|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What era is El Pachuco's zoot suit from?
2. What does Henry tell George when George convinces him to let him work for the boy?
3. According to El Pachuco, what do people think Henry is?
4. Alice and George represent well-meaning what?
5. When George Shearer meets the boys for the first time, he says he is a lawyer hired to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one reason that the author would have the play go on past Henry's release?
2. What does Henry think the police are going to do to him?
3. What is the powerful pachuco dream?
4. Why is Henry pleased by Alice's reaction when he tells her that he is dropping out of the appeal?
5. What is the issue with the clothing for the boys before their trial?
6. What does El Pachuco say as Alice leaves her first meeting with Henry in prison?
7. According to Della, why did the people at the party attack the pachucos?
8. Who is George Shearer?
9. What does El Pachuco do as the sailors leave the scene?
10. What does Smiley write in his letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing? How is it used in the play? Is it effective? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are the three different narration techniques used in describing the riots? Are they effective? Why or why not? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is a preconception? What role do preconceptions have in the play? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)