|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to El Pachuco, what do people think Henry is?
2. What does the zoot suit take a lot of to make?
3. What was Rudy doing the night of the Sleepy Lagoon murder that Henry was warned about?
4. What is the setting of Act 1, scene i?
5. Why does Henry get involved in the fight between Rudy and Rafas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George stop the fighting between the brothers?
2. What do the dual roles of the Press and Edwards suggest?
3. Why do the sailors believe that the pachucos aren't real Americans?
4. Who do Alice and George represent?
5. What role does Rudy play in Act 2, scene 8?
6. Why are Dolores and Enrique proud of their sons, and how do they express it?
7. What do the different endings presented about Henry's life symbolize?
8. Who is Alice?
9. What happens at the trial that makes it clear Henry and the others are being railroaded?
10. What do Edwards and Smith do when trying to get information out of Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing? How is it used in the play? Is it effective? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the character of the Press to the play? What function does the Press serve? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the message the play is communicating? Is this play effective at communicating its message? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)