|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bait does Zeitoun use when fishing as a child?
2. How much older than his wife is Zeitoun?
3. What does the strange sound that wakes Zeitoun up remind him of?
4. Why can't Zeitoun personally help the single woman he finds?
5. What kind of boat helps the single woman found by Zeitoun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Zeitoun and Nasser talk much while in their cell?
2. How does Kathy see the damage to her house, and how does she respond?
3. What keeps Kathy from going home like she wanted to?
4. What makes Zeitoun feel nervous the night after the storm?
5. What is the contraflow?
6. What does FEMA do for Zeitoun after the flood?
7. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
8. How does Kathy see how much Aisha is suffering with her missing father?
9. What is Zeitoun's first impression after visiting his home after being released from prison?
10. What happens just after Kathy and her daughter say a prayer in the living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Zeitoun" takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Eggers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal was a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed were two common themes in this plot. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)