|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to El Pachuco, what era of the Chicanos wanted to live the powerful pachuco dream?
2. What does Henry tell George when George convinces him to let him work for the boy?
(a) What happened the night of the dance.
(b) What happened in the field.
(c) What happened at the barn.
(d) What happened at the diner.
3. Who represents the people who learn about life by living it?
(a) Rosarita and Jose.
(b) Henry and El Pachuco.
(c) Della and Allison.
(d) Rafas and Ruby.
4. How is a zoot suit cut?
(a) Large and baggy.
(b) Narrow and close-fitting.
(c) Loose and tailored.
(d) Slim and tight.
5. The powerful pachuco dream, according to El Pachuco, is to be a proud and ______ Chicano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 1, scene iii take place?
2. What does Henry's mother send him in prison that he never receives?
3. What is exploding at the beginning of Act 1, scene ii?
4. What does El Pachuco do when Henry's mother and father leave?
5. What was Rudy doing the night of the Sleepy Lagoon murder that Henry was warned about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the issue with the clothing for the boys before their trial?
2. What is happening during Act 1, scene 1?
3. What does it mean that Henry begins to listen to El Pachuco in Act 1, scene 7?
4. What is one reason that the author would have the play go on past Henry's release?
5. What does the story of Rudy being stripped of his zoot suit represent?
6. Why do the people present react badly to Joey appearing in a zoot suit?
7. How is the story told in Act 2, scene 7?
8. What foreshadows the difficult choice that Henry will have to make between Della and Alice?
9. What happens to get Henry thrown into solitary confinement?
10. How does Act 1, scene 7 use movie techniques to tell the story of the play?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)