|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college was Eudora the first woman to attend?
2. Whom does Audre describe as being a beautiful writer?
3. What is the name of Audre's old college friend whom she mourns the Rosenbergs with?
4. What kind of business does Eudora own?
5. What type of laws does Audre mention as being the reason she could find work in Stamford?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Audre's work as an X-ray technician described in the book?
2. How is Audre's involvement in the Committee to Free the Rosenbergs described?
3. How are the "closed-shop" laws described in the book?
4. How is the Interlude: The Last of My Childhood Nightmares described in the book?
5. How is Audre's relationship with Bea described in the book?
6. What happens to Muriel to cause her split with Audre in the book?
7. How does Audre react to her new scenery after moving to Mexico?
8. What political advancements lead to Audre moving back to the U.S. from Mexico?
9. How is Muriel's affair with Toni described in the book?
10. Why does Audre express frustration regarding white feminists in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of change that is presented in the book through the portrayal of various historical, political, and social situations. How does the author document the literal changes she found in these areas in the United States alongside the figurative changes in her own life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Audre's first lesbian relationship with Gennie to her most serious lesbian relationship with Muriel. What can we learn about the evolution of Audre's sexuality based on the comparison of her relationship with these two women?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of lesbianism is an important one in the book and helps define the protagonist more clearly.
1) What impact does Audre's poetry writing have on her ability to be open about her lesbianism for the first time, especially considering her relations with The Branded at the time?
2) What is telling of the evolution of Audre's lesbianism based on her relationships with Gennie and Muriel?
3) What role does Audre play in the New York lesbian scene and what does this community mean to her?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)