|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Zeitoun's children sad during the flood?
2. What are the men breaking into Zeitoun's house dressed in?
3. What reminds Zeitoun of Abu Ghraib?
4. What does Kathy do when her kids are in school the first day?
5. Why can't Zeitoun call Kathy at Yuko's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Zeitoun and Nasser talk much while in their cell?
2. What gives Kathy comfort while her husband is missing?
3. How does Kathy see the damage to her house, and how does she respond?
4. What keeps Kathy from going home like she wanted to?
5. What is Zeitoun mocked about when a second set of pictures is taken?
6. How does Kathy try to get a hold of Zeitoun when he goes missing?
7. What happens just after Kathy and her daughter say a prayer in the living?
8. What kind of medical symptoms does Zeitoun experience before he gets help?
9. What causes the mayor to delay the reopening of the city?
10. Who is Raleigh, and what problem does he have in helping Zeitoun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal was a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout "Zeitoun"?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)