|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Audre first go once moving to Stamford?
2. Audre say that white feminists began taking credit for work she started. After how many years does this happen?
3. What subjects does Audre fail in college?
4. What is the name of Audre's only black friend out of her lesbian group in New York?
5. Where does Audre find a job as an x-ray machine operator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mother-daughter relationship is something that helps carry the story from beginning to end and has perhaps the biggest impact on the author's life.
1) What can we learn about the impact Audre's relationship with her mother had based on her portrayal of her childhood experiences with her mother?
2) What circumstances led to Audre's estrangement from her mother as she grew older? What might the author wish for this progression to represent in terms of character development?
3) What deductions can be made about the author's final opinions of the mother-daughter relationship based on her belief that her desires to be with women came from her mother's blood?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Audre's feminist efforts with those made by white feminists years later. What reasons does Audre have for criticizing these women who seem to be fighting for the same things she was?
Essay Topic 3
The author makes an interesting choice in the book by highlighting many true historical events throughout the text and offers her own opinions and reactions to them.
1) Why does the author often combine her own personal experiences alongside historical events such as Pearl Harbor?
2) What can we learn about the importance that political freedom has for the author based on her portrayal of McCarthyism in the book?
3) What can we learn about Audre's political and social beliefs based on her support of the Rosenbergs while they are on trial, especially given the ways she is able to identify with them?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)