|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeitoun treat his infection while he is arrested?
2. Why does Kathy enroll her kids in school in Phoenix?
3. Who is paying for Zeitoun's incarceration?
4. What does Zeitoun say the men breaking into house do not look like?
5. What is becoming infected on Zeitoun while he is arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Zeitoun and Nasser talk much while in their cell?
2. What does Zeitoun feel guilty about while he is awaiting medical treatment?
3. How does Kathy see how much Aisha is suffering with her missing father?
4. What happens just after Kathy and her daughter say a prayer in the living?
5. What gives Kathy comfort while her husband is missing?
6. How does Kathy see the damage to her house, and how does she respond?
7. After Zeitoun has been missing for more than a week, what does his family hope for?
8. Why hasn't Kathy been able to hear from Zeitoun for two weeks?
9. What deal are the men in the cell with Zeitoun offered?
10. How does Kathy cheer up her daughters when they realize their entire house is under water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
"Zeitoun" takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Eggers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)