|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jerry has a small strongbox that contains what?
2. What does Jerry continuously ask Peter?
3. Then of what does Jerry plan to speak?
4. What does Jerry tell Peter he doesn't like to do?
5. Why does he have to go this distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jerry go to the zoo in the first place?
2. What is Jerry's explanation for how he has arrived at the park?
3. When did the tragedy mentioned in #25 happen?
4. What does Jerry realize in this part of the play as he is talking to Peter?
5. What does Jerry inform Peter he will learn all about in the papers?
6. What does a dumbstruck Peter wonder about?
7. What does Peter realize as Jerry is telling his story?
8. How does Jerry feel when returning from a movie?
9. Where is a perfect place to learn to communicate, according to Jerry? Why?
10. What does Jerry talk about after telling Peter why he went to the zoo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The background of Jerry is a sad one, filled with death and sadness. However, with Jerry's state of mind as it's seen in the play, do you think he's making up these stories? Why or why not? If he was making up the stories, what purpose does this serve for him? Can the reader and Peter trust anything he says?
Essay Topic 2
The playwright purposely has Jerry befriend a dog.
Part 1) Why does the playwright do this?
Part 2) To what will this friendship lead? Why does Jerry believe this?
Part 3) What does the playwright believe will happen to someone without love? Why might he believe this?
Essay Topic 3
Though Jerry says that he does not like to talk to people much, it seems that his actions go against his words. Why do you think the Jerry felt the need to talk to Peter? What do you think drew Jerry to Peter and what kept him there in the conversation? The fact that he doesn't sit down until the very end seems to indicate that Jerry isn't comfortable, so why did he stick around?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)