|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions is not given of Audre's work performance in Chapter 19?
2. What year are the Rosenbergs killed?
3. What does Audre say she felt for the first time in her life after moving to Mexico?
4. What is the name of the city Audre lives in while in Mexico?
5. Where does Audre begin attending meetings at in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Audre's near-rape described in Chapter 23?
2. How is the New York lesbian scene described in Chapter 29?
3. How is Audre's involvement in the Committee to Free the Rosenbergs described?
4. How is Audre's first time making love with Ginger described in the book?
5. Why does Audre express frustration regarding white feminists in Chapter 23?
6. How is Audre's relationship with Muriel first described in the book?
7. How is Muriel's affair with Toni described in the book?
8. How is Audre's work as an X-ray technician described in the book?
9. How is the character Eudora first described in the book?
10. How is Audre's relationship with Bea described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Audre's time spent with "The Branded" versus the "Sistah Outsiders". Which group allowed Audre to grow more as a person? What impact did Audre's being a part of these groups have on her actions in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of work presented in the book. What opportunities did work present to Audre that she was not finding in school and what life lessons was she able to learn from her work experiences?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of lesbianism is an important one in the book and helps define the protagonist more clearly.
1) What impact does Audre's poetry writing have on her ability to be open about her lesbianism for the first time, especially considering her relations with The Branded at the time?
2) What is telling of the evolution of Audre's lesbianism based on her relationships with Gennie and Muriel?
3) What role does Audre play in the New York lesbian scene and what does this community mean to her?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)