|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What region in the Middle East is widely considered to be the cradle of civilization?
(a) The Mayan Region.
(b) The Fertile Crescent.
(c) The Twin Towers.
(d) The Nile Region.
2. What branch of mathematics are the ancient Egyptians credited with creating in order to successfully build objects to block the flooding of the Nile River each year?
(b) Quantum mechanics.
(c) Projective physics.
3. Who founded the House of Wisdom that was established in Abbasid-era Baghdad, Iraq?
(a) Caliph Harun al-Rashid.
(b) Sahl ibn Harun.
(c) Muhammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī.
(d) Hunayn ibn Ishaq.
4. The USS Yorktown was located off the coast of what location when the computer systems malfunctioned in September of 1997?
(a) Havana, Cuba.
(b) New York, New York.
(c) Cape Charles, Virginia.
(d) Del Norte, California.
5. Where does the author say early medieval Jews took up residence and discovered that Aristotle’s aversion to zero contradicted Jewish theology in Chapter 3, “Nothing Ventured”?
(a) Ancient Egypt.
(c) Muslim Spain.
(d) South America.
6. What name refers to sutra texts belonging to the Śrauta ritual and containing geometry related to fire-altar construction?
(a) The Kartikeya.
(b) Shavi Sutras.
(c) Shulba Sutras.
(d) Yogi Sutras.
7. When the Indians adopted a Babylonian style number system, its base was what, according to the author in Chapter 3, “Nothing Ventured”?
8. The Gregorian calendar replaced what calendar system in 1582?
(a) The Aristotelian Calendar.
(b) The Hipparchus’ Calendar.
(c) The Berber Calendar.
(d) The Julian Calendar.
9. What term refers to an argument that produces an inconsistency?
10. The House of Wisdom was based in Baghdad during what centuries?
(a) The 12th to 17th centuries.
(b) The 5th to 7th centuries.
(c) The 2nd to 6th centuries.
(d) The 9th to 13th centuries.
11. The ancient Babylonians had a number system based on what increment?
12. The ancient Babylonians are credited with the creation of what calculation tool?
(a) The abacus.
(b) The stick-stone.
(c) The computer.
(d) The calculator.
13. What term refers to the religious or philosophical concept that the soul is reborn after biological death?
14. Whom does the author claim the Greeks learned about astronomy from in Chapter 2, “Nothing Comes of Nothing”?
(a) The Egyptians.
(b) The Mayans.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Babylonians.
15. During what decade did Henry VIII reject the Papal authority?
(a) The 1490s.
(b) The 1620s.
(c) The 1530s.
(d) The 1550s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Pythagorean cult’s most sacred symbol because it contained the golden ratio?
2. When did the Protestant Reformation begin?
3. Where did the Renaissance begin?
4. Approximately when was Zeno of Elea born?
5. Aristotle referred to Zeno of Elea as the inventor of what?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)