|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry tell George when George convinces him to let him work for the boy?
2. When Henry starts listening to El Pachuco, it shows he is starting to act less in his own interests and more in the interests of what?
3. What is the name of Henry's father?
4. In Act 1, scene 8, Henry brags that no matter what happens he will do what?
5. How is the truth about what happened the night of the raid revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is finally revealed at the end of Act 1?
2. Why are Dolores and Enrique proud of their sons, and how do they express it?
3. What is the basis for this play?
4. When George tells the boys he is leaving, what does he struggle to convince them?
5. Why does George stop the fighting between the brothers?
6. How does Edwards behave like a politician?
7. What does El Pachuco do as the sailors leave the scene?
8. What does Henry's choice between the two women symbolize?
9. What do the dual roles of the Press and Edwards suggest?
10. What is the comparison the author draws between the war and the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the character of the Press to the play? What function does the Press serve? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of two of the following ideas in the play and use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, discuss whether this play supports the idea that there is power inside every individual that is greater than the power of any human institution. Why or why not?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)