|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Grandmother use to describe the children in her story?
2. Who reported the missing moon?
3. Who was called when the moon was not found in the barrel later in the day?
4. What is the first question the doctor asks the older man when he starts to cure Atzel?
5. What is Atzel's main attribute when he grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Yoetz see when he first checks on Atzel inside Kadish's house?
2. Why does Atzel come to wish he were dead?
3. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
4. What causes Atzel to change his ideas while he is in paradise?
5. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
6. What strange thing did the children notice while the strange man was playing with them?
7. Why did the children keep playing with the strange man after they noticed something strange happening?
8. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
9. What do the Elders decide to do during the next snow after seeing what happened?
10. What does Atzel do on his first days in paradise, and how does he feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interesting advice is given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what are the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes in these stories. In which short stories are these more evident? Which characters are the most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)