|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
(a) 12 days.
(b) 9 days.
(c) 6 days.
(d) 3 days.
2. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Covers them with a blanket.
(b) Cuts their hair.
(c) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(d) Calls for her husband.
3. What does Mrs. Shlemiel make for Hanukkah?
(a) Caramel scones.
(b) Chocolate muffins.
(c) A jar of jam.
(d) Sweet bread.
4. Who brings Mrs. Shlemiel another Hanukkah treat?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The rabbi.
(c) Her neighbors.
(d) The Elders.
5. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do when she hears her husband ate the Hanukkah treat?
2. What does Shlemiel dream he is when he falls asleep after eating the Hanukkah treat?
3. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
4. What does David use to hurt the devil before releasing him?
5. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
2. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
3. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
4. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
5. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
6. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
7. What happens as David returns to his house?
8. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
9. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
10. What helps David get back to his house?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)