|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the idea to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
2. What is the name of the older man in the first story?
3. What was done with the barrel that supposedly held the moon?
4. Why does Gronam think the snow is something aside from snow?
5. What does Gronam think the snow is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Atzel to change his ideas while he is in paradise?
2. What does Atzel do the minute he is released from paradise?
3. What did the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" do when he came into the house?
4. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
5. What do Tudras and Lekisch want to buy with the fortune from the snow?
6. Why does Atzel come to wish he were dead?
7. Why did someone think the moon fell in a barrel?
8. Who is called to carry Gimpel to deliver the message about staying in their houses?
9. What is the rhyme at the end of "Grandmother's Tale"?
10. What does Gronam notice about the Hanukkah snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in these stories have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and discuss their main motivation and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
The Chelm Elders present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change in the story?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)