Forgot your password?  

The Oath: The Obama White House and the Supreme Court Chapter Summary & Analysis - Chapters 14-15, The Ninety-Page Swan Song of John Paul Stevens, Summary

Jeffrey Toobin
This Study Guide consists of chapter summaries, quotes, character analysis, themes, and more - everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of The Oath: The Obama White House and the Supreme Court.
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)
Purchase our The Oath: The Obama White House and the Supreme Court Study Guide

Chapters 14-15, The Ninety-Page Swan Song of John Paul Stevens, Summary and Analysis

When Sandra Day O'Connor was the court's swing vote, she tended to split the difference, giving one side 51% and the other 49%. But Kennedy's swing vote vacillated wildly from case to case (from conservative to liberal, often in opposition to government power) but he had a particular attachment to the first amendment. In his Citizens United decision, he saw the case as a free speech case. It was simple for him, as the government was muffling political voices.

But for John Paul Stevens, a consistent liberal, the case was complicated and had critical implications for American politics. Stevens was nearly 90 at the time and in surprising shape, and Toobin then reviews his biography. Nominated by moderate Republican, Gerald Ford, he too was a moderate Republican, settling into the...

(read more from the Chapters 14-15, The Ninety-Page Swan Song of John Paul Stevens, Summary)

This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)
Purchase our The Oath: The Obama White House and the Supreme Court Study Guide
Copyrights
The Oath: The Obama White House and the Supreme Court from BookRags and Gale's For Students Series. ©2005-2006 Thomson Gale, a part of the Thomson Corporation. All rights reserved.
Follow Us on Facebook