|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zeitoun save special items from the flood?
(a) He carries them to the second floor.
(b) He moves them to the basement.
(c) He loads them in the canoe.
(d) He puts them in a time capsule.
2. What does Zeitoun's wife think about the news reports about Katrina?
(a) They are exaggerated.
(b) They are completely false.
(c) They are right on.
(d) They are upsetting.
3. How does Zeitoun get around the neighborhood during the flood?
(a) He uses the canoe.
(b) He makes a raft.
(c) He floats in a sled.
(d) He swims.
4. What makes the area so uncomfortable during the flood?
(a) The silence.
(b) The humidity.
(c) The sirens.
(d) The animal howls.
5. What is Zeitoun's occupation?
(c) Substitute teacher.
6. Why does Kathy's mother think she wears the hijab?
(a) To bother her family.
(b) For her children.
(c) To make people uncomfortable.
(d) For her husband.
7. Who does Zeitoun seek out the second day of the flood?
(b) Military men.
(c) His properties.
(d) Elderly people.
8. Why can't Zeitoun personally help the single woman he finds?
(a) She is afraid of swimming.
(b) He is too tired.
(c) The canoe is sinking.
(d) She is too big.
9. Why does Zeitoun refuse to leave during the flood?
(a) He feels he has a purpose there.
(b) He wants to protect his home.
(c) It would take too much time.
(d) It would cost too much money.
10. How many tenants does Zeitoun have?
11. What city was Zeitoun born in?
12. Where does Zeitoun's brother live?
13. What is Zeitoun's oldest brother famously good at?
14. What does the strange sound that wakes Zeitoun up remind him of?
(a) A drum beat.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A river.
15. How long does Zeitoun say recovery will take when he sees the flood?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frank desperate for when Zeitoun sees him?
2. What does the yard look like after Zeitoun is awoken by a strange sound?
3. What religion does Zeitoun's wife follow?
4. How far from the coast would Zeitoun go to fish as a child?
5. Why can't Zeitoun sleep in his bed during the flood?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)