|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Audre afraid is wrong with her after she finds help with her pregnancy?
2. What does Audre do when she finds out she is pregnant?
3. What does Audre say she had to learn about herself after the national tragedy in Chapter 7?
4. What does Audre say her sisters are to her while they are growing up?
5. What kind of prayers does Audre say for those who died in the tragedy in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gennie's death described in the book?
2. How is Audre's relationship with Peter described in the book?
3. What is the nature of the results of the aptitude test Audre takes in high school?
4. Why is Audre jealous of her older sisters while growing up?
5. How does Audre describe her introduction to cooking in the book?
6. How does Audre describe being raped on a rooftop when she was 10-years-old?
7. How are "The Branded" first described in the book?
8. What role does Audre's love for making up stories have in her becoming a writer?
9. How is Audre's abortion described in the book?
10. How does Audre react to Gennie's death in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of the book's title as well as the portrayal of the Carriacou culture overall. What importance did the search for Zami have in Audre's life, did she try to create this act on her own after being unable to find it organically?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of women in the book. What lessons of empowerment is the author offering to women in this book? What does she hope for others to learn from this book regarding the diverse nature of women?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's first lesbian relationship with Gennie to her most serious lesbian relationship with Muriel. What can we learn about the evolution of Audre's sexuality based on the comparison of her relationship with these two women?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)