|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the leaders decide to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
2. What is the name of the orphan girl?
3. What color are the orphan girl's eyes?
4. How are Atzel and the older man in the first story related?
5. Why did someone in Chelm think the moon fell in a barrel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this book end?
2. How does Zlateh act as she is led to the road by Aaron?
3. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
4. What happens as David returns to his house?
5. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
6. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
7. What does Dr. Yoetz see when he first checks on Atzel inside Kadish's house?
8. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
9. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
10. What do Tudras and Lekisch want to buy with the fortune from the snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interesting advice is given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what are the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 2
The Chelm Elders present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)