|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sisters does Audre have?
2. How does Audre describe her relationship with her family when she is in high school?
3. What occupation is the man who first molests Audre in the book?
4. What is the name of Audre's first love?
5. What type of book is "Zami, a New Spelling of My Name"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Audre's first experience with segregation described in the book?
2. What is the nature of the results of the aptitude test Audre takes in high school?
3. How are the Carriacou women first described in the book?
4. What does Audre do when she plays with a little girl named Toni in the book?
5. How is the beginning of Audre's desire for female companionship described in the book?
6. How is Gennie's relationship with her mother Louisa described in the book?
7. How does Audre describe her time spent working with her father in Chapter 9?
8. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
9. How does Audre describe being raped on a rooftop when she was 10-years-old?
10. What does Audre's mother believe is happening to Gennie to cause her to commit suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of education in the book and the impact it had on Audre's life. How did Audre's views towards education evolve throughout the book and what outside influences were responsible for this path?
Essay Topic 2
The subject of race is one seen on many different levels throughout the author's life.
1) How is Audre's view of race first discovered and what impact does her experiences with segregation as a child appear to have on her views of race later in life?
2) How is race categorized differently in Harlem as opposed to other parts of the U.S. and what traits are present there to make it so unique?
3) What role does Audre's race play in defining her own character and her actions in life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of community in the book. What importance does the author place on being a part of a community, namely one where there is a sense of belonging, based on the portrayals of The Branded and the Sistah Outsiders?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)