|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kathy learn of the death toll in New Orleans?
2. How does Kathy think her husband might have been injured?
3. What kind of bus is Zeitoun put on when he is taken to the Hunt Correctional Center?
4. Where is the Darkening Found?
5. Where does Kathy hear about unidentified bodies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathy do when she is not told where her husband's trial will be held?
2. Why is Ahmad so upset when he learns that Zeitoun is in prison?
3. What deal are the men in the cell with Zeitoun offered?
4. What good news comes to Kathy after she learns her husband has been arrested?
5. What is Zeitoun mocked about when a second set of pictures is taken?
6. What does Kathy have to do to fulfill the bail requirements for her husband?
7. After Zeitoun has been missing for more than a week, what does his family hope for?
8. How does Kathy cheer up her daughters when they realize their entire house is under water?
9. Why don't Zeitoun and Nasser talk much while in their cell?
10. Why hasn't Kathy been able to hear from Zeitoun for two weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does knowing that Hurricane Katrina was a real historical event change the way you view this book and the events in it?
Essay Topic 2
How is Kathy supported during her trials in this book, and why is this a bit surprising?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)