|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre say her flirtations must be as a part of the New York lesbian scene?
2. How does Audre feel after first moving to Stamford?
3. Where does Audre begin making plans to go to that she knows Eudora won't follow her to?
4. How old is Audre when she has her first lesbian sexual experience?
5. How does Audre describe her state of mind after her first lesbian sexual experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the city of Cuernavaca described in the book when Audre moves there?
2. What happens to Muriel to cause her split with Audre in the book?
3. How is Audre's relationship with Muriel first described in the book?
4. How is Audre's work as an X-ray technician described in the book?
5. What is the nature of the piece of writing of Muriel's that Audre finds in Chapter 28?
6. What causes Audre to drop out of college?
7. How is Muriel's affair with Toni described in the book?
8. How does Audre's friend Lynn cause problems between her and Muriel when she moves in with them?
9. How does Audre describe her treatment in society as a black woman in comparison with her white lesbian friends?
10. How is Audre's relationship with Eudora first described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of heritage is something brought up in several capacities throughout the book.
1) How is the Grenadian heritage, namely the Carriacou culture examined in the book and what impact does it have on the author?
2) What lessons does Audre learn about the importance of heritage from her relationship with Eudora while in Mexico?
3) How does Audre reflect upon her own heritage in the book and how does she define it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of community in the book. What importance does the author place on being a part of a community, namely one where there is a sense of belonging, based on the portrayals of The Branded and the Sistah Outsiders?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's time spent with "The Branded" versus the "Sistah Outsiders". Which group allowed Audre to grow more as a person? What impact did Audre's being a part of these groups have on her actions in the book?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)