|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Los Angeles on the night of the Riots?
(a) Sailors on leave.
(b) Airmen on leave.
(c) Marines on leave.
(d) Soldiers on leave.
2. In Act 2, scene 6, who functions as the narrator to describe the riots?
(c) The News.
(d) The Press.
3. According to El Pachuco, what happens to a Mexican once he is in jail?
(a) He fights in jail.
(b) He dies in jail.
(c) He lives in jail.
(d) He stays in jail.
4. In what Act and scene does the Judge give the verdict?
(a) Act 1, scene 10.
(b) Act 1, scene 9.
(c) Act 1 scene 8.
(d) Act 1, scene 11.
5. What is George not allowed to do with his clients during the trial?
(a) Speak for his clients.
(b) See his clients.
(c) Hear from his clients.
(d) Consult with his clients.
6. What sentence do Henry and the others receive?
(a) Life without parole.
(b) Life imprisonment.
7. What do George and Alice try to do to Henry when the Judge declares a break in the court proceedings?
(a) Get him new clothes.
(b) Get him to relax.
(c) Reassure him.
(d) Comfort him.
8. What does Henry say to George when George leaves the boys after their trial?
(a) God Bless.
(b) Thank you.
(c) Have fun.
(d) See you soon.
9. After the verdict, George and Alice promise Henry that there will be what?
(a) An appeal.
(b) A re-trial.
(c) A mis-trial.
(d) A reversal.
10. What happened to El Pachuco symbolizes white society's desire to do what?
(a) Make Chicanos fight for America.
(b) Leave Chicanos with nothing.
(c) Make Chicanos fit in with Americans.
(d) Strip Chicanos of their identity.
11. In Joey's letters the audience is able to see he is falling in love with whom?
12. El Pachuco's defiance at the end of Act 2, scene 6, suggests that clothes do not what?
(a) Separate people.
(b) Make the man.
(c) Identify people.
(d) Need rationing.
13. The attitudes of the Judge and the Prosecution are portrayed in such an extreme manner that they can be described as what?
14. What does El Pachuco tell Henry that the guard did?
(a) Hated Chicanos.
(b) Behaved like a white man.
(c) Behaved like a guard.
(d) Set him up.
15. Why does Smiley not want door-to-door fund raising for their defense fund?
(a) The people are too poor to give.
(b) It is humiliating.
(c) They don't need the money.
(d) It is disrespectful.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Judge sends the Jury to deliberate, what does El Pachuco do to bring the jury back?
2. What does Henry do when the guard comes in with new and more difficult work assignments?
3. What word best describes El Pachuco's attitude towards white people?
4. What does it suggest that the Press plays the prosecution?
5. What is emerging between the boys and George and Alice in the beginning of Act 2?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)