|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many suitcases did Filipovic pack to take with her when she left Sarajevo?
2. What sea did the plane fly over as it left Bosnia and Herzegovina?
3. Which city were the "three warring sides" attempting to reach an agreement?
4. Why did Filipovic refer to Sarajevo as?
5. What school subject did Filipovic have to study that made her unhappy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christmas 1992 at Auntie Radmila's.
2. What two pieces of bad news did Filipovic reveal on June 26, 1993?
3. Explain Filipovic's feelings of sorrow and joy as she left Sarajevo.
4. What did Filipovic say the "lunatics in the hills" had stolen?
5. Describe the shelling that took place on May 31, 1993.
6. What groups of people were involved in the politics of Bosnia?
7. Describe the changes that took place as Filipovic started seventh grade.
8. What did Filipovic do at her first music lesson since March on December 28, 1992?
9. What illustration or story did Filipovic share at the promotion of her diary at Cafe Jez?
10. What was constant in the minds of Mikica and Daco in December of 1992?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Filipovic was able to escape Sarajevo and move to Paris. Filipovic described the city of Paris as she saw it outside the airplane window. Compare the cities of Sarajevo and Paris.
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic discussed several pets she had or shared with others during the war. Filipovic had a bird, cat, and dog at different times throughout the war.
Part 1) Describe the pets that Filipovic had during the war.
Part 2) Explain how pets were a comfort or therapeutic to Filipovic during stressful times during the war.
Part 3) How did Filipovic react to the death of her pets?
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic was re-reading letters that she received from friends that left Sarajevo. Filipovic wrote that she wanted her life back not just letters.
Part 1) How do each of the letters Filipovic received discuss the past?
Part 2) What effect do the letters have on Filipovic's morale? Explain.
Part 3) What do the letters reveal about Filipovic's relationship with each of those that sent letters?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)