|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what holiday does Grandmother's story take?
2. What is kept burning in the room made to look like paradise?
3. Why do the leaders in Chelm not want the people to do one of the things they highly enjoy?
4. What is the name of the older man in the first story?
5. What does Atzel ask for when he hears what the doctor tells the older man to do to cure Atzel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is invited as a special guest to Atzel's wedding and why?
2. What strange thing did the children notice while the strange man was playing with them?
3. What does Gronam notice about the Hanukkah snow?
4. What do the children ask of their grandmother at the beginning of "Grandmother's Tale"?
5. What do Tudras and Lekisch want to buy with the fortune from the snow?
6. What did the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" do when he came into the house?
7. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
8. What causes Atzel to change his ideas while he is in paradise?
9. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
10. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
These stories place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plots. Why might Singer have chosen these particular places for the stories to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes in these stories. In which short stories are these more evident? Which characters are the most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)