|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals appear as the strange man spins around in the house?
2. What does the strange man look like as he spins around in the house?
3. What is the first thing Atzel asks for when he wakes up in the paradise room?
4. What do Atzel and the orphan girl pretend to be when they were children?
5. Who was called when the moon was not found in the barrel later in the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
2. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
3. Why did the children keep playing with the strange man after they noticed something strange happening?
4. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
5. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
6. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
7. How does David feel while he is out in the storm?
8. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
9. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
10. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme in many of these stories. Which characters are most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)