|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older than his wife is Zeitoun?
2. What is Zeitoun's brother's name?
3. Where does the extra water in the yard come from after the storm?
4. When does Zeitoun's wife hear the warnings about Katrina?
5. When did Zeitoun forget about his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Zeitoun when he gets to the Tulane campus?
2. What favor does Todd do for Zeitoun?
3. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
4. What does Zeitoun remember about his oldest brother?
5. What is the contraflow?
6. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
7. Why does Zeitoun tell Kathy he can't leave New Orleans at the beginning of the flood?
8. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
9. What do Zeitoun's daughters do the night before the storm?
10. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does knowing that Hurricane Katrina was a real historical event change the way you view this book and the events in it?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)