|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cut Filipovich's hair since all the hairdresser's shops were closed?
2. What sport did Filipovic and her friends do at "Boza's Trail"?
3. Which section of town was being shelled in April 1992?
4. Who moved to the Zvijezda tower blocks on October 26, 1992?
5. What was the name of the pizzeria around the corner from Zlata's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Auntie Radmila often surprise Filipovic with?
2. Describe what Filipovic observed as she rode to the airport?
3. Describe Filipovic's Christmas in December of 1991.
4. What was one of the problems facing Sarajevo authorities in keeping the electricity on in August of 1993?
5. Describe the violence in Sarajevo as described by Filipovic in March of 1992.
6. Describe what the war destroyed according to Filipovic on March 15, 1993.
7. Describe Filipovic's responsibilities during her mother's illness in February of 1992.
8. How did Filipovic describe her life on June 29, 1992?
9. Describe Nedo's goodbye according to Filipovic.
10. What did Filipovic do at her first music lesson since March on December 28, 1992?
Essay Topic 1
Filipovic discussed several pets she had or shared with others during the war. Filipovic had a bird, cat, and dog at different times throughout the war.
Part 1) Describe the pets that Filipovic had during the war.
Part 2) Explain how pets were a comfort or therapeutic to Filipovic during stressful times during the war.
Part 3) How did Filipovic react to the death of her pets?
Essay Topic 2
Zlata's Filipovic's diary nicknamed "Mimmy" was published as a child's diary focused on the war in Sarajevo. The diary was published during UNICEF week. Compare Zlata's Diary and The Diary of Anne Frank.
Part 1) How are the diaries similar?
Part 2) How are the diaries different?
Part 3) Filipovic suggested in a diary entry dated August 2, 1993 that she did not want to suffer the same fate as Anne Frank. What did she mean by that statement?
Essay Topic 3
Christmas was a very important time for Filipovic, her family, and her friends. Filipovic recorded two entries that focused on Christmas. Compare the Christmas of 1991 and 1992.
Part 1) Where were the Christmas celebrations held? Who attended the Christmas celebrations?
Part 2) Which group provided gifts for the children? Who organized the event?
Part 3) Explain Filipovic's reaction to the events taking place during Christmas.
This section contains 1,732 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)