|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
(a) How he can live as a king.
(b) How he can get children.
(c) How he can kill Creon.
(d) How he can get to Jason.
2. "Hippolytus": When the scene shifts to Phaedra and her nurse, what condition is Phaedra in?
(a) She is asleep.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is drunk.
3. "Hippolytus": What is Artemis the goddess of?
(a) Food and prosperity.
(b) Hope and wisdom.
(c) Virginity and chastity.
(d) Animals and children.
4. "Ion": Whose idea is it to have Ion adopted by Xuthus?
(b) The priestess.
5. "Ion": How many races will Ion's descendants span according to the goddess?
6. "Hippolytus": Hippolytus's father is in exile to pay penance for a crime committed where?
(a) In Sicily.
(b) In Sparta.
(c) In Athens.
(d) In Macedonia.
7. "Medea": Whom does Creon think Medea will attempt to kill?
(b) His daughter.
(c) His grandson.
8. "Ion": Where at the temple does Hermes place the baby?
(a) At the altar.
(b) At the steps.
(c) At the statue.
(d) At the table.
9. "Medea": What reason does Medea give Creon for staying one more day?
(a) To put her affairs in order.
(b) To say goodbye to Jason.
(c) To gather her things.
(d) To help her sons adjust.
10. "Medea": Where did Jason and Medea travel to make a home and future for their children?
11. "Medea": What does Medea claim about women?
(a) That they are unhappy for their slavery to their husbands.
(b) That they are unhappy if they don't realize their great power over their husbands.
(c) That they are enslaved by motherhood.
(d) That they are wealthy in the joy of motherhood.
12. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
(d) Committing suicide.
13. "Hippolytus": Who is Hippolytus's father?
14. "Alcestis": What is the name of the son who discusses his sorrow with Admetus?
15. "Alcestis": Whom does Heracles talk to and learn the extent of the events in the household?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The butler.
(c) The handmaiden.
(d) The cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Andromache": Who is the son Peleus had with a goddess?
2. Whom is Death arguing with at the beginning of the play "Alcestis"?
3. "Andromache": Where does the goddess tell Peleus to bury Neoptolemos?
4. "Hippolytus": What does Hippolytus give to Artemis's statue?
5. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)