|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He thinks he can make some more.
(b) He plans to eat only a little bit.
(c) He wants to commit suicide.
(d) He finds the hiding spot.
2. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He is happy to be alive.
(b) He made her mad.
(c) He really wanted to die.
(d) He is sorry he hurt her.
3. What does David's father do when he is brought home?
(a) Kisses his wife.
(b) Apologizes to David.
(c) Slaps the devil.
(d) Runs inside.
4. How does David think his father got lost?
(a) He could not see the signs.
(b) The snow obscured his vision.
(c) He took the wrong road.
(d) He followed the wrong wagon.
5. How does the rooster get out of the house?
(a) It scratches open the door.
(b) It digs a hole.
(c) It flies out the window.
(d) It sneaks out when Shlemiel opens the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do when she hears her husband ate the Hanukkah treat?
2. What does Shlemiel mean?
3. How many children does Shlemiel have?
4. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
5. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
2. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
3. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
4. What helps David get back to his house?
5. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
6. How does the rooster get out of the house?
7. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
8. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
9. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
10. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)