|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does the father in "Grandmother's Tale" have?
2. What does Atzel cease doing when he wants to go to paradise?
3. How do the leaders decide to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
4. What is the first thing Atzel asks for when he wakes up in the paradise room?
5. Who were the leaders in Chelm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of young man is Atzel when he grows up?
2. Who is called to carry Gimpel to deliver the message about staying in their houses?
3. What do the children ask of their grandmother at the beginning of "Grandmother's Tale"?
4. What did the strange man do after the children realized who he really was?
5. What came into the house as the strange man called out after his real identity was revealed?
6. What did the strange man who appeared in "Grandmother's Tale" look like?
7. What happened to show the children who the strange man really was?
8. How does Atzel feel during his own funeral?
9. What does Atzel do on his first days in paradise, and how does he feel about this?
10. What do the Elders see in the morning after Gimpel has delivered the message?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a common theme in these stories. Discuss the role of despair in the lives of Singer's characters.
Essay Topic 3
The Chelm Elders present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around them?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)