|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Filipovich's father find in the attic?
2. How did Zlata's family find out Srdjan was alive?
3. Where did Filipovic's father search for wood?
4. What was the name of the street that had to shells explode in on May 27th, 1992?
5. What group did Zlata get moved up to in tennis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Filipovic's mother upset on May 13, 1992?
2. Why did Filipovich stop writing in her diary about the war and shooting?
3. Describe Nedo's goodbye according to Filipovic.
4. How did the Filipovics find their apartment when a shell fell nearby?
5. How did Filipovic describe her life on June 29, 1992?
6. Who was the war hardest on according to Auntie Ivanka?
7. Explain Filipovic's father's condition after cutting wood on January 8, 1993.
8. How did schools finish the year in May of 1992?
9. What groups of people were involved in the politics of Bosnia?
10. Explain Filipovic's feelings of sorrow and joy as she left Sarajevo.
Essay Topic 1
Several governmental and non governmental organizations deployed to Sarajevo and surrounding areas to assist in the humanitarian effort.
Part 1) Describe the role of UNICEF in Sarajevo.
Part 2) What was the role of UNPROFOR? How were their efforts often slowed down?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo, Filipovic wrote about the constant loss of electric and gas. She also discussed how the people coped.
Part 1) How did Filipovic suggest people coped with no gas or electricity over extended periods of time?
Part 2) Explain how the process of staying warm and getting ready for winter despite the lack of gas or electricity. What problems did people face because of the process to prepare?
Part 3) Describe how Filipovic continued to read, write, and learn despite interruptions in gas and electric service.
Essay Topic 3
Filipovic lived a typical childhood until the shells began to fall and the gunfire started. Compare Filipovic's pre-war life with her post-war life discussed in the entry dated December 1993.
This section contains 1,743 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)