|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does El Pachuco believe should be most important to a true pachuco?
2. What is the sound that is blaring at the beginning of Act 1, scene ii?
3. In Act 1, scene 8, Henry brags that no matter what happens he will do what?
4. What does Henry tell George when George convinces him to let him work for the boy?
5. George is angry because what is being withheld from the gang members?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the trial that makes it clear Henry and the others are being railroaded?
2. What does Lt. Edwards say about the mass lineup?
3. What does El Pachuco do as the sailors leave the scene?
4. What does El Pachuco say as Alice leaves her first meeting with Henry in prison?
5. What is the powerful pachuco dream?
6. What is finally revealed at the end of Act 1?
7. What is the basis for this play?
8. According to Della, why did the people at the party attack the pachucos?
9. Who do Alice and George represent?
10. Why do the people present react badly to Joey appearing in a zoot suit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the character of the Press to the play? What function does the Press serve? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of stripping El Pachuco and Rudy of their zoot suits? What is the significance of the characters' reactions to the stripping? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the message the play is communicating? Is this play effective at communicating its message? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)