|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zeitoun go by his last name?
2. What is Zeitoun's occupation?
3. What does Zeitoun weep for while getting around the neighborhood during the flood?
4. What is the elderly couple in the neighborhood doing to get attention?
5. When does Zeitoun think about his family in the homeland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a hijab?
2. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
3. What does Zeitoun do when he hears about a bloated body?
4. What makes Zeitoun feel nervous the night after the storm?
5. Why does Zeitoun tell Kathy he can't leave New Orleans at the beginning of the flood?
6. What makes it hard for Zeitoun to sleep at night after the second day of the flood?
7. What warning does Ahmed give Zeitoun about Katrina?
8. What is the contraflow?
9. Where does Zeitoun get some MREs, and what does he do with them?
10. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
"Zeitoun" takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Eggers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)