|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Zeitoun give all his fishing money to?
2. Why does Kathy decide to visit Yuko?
3. How old is Zachary at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Zeitoun refuse to do during the flood?
5. Who teases Zeitoun about forgetting his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
2. What does Zeitoun remember about his oldest brother?
3. What does Zeitoun plan to do after his family evacuates?
4. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
5. Why does Zeitoun not check out his office when he originally plans?
6. What favor does Todd do for Zeitoun?
7. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
8. What makes Zeitoun feel nervous the night after the storm?
9. What surprises Zeitoun when he gets to the Tulane campus?
10. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How did Zeitoun's relationship with Kathy change over the course of the plot? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)