|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes up Shlemiel after he eats the Hanukkah treat?
(a) A bell.
(b) A knock on the door.
(c) His wife yelling.
(d) The baby crying.
2. How long after their wedding does Yenta have a baby?
(a) Two years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
3. What does David do when the devil tries to get into his house?
(a) Reads from the Bible.
(b) Says a prayer.
(c) Sings a hymn.
(d) Slams his door.
4. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
(a) End their engagement.
(b) Write out instructions for him.
(c) Marry him quickly.
(d) Travel with him.
5. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
2. What does David wrap his sister in to keep her warm?
3. What gift does Yenta give Lemel?
4. How does the rooster get out of the house?
5. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as David returns to his house?
2. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
3. What helps David get back to his house?
4. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
5. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
6. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
7. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
8. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
9. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
10. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)