|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zeitoun seek out the second day of the flood?
2. Who did Zeitoun fish with as a child?
3. Who did Zeitoun give all his fishing money to?
4. What is the elderly couple in the neighborhood doing to get attention?
5. How does Zeitoun figure out there the extra water is coming from after the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeitoun do when he hears about a bloated body?
2. What does Alvin ask Zeitoun to do for him?
3. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
4. What do Zeitoun's daughters do the night before the storm?
5. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
6. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
7. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
8. What makes Zeitoun feel nervous the night after the storm?
9. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
10. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zeitoun is incredibly stubborn. What are some of the good and bad things that come to Zeitoun and his family through this stubborn nature?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)