LIFE LESSONS DURING THE WAYWARD AGE
1. Show, by citing examples from history, that youth is a period of strong religious tendencies. What can be done to keep the “dreams of youth” on high ideals?
2. What stories? what lessons? to boys and girls at this time? What books appeal most impressively to boys and girls at this time?
3. Recalling the things that left deepest impress on you for good or ill during the period of “the teens,” what advice would you give as to cultivating in a child right feelings for religion?
4. Wherein do we as religious teachers most fail to get the boy or girl?
5. In what way should the Bible be taught during this age?
6. What individual work with boys and girls can and should be done by parents and teachers to guide the children past the dangerous places?
TEMPTATIONS OF BOYS AND GIRLS
1. What are the commandments children are likely to break first?
2. In what ways are homes often responsible for habits of lying, stealing, profaning the name of God, and other sins?
3. How are the seeds of impurity often sown by thoughtless parents in the home? Discuss here the vulgar story, and other evil suggestions.
4. What loose habits in companionship and courtship are being permitted by parents to lead their children into evil?
5. By what effective means can parents co-operate to check the looseness and rudeness and sinful practice that blight our homes and communities?
The following list of books will be found very helpful in this Study of Children. The Public Library should provide these books for the parents, or the class may be able gradually to build up such a library for class use. These can be bought at the Deseret Sunday School Union, Salt Lake City, Utah.
1. A Study of Child Nature, Elizabeth Harrison,
College, Chicago, Ill. $1.25
2. Religious Education in the Family, H.F.
Cope, University of Chicago
3. The Right of the Child to be Well Born, Dawson,
Funk & Wagnalls, New
4. The Jukes Edwards Family, Winship. $1.20.
5. The Meaning of Infancy, Fiske, Houghton, Mifffin Co., Boston. $.35.
6. Education, Herbert Spencer. $.75
7. Fundamentals of Child Study, Kirkpatrick, Macmillan Co. $1.25.
8. Elementary Psychology, Phillips, Ginn & Co., Chicago. $1.25.
9. The Care of the Child in Health, Oppenheim, Macmillan Co. $1.00
10. The Healthy Baby, Dennett, The Macmillan Co. $1.00.
11. The Care of the Baby, Holt. $.75.