|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is name of the rival gang that appears in Act 1, scene i?
2. When George Shearer meets the boys for the first time, he says he is a lawyer hired to do what?
3. What type of trial does George tell the boys they will face?
4. What does Henry believe the police will do to throw him in jail?
5. What do Rafas and Henry pull out during the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Alice?
2. Why is Henry torn about trusting George and Alice?
3. What is one reason that the author would have the play go on past Henry's release?
4. How is the story told in Act 2, scene 7?
5. What happens after Della's testimony?
6. What does El Pachuco say after the verdict is handed down?
7. Why are Dolores and Enrique proud of their sons, and how do they express it?
8. What happens to get Henry thrown into solitary confinement?
9. What do Edwards and Smith do when trying to get information out of Henry?
10. What does El Pachuco remind Henry of, when Henry has his blade against Rafas' neck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a preconception? What role do preconceptions have in the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How do Della and Alice represent the different sides and pulls on Henry? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is prejudice and how is it central to the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)