Short Essay Questions Key
1. "Alcestis": What has Admetus done before the beginning of the play?
Before the beginning of the play, Admetus cheated the Fates to extend his life.
2. "Alcestis": What is the argument between Apollo and Death about at the beginning of the play?
The argument between Death and Apollo, at the beginning of the play, is about Death's desire to have his prize and Apollo claiming Admetus will find a way to rob Death again.
3. "Alcestis": What does the handmaiden think of Alcestis?
The handmaiden thinks Alcestis is noble because she is going to die for her husband.
4. "Alcestis": Why does Alcestis claim she is dying for her husband?
Alcestis claims she is dying for her husband because it is her natural duty and she does not want her children to go fatherless.
5. "Alcestis": What labor is Heracles on his way to perform?
Heracles is on his way to perform the taming of the horses of Diomede of Thrace.
This section contains 1,965 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)