|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does the author note as bringing much difficulty upon her family in Chapter 1?
2. What is the name of the librarian who helps the protagonist learn to read?
3. What does the man who rapes Audre on a rooftop take from her?
4. How much does Audre tell her family about her molestation in Chapter 6?
5. What does the author's first teacher discourage her from writing when she first begins school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain the legend in Carriacou regarding women in the epilogue?
2. How does Audre initially react to the tragedy of Pearl Harbor?
3. How is the beginning of Audre's desire for female companionship described in the book?
4. What happens to Muriel to cause her split with Audre in the book?
5. What causes Audre to drop out of college?
6. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
7. How does Audre describe her treatment in society as a black woman in comparison with her white lesbian friends?
8. How does Audre learn to read before going to school?
9. How does Audre begin a relationship with a woman named Kitty?
10. How is Audre's poetry writing described when she first joins The Branded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of heritage is something brought up in several capacities throughout the book.
1) How is the Grenadian heritage, namely the Carriacou culture examined in the book and what impact does it have on the author?
2) What lessons does Audre learn about the importance of heritage from her relationship with Eudora while in Mexico?
3) How does Audre reflect upon her own heritage in the book and how does she define it?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Audre's reaction to sex with men versus women. What impact might Audre's being raped and molested several times has had on her views towards men? What other factors are present to explain her preference of women in a sexual sense?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's time spent with "The Branded" versus the "Sistah Outsiders". Which group allowed Audre to grow more as a person? What impact did Audre's being a part of these groups have on her actions in the book?
This section contains 1,690 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)