|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who left Sarajevo on August 27, 1993?
2. How many suitcases did Filipovic pack to take with her when she left Sarajevo?
3. Who was the French Defense Minister in December of 1993?
4. Who started working for UNPROFOR in March of 1993?
5. Who did Filipovic receive a letter from on February 25, 1993?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Filipovic concerned about going back to school in March of 1993?
2. Why did Filipovich stop writing in her diary about the war and shooting?
3. Describe what Filipovic observed as she rode to the airport?
4. What did Filipovic say about the homeless in Sarajevo in April of 1993?
5. With the ringing in of the New Year, explain what the people of Sarajevo wanted in 1993?
6. Describe Nedo's goodbye according to Filipovic.
7. What were the "kids" doing at a meeting on August 21, 1993?
8. What was constant in the minds of Mikica and Daco in December of 1992?
9. Explain Filipovic's feelings of sorrow and joy as she left Sarajevo.
10. What did Auntie Radmila often surprise Filipovic with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zlata Filipovic lived a normal life previous to the war in Bosnia. Filipovic's life changed when the first bullets and shells were fired. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life and her life during the war.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo, Filipovic wrote about the constant loss of electric and gas. She also discussed how the people coped.
Part 1) How did Filipovic suggest people coped with no gas or electricity over extended periods of time?
Part 2) Explain how the process of staying warm and getting ready for winter despite the lack of gas or electricity. What problems did people face because of the process to prepare?
Part 3) Describe how Filipovic continued to read, write, and learn despite interruptions in gas and electric service.
Essay Topic 3
On October 13, 1993, Filipovic received a letter from Oga. The letter discussed memories of pre-war life. Compare Oga's letter with Filipovic's first diary entries beginning with September 2, 1991 to October 13, 1991.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)