Act 1, Part 1
• The play begins with a prologue.
• The narrator, El Pachuco, appears and is dressed in a zoot suit.
• El Pachuco says the "pachuco" is part mythic hero and part heroic joke.
• El Pachuco says it is every young Chicano's secret wish in the 1940s in the barrio to live the pachuco dream of being a proud and visible Chicano while fitting in with American culture and society.
• Scene 1 begins at a dance in the barrio.
• El Pachuco sings while Henry, Henry's girlfriend Della, and other members of Henry's gang dance.
• The Downeys, a rival gang, appear.
• Rafas, the Downey's leader, shoves Rudy, Henry's brother.
• Scene 2 begins with sirens blaring and flashbulbs exploding as the police raid the dance and the press observe.
• The pachucos are arrested and placed in a mass lineup. The Press lists the headlines that appeared in the papers after the raid.
This section contains 2,239 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)