|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Medea": From whom is it learned that Creon plans to expel Jason's children with Medea?
(a) The cook.
(b) The manservant.
(c) The butler.
(d) The tutor.
2. "Andromache": What does Orestes plan to do after he kills Neoptolemos?
(a) Make Hermione his lover.
(b) Marry Hermione.
(c) Offer Hermione as a servant to an oracle.
(d) Make Hermione his slave.
3. "Ion": Where at the temple does Hermes place the baby?
(a) At the statue.
(b) At the steps.
(c) At the table.
(d) At the altar.
4. "Ion": At the beginning of the play, what action of Apollo's does Hermes describe?
(a) Waging war.
(c) Playing the lyre.
5. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
(b) The priestess.
6. "Ion": Which goddess appears to tell how Ion's descendants will settle many parts of Greece ?
7. "Alcestis": What is the name of the son who discusses his sorrow with Admetus?
8. "Medea": Medea claims that women are the unhappiest creatures on earth for a second reason. What is the second reason?
(a) They have to bear the terror of childbirth.
(b) They have to live with men.
(c) They have to live as mothers to children.
(d) They have to teach children.
9. "Ion": How is Xuthus described?
(a) A learned man.
(b) A non-Athenian.
(c) A stranger.
(d) A barbarian.
10. "Medea": Of what besides deceit does Medea accuse Jason?
11. "Alcestis": Pheres says that no man wishes to die. What does he suggest is better?
(a) For the slaves to die.
(b) For the wife to die.
(c) For the servants to die.
(d) For the childrento die.
12. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
(a) His niece.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
13. "Hippolytus": Where is Hippolytus's father in exile?
14. "Hippolytus": What does Hippolytus give to Artemis's statue?
15. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
(a) He will not talk to her.
(b) He will not build her a temple.
(c) He will not worship her.
(d) He will not love her.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Alcestis": What is Heracles on his way to tame, when he stops at Admetus's house?
2. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
3. "Alcestis": Who questions the handmaiden of Alcestis in the beginning of the play?
4. "Hippolytus": How does Phaedra kill herself?
5. "Ion": How is Creusa supposed to kill Xuthus and Ion?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)