|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Silva Rizvanbegovic's occupation?
2. What great symbol in Sarajevo burned up despite firefighters' effort to save it?
3. What did Filipovich treat herself to on July 2, 1992?
4. Which side of the Filipovic's house was dangerous?
5. Who was going to publish Filipovich's diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Filipovic think about the kitten Cici?
2. Describe life in the cellar during the shelling and shooting in Sarajevo.
3. Why was Filipovic sad on November 25, 1992?
4. How did the Filipovics find their apartment when a shell fell nearby?
5. What was "war" according to Filipovic?
6. How did Filipovic describe her life on June 29, 1992?
7. Describe Filipovic's responsibilities during her mother's illness in February of 1992.
8. What were Filipovic's feelings on summer school in August of 1992?
9. How did FIlipovic and her father react when the marketplace was shelled and Filipovic's mother was nearby?
10. Describe Filipovic's Christmas in December of 1991.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zlata Filipovic lived a normal life previous to the war in Bosnia. Filipovic's life changed when the first bullets and shells were fired. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life and her life during the war.
Essay Topic 2
Journalists from around the world began visiting Filipovic on a consistent basis in July of 1993.
Part 1) What role did the journalists play in getting the story of the people of Sarajevo to the world? Did the journalists convince world leaders to get involved in the peacekeeping mission?
Part 2) Explain the role of ABC News. Why were they important to Filipovic and her story?
Part 3) Explain the role of Alexandra and other French journalists.
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic was re-reading letters that she received from friends that left Sarajevo. Filipovic wrote that she wanted her life back not just letters.
Part 1) How do each of the letters Filipovic received discuss the past?
Part 2) What effect do the letters have on Filipovic's morale? Explain.
Part 3) What do the letters reveal about Filipovic's relationship with each of those that sent letters?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)