|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Audre's mother believe is molesting Gennie?
2. What occupation is the man who first molests Audre in the book?
3. What profession are Audre's friends Jean and Gennie in the book?
4. What is the name of Audre's first playmate?
5. What is the name of the author's first grade teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Audre learn to read before going to school?
2. How are "The Branded" first described in the book?
3. How is Audre's poetry writing described when she first joins The Branded?
4. What does Audre's mother believe is happening to Gennie to cause her to commit suicide?
5. How are the Carriacou women first described in the book?
6. How is Audre's first experience with segregation described in the book?
7. How does a boy named Alvin help Audre succeed in her first grade class?
8. How is the beginning of Audre's desire for female companionship described in the book?
9. How does the author describe her parents' relationship for the first time in the book?
10. How is Gennie's death described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of heritage is something brought up in several capacities throughout the book.
1) How is the Grenadian heritage, namely the Carriacou culture examined in the book and what impact does it have on the author?
2) What lessons does Audre learn about the importance of heritage from her relationship with Eudora while in Mexico?
3) How does Audre reflect upon her own heritage in the book and how does she define it?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of work presented in the book. What opportunities did work present to Audre that she was not finding in school and what life lessons was she able to learn from her work experiences?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of lesbianism is an important one in the book and helps define the protagonist more clearly.
1) What impact does Audre's poetry writing have on her ability to be open about her lesbianism for the first time, especially considering her relations with The Branded at the time?
2) What is telling of the evolution of Audre's lesbianism based on her relationships with Gennie and Muriel?
3) What role does Audre play in the New York lesbian scene and what does this community mean to her?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)