|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
2. "Medea": What does Medea claim about women?
(a) That they are enslaved by motherhood.
(b) That they are unhappy if they don't realize their great power over their husbands.
(c) That they are unhappy for their slavery to their husbands.
(d) That they are wealthy in the joy of motherhood.
3. "Medea": Whom does Creon think Medea will attempt to kill?
(a) His grandson.
(b) His daughter.
4. "Andromache": Who sends a messenger to warn Neoptolemos?
(a) The priest.
(b) The nurse.
5. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
(a) Waging war.
(b) Playing the lyre.
6. "Andromache": What does Orestes plan to do after he kills Neoptolemos?
(a) Make Hermione his slave.
(b) Marry Hermione.
(c) Make Hermione his lover.
(d) Offer Hermione as a servant to an oracle.
7. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
(a) How he can kill Creon.
(b) How he can get children.
(c) How he can get to Jason.
(d) How he can live as a king.
8. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
(a) For the childrento die.
(b) For the servants to die.
(c) For the wife to die.
(d) For the slaves to die.
9. "Andromache": What is Andromache's relationship to Neoptolemos?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
10. "Hippolytus": What does Hippolytus give to Artemis's statue?
11. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
(a) The priestess.
12. "Andromache": Who is Hermione?
(a) Princess of Sparta.
(b) Princess of Delphi.
(c) Princess of Athens.
(d) Princess of Troy.
13. "Andromache": How is Peleus described?
(a) As an old man.
(b) As a strong man.
(c) As a wise man.
(d) As a young man.
14. "Andromache": Where is Orestes from?
15. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": What is Heracles on his way to tame, when he stops at Admetus's house?
2. "Medea": What does Medea need to find before she carries out her plans for Jason?
3. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
4. "Medea": Whom did Jason make an agreement with King Creon to marry?
5. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)