|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a description of a world without Quality?
2. What Phaedrus has talked about as Quality, Socrates describes as
3. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
4. Why does Chris think Chicago was better?
5. The second phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of Quality included all EXCEPT
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the book, the Narrator does not seem to understand or connect with Chris on any level. He finds Chris' questions irritating and his behavior frustrating and often refuses to try to communicate. Trace the Narrator's relationship with Chris through the book. Give examples of his attitude at various points. At what point in the book do we see that he is becoming more open to Chris? What does he think or say to make us feel that he wants to reach out to Chris?
Essay Topic 2
How can technology best be pursued and used to enrich human life rather than degrading humans? Give examples. How can technology be art? Can you think of some examples?
Essay Topic 3
If you have read either 1984 or Brave New World, explain how that book fits with what the Narrator is saying about a world without Quality, a world of "squareness."
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)