|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals appear as the strange man spins around in the house?
2. What does Tudras want to buy with the money from the snow?
3. How many children does the father in "Grandmother's Tale" have?
4. How do the leaders decide to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
5. What is the coat made of that belonged to the strange man in Grandmother's tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Yoetz see when he first checks on Atzel inside Kadish's house?
2. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
3. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
4. What strange thing did the children notice while the strange man was playing with them?
5. Why did someone think the moon fell in a barrel?
6. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
7. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
8. How do the Elders decide to tell the people not to trample the snow?
9. What causes Atzel to change his ideas while he is in paradise?
10. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a common theme in these stories. Discuss the role of despair in the lives of Singer's characters.
Essay Topic 3
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)