|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Zeitoun call Kathy at Yuko's house?
2. What are the men breaking into Zeitoun's house dressed in?
3. What helps Kathy to stay calm as long as she does?
4. What does the Red Cross have to identify Zeitoun by if he shows up?
5. What shocks Kathy about the image she sees of her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good news comes to Kathy after she learns her husband has been arrested?
2. What makes Kathy decide to put her kids in a school in Phoenix?
3. How does Kathy see how much Aisha is suffering with her missing father?
4. How does Kathy see the damage to her house, and how does she respond?
5. Who is Raleigh, and what problem does he have in helping Zeitoun?
6. What were some of the people incarcerated with Zeitoun arrested for?
7. What gives Kathy comfort while her husband is missing?
8. What happens just after Kathy and her daughter say a prayer in the living?
9. What causes the mayor to delay the reopening of the city?
10. How does Zeitoun get a message out of prison and to his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal was a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)