|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Zeitoun's wife when he met her?
2. What items from childhood does Zeitoun save from the flood?
3. What does Zeitoun weep for while getting around the neighborhood during the flood?
4. What does Kathy want saved from the flood?
5. Where was Ahmad from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
2. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
3. What drove Kathy away from Christianity?
4. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
5. What does Zeitoun remember about his oldest brother?
6. What does Zeitoun do when he hears about a bloated body?
7. Where does Zeitoun get some MREs, and what does he do with them?
8. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
9. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
10. What surprises Zeitoun when he gets to the Tulane campus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
How is Kathy supported during her trials in this book, and why is this a bit surprising?
Essay Topic 3
Discrimination was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of discrimination present itself, and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)