|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the play begin with?
2. When does the Downey gang disappear from the fight between Henry and Rafas?
3. What does Henry believe the police will do to throw him in jail?
4. What job does Alice say she has?
5. The powerful pachuco dream, according to El Pachuco, is to be a proud and ______ Chicano.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Smiley write in his letters?
2. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
3. What does Act 1, scene 9 remind the audience about trials?
4. What happens after Della's testimony?
5. What does El Pachuco suggest that Henry do instead of joining the Army?
6. What role does Rudy play in Act 2, scene 8?
7. What does Henry think the police are going to do to him?
8. What does El Pachuco say as Alice leaves her first meeting with Henry in prison?
9. What do the dual roles of the Press and Edwards suggest?
10. How does Act 1, scene 7 use movie techniques to tell the story of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a preconception? What role do preconceptions have in the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How does El Pachuco describe the "Pachuco" at the beginning of the play? How does the play show that this description is true? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, discuss whether this play supports the idea that there is power inside every individual that is greater than the power of any human institution. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)