|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the start of the trial announced at the beginning of Act 1, scene 8?
2. How many parts are there in Act 1, scene iv?
3. What job does Alice say she has?
4. Why is Henry desperate to get out of jail?
5. According to El Pachuco, what era of the Chicanos wanted to live the powerful pachuco dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is finally revealed at the end of Act 1?
2. What happens at the trial that makes it clear Henry and the others are being railroaded?
3. Why are Dolores and Enrique proud of their sons, and how do they express it?
4. What role does Rudy play in Act 2, scene 8?
5. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
6. In Act 1, scene 2, what does the character of the Press represent?
7. What clear message is the audience left with after viewing the trial of Henry and the gang members?
8. What happens to get Henry thrown into solitary confinement?
9. What do Edwards and Smith do when trying to get information out of Henry?
10. What does the story of Rudy being stripped of his zoot suit represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters of Henry and El Pachuco similar and different? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the message the play is communicating? Is this play effective at communicating its message? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of stripping El Pachuco and Rudy of their zoot suits? What is the significance of the characters' reactions to the stripping? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)