|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is exploding at the beginning of Act 1, scene ii?
2. According to Alice, why is she asking Henry questions?
3. Who observes the police raid in the barrio?
4. Why does Henry get involved in the fight between Rudy and Rafas?
5. El Pachuco describes the "Pachuco" as part heroic what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
2. Why is Henry torn about trusting George and Alice?
3. According to Della, why did the people at the party attack the pachucos?
4. Why do the sailors believe that the pachucos aren't real Americans?
5. What does El Pachuco do as the sailors leave the scene?
6. What happens after Della's testimony?
7. What does El Pachuco say as Alice leaves her first meeting with Henry in prison?
8. What does El Pachuco tell Henry to do in order to survive solitary confinement?
9. How does Edwards behave like a politician?
10. What is finally revealed at the end of Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does El Pachuco describe the "Pachuco" at the beginning of the play? How does the play show that this description is true? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the message the play is communicating? Is this play effective at communicating its message? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, discuss whether this play supports the idea that there is power inside every individual that is greater than the power of any human institution. Why or why not?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)