|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children request of Grandmother before they go to bed?
2. What did Chelm need money for?
3. What vanishes with the strange man?
4. How are Atzel and the older man in the first story related?
5. How does Atzel feel during his funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Atzel to change his ideas while he is in paradise?
2. Why did the children keep playing with the strange man after they noticed something strange happening?
3. Who is called to carry Gimpel to deliver the message about staying in their houses?
4. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
5. What do the Elders decide to do during the next snow after seeing what happened?
6. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
7. What do the Elders see in the morning after Gimpel has delivered the message?
8. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
9. How does Atzel feel when he is told it is not time for him to go to paradise?
10. What is the rhyme at the end of "Grandmother's Tale"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Interesting advice is given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what are the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 3
Aaron endures many different trials before the end of his story. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)