|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atzel notice about the food in paradise?
2. How does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" entertain the children in the house?
3. What does strange man do when the children realize who he is?
4. What creatures appear as the strange man spins around in the house?
5. What game are Grandmother's grandchildren playing at the beginning of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Elders decide to tell the people not to trample the snow?
2. Why were the Elders chosen to rule the town of Chelm?
3. Who is invited as a special guest to Atzel's wedding and why?
4. What do the Elders see in the morning after Gimpel has delivered the message?
5. What did the strange man who appeared in "Grandmother's Tale" look like?
6. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
7. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
8. What does Atzel do the minute he is released from paradise?
9. How does Atzel feel when he is told it is not time for him to go to paradise?
10. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hannukuh and Judaism are central to the plots of every story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages presented in them?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a common theme in these stories. Discuss the role of despair in the lives of Singer's characters.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)