|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lekisch's title?
2. What is Chelm full of?
3. How many men are called to carry the messenger?
4. How many children does the father in "Grandmother's Tale" have?
5. What is the name of the orphan girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
2. How does Atzel feel when he is told it is not time for him to go to paradise?
3. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
4. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
5. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
6. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
7. Who is invited as a special guest to Atzel's wedding and why?
8. Who is called to carry Gimpel to deliver the message about staying in their houses?
9. What does Atzel do the minute he is released from paradise?
10. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is experienced a number of times in these stories by different characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Hannukuh and Judaism are central to the plots of every story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages presented in them?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)