|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Andromache": Who sends a messenger to warn Neoptolemos?
(c) The priest.
(d) The nurse.
2. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
(a) The butler.
(b) The handmaiden.
(c) The gardener.
(d) The cook.
3. "Andromache": Which goddess's shrine is Andromache in for refuge?
4. "Ion": Where at the temple does Hermes place the baby?
(a) At the altar.
(b) At the table.
(c) At the steps.
(d) At the statue.
5. "Andromache": Where is Orestes from?
6. "Ion": Which god is Xuthus's father, Aeolus, the son of?
7. "Ion": After Creusa gives birth to a boy, to where does she take him?
(a) A river.
(b) A cave.
(c) A beach.
(d) A mountain.
8. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
9. "Ion": What does Xuthus do before seeing the oracle?
(a) Make a sacrifice.
(c) Pay money.
(d) Sing a song.
10. "Andromache": With what does Peleus threaten to beat Menelaus to death?
(a) A crown.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) His sword.
(d) His cane.
11. "Medea": From whom is it learned that Creon plans to expel Jason's children with Medea?
(a) The tutor.
(b) The cook.
(c) The manservant.
(d) The butler.
12. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
(d) The Fates.
13. "Hippolytus": Who warns Hippolytus not to anger the other gods?
(a) A commoner.
(b) An attendant.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A friend.
14. "Medea": What does Jason claim Medea has learned which makes her better off for his bringing her to Greece?
(a) The value of justice.
(b) The value of friendship.
(c) The value of knowledge.
(d) The value of strength.
15. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
(d) Jumping from the roof.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
2. "Alcestis": What is Heracles on his way to tame, when he stops at Admetus's house?
3. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
4. "Medea": Whom does Medea kill?
5. "Alcestis": Admetus's wife says she is dying because it is her natural duty and for another reason.Admetus's What is it?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)