|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does El Pachuco do when Henry's mother and father leave?
2. Where does El Pachuco take the story at the end of Act 1, scene 8?
3. Why does Henry get involved in the fight between Rudy and Rafas?
4. What is the sound that is blaring at the beginning of Act 1, scene ii?
5. How is everyone dancing at the end of Act 1, scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the trial that makes it clear Henry and the others are being railroaded?
2. What is one reason that the author would have the play go on past Henry's release?
3. What happens to get Henry thrown into solitary confinement?
4. What do the sailors do to El Pachuco at the riots?
5. What are some of the differences between the first image the audience sees of the dance and the second time the dance scene appears?
6. What is happening during Act 1, scene 1?
7. What does Henry's choice between the two women symbolize?
8. What is the powerful pachuco dream?
9. What does El Pachuco say after the verdict is handed down?
10. What does Lt. Edwards say about the mass lineup?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing? How is it used in the play? Is it effective? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is a preconception? What role do preconceptions have in the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is prejudice and how is it central to the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)