|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre say that black females faced every day that white lesbians did not?
2. What happens to Audre's father that requires her to come home from Stamford?
3. What year is it in Chapter 27?
4. How does Audre describe her state of mind after her first lesbian sexual experience?
5. Where does Audre first go once moving to Stamford?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of love in the book. How does Audre's ability to find love evolve throughout the book? What traits does she need to possess in order to find fulfilling love?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of women in the book. What lessons of empowerment is the author offering to women in this book? What does she hope for others to learn from this book regarding the diverse nature of women?
Essay Topic 3
The subject of race is one seen on many different levels throughout the author's life.
1) How is Audre's view of race first discovered and what impact does her experiences with segregation as a child appear to have on her views of race later in life?
2) How is race categorized differently in Harlem as opposed to other parts of the U.S. and what traits are present there to make it so unique?
3) What role does Audre's race play in defining her own character and her actions in life?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)