|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ancient Babylonians had a number system based on what increment?
2. The author states in Chapter 2, “Nothing Comes of Nothing” that the concepts of infinity and the void frightened the ancient Greeks. They feared the infinite because it threatened the possibility of what?
(d) The Devil.
3. The House of Wisdom was based in Baghdad during what centuries?
(a) The 12th to 17th centuries.
(b) The 2nd to 6th centuries.
(c) The 9th to 13th centuries.
(d) The 5th to 7th centuries.
4. What refers to the branch of mathematics concerned with finding tangent lines to curves, areas under curves, minima and maxima, and other geometric and analytic problems?
(b) Infinitesimal calculus.
(d) Quantum mechanics.
5. In 1996 and 1997, the USS Yorktown was equipped with a network of how many dual 200 MHz Pentium Pro-based computers running Windows NT 4.0?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who founded the House of Wisdom that was established in Abbasid-era Baghdad, Iraq?
2. The preclassic Maya and their neighbors supposedly developed the concept of zero by what year?
3. Approximately when did Johannes Kepler live?
4. According to the author in Chapter 2, “Nothing Comes of Nothing,” the ratio of zero to any number is what?
5. Where was Giordano Bruno from?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)