Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is El Pachuco?
2. Who represents the people who learn about life by reading about it?
3. What is the name of Henry's mother?
4. Before leaving, Alice reassures Henry that she believes what?
5. According to El Pachuco, what era of the Chicanos wanted to live the powerful pachuco dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it shown that the gang doesn't trust white people during Act 1, scene 6?
2. Why does Alice identify with the situation the pachucos are in?
3. What is the comparison the author draws between the war and the trial?
4. How does Edwards behave like a politician?
5. What do the sailors do to El Pachuco at the riots?
6. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
7. What clear message is the audience left with after viewing the trial of Henry and the gang members?
8. Why is Henry torn about trusting George and Alice?
9. What is the basis for this play?
10. What do the dual roles of the Press and Edwards suggest?
Essay Topic 1
What is a zoot suit, what does it represent, and what does giving it up represent? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How are the characters of Henry and El Pachuco similar and different? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What made the trial against Henry and the gang a joke? Why is it important to the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)