|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry do when the guard comes in with new and more difficult work assignments?
(a) Beats the guard up.
(b) Gives in.
(c) Asks for reassignment.
2. Why does Smiley not want door-to-door fund raising for their defense fund?
(a) It is disrespectful.
(b) They don't need the money.
(c) The people are too poor to give.
(d) It is humiliating.
3. Henry asks Alice to pass along his love for whom?
(a) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His family.
4. The story of Henry at the party illustrates his desire to do what?
(a) Have a family.
(b) Have the American dream.
(c) Fit into American life.
(d) Live the Chicano lifestyle.
5. Who does Henry have a last moment with before being led off after the verdict?
6. The actor who plays Edwards also plays what role?
(a) The Jury.
(b) The Judge.
(c) The Audience.
(d) The Prosecution.
7. In Act 2, scene 6, who functions as the narrator to describe the riots?
(b) The Press.
(c) The News.
8. After the verdict, George and Alice promise Henry that there will be what?
(a) A mis-trial.
(b) A reversal.
(c) An appeal.
(d) A re-trial.
9. The scenes with the riots show what happens when the other side of what explodes?
(a) The social war.
(b) The race battle.
(c) The gang battle.
(d) The gang war.
10. Where are Henry and his gang members in Act 2, scene 1?
(a) In a work camp.
(b) In the courthouse.
(c) In a fire camp.
(d) In prison.
11. What element of the play is closed at the end of Act 1?
(a) The mystery of Sleepy Lagoon.
(b) The mystery of Sleepy River.
(c) The mystery of Sleepy Hollow.
(d) The mystery of Sleepy Cove.
12. What does it suggest that the Press plays the prosecution?
(a) That someone other than the justice system is creating prejudice.
(b) That the press is influencing the jury in the trial.
(c) That the press is influencing public perception of the Chicanos.
(d) That someone other than the justice system is trying the gang.
13. Every objection George makes during the trial is what?
(a) Thrown out.
14. The Prosecution says Henry and his friends aren't only guilty of the crime, but are also guilty of what?
(a) Trying to destroy society.
(b) Taking the money of whites.
(c) Being a menace to society.
(d) No belonging in society.
15. In Act 1, scene 10, the scene changes from the courtroom to what?
(a) The night of the Sleepy Hollow murder.
(b) The night of the riots.
(c) The night of the murder at the dance.
(d) The night of the Sleepy Lagoon murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. El Pachuco tells Henry that the only way to survive the darkness is to forget what?
2. Where does the Judge order Della to go?
3. According to El Pachuco, what happens to a Mexican once he is in jail?
4. What is emerging between the boys and George and Alice in the beginning of Act 2?
5. Who do the military members attack while on leave in Los Angeles?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)