|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Zeitoun and Frank know each other?
2. Why does Zeitoun refuse to leave during the flood?
3. What did Zeitoun use for fishing as a child?
4. Where does Zeitoun sleep when his bed won't do during the storm?
5. What is the name of Zeitoun's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zeitoun spread food and water without using up his own supply?
2. What does Alvin ask Zeitoun to do for him?
3. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
4. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
5. What is the contraflow?
6. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
7. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
8. Why does Zeitoun tell Kathy he can't leave New Orleans at the beginning of the flood?
9. What favor does Todd do for Zeitoun?
10. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
How is Kathy supported during her trials in this book, and why is this a bit surprising?
Essay Topic 3
How did Zeitoun's relationship with Kathy change over the course of the plot? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)