|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hippolytus": With whom does Aphrodite make Phaedra fall in love?
(a) Phaedra's grandson.
(b) Phaedra's stepson.
(c) Phaedra's nephew.
(d) Phaedra's uncle.
2. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
3. "Andromache": With what does Peleus threaten to beat Menelaus to death?
(a) A crown.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) His sword.
(d) His cane.
4. "Medea": What does Medea need to find before she carries out her plans for Jason?
(a) A safe haven for her flight.
(b) A safe home for her children.
(c) Money to travel.
(d) A place to go.
5. "Alcestis": Where does Admetus rule?
6. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
(b) His wife.
(c) His daughter.
7. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
(a) A letter.
(b) Some jewelry.
(c) Some gold.
(d) Some of her possessions.
8. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
9. "Ion": During what event must Xuthus have impregnated a local girl according to Ion and Xuthus?
(a) A harvest festival.
(b) A religious rite.
(c) A bacchanal rite.
(d) A moon festival.
10. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
(a) He will not love her.
(b) He will not worship her.
(c) He will not build her a temple.
(d) He will not talk to her.
11. "Ion": What does Creusa put her baby boy in?
(a) A bassinet.
(b) A basket.
(c) An ark.
(d) A blanket.
12. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
(a) Food and prosperity.
(b) Hope and wisdom.
(c) Virginity and chastity.
(d) Animals and children.
13. "Ion": After Hermes' introduction, where does the play start?
(a) At the temple.
(b) At the house.
(c) At the cliffs.
(d) On the road.
14. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
(a) A caftan.
(b) A mask.
(c) A veil.
(d) A robe.
15. "Alcestis": Who questions the handmaiden of Alcestis in the beginning of the play?
(a) The Fates.
(b) The leader of the chorus.
(c) A god.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hippolytus": When the scene shifts to Phaedra and her nurse, what condition is Phaedra in?
2. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
3. "Andromache": Where is Andromache from?
4. "Hippolytus": When the nurse tells Hippolytus of Phaedra's desire for him, Hippolytus swears he will never break his vow of what?
5. "Alcestis": Admetus's wife says she is dying because it is her natural duty and for another reason.Admetus's What is it?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)