|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is El Pachuco?
2. How is a zoot suit cut?
3. According to El Pachuco, what era of the Chicanos wanted to live the powerful pachuco dream?
4. Who is Henry's girlfriend when Henry appears for the first time in the play?
5. What do Rafas and Henry pull out during the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does El Pachuco tell Henry to do in order to survive solitary confinement?
2. What happens the night of the Zoot Suit Riots?
3. What do the sailors do to El Pachuco at the riots?
4. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
5. What happens when Henry sees Della after his release from prison?
6. What does the singing of El Pachuco suggest?
7. Who is Alice?
8. Why does George stop the fighting between the brothers?
9. Why is Henry pleased by Alice's reaction when he tells her that he is dropping out of the appeal?
10. What do the different endings presented about Henry's life symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the techniques normally used in movies that the author uses in the play? Are these techniques effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is prejudice and how is it central to the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How does El Pachuco describe the "Pachuco" at the beginning of the play? How does the play show that this description is true? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)