|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opened the bottle of champagne to celebrate the New Year?
2. Who was seriously ill and hospitalized in March of 1993?
3. How did Filipovic feel about music lessons?
4. Who taught physics in March of 1993 at Filipovic's school?
5. What news crew filmed Filipovic as "person of the week" on July 23, 1993?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the war destroyed according to Filipovic on March 15, 1993.
2. What did Filipovic say the "lunatics in the hills" had stolen?
3. Describe what Filipovic observed as she rode to the airport?
4. Why did Filipovic visit Martina and Matea's room on April 19, 1993?
5. Describe the changes that took place as Filipovic started seventh grade.
6. Describe the shelling that took place on May 31, 1993.
7. Explain Filipovic's father's condition after cutting wood on January 8, 1993.
8. What did Oga say in a letter about the houses in Jahorina?
9. How did Filipovic describe Paris in December of 1993?
10. What did Filipovic think about the "conditional acceptance of the Geneva agreement"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Journalists from around the world began visiting Filipovic on a consistent basis in July of 1993.
Part 1) What role did the journalists play in getting the story of the people of Sarajevo to the world? Did the journalists convince world leaders to get involved in the peacekeeping mission?
Part 2) Explain the role of ABC News. Why were they important to Filipovic and her story?
Part 3) Explain the role of Alexandra and other French journalists.
Essay Topic 2
Zlata's Filipovic's diary nicknamed "Mimmy" was published as a child's diary focused on the war in Sarajevo. The diary was published during UNICEF week. Compare Zlata's Diary and The Diary of Anne Frank.
Part 1) How are the diaries similar?
Part 2) How are the diaries different?
Part 3) Filipovic suggested in a diary entry dated August 2, 1993 that she did not want to suffer the same fate as Anne Frank. What did she mean by that statement?
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic was re-reading letters that she received from friends that left Sarajevo. Filipovic wrote that she wanted her life back not just letters.
Part 1) How do each of the letters Filipovic received discuss the past?
Part 2) What effect do the letters have on Filipovic's morale? Explain.
Part 3) What do the letters reveal about Filipovic's relationship with each of those that sent letters?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)