|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
(a) Say another prayer.
(b) Cut the devil's tail off.
(c) Sprinkle holy water on his hoof.
(d) Call the priest.
2. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He breaks a toe.
(b) He cuts his hand.
(c) He scratches his face.
(d) He bumps his head.
3. What night of Hanukkah does this story start out on?
(a) The Fourth.
(b) The Second.
(c) The Third.
(d) The First.
4. How does Lemel kill the duck Yenta gave him?
(a) It suffocated under his bed.
(b) It was attacked by a dog.
(c) It was covered with a cloth.
(d) It ate the eggs.
5. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
(a) Lemel will no longer be a stranger if they are betrothed.
(b) She is told of Lemel's hidden wealth.
(c) Lemel promises to grow a few inches before the wedding.
(d) She is reminded of the single bed in her parent's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
2. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
3. What does Shlemiel mean?
4. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
5. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
2. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
3. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
4. What happens as David returns to his house?
5. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
6. What helps David get back to his house?
7. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
8. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
9. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
10. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)