|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did a shell fall on May 7, 1992?
2. What was "our life" according to Filipovich on August 5, 1992?
3. What building did Filipovic's dad take a picture of as it was burning?
4. In April of 1992, what town did Filipovic's dad return from where he was upset?
5. How many days did Zlata finally celebrate her eleventh birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did schools finish the year in May of 1992?
2. Why did Filipovic's father come back from Zenica upset?
3. Where did Filipovic and her friends spend their holidays?
4. Why was Filipovic's mother upset on May 13, 1992?
5. What did Filipovic discuss as she walked across the bridge and around the post office on September 20, 1992?
6. Why was Filipovic sad on November 25, 1992?
7. How did the Filipovics find their apartment when a shell fell nearby?
8. Describe Filipovic's parents property in Crnotina.
9. Describe the violence in Sarajevo as described by Filipovic in March of 1992.
10. Describe Filipovic's Christmas in December of 1991.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The city of Otes was being bombarded by shells and was being destroyed. Otes suffered severe damage, and the Filipovics had several friends that lived in the city.
Part 1) Who lived in Otes? Were they able to escape the carnage?
Part 2) Describe the destruction to the city of Otes.
Part 3) How did the people that escaped adjust to being refugees in Sarajevo?
Essay Topic 2
Filipovic discussed several pets she had or shared with others during the war. Filipovic had a bird, cat, and dog at different times throughout the war.
Part 1) Describe the pets that Filipovic had during the war.
Part 2) Explain how pets were a comfort or therapeutic to Filipovic during stressful times during the war.
Part 3) How did Filipovic react to the death of her pets?
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic describes the war in her diary using capital letters to describe the feelings he had on May 13 and 27 and June 29 and December 28 of 1992.
Part 1) Why did Filipovic use capital letters in some of her journal entry?
Part 2) What words did she use to describe the events?
Part 3) Why do you believe Filipovic chose the words she used?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)