|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building did Filipovic's dad take a picture of as it was burning?
2. What was the name of the pizzeria around the corner from Zlata's house?
3. Who did Filipovich give a necklace and bracelet to for her eighteenth birthday?
4. Who was a refugee from Grbavica and left everything behind?
5. Which side of the Filipovic's house was dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Melica say she heard at the hairdresser's?
2. Describe life in the cellar during the shelling and shooting in Sarajevo.
3. Why was Filipovic's mother upset on May 13, 1992?
4. Why did Filipovic want to see Mirna on May 13?
5. How did the Filipovics find their apartment when a shell fell nearby?
6. What did Filipovic discuss as she walked across the bridge and around the post office on September 20, 1992?
7. Where did Filipovic and her friends spend their holidays?
8. Why was Filipovic sad on November 25, 1992?
9. How did FIlipovic and her father react when the marketplace was shelled and Filipovic's mother was nearby?
10. What did Filipovic think about the kitten Cici?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Filipovic discussed several pets she had or shared with others during the war. Filipovic had a bird, cat, and dog at different times throughout the war.
Part 1) Describe the pets that Filipovic had during the war.
Part 2) Explain how pets were a comfort or therapeutic to Filipovic during stressful times during the war.
Part 3) How did Filipovic react to the death of her pets?
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic lived a typical childhood until the shells began to fall and the gunfire started. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life with her post-war life discussed in the entry dated December 1993.
Essay Topic 3
Journalists from around the world began visiting Filipovic on a consistent basis in July of 1993.
Part 1) What role did the journalists play in getting the story of the people of Sarajevo to the world? Did the journalists convince world leaders to get involved in the peacekeeping mission?
Part 2) Explain the role of ABC News. Why were they important to Filipovic and her story?
Part 3) Explain the role of Alexandra and other French journalists.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)