|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was done with the barrel that supposedly held the moon?
2. What do the people in Chelm like to do?
3. At what time do the children realize who the strange man in their house was?
4. What does the strange man look like as he spins around in the house?
5. What is Shmerel's title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the children keep playing with the strange man after they noticed something strange happening?
2. What strange thing did the children notice while the strange man was playing with them?
3. How does "Grandmother's Tale" begin?
4. What do the Elders see in the morning after Gimpel has delivered the message?
5. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
6. What did the strange man who appeared in "Grandmother's Tale" look like?
7. What did the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" do when he came into the house?
8. What do the children ask of their grandmother at the beginning of "Grandmother's Tale"?
9. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
10. What is the rhyme at the end of "Grandmother's Tale"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
These stories place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plots. Why might Singer have chosen these particular places for the stories to take place?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)