* Admetus, before the play, has cheated Death/the Fates with the help of Apollo to prolong his life.
* Now Death does come and Admetus has to find someone to die in his place or else he will die.
* Admetus asks Pheres (his father) to take his place and Pheres refuses.
* Alcestis, Admetus's wife, agrees to die in his place.
* The play begins with Death and Apollo arguing; Death is gloating about claiming Admetus and Apollo says Admetus will cheat Death.
* The chorus talks of Alcestis's death.
* The handmaiden says that Alcestis has kissed her children goodbye and discusses how noble she is to die for her husband.
* Alcestis says it is her natural duty to die for her husband and that she does not want her children to be fatherless.
* Admetus agrees to Alcestis's request that he not remarry after her death, and Alcestis goes to...
This section contains 4,539 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)