|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lemel's signature look like?
(a) Three circles.
(b) Three hearts.
(c) Three crosses.
(d) Three dashes.
2. What is Shmelkicha told to do about her daughters in bed?
(a) Hit them with a stick.
(b) Tickle their feet.
(c) Feed them some broth.
(d) Cut their hair.
3. What does Mrs. Shlemiel make for Hanukkah?
(a) A jar of jam.
(b) Sweet bread.
(c) Caramel scones.
(d) Chocolate muffins.
4. What does Shlemiel mean?
5. What surprises Lemel about the Elders after he has a baby?
(a) They do not remember his name.
(b) They wear mourning clothes to the baby's birth.
(c) They show their foolish nature.
(d) They cannot discern the sex of his child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the Hanukkah treat does Shlemiel eat?
2. Who does the devil send to do what David asked of him?
3. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
4. What does David do when the devil tries to get into his house?
5. Where is the devil walking in the snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rooster get out of the house?
2. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
3. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
4. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
5. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
6. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
7. What happens as David returns to his house?
8. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
9. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
10. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one day?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)