|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
(a) His wife.
(b) His father.
(c) His mistress.
(d) His brother.
2. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
(d) Pulls down the curtains.
3. What wakes up Shlemiel after he eats the Hanukkah treat?
(a) The baby crying.
(b) A bell.
(c) A knock on the door.
(d) His wife yelling.
4. How does Lemel kill the duck Yenta gave him?
(a) It ate the eggs.
(b) It was attacked by a dog.
(c) It suffocated under his bed.
(d) It was covered with a cloth.
5. Why is Lemel unable to sign the marriage contract at first?
(a) He cannot write.
(b) He cannot read.
(c) He has no pen.
(d) He does not love Yenta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
2. How long ago did David's father go to the village?
3. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
4. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the market?
5. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
2. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
3. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
4. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
5. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
6. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
7. What helps David get back to his house?
8. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
9. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
10. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)