|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Zeitoun's oldest brother?
2. Who did Zeitoun give all his fishing money to?
3. How long does Zeitoun say recovery will take when he sees the flood?
4. How far from the coast would Zeitoun go to fish as a child?
5. Why can't Zeitoun personally help the single woman he finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
2. How did Zeitoun meet his wife?
3. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
4. What makes Zeitoun feel nervous the night after the storm?
5. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
6. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
7. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
8. What does Zeitoun remember about his oldest brother?
9. What makes it hard for Zeitoun to sleep at night after the second day of the flood?
10. Why does Zeitoun tell Kathy he can't leave New Orleans at the beginning of the flood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Zeitoun's religion affect his life for both good and bad throughout the plot of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Zeitoun is incredibly stubborn. What are some of the good and bad things that come to Zeitoun and his family through this stubborn nature?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)