|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was killed on January 9, 1993?
2. What organization was Gordana Trebinjac from?
3. What did Filipovic injure going down the stairs at the Bobars?
4. Where was Paul "the journalist" leaving for on September 8, 1993?
5. How old did Filipovic turn in December of 1993?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Filipovic say the "lunatics in the hills" had stolen?
2. Describe what Filipovic observed as she rode to the airport?
3. What was Filipovic's life like on June 22, 1993?
4. Describe the shelling that took place on May 31, 1993.
5. How did Filipovic describe Paris in December of 1993?
6. Describe the changes that took place as Filipovic started seventh grade.
7. Why did Filipovich stop writing in her diary about the war and shooting?
8. What two pieces of bad news did Filipovic reveal on June 26, 1993?
9. What did Filipovic say about the homeless in Sarajevo in April of 1993?
10. What groups of people were involved in the politics of Bosnia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zlata's Filipovic's diary nicknamed "Mimmy" was published as a child's diary focused on the war in Sarajevo. The diary was published during UNICEF week. Compare Zlata's Diary and The Diary of Anne Frank.
Part 1) How are the diaries similar?
Part 2) How are the diaries different?
Part 3) Filipovic suggested in a diary entry dated August 2, 1993 that she did not want to suffer the same fate as Anne Frank. What did she mean by that statement?
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic was re-reading letters that she received from friends that left Sarajevo. Filipovic wrote that she wanted her life back not just letters.
Part 1) How do each of the letters Filipovic received discuss the past?
Part 2) What effect do the letters have on Filipovic's morale? Explain.
Part 3) What do the letters reveal about Filipovic's relationship with each of those that sent letters?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo, Filipovic wrote about the constant loss of electric and gas. She also discussed how the people coped.
Part 1) How did Filipovic suggest people coped with no gas or electricity over extended periods of time?
Part 2) Explain how the process of staying warm and getting ready for winter despite the lack of gas or electricity. What problems did people face because of the process to prepare?
Part 3) Describe how Filipovic continued to read, write, and learn despite interruptions in gas and electric service.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)