|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Atzel's hair?
2. What is Gimpel's occupation?
3. How does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" entertain the children in the house?
4. What animals appear as the strange man spins around in the house?
5. What stops the children in Grandmother's tale from playing their game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rhyme at the end of "Grandmother's Tale"?
2. Why were the Elders chosen to rule the town of Chelm?
3. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
4. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
5. How does Atzel feel when he is told it is not time for him to go to paradise?
6. Who is invited as a special guest to Atzel's wedding and why?
7. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
8. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
9. Why did someone think the moon fell in a barrel?
10. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chelm Elders present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)