|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "RFI" stand for?
2. According to Filipovich's October 27, 1992 entry, where might Maja and Bojana be going?
3. Who was going to publish Filipovich's diary?
4. What location did Mommy and Auntie Ivanka receive grants to specialize in?
5. On May 29, 1992, what fell on the house across the way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at the park on May 7, 1992?
2. Describe Filipovic's responsibilities during her mother's illness in February of 1992.
3. Why was Filipovic sad on November 25, 1992?
4. What was "war" according to Filipovic?
5. How did the Filipovics find their apartment when a shell fell nearby?
6. Describe Filipovic's Christmas in December of 1991.
7. What were Filipovic's feelings on summer school in August of 1992?
8. Describe life in the cellar during the shelling and shooting in Sarajevo.
9. Describe Filipovic's feelings on the war after Mladjo was killed?
10. What did a UN Humanitarian Aid package contain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo, Filipovic wrote about the constant loss of electric and gas. She also discussed how the people coped.
Part 1) How did Filipovic suggest people coped with no gas or electricity over extended periods of time?
Part 2) Explain how the process of staying warm and getting ready for winter despite the lack of gas or electricity. What problems did people face because of the process to prepare?
Part 3) Describe how Filipovic continued to read, write, and learn despite interruptions in gas and electric service.
Essay Topic 2
The weather was cold and snowy in January of 1993. Filipovic began to think about past winters. Her family and friends often went to Crnotina and Mount Jahorina to get away from the city.
Part 1) Describe the winter of 1993. How did it compare to the winters before the war?
Part 2) Discuss Jahorina. What did the children do there?
Part 3) Describe the Filipovic house at Crnotina before the war.
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic took school seriously and often complained when school was not in session. When school was canceled due to the war, Filipovic searched for ways to continue her education despite the war that continued.
Part 1) How did Filipovic learn when school was not in session?
Part 2) What was Filipovic's favorite subject in school?
Part 3) Who often visited Filipovic's house to teach when school was closed due to the dangers in the streets of Sarajevo?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)