|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atzel do during his funeral?
2. What does the strange man look like as he spins around in the house?
3. What color is Atzel's hair?
4. What is the hat made of that belonged to the strange man in Grandmother's tale?
5. What does Atzel think he has to do to get to paradise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gronam notice about the Hanukkah snow?
2. Why does Atzel come to wish he were dead?
3. Why did someone think the moon fell in a barrel?
4. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
5. What do Tudras and Lekisch want to buy with the fortune from the snow?
6. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
7. How does Atzel feel when he is told it is not time for him to go to paradise?
8. What does Dr. Yoetz see when he first checks on Atzel inside Kadish's house?
9. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
10. What does Atzel do the minute he is released from paradise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes in these stories. In which short stories are these more evident? Which characters are the most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme in many of these stories. Which characters are most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)