|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atzel notice about the food in paradise?
2. What vanishes with the strange man?
3. What is the name of the orphan girl?
4. What stops the children in Grandmother's tale from playing their game?
5. What does Atzel ask for when he hears what the doctor tells the older man to do to cure Atzel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
2. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
3. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
4. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
5. What does Dr. Yoetz see when he first checks on Atzel inside Kadish's house?
6. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
7. Who is called to carry Gimpel to deliver the message about staying in their houses?
8. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
9. What causes Atzel to change his ideas while he is in paradise?
10. What strange thing did the children notice while the strange man was playing with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
These stories place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plots. Why might Singer have chosen these particular places for the stories to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes in these stories. In which short stories are these more evident? Which characters are the most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change in the story?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)