|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre say she had to learn about herself after the national tragedy in Chapter 7?
2. What occupation is the man who first molests Audre in the book?
3. What is the name the author and her family are called due to their light black skin?
4. What is the name of the boy in the author's class who helps her fit in with the good kids?
5. What political stance does Audre begin conforming to in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the beginning of Audre's desire for female companionship described in the book?
2. How is Audre's abortion described in the book?
3. How does Audre describe her introduction to cooking in the book?
4. What does Audre do after being molested by a comic book storeowner?
5. How does Audre describe sharing a bed with her older sisters as a young girl?
6. What does Audre do when she plays with a little girl named Toni in the book?
7. How does Audre describe her first menstruation in the book?
8. How are "The Branded" first described in the book?
9. How is Audre's relationship with Peter described in the book?
10. How does Audre describe being raped on a rooftop when she was 10-years-old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of alienation that is portrayed in the book. What impact does Audre's alienation from much of her surroundings have on the way she views the world? Does she appear to have overcome her alienation, at least to some degree, by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of community in the book. What importance does the author place on being a part of a community, namely one where there is a sense of belonging, based on the portrayals of The Branded and the Sistah Outsiders?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's reaction to sex with men versus women. What impact might Audre's being raped and molested several times has had on her views towards men? What other factors are present to explain her preference of women in a sexual sense?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)