|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeitoun get around the neighborhood during the flood?
2. How old is Zachary at the beginning of the book?
3. Why is Zeitoun getting more work than normal at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Katrina?
5. What does Zeitoun weep for while getting around the neighborhood during the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
2. What do Zeitoun's daughters do the night before the storm?
3. What does Zeitoun remember about his oldest brother?
4. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
5. Where does Zeitoun get some MREs, and what does he do with them?
6. What is a hijab?
7. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
8. What does Zeitoun plan to do after his family evacuates?
9. What does Zeitoun do when he hears about a bloated body?
10. What makes Zeitoun feel nervous the night after the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Discrimination was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of discrimination present itself, and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How does knowing that Hurricane Katrina was a real historical event change the way you view this book and the events in it?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)