|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Eudora suffer from?
2. Where does Audre first go once moving to Stamford?
3. What is the relationship between Ginger and Cora in the book?
4. Which of the following qualities does Audre not say she struggles to have accepted by American society?
5. What is the name of Audre's boss whom she rebels against in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the New York lesbian scene described in Chapter 29?
2. Why does Audre express frustration regarding white feminists in Chapter 23?
3. How is Audre's near-rape described in Chapter 23?
4. How is Audre's relationship with Bea described in the book?
5. How are the "closed-shop" laws described in the book?
6. How is Audre's relationship with Muriel first described in the book?
7. How is Audre's relationship with Eudora first described in the book?
8. How is Audre's peak in her lesbianism described after she drops out of college?
9. How does Audre's friend Lynn cause problems between her and Muriel when she moves in with them?
10. How is the Interlude: The Last of My Childhood Nightmares described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of alienation that is portrayed in the book. What impact does Audre's alienation from much of her surroundings have on the way she views the world? Does she appear to have overcome her alienation, at least to some degree, by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of Audre's coming of age in the book. What impact did Audre's near blindness at birth and relationship with her mother have on her sexual coming of age in the book, and why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of education in the book and the impact it had on Audre's life. How did Audre's views towards education evolve throughout the book and what outside influences were responsible for this path?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)