|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry get involved in the fight between Rudy and Rafas?
2. The tension is between the Chicanos and what other ethnic group?
3. What does Henry's mother not want him to wear to the dance?
4. What does Rafas do to Rudy in the first scene of the play?
5. Which character lists the headlines that appears in the papers after the arrests and the raid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edwards say in his press conference?
2. Why is Henry pleased by Alice's reaction when he tells her that he is dropping out of the appeal?
3. What happens at the trial that makes it clear Henry and the others are being railroaded?
4. What does Smiley write in his letters?
5. How does El Pachuco describe himself in the first Act?
6. What does El Pachuco tell Henry to do in order to survive solitary confinement?
7. What news does George give the boys when he visits them in jail?
8. What does El Pachuco remind Henry of, when Henry has his blade against Rafas' neck?
9. Why are Dolores and Enrique proud of their sons, and how do they express it?
10. What does El Pachuco say after the verdict is handed down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message the play is communicating? Is this play effective at communicating its message? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is foreshadowing? How is it used in the play? Is it effective? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, discuss whether this play supports the idea that there is power inside every individual that is greater than the power of any human institution. Why or why not?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)