|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeitoun keep in touch with Kathy during the flood?
2. How many years have passed since Zeitoun's fishing days?
3. How many children does Zeitoun have?
4. What does Zeitoun weep for while getting around the neighborhood during the flood?
5. What interrupts Zeitoun's morning prayers during the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
2. What do Zeitoun's daughters do the night before the storm?
3. Where does Zeitoun get some MREs, and what does he do with them?
4. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
5. Why does Zeitoun tell Kathy he can't leave New Orleans at the beginning of the flood?
6. How did Zeitoun meet his wife?
7. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
8. What does Zeitoun remember about his oldest brother?
9. What does Zeitoun do when he hears about a bloated body?
10. What is a hijab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
How do Zeitoun and his family respond to the traumatic trials they endure in this book?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)