|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the elderly couple in the neighborhood doing to get attention?
(a) Playing loud music.
(b) Shooting up flares.
(d) Waving a white sheet.
2. Where does the extra water in the yard come from after the storm?
(a) The rain.
(b) The sea.
(c) The gutters.
(d) The lake.
3. How long was Zeitoun's brother a sea captain?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 20 years.
4. Why is Zeitoun getting more work than normal at the beginning of the book?
(a) His just graduated.
(b) The holiday season is coming.
(c) A hurricane is coming.
(d) He has more time.
5. How does Zeitoun figure out there the extra water is coming from after the storm?
(a) He sees that it have reeds in it.
(b) He watches the heavy rain fall.
(c) He sees it flowing from the north.
(d) He sees that it is not salt water.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much water is in the house after the first day of flooding?
2. How old is Zachary at the beginning of the book?
3. Why does Kathy's mother think she wears the hijab?
4. Why does Zeitoun refuse to leave during the flood?
5. Where would Zeitoun sell the fish he caught as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a hijab?
2. What image from the wreckage of the flood is the hardest on Zeitoun?
3. Where does Zeitoun get some MREs, and what does he do with them?
4. What is Kathy dreading about the evacuation?
5. Why did the mayor tell citizens to be armed with an axe if they did not evacuate?
6. What does Zeitoun remember about his oldest brother?
7. What makes it hard for Zeitoun to sleep at night after the second day of the flood?
8. What does Alvin ask Zeitoun to do for him?
9. How did Zeitoun's relationship with his wife progress when they first met?
10. How did Zeitoun begin his sea-faring career?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)