|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank: "But that was the jazz of a very special ______."
2. What does Jerry have in his home that he's not supposed to have?
3. How does Peter respond to this question?
4. If Peter has children, what is the gender?
5. What's the cross street that is to the right?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jerry tell Peter to do as he is listening to the story?
2. How does the landlady react to Jerry's attempt on the dog's life?
3. Why did Jerry go to the zoo in the first place?
4. What does Jerry buy in order to appeal to the dog?
5. How does Jerry want to kill the dog?
6. Where is the dog waiting for Jerry when he arrives back at the rooming house?
7. What does Peter say when Jerry shares his fear as answered in #30?
8. What does Jerry ask Peter about his family?
9. How does Jerry calm Peter?
10. What was Jerry's route to the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jerry seems to be a little 'off' during most of the story. Do you think that he's crazy? Why or why not? Why do you think Peter doesn't seem to be afraid of Jerry at first? What behaviors does Jerry exhibit that make him likable and sane?
Essay Topic 2
Jerry dies from running into Peter when he was holding the knife. Do you think Jerry did this on purpose? Why or why not? Why does Jerry tell Peter to run away after he cleans the fingerprints off the knife? Why does Peter decide to run away instead of staying to help Jerry?
Essay Topic 3
Jerry begins to tickle and to punch Peter as he is trying to leave. Why does Jerry choose these forms of interaction with Peter? Do these actions have anything to do with what Jerry was studying at the zoo? Why or why not? What else could Jerry have done to get the attention of Peter and to make him stay longer?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)