|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jerry's mother's sister die?
2. What does Jerry's typewriter type?
3. Then of what does Jerry plan to speak?
4. Where does the play open?
5. What does Jerry not like to do very much?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Peter gets upset with Jerry about his storytelling, what does Jerry say back to him?
2. What do Peter's children own for pets?
3. Describe Peter and his appearance in the play.
4. How is Jerry increasingly making Peter feel? Why?
5. What does Jerry buy in order to appeal to the dog?
6. What does Jerry do when he sees the dog when he gets back to the rooming house?
7. How much does Peter make at his job per year?
8. What does Jerry talk about after telling Peter why he went to the zoo?
9. How does Peter respond when Jerry asks how much money he makes?
10. What does Jerry provoke as he wonders why Peter wants the bench so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jerry seems to be a little 'off' during most of the story. Do you think that he's crazy? Why or why not? Why do you think Peter doesn't seem to be afraid of Jerry at first? What behaviors does Jerry exhibit that make him likable and sane?
Essay Topic 2
There is irony in the conversation the men have in the second scene.
Part 1) What does Jerry tell Peter?
Part 2) Why is it surprising?
Part 3) What is ironic about what he tells Peter, a man whose name he does not yet know?
Essay Topic 3
The background of Jerry is a sad one, filled with death and sadness. However, with Jerry's state of mind as it's seen in the play, do you think he's making up these stories? Why or why not? If he was making up the stories, what purpose does this serve for him? Can the reader and Peter trust anything he says?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)