|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hippolytus": What action does Phaedra believe is better than doing wrong?
(b) Committing suicide.
2. "Alcestis": What does Admetus heap on Pheres before he leaves the funeral?
3. "Medea": What has Aegeus been consulting with the oracle to discover?
(a) How he can live as a king.
(b) How he can get children.
(c) How he can kill Creon.
(d) How he can get to Jason.
4. "Hippolytus": Where is Hippolytus's father in exile?
5. "Andromache": Where does Orestes plan to ambush Neoptolemos?
(a) At Olympus.
(b) At the Delphic oracle.
(c) At the palace.
(d) At the plays.
6. "Alcestis": What is the name of the son who discusses his sorrow with Admetus?
7. "Alcestis": Who agrees to die in place of Admetus?
(a) His wife.
(b) His niece.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
8. "Medea": Whom does Medea kill?
(a) Jason, her children, and Jason's new wife.
(b) Jason's new wife, Creon, and her children.
(c) Jason's new wife and Creon.
(d) Jason's new wife, Jason, and Creon.
9. "Hippolytus": Why is Aphrodite angry with Hippolytus?
(a) He will not talk to her.
(b) He will not build her a temple.
(c) He will not love her.
(d) He will not worship her.
10. "Hippolytus": Who gave Theseus the wish he uses to call down death on Hippolytus?
11. "Medea": Who tells Medea that she and her two sons are to be exiled immediately?
(a) The general.
(c) Creon's manservant.
12. "Andromache": Where does the goddess tell Peleus to bury Neoptolemos?
(a) The riverside.
13. "Ion": During what event must Xuthus have impregnated a local girl according to Ion and Xuthus?
(a) A harvest festival.
(b) A bacchanal rite.
(c) A moon festival.
(d) A religious rite.
14. "Alcestis": What does Heracles seek from Admetus when he arrives at the house?
15. "Alcestis": What does Admetus's wife make him promise not to do after she dies?
(a) Go mad.
(b) Leave the children.
(c) Hire a nanny.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Ion": What does Creusa put with the baby boy?
2. "Andromache": Whom was Hermione supposed to marry?
3. "Alcestis": Who helped Admetus cheat the Fates?
4. "Hippolytus": When the nurse tells Hippolytus of Phaedra's desire for him, Hippolytus swears he will never break his vow of what?
5. "Alcestis": Where does Admetus rule?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)