|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yuko live?
2. What does Zeitoun weep for while getting around the neighborhood during the flood?
3. How does Zeitoun save special items from the flood?
4. How old is Zachary at the beginning of the book?
5. How many years have passed since Zeitoun's fishing days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvin ask Zeitoun to do for him?
2. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
3. What favor does Todd do for Zeitoun?
4. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
5. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
6. What makes it hard for Zeitoun to sleep at night after the second day of the flood?
7. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
8. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
9. What do Zeitoun's daughters do the night before the storm?
10. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed were two common themes in this plot. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in "Zeitoun"?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)