|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to the worship of multiple deities?
2. In 1996 and 1997, the USS Yorktown was equipped with a network of how many dual 200 MHz Pentium Pro-based computers running Windows NT 4.0?
3. Copernicus developed what kind of model of the universe?
(a) A culture centric model.
(b) A lunar centric model.
(c) A geocentric model.
(d) A heliocentric model.
4. The author states in Chapter 3, “Nothing Ventured” that India adopted a Babylonian style number system around what century?
(a) 5th Century.
(b) 1st Century.
(c) 2nd Century.
(d) 6th Century.
5. What does the author refer to as “zero’s twin” in the book?
6. Approximately when did Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Khwarizmi live?
(a) 780-850 AD.
(b) 240-200 BC.
(c) 410-500 AD.
(d) 159-201 AD.
7. Who founded the House of Wisdom that was established in Abbasid-era Baghdad, Iraq?
(a) Hunayn ibn Ishaq.
(b) Caliph Harun al-Rashid.
(c) Muhammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī.
(d) Sahl ibn Harun.
8. The reason for the reform of the Gregorian calendar was to solidify what Christian holiday to a particular time of year?
9. Filippo Brunelleschi was born in approximately what year?
10. In September of 1997, a crewmember entered a zero into the database field on the computers of the USS Yorktown, leading to what type of error?
(a) An addition by zero error.
(b) A multiply by zero error.
(c) A divide by zero error.
(d) A subtraction by zero error.
11. The introduction of nothingness and zero into Jewish theology led in part to what offshoot Jewish mysticism?
12. What in graphical perspective refers to a point in the picture plane π that is determined by a line in space?
(a) A vanishing point.
(b) A black hole.
(c) A vector.
(d) A hyperbole.
13. Approximately when did Copernicus live?
14. What term refers to an argument that produces an inconsistency?
15. Zeno of Elea followed what Eleatic school founder in believing that the nature of the universe was changeless and immobile?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states in Chapter 3, “Nothing Ventured” that Indian mathematicians first learned of zero from the Babylonians by way of what?
2. The House of Wisdom was based in Baghdad during what centuries?
3. The USS Yorktown was used as the test-bed for what Navy program beginning in 1996?
4. How many minutes made up an hour in the ancient Greek system?
5. Aristotle referred to Zeno of Elea as the inventor of what?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)