|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who represents the people who learn about life by living it?
2. Who is Henry's girlfriend when Henry appears for the first time in the play?
3. How is everyone dancing at the end of Act 1, scene 7?
4. Who beats Henry into unconsciousness?
5. Alice and George represent well-meaning what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the story of Rudy being stripped of his zoot suit represent?
2. What happens when Henry sees Della after his release from prison?
3. Who is George Shearer?
4. How does El Pachuco describe himself in the first Act?
5. How is it shown that the gang doesn't trust white people during Act 1, scene 6?
6. What is happening in Act 1, scene 11?
7. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
8. In Act 1, scene 2, what does the character of the Press represent?
9. Why does El Pachuco think Henry's desire to join the Army is ridiculous?
10. Why is Henry torn about trusting George and Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the character of the Press to the play? What function does the Press serve? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is a zoot suit, what does it represent, and what does giving it up represent? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How is the play a metaphor for all racial prejudice, not just that against the Chicanos? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)