|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions is not given of Audre's work performance in Chapter 19?
2. What year are the Rosenbergs killed?
3. What does Audre burn her hand on after her relationship with Muriel begins falling apart?
4. What kind of business does Eudora own?
5. What does Audre say her flirtations must be as a part of the New York lesbian scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Audre react to her new scenery after moving to Mexico?
2. What political advancements lead to Audre moving back to the U.S. from Mexico?
3. What is the nature of the piece of writing of Muriel's that Audre finds in Chapter 28?
4. How is Audre's near-rape described in Chapter 23?
5. How is Audre's involvement in the Committee to Free the Rosenbergs described?
6. How is Audre's first time making love with Ginger described in the book?
7. What happens to Muriel to cause her split with Audre in the book?
8. How are the "closed-shop" laws described in the book?
9. What causes Audre to drop out of college?
10. How is Audre's peak in her lesbianism described after she drops out of college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of women in the book. What lessons of empowerment is the author offering to women in this book? What does she hope for others to learn from this book regarding the diverse nature of women?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of change that is presented in the book through the portrayal of various historical, political, and social situations. How does the author document the literal changes she found in these areas in the United States alongside the figurative changes in her own life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the importance that poetry and storytelling have in the book. How does the author use these devices as an outlet to express her own frustrations and desires about her social surroundings and humanity in general?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)