|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Zeitoun enthusiastic during the flood?
2. Where would Zeitoun sell the fish he caught as a child?
3. How many tenants does Zeitoun have?
4. Where was Ahmad from?
5. How much older than his wife is Zeitoun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvin ask Zeitoun to do for him?
2. What makes it hard for Zeitoun to sleep at night after the second day of the flood?
3. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
4. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
5. What does Zeitoun plan to do after his family evacuates?
6. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
7. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
8. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
9. What drove Kathy away from Christianity?
10. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Zeitoun endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)