|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shlemiel say he would rather do than hear his wife's scolding?
2. How does Shlemiel get the baby back to sleep after he is hurt?
(a) Sings to him.
(b) Makes him a bottle.
(c) Rocks him gently.
(d) Lets him watch the clouds.
3. What is the first gift Shlemel gives Lemel?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A silver gulden.
(c) A penknife.
(d) A jar of chicken fat.
4. Who brings Mrs. Shlemiel another Hanukkah treat?
(a) The Elders.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her neighbors.
(d) The rabbi.
5. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
(a) West Chelm.
(b) Chelm Proper.
(c) Northwest Chelm.
(d) East Chelm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shlemiel think woke him up?
2. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
3. What does Shlemiel drink after eating the Hanukkah treat?
4. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
5. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as David returns to his house?
2. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
3. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
4. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
5. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
6. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
7. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
8. How does David feel while he is out in the storm?
9. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
10. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)