|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre express a desire for in Chapter 4?
2. What is the name of Audre's first playmate?
3. What is the name the author and her family are called due to their light black skin?
4. Who has to take Audre on her class trip after she is made to stay in a different hotel from the other kids'?
5. What word does Audre learn the meaning of at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Audre's love for making up stories have in her becoming a writer?
2. How does the author describe her parents' relationship for the first time in the book?
3. How is Audre's relationship with Peter described in the book?
4. How does Audre describe her view of her mother when she was a young child in Harlem?
5. How does Audre initially react to the tragedy of Pearl Harbor?
6. How is Gennie's death described in the book?
7. How does Audre react to Gennie's death in the book?
8. How is Audre's work ethic at St. Catherine's described in regards to her schoolwork?
9. How is Gennie's relationship with her mother Louisa described in the book?
10. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Audre's first lesbian relationship with Gennie to her most serious lesbian relationship with Muriel. What can we learn about the evolution of Audre's sexuality based on the comparison of her relationship with these two women?
Essay Topic 2
The subject of race is one seen on many different levels throughout the author's life.
1) How is Audre's view of race first discovered and what impact does her experiences with segregation as a child appear to have on her views of race later in life?
2) How is race categorized differently in Harlem as opposed to other parts of the U.S. and what traits are present there to make it so unique?
3) What role does Audre's race play in defining her own character and her actions in life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's time spent with "The Branded" versus the "Sistah Outsiders". Which group allowed Audre to grow more as a person? What impact did Audre's being a part of these groups have on her actions in the book?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)