|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the street that had to shells explode in on May 27th, 1992?
2. How did Filipovic's father power the radio after the battery died?
3. Who moved to the Zvijezda tower blocks on October 26, 1992?
4. Who was the woman who helped at Filipovich's home when her mom was not feeling well?
5. How did Martina and Matea travel to Krsko?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Filipovic's mother upset on May 13, 1992?
2. Describe Filipovic's grandparents reaction to see her four months after the war started.
3. What were Filipovic's feelings on summer school in August of 1992?
4. Describe Filipovic's feelings on the war after Mladjo was killed?
5. What was "war" according to Filipovic?
6. What did Filipovic think about the kitten Cici?
7. Describe Filipovic's responsibilities during her mother's illness in February of 1992.
8. What did Filipovic and her friends do when they visited Jahorina?
9. Who was the war hardest on according to Auntie Ivanka?
10. What did Melica say she heard at the hairdresser's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zlata Filipovic lived a normal life previous to the war in Bosnia. Filipovic's life changed when the first bullets and shells were fired. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life and her life during the war.
Essay Topic 2
The city of Otes was being bombarded by shells and was being destroyed. Otes suffered severe damage, and the Filipovics had several friends that lived in the city.
Part 1) Who lived in Otes? Were they able to escape the carnage?
Part 2) Describe the destruction to the city of Otes.
Part 3) How did the people that escaped adjust to being refugees in Sarajevo?
Essay Topic 3
Journalists from around the world began visiting Filipovic on a consistent basis in July of 1993.
Part 1) What role did the journalists play in getting the story of the people of Sarajevo to the world? Did the journalists convince world leaders to get involved in the peacekeeping mission?
Part 2) Explain the role of ABC News. Why were they important to Filipovic and her story?
Part 3) Explain the role of Alexandra and other French journalists.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)