|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kathy's mother think she wears the hijab?
2. How do Zeitoun and Frank know each other?
3. Who teases Zeitoun about forgetting his daughter?
4. Where does the extra water in the yard come from after the storm?
5. What does Zeitoun weep for while getting around the neighborhood during the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
2. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
3. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
4. What surprises Zeitoun when he gets to the Tulane campus?
5. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
6. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
7. What do Zeitoun's daughters do the night before the storm?
8. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
9. Why does Zeitoun tell Kathy he can't leave New Orleans at the beginning of the flood?
10. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Zeitoun's religion affect his life for both good and bad throughout the plot of this book?
Essay Topic 2
"Zeitoun" takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Eggers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
How does knowing that Hurricane Katrina was a real historical event change the way you view this book and the events in it?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)