|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Judge sends the Jury to deliberate, what does El Pachuco do to bring the jury back?
(a) Snaps his fingers.
(c) Looks at the Jury.
(d) Claps his hands.
2. The scenes with the riots show what happens when the other side of what explodes?
(a) The gang war.
(b) The gang battle.
(c) The social war.
(d) The race battle.
3. What good news does George have when he visits the boys after their trial?
(a) They have enough money in their defense fund.
(b) Care packages are coming.
(c) They are being moved to a different location.
(d) The appeal is progressing.
4. In Tommy's letters, he insists that he is as ________ as the Chicanos of the gang.
5. El Pachuco's defiance at the end of Act 2, scene 6, suggests that clothes do not what?
(a) Need rationing.
(b) Separate people.
(c) Identify people.
(d) Make the man.
6. Why does Smiley not want door-to-door fund raising for their defense fund?
(a) The people are too poor to give.
(b) It is disrespectful.
(c) It is humiliating.
(d) They don't need the money.
7. What do George and Alice try to do to Henry when the Judge declares a break in the court proceedings?
(a) Get him to relax.
(b) Reassure him.
(c) Comfort him.
(d) Get him new clothes.
8. What does Henry do when the guard comes in with new and more difficult work assignments?
(a) Beats the guard up.
(b) Gives in.
(c) Asks for reassignment.
9. In Act 2 Henry is confronted with the notion that he is what as both an individual and as a member of the Chicano community?
10. In Act 1, scene 11, it is clear that the prosecution's questioning of Della is an attempt to do what?
(a) Railroad Henry and the others.
(b) Set Henry and the others free.
(c) Put the guilty people in jail.
(d) Get to the truth of the matter.
11. Who does Henry have a last moment with before being led off after the verdict?
12. According to El Pachuco, what happens to a Mexican once he is in jail?
(a) He dies in jail.
(b) He stays in jail.
(c) He lives in jail.
(d) He fights in jail.
13. What does Henry do after El Pachuco fades into the shadows with his arms risen at the end of Act 2, scene 6?
14. What is George not allowed to do with his clients during the trial?
(a) Speak for his clients.
(b) Hear from his clients.
(c) See his clients.
(d) Consult with his clients.
15. What is emerging between the boys and George and Alice in the beginning of Act 2?
(d) Family bonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the letters about that Alice writes to the boys?
2. Henry's confrontation with the guard and El Pachuco reveal the depth of his what?
3. According to Della, why do the people at the party attack the pachucos?
4. What element of the play is closed at the end of Act 1?
5. What do the military members do to El Pachuco on the night of the riots?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)