|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the yard look like after Zeitoun is awoken by a strange sound?
(a) A wasteland.
(b) A sea.
(c) A dump.
(d) A swamp.
2. When does Zeitoun think about his family in the homeland?
(a) When he gets letters.
(b) When he goes to church.
(c) When he drives to work.
(d) When he eats dinner.
3. Why does Kathy decide to visit Yuko?
(a) To keep her children safe.
(b) To avoid her family.
(c) To get some work done.
(d) To be closer to Zeitoun.
4. How many tenants does Zeitoun have?
5. Where does Zeitoun sleep when his bed won't do during the storm?
(a) The roof.
(b) A hotel.
(c) The couch.
(d) The bathtub.
6. How many years have passed since Zeitoun's fishing days?
7. How old is Zachary at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Zeitoun use for light at night during the flood?
(a) His cell phone.
(b) Gas lamps.
(c) A flashlight.
9. Why is Zeitoun getting more work than normal at the beginning of the book?
(a) His just graduated.
(b) The holiday season is coming.
(c) A hurricane is coming.
(d) He has more time.
10. What religion does Zeitoun's wife follow?
11. How does Zeitoun figure out there the extra water is coming from after the storm?
(a) He sees that it is not salt water.
(b) He watches the heavy rain fall.
(c) He sees that it have reeds in it.
(d) He sees it flowing from the north.
12. When did Zeitoun forget about his daughter?
(a) When taking her to school.
(b) When bringing her home from the hospital.
(c) When moving to a new house.
(d) When coming home from work.
13. What makes Zeitoun enthusiastic during the flood?
(a) He saves people.
(b) He makes money.
(c) He talks to his wife.
(d) He repairs some damage.
14. What makes the area so uncomfortable during the flood?
(a) The humidity.
(b) The silence.
(c) The sirens.
(d) The animal howls.
15. What does Zeitoun say the dogs in the neighborhood sound like during the flood?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeitoun's wife think about the news reports about Katrina?
2. How does Zeitoun get around the neighborhood during the flood?
3. Where would Zeitoun sell the fish he caught as a child?
4. What items from childhood does Zeitoun save from the flood?
5. What kind of fish did Zeitoun fish for as a child?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)