|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is kept burning in the room made to look like paradise?
2. What does Tudras want to buy with the money from the snow?
3. What does Atzel do when he returns from the false paradise?
4. What symbol keeps appearing for the strange man in Grandmother's story while he is entertaining the children?
5. How does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" say he got lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
2. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
3. What do the Elders decide to do during the next snow after seeing what happened?
4. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
5. What does Gronam notice about the Hanukkah snow?
6. What did the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" do when he came into the house?
7. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
8. Who is called to carry Gimpel to deliver the message about staying in their houses?
9. What do the children ask of their grandmother at the beginning of "Grandmother's Tale"?
10. Why did someone think the moon fell in a barrel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme in many of these stories. Which characters are most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Hannukuh and Judaism are central to the plots of every story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages presented in them?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)