|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zeitoun use for fishing as a child?
2. What is the name of Zeitoun's wife?
3. When does Zeitoun think about his family in the homeland?
4. How old is Zachary at the beginning of the book?
5. What is Katrina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes it hard for Zeitoun to sleep at night after the second day of the flood?
2. What is the contraflow?
3. What warning does Ahmed give Zeitoun about Katrina?
4. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
5. What surprises Zeitoun when he gets to the Tulane campus?
6. What drove Kathy away from Christianity?
7. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
8. What favor does Todd do for Zeitoun?
9. What is a hijab?
10. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Zeitoun's relationship with Kathy change over the course of the plot? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)