|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Zachary at the beginning of the book?
2. Why does Zeitoun go by his last name?
3. What time of day would Zeitoun fish when he was a child?
4. What is Frank desperate for when Zeitoun sees him?
5. How much older than his wife is Zeitoun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
2. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
3. What problems did Zeiton have in prison, and what caused them?
4. What causes the problems that Kathy has after the flood?
5. Why hasn't Kathy been able to hear from Zeitoun for two weeks?
6. What does Kathy have to do to fulfill the bail requirements for her husband?
7. How does Kathy cheer up her daughters when they realize their entire house is under water?
8. What happens just after Kathy and her daughter say a prayer in the living?
9. What does Alvin ask Zeitoun to do for him?
10. Why don't Zeitoun and Nasser talk much while in their cell?
Essay Topic 1
How does Zeitoun's religion affect his life for both good and bad throughout the plot of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal was a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)