|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps Ahmad from flying out to help?
2. What does Todd say he was using the item that was taken from him for?
3. Where does Nasser say he got what is found in his bag during processing?
4. What brings on a lot of scorn to Zeitoun from the guards?
5. Why does Zeitoun think he is being arrested at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Zeitoun has been missing for more than a week, what does his family hope for?
2. What does Zeitoun feel guilty about while he is awaiting medical treatment?
3. Why is Ahmad so upset when he learns that Zeitoun is in prison?
4. How does Kathy see the damage to her house, and how does she respond?
5. How does Kathy see how much Aisha is suffering with her missing father?
6. How does Zeitoun get a message out of prison and to his wife?
7. How does Kathy cheer up her daughters when they realize their entire house is under water?
8. Why hasn't Kathy been able to hear from Zeitoun for two weeks?
9. What happens just after Kathy and her daughter say a prayer in the living?
10. How does Kathy hear where her husband has been?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does knowing that Hurricane Katrina was a real historical event change the way you view this book and the events in it?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed were two common themes in this plot. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)