|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the devil gets caught in the door?
(a) His horn.
(b) His tail.
(c) His hoof.
(d) His claw.
2. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
(a) Call the priest.
(b) Cut the devil's tail off.
(c) Say another prayer.
(d) Sprinkle holy water on his hoof.
3. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He breaks a toe.
(b) He scratches his face.
(c) He cuts his hand.
(d) He bumps his head.
4. What does Shlemiel drink after eating the Hanukkah treat?
(b) Apple cider.
5. What does Shlemiel think woke him up?
(a) The rooster.
(b) The crying baby.
(c) A bell.
(d) A large crash.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first person to go looking for David's father?
2. What is Shmelkicha told to do about her daughters in bed?
3. What gift does Yenta give Lemel?
4. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
5. Who does the devil send to do what David asked of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rooster get out of the house?
2. How does David feel while he is out in the storm?
3. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
4. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
5. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
6. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
7. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
8. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
9. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
10. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)