Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" lose as he entertains the children?
2. What was done with the barrel that supposedly held the moon?
3. How do the leaders decide to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
4. What does Atzel think people in paradise never do?
5. What does strange man do when the children realize who he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Elders decide to do during the next snow after seeing what happened?
2. Why did someone think the moon fell in a barrel?
3. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
4. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
5. What helps David get back to his house?
6. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
7. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
8. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
9. Why did the children keep playing with the strange man after they noticed something strange happening?
10. How does the rooster get out of the house?
Essay Topic 1
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)