|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the doctor who says he can cure Atzel?
2. How does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" say he got lost?
3. Why does the orphan girl come to live with Atzel?
4. What is there NOT included in the room made to look like paradise?
5. What creatures appear as the strange man spins around in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Elders decide to do during the next snow after seeing what happened?
2. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
3. What do Tudras and Lekisch want to buy with the fortune from the snow?
4. Who is invited as a special guest to Atzel's wedding and why?
5. What does Dr. Yoetz see when he first checks on Atzel inside Kadish's house?
6. What does Atzel do on his first days in paradise, and how does he feel about this?
7. Why did the children keep playing with the strange man after they noticed something strange happening?
8. What does Atzel do the minute he is released from paradise?
9. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
10. What did the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" do when he came into the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chelm Elders present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change in the story?
Essay Topic 3
These stories place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plots. Why might Singer have chosen these particular places for the stories to take place?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)