|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
2. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
(a) Their feet are tangled.
(b) They do not see the sun.
(c) Their hair is all mixed up.
(d) They are too tired.
3. Who does the devil send to do what David asked of him?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His servant.
4. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(b) Calls for her husband.
(c) Covers them with a blanket.
(d) Cuts their hair.
5. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 9 days.
(d) 6 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
2. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
3. How does Lemel kill the duck Yenta gave him?
4. Where was David's father?
5. Why did David's father go to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
2. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
3. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
4. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
5. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
6. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
7. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
8. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
9. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
10. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)