|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Lemel about the Elders after he has a baby?
(a) They wear mourning clothes to the baby's birth.
(b) They do not remember his name.
(c) They cannot discern the sex of his child.
(d) They show their foolish nature.
2. What does David do before releasing the devil?
(a) Burns his tail.
(b) Cure his hoof.
(c) Brands his hide.
(d) Files down his claw.
3. What do Shlemiel and his wife eat in his dream?
(a) Roast beef.
(b) Cinnamon rolls.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
4. What does Shlemiel say he would rather do than hear his wife's scolding?
5. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
(a) Maurice Sendak.
(b) Matthias Sardek.
(c) Matthew Sardank.
(d) Markus Sardrink.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the Hanukkah treat does Shlemiel eat?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
3. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
4. Who does the devil send to do what David asked of him?
5. Why did David's father go to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
2. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
3. How does David feel while he is out in the storm?
4. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
5. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
6. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
7. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
8. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
9. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
10. What happens as David returns to his house?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)