|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rudy doing the night of the Sleepy Lagoon murder that Henry was warned about?
2. How is the start of the trial announced at the beginning of Act 1, scene 8?
3. Who beats Henry into unconsciousness?
4. Before condemning the Chicano community, Edwards says he sees what type of potential in Henry?
5. What job does Alice say she has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Della's testimony?
2. What happens the night of the Zoot Suit Riots?
3. Why does Henry refuse his mother's request that he change out of his zoot suit?
4. What is happening during Act 1, scene 1?
5. What happens when Henry sees Della after his release from prison?
6. How does Act 1, scene 7 use movie techniques to tell the story of the play?
7. What news does George give the boys when he visits them in jail?
8. What does Lt. Edwards say about the mass lineup?
9. Why does George stop the fighting between the brothers?
10. What is the issue with the clothing for the boys before their trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author continue the play past the happy ending point? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What are the three different narration techniques used in describing the riots? Are they effective? Why or why not? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play, explain how El Pachuco functions as Henry's conscience.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)