|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atzel think he has to do to get to paradise?
2. What word does Grandmother use to describe the children in her story?
3. What symbol keeps appearing for the strange man in Grandmother's story while he is entertaining the children?
4. What color are the orphan girl's eyes?
5. What is there NOT included in the room made to look like paradise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Yoetz see when he first checks on Atzel inside Kadish's house?
2. What is the rhyme at the end of "Grandmother's Tale"?
3. Why does Atzel come to wish he were dead?
4. How do the Elders decide to tell the people not to trample the snow?
5. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
6. Why did someone think the moon fell in a barrel?
7. What do the Elders decide to do during the next snow after seeing what happened?
8. How does Atzel feel when he is told it is not time for him to go to paradise?
9. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
10. What does Gronam notice about the Hanukkah snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a common theme in these stories. Discuss the role of despair in the lives of Singer's characters.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in these stories have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and discuss their main motivation and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)