|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry get involved in the fight between Rudy and Rafas?
2. What is the sound that is blaring at the beginning of Act 1, scene ii?
3. What does El Pachuco believe should be most important to a true pachuco?
4. Where does Henry put his knife?
5. Where does Act 1, scene iii take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Smiley write in his letters?
2. Why does Alice identify with the situation the pachucos are in?
3. When George tells the boys he is leaving, what does he struggle to convince them?
4. What happens at the trial that makes it clear Henry and the others are being railroaded?
5. What is the powerful pachuco dream?
6. What does Henry think the police are going to do to him?
7. What happens the night of the Zoot Suit Riots?
8. Why does George stop the fighting between the brothers?
9. Why does Henry loses his temper with El Pachuco?
10. What do the different endings presented about Henry's life symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the play a metaphor for all racial prejudice, not just that against the Chicanos? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is a zoot suit, what does it represent, and what does giving it up represent? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the techniques normally used in movies that the author uses in the play? Are these techniques effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)