|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who beats Henry into unconsciousness?
2. How many parts are there in Act 1, scene iv?
3. Who is Henry's girlfriend when Henry appears for the first time in the play?
4. What is exploding at the beginning of Act 1, scene ii?
5. According to the Press, how many members of Henry's gang are arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the story told in Act 2, scene 7?
2. How does Act 1, scene 7 use movie techniques to tell the story of the play?
3. Why do the sailors believe that the pachucos aren't real Americans?
4. What are some of the differences between the first image the audience sees of the dance and the second time the dance scene appears?
5. What are Della and Henry doing at the beginning of Della's story about the Sleepy Lagoon murders?
6. What do Edwards and Smith do when trying to get information out of Henry?
7. What does El Pachuco suggest that Henry do instead of joining the Army?
8. What happens the night of the Zoot Suit Riots?
9. Why does Henry refuse his mother's request that he change out of his zoot suit?
10. When George tells the boys he is leaving, what does he struggle to convince them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the play a metaphor for all racial prejudice, not just that against the Chicanos? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of stripping El Pachuco and Rudy of their zoot suits? What is the significance of the characters' reactions to the stripping? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is a zoot suit, what does it represent, and what does giving it up represent? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)