|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tragedy occurs at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What does Audre believe her sisters have more of than her when she is young?
3. What is the name that expresses how Carriacou women love one another in the book?
4. What word does Audre learn the meaning of at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Whom does Audre share a bed with growing up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Audre describe her introduction to cooking in the book?
2. How does Audre describe her first menstruation in the book?
3. How are "The Branded" first described in the book?
4. What does Audre do when she plays with a little girl named Toni in the book?
5. How does Audre describe her view of her mother when she was a young child in Harlem?
6. How is the beginning of Audre's desire for female companionship described in the book?
7. How is Audre's work ethic at St. Catherine's described in regards to her schoolwork?
8. How is Audre's abortion described in the book?
9. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
10. How does Audre initially react to the tragedy of Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of alienation that is portrayed in the book. What impact does Audre's alienation from much of her surroundings have on the way she views the world? Does she appear to have overcome her alienation, at least to some degree, by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of love in the book. How does Audre's ability to find love evolve throughout the book? What traits does she need to possess in order to find fulfilling love?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's first lesbian relationship with Gennie to her most serious lesbian relationship with Muriel. What can we learn about the evolution of Audre's sexuality based on the comparison of her relationship with these two women?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)