|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the start of the trial announced at the beginning of Act 1, scene 8?
2. What does Rafas do to Rudy in the first scene of the play?
3. The gang sees Alice and George's intentions as being fine in theory, but what?
4. What job does Alice say she has?
5. Why does Henry get involved in the fight between Rudy and Rafas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Act 1, scene 11?
2. What does El Pachuco do as the sailors leave the scene?
3. What does the word "pachuco" mean?
4. Why does George stop the fighting between the brothers?
5. What is the issue with the clothing for the boys before their trial?
6. What is happening during Act 1, scene 1?
7. What does Henry's choice between the two women symbolize?
8. What is the comparison the author draws between the war and the trial?
9. Why are Dolores and Enrique proud of their sons, and how do they express it?
10. Why does Henry refuse his mother's request that he change out of his zoot suit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the play to support your answer, discuss whether this play supports the idea that there is power inside every individual that is greater than the power of any human institution. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is a zoot suit, what does it represent, and what does giving it up represent? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of two of the following ideas in the play and use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)