|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news crew filmed Filipovic as "person of the week" on July 23, 1993?
2. What did Biljana Cankovic need to keep her job?
3. Where was Filipovic after Samra's wedding?
4. Where was Julio Fuentos from?
5. Who was seriously ill and hospitalized in March of 1993?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Nedo do in Split?
2. Describe Christmas 1992 at Auntie Radmila's.
3. Why did Filipovic visit Martina and Matea's room on April 19, 1993?
4. Why was Filipovic concerned about going back to school in March of 1993?
5. Why did Filipovich stop writing in her diary about the war and shooting?
6. What did Filipovic say about the homeless in Sarajevo in April of 1993?
7. What were the "kids" doing at a meeting on August 21, 1993?
8. Describe what Filipovic observed as she rode to the airport?
9. With the ringing in of the New Year, explain what the people of Sarajevo wanted in 1993?
10. How did Filipovic describe Paris in December of 1993?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zlata Filipovic lived a normal life previous to the war in Bosnia. Filipovic's life changed when the first bullets and shells were fired. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life and her life during the war.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo, Filipovic wrote about the constant loss of electric and gas. She also discussed how the people coped.
Part 1) How did Filipovic suggest people coped with no gas or electricity over extended periods of time?
Part 2) Explain how the process of staying warm and getting ready for winter despite the lack of gas or electricity. What problems did people face because of the process to prepare?
Part 3) Describe how Filipovic continued to read, write, and learn despite interruptions in gas and electric service.
Essay Topic 3
The war was very emotional for Filipovic's mother. Filipovic's mother suffered several illnesses.
Part 1) After her mother became sick, Filipovic had added responsibilities. Discuss Filipovic's additional responsibilities.
Part 2) Filipovic's mother had several friends and family members killed from the shelling and shooting. How did this affect her mother's morale as the war continued.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)