|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lemel's signature look like?
(a) Three dashes.
(b) Three circles.
(c) Three hearts.
(d) Three crosses.
2. Where is the devil walking in the snow?
(a) The forest.
(b) The countryside.
(c) The city street.
(d) The riverbank.
3. What does David do before releasing the devil?
(a) Files down his claw.
(b) Brands his hide.
(c) Cure his hoof.
(d) Burns his tail.
4. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
(a) Northwest Chelm.
(b) West Chelm.
(c) East Chelm.
(d) Chelm Proper.
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
(a) Don't eat the poison.
(b) Fold the laundry.
(c) Watch the baby.
(d) Keep the rooster in the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Yenta give Lemel?
2. What do Shlemiel and his wife eat in his dream?
3. What does David's father do when he is brought home?
4. What is the first gift Shlemel gives Lemel?
5. What does Shlemiel think woke him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
2. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
3. How does David feel while he is out in the storm?
4. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
5. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
6. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
7. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
8. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
9. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
10. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)