|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The type of people Alice and George represent are common at the time of the play, and when else?
2. Who stops the action in the play when Henry and Rafas pull out their weapons?
3. What does Henry's mother not want him to wear to the dance?
4. What does Henry believe the police will do to throw him in jail?
5. Where does Act 1, scene iii take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Della, why did the people at the party attack the pachucos?
2. What does the singing of El Pachuco suggest?
3. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
4. Why does Henry refuse his mother's request that he change out of his zoot suit?
5. What is the powerful pachuco dream?
6. What is happening during Act 1, scene 1?
7. What clear message is the audience left with after viewing the trial of Henry and the gang members?
8. When George tells the boys he is leaving, what does he struggle to convince them?
9. What happens after Della's testimony?
10. What does El Pachuco remind Henry of, when Henry has his blade against Rafas' neck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of two of the following ideas in the play and use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are the characters of Henry and El Pachuco similar and different? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of the character of the Press to the play? What function does the Press serve? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)