|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food does Atzel think people in paradise eat?
2. What symbol keeps appearing for the strange man in Grandmother's story while he is entertaining the children?
3. What does Grandmother's tale end with?
4. What does Tudras want to buy with the money from the snow?
5. What is Shmerel's title?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children ask of their grandmother at the beginning of "Grandmother's Tale"?
2. What do Tudras and Lekisch want to buy with the fortune from the snow?
3. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
4. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
5. What did the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" do when he came into the house?
6. What do the Elders see in the morning after Gimpel has delivered the message?
7. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
8. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
9. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
10. Who is invited as a special guest to Atzel's wedding and why?
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a common theme in these stories. Discuss the role of despair in the lives of Singer's characters.
Essay Topic 2
Aaron endures many different trials before the end of his story. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in these stories have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and discuss their main motivation and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)