|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first question the doctor asks the older man when he starts to cure Atzel?
2. What do Atzel and the orphan girl pretend to be when they were children?
3. What does Atzel think he has to do to get to paradise?
4. What does the older man hang from the walls in the room that is made to look like paradise?
5. What do the children request of Grandmother before they go to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children ask of their grandmother at the beginning of "Grandmother's Tale"?
2. Who is called to carry Gimpel to deliver the message about staying in their houses?
3. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
4. What does Dr. Yoetz see when he first checks on Atzel inside Kadish's house?
5. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
6. What is the rhyme at the end of "Grandmother's Tale"?
7. How do the Elders decide to tell the people not to trample the snow?
8. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
9. How does Atzel feel when he is told it is not time for him to go to paradise?
10. What do the Elders decide to do during the next snow after seeing what happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a common theme in these stories. Discuss the role of despair in the lives of Singer's characters.
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)