|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jerry say that Peter probably threw out when he got married?
2. Who owns the dog that Jerry can't stand?
3. How does the landlady act towards Jerry?
4. What else does Jerry want to know about Peter?
5. What do each of Peter's daughters have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the dog that Jerry hates.
2. What does Jerry provoke as he wonders why Peter wants the bench so much?
3. What does Peter wonder about Jerry's home? How does Jerry respond?
4. What does Jerry buy in order to appeal to the dog?
5. What do Peter's children own for pets?
6. Where does Peter incorrectly assume that Jerry lives?
7. What does Jerry do for the first time in the play?
8. What does Peter answer when Jerry asks him if he has children?
9. What does Jerry admit to as Peter is pushed all the way over to one side of the bench?
10. What does Jerry inform Peter he will learn all about in the papers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of animals occurs sporadically throughout the play.
Part 1) Describe when it is first mentioned.
Part 2) Describe two other times it is mentioned. How does it enhance the story?
Part 3) How do these animal qualities relate to these two characters and to people, in general?
Essay Topic 2
When Jerry talks about the long way that he took to get to the zoo, it seems like there would have been a better way. Why do you think that Jerry took this route instead? Why? Do you think this particular choice of Jerry's gives Peter another sign that he might not be right in the head? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Though Jerry says that he does not like to talk to people much, it seems that his actions go against his words. Why do you think the Jerry felt the need to talk to Peter? What do you think drew Jerry to Peter and what kept him there in the conversation? The fact that he doesn't sit down until the very end seems to indicate that Jerry isn't comfortable, so why did he stick around?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)