|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
(a) His niece.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
2. "Medea": Whom does Medea kill?
(a) Jason's new wife, Creon, and her children.
(b) Jason's new wife, Jason, and Creon.
(c) Jason's new wife and Creon.
(d) Jason, her children, and Jason's new wife.
3. "Hippolytus": For what reason does Theseus think his wife has killed herself after reading and misunderstanding her note?
4. "Medea": What does the chorus fear Medea will do unless she is calmed?
(a) Abandon her children.
(b) Kill everyone in her house.
(c) Unleash her fury on the house of Creon.
(d) Kill herself.
5. "Hippolytus": What is Aphrodite goddess of?
(c) The sea.
6. "Medea": Medea states that women are generally timid. What does she say will make them become deadly?
7. "Alcestis": What is the woman dressed in when Heracles returns with her?
(a) A robe.
(b) A veil.
(c) A caftan.
(d) A mask.
8. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
(a) How he can live as a king.
(b) How he can get to Jason.
(c) How he can kill Creon.
(d) How he can get children.
9. "Hippolytus": Who tells Phaedra that mortals cannot control the will of the gods?
(a) Her servant.
(b) Her nurse.
(c) Her handmaiden.
(d) Her cook.
10. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
(a) The butler.
(b) The handmaiden.
(c) The gardener.
(d) The cook.
11. "Alcestis": Admetus's wife says she is dying because it is her natural duty and for another reason.Admetus's What is it?
(a) She does not want the kingdom to suffer.
(b) She does not want her husband to die.
(c) She does not want to live anymore.
(d) She does not want her children to go fatherless.
12. "Hippolytus": Who warns Hippolytus not to anger the other gods?
(a) An attendant.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A friend.
(d) A commoner.
13. "Alcestis": What state is Heracles in when he claims he will meet death and wrestle for the life of Alcestis?
14. "Medea": Who is Medea?
(a) A non-Greek sorceress.
(b) A Greek sorceress.
(c) A non-Greek priestess.
(d) A Greek priestess.
15. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
(a) His daughter.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
2. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
3. "Medea": Whom did Jason make an agreement with King Creon to marry?
4. "Andromache": Who is the son Peleus had with a goddess?
5. "Alcestis": Pheres is what relation to Admetus?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)