|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the children notice while they are being entertained by the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale"?
2. What does the strange man look like as he spins around in the house?
3. At what time do the children realize who the strange man in their house was?
4. What does Atzel think people in paradise never do?
5. What is Lekisch's title?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Atzel do on his first days in paradise, and how does he feel about this?
2. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
3. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
4. What helps David get back to his house?
5. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
6. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
7. What is the rhyme at the end of "Grandmother's Tale"?
8. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
9. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
10. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes in these stories. In which short stories are these more evident? Which characters are the most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)