|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the fight that Edwards and Smith want Henry to tell them about occur?
2. What does Henry's mother not want him to wear to the dance?
3. What is name of the rival gang that appears in Act 1, scene i?
4. George is angry because what is being withheld from the gang members?
5. What kind of cops are leading the investigation that Henry is involved in?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, scene 2, what does the character of the Press represent?
2. What does Lt. Edwards say about the mass lineup?
3. Why does El Pachuco think Henry's desire to join the Army is ridiculous?
4. What news does George give the boys when he visits them in jail?
5. What is the basis for this play?
6. How is the story told in Act 2, scene 7?
7. What is the powerful pachuco dream?
8. What do the different endings presented about Henry's life symbolize?
9. What does El Pachuco remind Henry of, when Henry has his blade against Rafas' neck?
10. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
Essay Topic 1
How does El Pachuco describe the "Pachuco" at the beginning of the play? How does the play show that this description is true? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How is the play a metaphor for all racial prejudice, not just that against the Chicanos? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is prejudice and how is it central to the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)