|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cops are leading the investigation that Henry is involved in?
2. What is name of the rival gang that appears in Act 1, scene i?
3. What is the name of Henry's mother?
4. What does Henry believe the police will do to throw him in jail?
5. What does Henry's mother not want him to wear to the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alice identify with the situation the pachucos are in?
2. Why does El Pachuco think Henry's desire to join the Army is ridiculous?
3. What is happening in Act 1, scene 11?
4. What happens when Henry sees Della after his release from prison?
5. How is it shown that the gang doesn't trust white people during Act 1, scene 6?
6. What does the story of Rudy being stripped of his zoot suit represent?
7. Why do the sailors believe that the pachucos aren't real Americans?
8. What is finally revealed at the end of Act 1?
9. How does Act 1, scene 7 use movie techniques to tell the story of the play?
10. What are some of the differences between the first image the audience sees of the dance and the second time the dance scene appears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters of Henry and El Pachuco similar and different? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of two of the following ideas in the play and use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is foreshadowing? How is it used in the play? Is it effective? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)