|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zeitoun getting more work than normal at the beginning of the book?
2. Why does Kathy decide to visit Yuko?
3. What does Kathy tease Zeitoun about when she hears about the flood?
4. How old is Zachary at the beginning of the book?
5. What city was Zeitoun born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What drove Kathy away from Christianity?
2. What does Alvin ask Zeitoun to do for him?
3. What is the contraflow?
4. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
5. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
6. What favor does Todd do for Zeitoun?
7. How did Zeitoun meet his wife?
8. What does Zeitoun plan to do after his family evacuates?
9. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
10. How does Zeitoun prepare for the predicted flooding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed were two common themes in this plot. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
How do Zeitoun and his family respond to the traumatic trials they endure in this book?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)