|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zika bring Filipovic on September 5, 1993?
2. How many shells fell from 4:30 until later in the day on October 17, 1993?
3. Who did Filipovic see on June 10, 1993 that was in love with her in fourth grade?
4. How old did Filipovic turn in December of 1993?
5. Which city were the "three warring sides" attempting to reach an agreement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the "kids" doing at a meeting on August 21, 1993?
2. What illustration or story did Filipovic share at the promotion of her diary at Cafe Jez?
3. Why did Filipovic visit Martina and Matea's room on April 19, 1993?
4. Why was Filipovic concerned about going back to school in March of 1993?
5. What did Auntie Radmila often surprise Filipovic with?
6. What two pieces of bad news did Filipovic reveal on June 26, 1993?
7. Describe what the war destroyed according to Filipovic on March 15, 1993.
8. Why was Kenan hospitalized on August 21, 1993?
9. Describe the changes that took place as Filipovic started seventh grade.
10. Why did Filipovich stop writing in her diary about the war and shooting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo, Filipovic wrote about the constant loss of electric and gas. She also discussed how the people coped.
Part 1) How did Filipovic suggest people coped with no gas or electricity over extended periods of time?
Part 2) Explain how the process of staying warm and getting ready for winter despite the lack of gas or electricity. What problems did people face because of the process to prepare?
Part 3) Describe how Filipovic continued to read, write, and learn despite interruptions in gas and electric service.
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic discussed several pets she had or shared with others during the war. Filipovic had a bird, cat, and dog at different times throughout the war.
Part 1) Describe the pets that Filipovic had during the war.
Part 2) Explain how pets were a comfort or therapeutic to Filipovic during stressful times during the war.
Part 3) How did Filipovic react to the death of her pets?
Essay Topic 3
War is a horrible event to live through. The constant shelling, gunfire, and fearing for your life becomes part of everyday life.
Part 1) Explain Filipovic's change in morale from when the war started and as the war continued.
Part 2) Describe the effects war had on Filipovic's immediate and distant family.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)