|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Filipovic, what was an "ash heap" in her entry dated December 25, 1992?
2. What news crew filmed Filipovic as "person of the week" on July 23, 1993?
3. How old did Filipovic turn in December of 1993?
4. Who was sick and in the hospital with jaundice on August 21, 1993?
5. Where did Filipovic leave her sled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Oga say in a letter about the houses in Jahorina?
2. Describe what Filipovic observed as she rode to the airport?
3. What did Filipovic think about the "conditional acceptance of the Geneva agreement"?
4. What two pieces of bad news did Filipovic reveal on June 26, 1993?
5. Why was Kenan hospitalized on August 21, 1993?
6. Describe the changes that took place as Filipovic started seventh grade.
7. Why did Filipovic visit Martina and Matea's room on April 19, 1993?
8. What was one of the problems facing Sarajevo authorities in keeping the electricity on in August of 1993?
9. Explain Filipovic's feelings of sorrow and joy as she left Sarajevo.
10. Describe the shelling that took place on May 31, 1993.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Filipovic was re-reading letters that she received from friends that left Sarajevo. Filipovic wrote that she wanted her life back not just letters.
Part 1) How do each of the letters Filipovic received discuss the past?
Part 2) What effect do the letters have on Filipovic's morale? Explain.
Part 3) What do the letters reveal about Filipovic's relationship with each of those that sent letters?
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic discussed several pets she had or shared with others during the war. Filipovic had a bird, cat, and dog at different times throughout the war.
Part 1) Describe the pets that Filipovic had during the war.
Part 2) Explain how pets were a comfort or therapeutic to Filipovic during stressful times during the war.
Part 3) How did Filipovic react to the death of her pets?
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic lived a typical childhood until the shells began to fall and the gunfire started. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life with her post-war life discussed in the entry dated December 1993.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)