|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Calls for her husband.
(b) Covers them with a blanket.
(c) Cuts their hair.
(d) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
2. What does the devil do when he is released?
(b) Screams and yells.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Thanks David.
3. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
(a) Write out instructions for him.
(b) End their engagement.
(c) Marry him quickly.
(d) Travel with him.
4. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He bumps his head.
(b) He breaks a toe.
(c) He scratches his face.
(d) He cuts his hand.
5. Where is the devil walking in the snow?
(a) The city street.
(b) The forest.
(c) The riverbank.
(d) The countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
2. What does David do before releasing the devil?
3. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
4. What does Shlemiel mean?
5. Who brings Mrs. Shlemiel another Hanukkah treat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What helps David get back to his house?
2. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
3. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
4. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
5. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
6. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
7. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
8. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
9. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
10. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)