|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" do first when he entered the house?
2. What does the strange man look like as he spins around in the house?
3. Who were the leaders in Chelm?
4. What is there NOT included in the room made to look like paradise?
5. What symbol keeps appearing for the strange man in Grandmother's story while he is entertaining the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Atzel come to wish he were dead?
2. How does Atzel feel when he is told it is not time for him to go to paradise?
3. What happens to Atzel's life after his time in paradise?
4. What strange thing did the children notice while the strange man was playing with them?
5. What does Gronam notice about the Hanukkah snow?
6. What do the children ask of their grandmother at the beginning of "Grandmother's Tale"?
7. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
8. What does Atzel do on his first days in paradise, and how does he feel about this?
9. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
10. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)