Forgot your password?  

Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire Chapter Summary & Analysis - Chapter 14 Summary

David Remnick
This Study Guide consists of approximately 62 pages of chapter summaries, quotes, character analysis, themes, and more - everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of Lenin's Tomb.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)
Purchase our Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire Study Guide

Chapter 14 Summary

In 1989, the Soviet people get their first taste of democracy. The elections for the new Congress of the People's Deputies, which are part of Gorbachev's plan to diminish the power of the old Party establishment while strengthening the government, are held. Although in many districts, the old standby Party candidates run unopposed, in other districts true reformers, like Sakharov, are elected. In the end, more than 80 percent of the elected deputies are Party members, but the other 20 percent add a new dynamic to Congress. For the first time, Soviet people see elected officials (on television no less) asking important questions and publicly denouncing the Party and its leadership.

In July 1989, coal miners in Siberia walk off the job to protest a lack of soap. There are countless other issues, including failing equipment, unsafe conditions, low pay, no benefits. However, the fact that they cannot get soap to...

(read more from the Chapter 14 Summary)

This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)
Purchase our Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire Study Guide
Copyrights
Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire from BookRags and Gale's For Students Series. ©2005-2006 Thomson Gale, a part of the Thomson Corporation. All rights reserved.
Follow Us on Facebook