|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men break into Zeitoun's house?
2. Why does Zeitoun worry about getting special attention from military men?
3. What kind of vehicle is Zeitoun and his friends put in after being arrested?
4. Where does Ahmad want to fly to offer help?
5. How long did Kathy's kids miss school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeitoun feel guilty about while he is awaiting medical treatment?
2. How does Kathy hear where her husband has been?
3. How does Kathy try to get a hold of Zeitoun when he goes missing?
4. What keeps Kathy from going home like she wanted to?
5. What good news comes to Kathy after she learns her husband has been arrested?
6. Why is Ahmad so upset when he learns that Zeitoun is in prison?
7. What happens just after Kathy and her daughter say a prayer in the living?
8. What gives Kathy comfort while her husband is missing?
9. Why don't Zeitoun and Nasser talk much while in their cell?
10. What were some of the people incarcerated with Zeitoun arrested for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Kathy supported during her trials in this book, and why is this a bit surprising?
Essay Topic 2
"Zeitoun" takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Eggers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)