|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yuko look for information about Zeitoun?
2. Why do certain foreign mercenaries make Kathy nervous?
3. How many soldiers are present when Zeitoun is strip searched?
4. What country does a news segment about the prisoners?
5. What does Jerry do when he is arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kathy cheer up her daughters when they realize their entire house is under water?
2. Who is Raleigh, and what problem does he have in helping Zeitoun?
3. What gives Kathy comfort while her husband is missing?
4. How does Kathy try to get a hold of Zeitoun when he goes missing?
5. How does Zeitoun get a message out of prison and to his wife?
6. After Zeitoun has been missing for more than a week, what does his family hope for?
7. What does Kathy do when she is not told where her husband's trial will be held?
8. What kind of medical symptoms does Zeitoun experience before he gets help?
9. What happens just after Kathy and her daughter say a prayer in the living?
10. What were some of the people incarcerated with Zeitoun arrested for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does knowing that Hurricane Katrina was a real historical event change the way you view this book and the events in it?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal was a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)