|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the significance of March 8th when the art teacher brought in a picture?
2. Where was summer school held?
3. What was the city of Sarajevo full of on March 2, 1992?
4. What program was Zlata watching on MTV in October 1991?
5. Where did Filipovic's father cut wood with the electric saw?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did FIlipovic and her father react when the marketplace was shelled and Filipovic's mother was nearby?
2. What did Filipovic and her friends do when they visited Jahorina?
3. Who was the war hardest on according to Auntie Ivanka?
4. How did Filipovic think people in the streets reacted to being in a war zone?
5. Where did Filipovic and her friends spend their holidays?
6. Describe Filipovic's grandparents reaction to see her four months after the war started.
7. Describe Filipovic's Christmas in December of 1991.
8. Why did Filipovic's father come back from Zenica upset?
9. Describe Filipovic's feelings on the war after Mladjo was killed?
10. What did Melica say she heard at the hairdresser's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Filipovic took school seriously and often complained when school was not in session. When school was canceled due to the war, Filipovic searched for ways to continue her education despite the war that continued.
Part 1) How did Filipovic learn when school was not in session?
Part 2) What was Filipovic's favorite subject in school?
Part 3) Who often visited Filipovic's house to teach when school was closed due to the dangers in the streets of Sarajevo?
Essay Topic 2
The war was very emotional for Filipovic's mother. Filipovic's mother suffered several illnesses.
Part 1) After her mother became sick, Filipovic had added responsibilities. Discuss Filipovic's additional responsibilities.
Part 2) Filipovic's mother had several friends and family members killed from the shelling and shooting. How did this affect her mother's morale as the war continued.
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic describes the war in her diary using capital letters to describe the feelings he had on May 13 and 27 and June 29 and December 28 of 1992.
Part 1) Why did Filipovic use capital letters in some of her journal entry?
Part 2) What words did she use to describe the events?
Part 3) Why do you believe Filipovic chose the words she used?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)