|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is exploding at the beginning of Act 1, scene ii?
2. Who takes Henry out of the line-up and throws him to the floor?
3. El Pachuco describes the "Pachuco" as part mythic what?
4. What does Henry tell George when George convinces him to let him work for the boy?
5. What does El Pachuco do when Henry's mother and father leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
2. What is happening in Act 1, scene 11?
3. Why do the people present react badly to Joey appearing in a zoot suit?
4. What does Lt. Edwards say about the mass lineup?
5. According to Della, why did the people at the party attack the pachucos?
6. What role does Rudy play in Act 2, scene 8?
7. Why do the sailors believe that the pachucos aren't real Americans?
8. What clear message is the audience left with after viewing the trial of Henry and the gang members?
9. Why is Henry torn about trusting George and Alice?
10. What is the comparison the author draws between the war and the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a preconception? What role do preconceptions have in the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is a zoot suit, what does it represent, and what does giving it up represent? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How do Della and Alice represent the different sides and pulls on Henry? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)