|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David wrap his sister in to keep her warm?
(c) Old scarves.
(d) A coat.
2. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(b) Cuts their hair.
(c) Covers them with a blanket.
(d) Calls for her husband.
3. What does David do when the devil tries to get into his house?
(a) Slams his door.
(b) Sings a hymn.
(c) Says a prayer.
(d) Reads from the Bible.
4. Why is Lemel unable to sign the marriage contract at first?
(a) He cannot read.
(b) He does not love Yenta.
(c) He cannot write.
(d) He has no pen.
5. What is Shmelkicha told to do about her daughters in bed?
(a) Tickle their feet.
(b) Cut their hair.
(c) Feed them some broth.
(d) Hit them with a stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shlemiel mean?
2. Why did David's father go to the village?
3. What does Yenta's signature look like?
4. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
5. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
2. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
3. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
4. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
5. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
6. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
7. What helps David get back to his house?
8. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
9. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
10. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)