|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was seriously ill and hospitalized in March of 1993?
2. Who was taking Nedo's leaving the worst?
3. Who was the class mistress in March of 1993 at Filipovic's school?
4. What TV crew came to see how Filipovic's family handled the October 17th shelling?
5. What letter is overused in the Bosnian language dictionary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was constant in the minds of Mikica and Daco in December of 1992?
2. What illustration or story did Filipovic share at the promotion of her diary at Cafe Jez?
3. Explain Filipovic's feelings of sorrow and joy as she left Sarajevo.
4. What did Oga say in a letter about the houses in Jahorina?
5. What groups of people were involved in the politics of Bosnia?
6. How did Filipovic describe Paris in December of 1993?
7. Why was Filipovic concerned about going back to school in March of 1993?
8. Why was Kenan hospitalized on August 21, 1993?
9. Describe Nedo's goodbye according to Filipovic.
10. Filipovic remembered the horrible shelling that took place on May 2, 1992. Describe what she remembered from that horrible day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo, Filipovic wrote about the constant loss of electric and gas. She also discussed how the people coped.
Part 1) How did Filipovic suggest people coped with no gas or electricity over extended periods of time?
Part 2) Explain how the process of staying warm and getting ready for winter despite the lack of gas or electricity. What problems did people face because of the process to prepare?
Part 3) Describe how Filipovic continued to read, write, and learn despite interruptions in gas and electric service.
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic took school seriously and often complained when school was not in session. When school was canceled due to the war, Filipovic searched for ways to continue her education despite the war that continued.
Part 1) How did Filipovic learn when school was not in session?
Part 2) What was Filipovic's favorite subject in school?
Part 3) Who often visited Filipovic's house to teach when school was closed due to the dangers in the streets of Sarajevo?
Essay Topic 3
On October 13, 1993, Filipovic received a letter from Oga. The letter discussed memories of pre-war life. Compare Oga's letter with Filipovic's first diary entries beginning with September 2, 1991 to October 13, 1991.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)