|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. El Pachuco describes the "Pachuco" as part mythic what?
2. What do Rafas and Henry pull out during the fight?
3. Where does the fight that Edwards and Smith want Henry to tell them about occur?
4. What era is El Pachuco's zoot suit from?
5. Why does El Pachuco think Henry's idea of fighting in the military is ridiculous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Act 1, scene 9 remind the audience about trials?
2. What are Della and Henry doing at the beginning of Della's story about the Sleepy Lagoon murders?
3. What happens the night of the Zoot Suit Riots?
4. What is the comparison the author draws between the war and the trial?
5. What does El Pachuco suggest that Henry do instead of joining the Army?
6. What foreshadows the difficult choice that Henry will have to make between Della and Alice?
7. What does El Pachuco say as Alice leaves her first meeting with Henry in prison?
8. What is the powerful pachuco dream?
9. Why does George stop the fighting between the brothers?
10. What does the singing of El Pachuco suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the three different narration techniques used in describing the riots? Are they effective? Why or why not? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the play, explain how El Pachuco functions as Henry's conscience.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, discuss whether this play supports the idea that there is power inside every individual that is greater than the power of any human institution. Why or why not?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)