|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Medea": What does Jason claim Medea has learned which makes her better off for his bringing her to Greece?
(a) The value of strength.
(b) The value of knowledge.
(c) The value of justice.
(d) The value of friendship.
2. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
(a) Phaedra's uncle.
(b) Phaedra's nephew.
(c) Phaedra's grandson.
(d) Phaedra's stepson.
3. "Andromache": Who sends a messenger to warn Neoptolemos?
(b) The nurse.
(d) The priest.
4. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
(a) His niece.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
5. "Andromache": Who snatches the sword from Hermione before she can kill herself?
(a) The handmaiden.
(b) The priestess.
(c) The servant.
(d) The nurse.
6. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
(a) For the slaves to die.
(b) For the servants to die.
(c) For the childrento die.
(d) For the wife to die.
7. "Alcestis": Pheres is what relation to Admetus?
(a) His son.
(b) His nephew.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His father.
8. "Medea": What does Medea claim about women?
(a) That they are unhappy if they don't realize their great power over their husbands.
(b) That they are unhappy for their slavery to their husbands.
(c) That they are wealthy in the joy of motherhood.
(d) That they are enslaved by motherhood.
9. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
(a) Some of her possessions.
(b) Some jewelry.
(c) A letter.
(d) Some gold.
10. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
(a) The sea.
11. "Hippolytus": When the nurse tells Hippolytus of Phaedra's desire for him, Hippolytus swears he will never break his vow of what?
12. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
13. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
(d) Committing suicide.
14. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
15. "Hippolytus": Who warns Hippolytus not to anger the other gods?
(a) An attendant.
(b) A commoner.
(c) A friend.
(d) A nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": When the scene shifts to Phaedra and her nurse, what condition is Phaedra in?
2. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
3. "Andromache": What is Andromache's relationship to Neoptolemos?
4. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
5. "Alcestis": What does the chorus think the upcoming death Admetus's wife is like?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)