|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the leaders decide to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
2. What does Atzel notice about the food in paradise?
3. How many men formed the leaders of Chelm?
4. How long does the strange man in Grandmother's tale ask to stay at the house?
5. What is Gimpel's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
2. What did the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" do when he came into the house?
3. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
4. What does Aaron do when he gets lost, and what happens?
5. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
6. Why does Atzel come to wish he were dead?
7. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
8. How do the Elders decide to tell the people not to trample the snow?
9. What does Gronam notice about the Hanukkah snow?
10. Why were the Elders chosen to rule the town of Chelm?
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a common theme in these stories. Discuss the role of despair in the lives of Singer's characters.
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change in the story?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)