|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" NOT have?
2. What does Atzel do during his funeral?
3. How does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" say he got lost?
4. What is the hat made of that belonged to the strange man in Grandmother's tale?
5. What is the first thing the doctor tells the older man to do to cure Atzel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Elders see in the morning after Gimpel has delivered the message?
2. What strange thing did the children notice while the strange man was playing with them?
3. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
4. What do Tudras and Lekisch want to buy with the fortune from the snow?
5. What does Gronam notice about the Hanukkah snow?
6. Why did someone think the moon fell in a barrel?
7. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
8. Who is invited as a special guest to Atzel's wedding and why?
9. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
10. Why does Atzel come to wish he were dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)