftan.
12. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
(d) Jumping from the roof.
13. "Andromache": Where is Andromache from?
14. "Medea": What does Jason promise Medea he will provide for her?
(a) A place to go.
(b) A home and money.
(c) Love for his sons.
(d) A father for his sons.
15. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
(d) The priestess.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
2. "Hippolytus": After Hippolytus dies, what does Theseus tell the chorus that he was?
3. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
4. "Hippolytus": Who tells Phaedra that mortals cannot control the will of the gods?
5. "Ion": During what event must Xuthus have impregnated a local girl according to Ion and Xuthus?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)