|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Audre begin attending meetings at in Chapter 16?
2. How does Audre feel after hearing Muriel and her old friend making love one night?
3. What ailment does Eudora suffer from?
4. Complete the following sentence in the book, "To be black, female, gay, and out of the closet in a white environment was considered by many black lesbians to be simply ________."
5. What happens to Audre's father that requires her to come home from Stamford?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Audre's first lesbian relationship with Gennie to her most serious lesbian relationship with Muriel. What can we learn about the evolution of Audre's sexuality based on the comparison of her relationship with these two women?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of women in the book. What lessons of empowerment is the author offering to women in this book? What does she hope for others to learn from this book regarding the diverse nature of women?
Essay Topic 3
The subject of race is one seen on many different levels throughout the author's life.
1) How is Audre's view of race first discovered and what impact does her experiences with segregation as a child appear to have on her views of race later in life?
2) How is race categorized differently in Harlem as opposed to other parts of the U.S. and what traits are present there to make it so unique?
3) What role does Audre's race play in defining her own character and her actions in life?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)