|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rafas do to Rudy in the first scene of the play?
2. Where does Act 1, scene iii take place?
3. When George Shearer meets the boys for the first time, he says he is a lawyer hired to do what?
4. According to El Pachuco, what do people think Henry is?
5. What does El Pachuco believe should be most important to a true pachuco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Della's testimony?
2. What news does George give the boys when he visits them in jail?
3. What happens when Henry sees Della after his release from prison?
4. Why does Henry refuse his mother's request that he change out of his zoot suit?
5. What clear message is the audience left with after viewing the trial of Henry and the gang members?
6. Who do Alice and George represent?
7. What do the dual roles of the Press and Edwards suggest?
8. What is the comparison the author draws between the war and the trial?
9. Why does Alice identify with the situation the pachucos are in?
10. Why does El Pachuco think Henry's desire to join the Army is ridiculous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is satire and how is it used in the play? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is a zoot suit, what does it represent, and what does giving it up represent? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the techniques normally used in movies that the author uses in the play? Are these techniques effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)