|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Julio Fuentos from?
2. According to Filipovic, what was an "ash heap" in her entry dated December 25, 1992?
3. What food did Filipovic cook for Cicko but he wouldn't touch?
4. What did Filipovic get on May 20, 1993?
5. How did Filipovic feel about music lessons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illustration or story did Filipovic share at the promotion of her diary at Cafe Jez?
2. What was constant in the minds of Mikica and Daco in December of 1992?
3. Filipovic remembered the horrible shelling that took place on May 2, 1992. Describe what she remembered from that horrible day.
4. What did Filipovic say about the homeless in Sarajevo in April of 1993?
5. Explain Filipovic's father's condition after cutting wood on January 8, 1993.
6. Describe what Filipovic observed as she rode to the airport?
7. How did Filipovic feel about school in September 1993?
8. Why did Filipovich stop writing in her diary about the war and shooting?
9. What two pieces of bad news did Filipovic reveal on June 26, 1993?
10. What was one of the problems facing Sarajevo authorities in keeping the electricity on in August of 1993?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Filipovic discussed several pets she had or shared with others during the war. Filipovic had a bird, cat, and dog at different times throughout the war.
Part 1) Describe the pets that Filipovic had during the war.
Part 2) Explain how pets were a comfort or therapeutic to Filipovic during stressful times during the war.
Part 3) How did Filipovic react to the death of her pets?
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic took school seriously and often complained when school was not in session. When school was canceled due to the war, Filipovic searched for ways to continue her education despite the war that continued.
Part 1) How did Filipovic learn when school was not in session?
Part 2) What was Filipovic's favorite subject in school?
Part 3) Who often visited Filipovic's house to teach when school was closed due to the dangers in the streets of Sarajevo?
Essay Topic 3
Zlata Filipovic lived a normal life previous to the war in Bosnia. Filipovic's life changed when the first bullets and shells were fired. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life and her life during the war.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)