|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kathy learn of the death toll in New Orleans?
2. Why does Kathy call the Clairborne house?
3. What brings on a lot of scorn to Zeitoun from the guards?
4. How many women break into Zeitoun's house?
5. How long did Kathy's kids miss school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zeitoun get a message out of prison and to his wife?
2. After Zeitoun has been missing for more than a week, what does his family hope for?
3. What were some of the people incarcerated with Zeitoun arrested for?
4. What does Zeitoun feel guilty about while he is awaiting medical treatment?
5. What kind of medical symptoms does Zeitoun experience before he gets help?
6. What makes Kathy decide to put her kids in a school in Phoenix?
7. What gives Kathy comfort while her husband is missing?
8. What causes the mayor to delay the reopening of the city?
9. How does Kathy see the damage to her house, and how does she respond?
10. What does Kathy do when she is not told where her husband's trial will be held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)