|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zeitoun getting more work than normal at the beginning of the book?
2. What kind of fish did Zeitoun fish for as a child?
3. What does Zeitoun weep for while getting around the neighborhood during the flood?
4. What kind of boat helps the single woman found by Zeitoun?
5. Why can't Zeitoun personally help the single woman he finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeitoun plan to do after his family evacuates?
2. What do Zeitoun's daughters do the night before the storm?
3. What makes Zeitoun feel nervous the night after the storm?
4. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
5. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
6. What does Zeitoun do when he hears about a bloated body?
7. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
8. What drove Kathy away from Christianity?
9. How did Zeitoun meet his wife?
10. What is the contraflow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Zeitoun and his family respond to the traumatic trials they endure in this book?
Essay Topic 2
"Zeitoun" takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Eggers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Discrimination was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of discrimination present itself, and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)