|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of trial does George tell the boys they will face?
2. Who takes Henry out of the line-up and throws him to the floor?
3. Why does El Pachuco think Henry's idea of fighting in the military is ridiculous?
4. What is the sound that is blaring at the beginning of Act 1, scene ii?
5. Before leaving, Alice reassures Henry that she believes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the issue with the clothing for the boys before their trial?
2. Who is Alice?
3. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
4. What does Edwards say in his press conference?
5. What do Edwards and Smith do when trying to get information out of Henry?
6. What is finally revealed at the end of Act 1?
7. How is the story told in Act 2, scene 7?
8. Why does George stop the fighting between the brothers?
9. What does Smiley write in his letters?
10. What foreshadows the difficult choice that Henry will have to make between Della and Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What made the trial against Henry and the gang a joke? Why is it important to the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the play, explain how the tension between whites and Chicanos is shown and what effect this tension has on the play.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, discuss whether this play supports the idea that there is power inside every individual that is greater than the power of any human institution. Why or why not?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)