|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Gennie and Louisa in the book?
2. What is the name of the author's first grade teacher?
3. What color coat does Audre's first playmate wear?
4. What job does Audre get just after graduating from high school?
5. How long does Audre say her first encounter with her first playmate lasted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her parents' relationship for the first time in the book?
2. How is Audre's work ethic at St. Catherine's described in regards to her schoolwork?
3. How does Audre describe her view of her mother when she was a young child in Harlem?
4. Why is Audre jealous of her older sisters while growing up?
5. How is Audre's consciousness of what race means first described in the book?
6. How is Audre's poetry writing described when she first joins The Branded?
7. How are Audre's actions to be prepared after Pearl Harbor described in the book?
8. How is Audre's abortion described in the book?
9. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
10. How does Audre describe her time spent working with her father in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel's genre offers many points of discussion with both its autobiographical and mythological material.
1) What aspects of the book appear to be purely autobiographical regarding the author's life?
2) What reasons would the author have for using mythological facts within the book alongside her personal accounts, does this help fill in gaps in the text?
3) How is the inclusion of both autobiographical and mythological methods in the book able to create a more well rounded portrayal of the author's life journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of love in the book. How does Audre's ability to find love evolve throughout the book? What traits does she need to possess in order to find fulfilling love?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of work presented in the book. What opportunities did work present to Audre that she was not finding in school and what life lessons was she able to learn from her work experiences?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)