|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What TV crew came to see how Filipovic's family handled the October 17th shelling?
2. Where were Nedo and his girlfriend on May 25, 1993?
3. According to Filipovich, what was destroying her childhood and destroying her parents lives?
4. What significant event took place on September 27, 1993?
5. According to Filipovic's entry on September 17, 1993, how many people have died since the beginning of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Filipovic remembered the horrible shelling that took place on May 2, 1992. Describe what she remembered from that horrible day.
2. Describe Christmas 1992 at Auntie Radmila's.
3. Why did Filipovich stop writing in her diary about the war and shooting?
4. Explain Filipovic's feelings of sorrow and joy as she left Sarajevo.
5. Why did Filipovic visit Martina and Matea's room on April 19, 1993?
6. What did Auntie Radmila often surprise Filipovic with?
7. What was Filipovic's life like on June 22, 1993?
8. What did Filipovic do at her first music lesson since March on December 28, 1992?
9. What two pieces of bad news did Filipovic reveal on June 26, 1993?
10. Describe the shelling that took place on May 31, 1993.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weather was cold and snowy in January of 1993. Filipovic began to think about past winters. Her family and friends often went to Crnotina and Mount Jahorina to get away from the city.
Part 1) Describe the winter of 1993. How did it compare to the winters before the war?
Part 2) Discuss Jahorina. What did the children do there?
Part 3) Describe the Filipovic house at Crnotina before the war.
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic was re-reading letters that she received from friends that left Sarajevo. Filipovic wrote that she wanted her life back not just letters.
Part 1) How do each of the letters Filipovic received discuss the past?
Part 2) What effect do the letters have on Filipovic's morale? Explain.
Part 3) What do the letters reveal about Filipovic's relationship with each of those that sent letters?
Essay Topic 3
On October 13, 1993, Filipovic received a letter from Oga. The letter discussed memories of pre-war life. Compare Oga's letter with Filipovic's first diary entries beginning with September 2, 1991 to October 13, 1991.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)