|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the role of El Pachuco at the beginning of Act 1, scene iii?
(a) The narrator.
(b) A commentator.
(c) Henry's conscience.
(d) Henry's confidante.
2. Why does Henry get involved in the fight between Rudy and Rafas?
(a) To defend his gang.
(b) To protect his honor.
(c) To defend his brother.
(d) To protect his sister.
3. What is the name of Henry's father?
4. El Pachuco describes the "Pachuco" as part heroic what?
5. Who represents the people who learn about life by reading about it?
(a) The Press.
(b) Alice and George.
(c) The judge and the Press.
(d) The policemen.
6. When George loses he temper when the boys question him, what does he say the organization he works for tries to do?
(a) Wipe out bad investigations.
(b) Prevent cover-ups.
(c) Wipe out prejudice.
(d) Wipe out bad police officers.
7. The type of people Alice and George represent are common at the time of the play, and when else?
(a) In the 20s.
(b) In the 80s.
(c) In the 1800s.
8. What does Henry's mother send him in prison that he never receives?
(a) A care package.
(b) A letter.
(c) Clean clothes.
9. The gang sees Alice and George's intentions as being fine in theory, but what?
(a) Not based in reality.
(b) Hard to accomplish in reality.
(c) Ineffective in practice.
(d) Slow in practice.
10. When George Shearer meets the boys for the first time, he says he is a lawyer hired to do what?
(a) Protect the boys' parents.
(b) Represent the boys.
(c) Keep the boys out of jail.
(d) Protect the boys' gang.
11. What does El Pachuco do when Henry's mother and father leave?
(c) Give an aside.
12. Who beats Henry into unconsciousness?
13. How many parts are there in Act 1, scene iv?
14. Where does Act 1, scene iii take place?
(a) At a police station.
(b) At a trial.
(c) In a courthouse.
(d) In jail.
15. What is name of the rival gang that appears in Act 1, scene i?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Press, how many members of Henry's gang are arrested?
2. What does Henry believe the police will do to throw him in jail?
3. When Henry starts listening to El Pachuco, it shows he is starting to act less in his own interests and more in the interests of what?
4. What era is El Pachuco's zoot suit from?
5. Which character lists the headlines that appears in the papers after the arrests and the raid?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)