|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What TV crew came to see how Filipovic's family handled the October 17th shelling?
2. How long did Filipovic spend in the shower/bathtub when arriving at the hotel?
3. What day was disappointing when the personal carrier did not show up to take the Filipovic family out of Sarajevo?
4. What significant event took place on September 27, 1993?
5. What sound woke Filipovic every morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Filipovich stop writing in her diary about the war and shooting?
2. What two pieces of bad news did Filipovic reveal on June 26, 1993?
3. Explain Filipovic's feelings of sorrow and joy as she left Sarajevo.
4. What did Filipovic say the "lunatics in the hills" had stolen?
5. What illustration or story did Filipovic share at the promotion of her diary at Cafe Jez?
6. What did Filipovic say about the homeless in Sarajevo in April of 1993?
7. Explain Filipovic's father's condition after cutting wood on January 8, 1993.
8. What did Filipovic do at her first music lesson since March on December 28, 1992?
9. How did Filipovic describe Paris in December of 1993?
10. Describe the shelling that took place on May 31, 1993.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Filipovic lived a typical childhood until the shells began to fall and the gunfire started. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life with her post-war life discussed in the entry dated December 1993.
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic took school seriously and often complained when school was not in session. When school was canceled due to the war, Filipovic searched for ways to continue her education despite the war that continued.
Part 1) How did Filipovic learn when school was not in session?
Part 2) What was Filipovic's favorite subject in school?
Part 3) Who often visited Filipovic's house to teach when school was closed due to the dangers in the streets of Sarajevo?
Essay Topic 3
Journalists from around the world began visiting Filipovic on a consistent basis in July of 1993.
Part 1) What role did the journalists play in getting the story of the people of Sarajevo to the world? Did the journalists convince world leaders to get involved in the peacekeeping mission?
Part 2) Explain the role of ABC News. Why were they important to Filipovic and her story?
Part 3) Explain the role of Alexandra and other French journalists.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)