|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zeitoun worry about getting special attention from military men?
2. What is sprayed all over one of the prisoners?
3. What keeps Ahmad semi-calm while Zeitoun is missing?
4. What is found in Nasser's bag when he is being processed?
5. Where is the Darkening Found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Kathy decide to put her kids in a school in Phoenix?
2. After Zeitoun has been missing for more than a week, what does his family hope for?
3. What were some of the people incarcerated with Zeitoun arrested for?
4. What kind of medical symptoms does Zeitoun experience before he gets help?
5. What keeps Kathy from going home like she wanted to?
6. Why hasn't Kathy been able to hear from Zeitoun for two weeks?
7. What gives Kathy comfort while her husband is missing?
8. What good news comes to Kathy after she learns her husband has been arrested?
9. Why don't Zeitoun and Nasser talk much while in their cell?
10. Why is Ahmad so upset when he learns that Zeitoun is in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in "Zeitoun"?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)