|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Frank desperate for when Zeitoun sees him?
(a) Pain medication.
2. How does Zeitoun save special items from the flood?
(a) He carries them to the second floor.
(b) He loads them in the canoe.
(c) He moves them to the basement.
(d) He puts them in a time capsule.
3. What items from childhood does Zeitoun save from the flood?
4. What does Kathy tease Zeitoun about when she hears about the flood?
(a) He can't swim.
(b) He didn't renew the flood insurance.
(c) He told her to come home.
(d) He gets to play at the lake.
5. What does the strange sound that wakes Zeitoun up remind him of?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A river.
(d) A drum beat.
6. What is the elderly couple in the neighborhood doing to get attention?
(a) Shooting up flares.
(c) Playing loud music.
(d) Waving a white sheet.
7. What kind of fish did Zeitoun fish for as a child?
8. What is Zeitoun's oldest brother famously good at?
9. Where would Zeitoun sell the fish he caught as a child?
(a) The market.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The old pier.
(d) A warehouse.
10. What interrupts Zeitoun's morning prayers during the flood?
(a) Barking dogs.
(b) A phone call.
(c) Rushing water.
(d) A helicopter.
11. Why does Zeitoun go by his last name?
(a) His buddies always called him that.
(b) His first is hard to pronounce.
(c) He shares his father's name.
(d) His name changed when he migrated.
12. Why does Zeitoun refuse to leave during the flood?
(a) He feels he has a purpose there.
(b) It would cost too much money.
(c) It would take too much time.
(d) He wants to protect his home.
13. When does Zeitoun think about his family in the homeland?
(a) When he gets letters.
(b) When he eats dinner.
(c) When he drives to work.
(d) When he goes to church.
14. When did Zeitoun forget about his daughter?
(a) When taking her to school.
(b) When moving to a new house.
(c) When bringing her home from the hospital.
(d) When coming home from work.
15. What is Zeitoun waiting for at the beginning of the book?
(a) For his wife to cough.
(b) For the electricity to come back on.
(c) For the alarm clock to ring.
(d) For his children to wake up.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far from the coast would Zeitoun go to fish as a child?
2. How does Zeitoun keep in touch with Kathy during the flood?
3. Why can't Zeitoun personally help the single woman he finds?
4. Why does Kathy's mother think she wears the hijab?
5. How do Zeitoun and Frank know each other?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)