|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the children pushing and fighting on December 25, 1992?
2. What color was the puppy that came to Alma and Dado's?
3. How did Filipovic feel on May 31, 1993?
4. What was in the flowerpot that Auntie Radmila brought Filipovic in July 1993?
5. What sound woke Filipovic every morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the changes that took place as Filipovic started seventh grade.
2. Describe what the war destroyed according to Filipovic on March 15, 1993.
3. What did Filipovic say about the homeless in Sarajevo in April of 1993?
4. What did Filipovic say the "lunatics in the hills" had stolen?
5. What did Nedo do in Split?
6. Filipovic remembered the horrible shelling that took place on May 2, 1992. Describe what she remembered from that horrible day.
7. What were the "kids" doing at a meeting on August 21, 1993?
8. With the ringing in of the New Year, explain what the people of Sarajevo wanted in 1993?
9. What was Filipovic's life like on June 22, 1993?
10. How did Filipovic feel about school in September 1993?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weather was cold and snowy in January of 1993. Filipovic began to think about past winters. Her family and friends often went to Crnotina and Mount Jahorina to get away from the city.
Part 1) Describe the winter of 1993. How did it compare to the winters before the war?
Part 2) Discuss Jahorina. What did the children do there?
Part 3) Describe the Filipovic house at Crnotina before the war.
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic discussed that "life was disappearing" in an entry dated March 19, 1993.
Part 1) What did Filipovic mean by the statement that "life was disappearing"?
Part 2) What examples did Filipovic give to back up her statement?
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic took school seriously and often complained when school was not in session. When school was canceled due to the war, Filipovic searched for ways to continue her education despite the war that continued.
Part 1) How did Filipovic learn when school was not in session?
Part 2) What was Filipovic's favorite subject in school?
Part 3) Who often visited Filipovic's house to teach when school was closed due to the dangers in the streets of Sarajevo?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)