|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All institutions of the System are based on
2. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
3. The Narrator becomes scared and decides NOT to
4. What Phaedrus has talked about as Quality, Socrates describes as
5. When Quality is subtracted from the world as Phaedrus knew it, he discovered that the fine arts disappeared. What else disappeared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can technology best be pursued and used to enrich human life rather than degrading humans? Give examples. How can technology be art? Can you think of some examples?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the book, the Narrator does not seem to understand or connect with Chris on any level. He finds Chris' questions irritating and his behavior frustrating and often refuses to try to communicate. Trace the Narrator's relationship with Chris through the book. Give examples of his attitude at various points. At what point in the book do we see that he is becoming more open to Chris? What does he think or say to make us feel that he wants to reach out to Chris?
Essay Topic 3
The Narrator says it is good to be in a state of "stuckness." What is "stuckness" and why is a good? What does it allow one's mind to do? Give an example of the Narrator being stuck and then using it to do or say something better than he would have if he had kept going in the original direction.
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)