|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre love to do in the kitchen with her mother?
2. What color coat does Audre's first playmate wear?
3. What is the name of the librarian who helps the protagonist learn to read?
4. Whom does the author become embarrassed of because she is so different?
5. How does Audre's mother react when she finds she is complaining about her at her high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Audre's work ethic at St. Catherine's described in regards to her schoolwork?
2. How does a boy named Alvin help Audre succeed in her first grade class?
3. How does Audre describe being raped on a rooftop when she was 10-years-old?
4. What does Audre do when she plays with a little girl named Toni in the book?
5. What role does Audre's love for making up stories have in her becoming a writer?
6. How is Audre's consciousness of what race means first described in the book?
7. How does the author describe her parents' relationship for the first time in the book?
8. How is Audre's first experience with segregation described in the book?
9. How is the beginning of Audre's desire for female companionship described in the book?
10. How is Audre's poetry writing described when she first joins The Branded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of lesbianism is an important one in the book and helps define the protagonist more clearly.
1) What impact does Audre's poetry writing have on her ability to be open about her lesbianism for the first time, especially considering her relations with The Branded at the time?
2) What is telling of the evolution of Audre's lesbianism based on her relationships with Gennie and Muriel?
3) What role does Audre play in the New York lesbian scene and what does this community mean to her?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Audre's reaction to sex with men versus women. What impact might Audre's being raped and molested several times has had on her views towards men? What other factors are present to explain her preference of women in a sexual sense?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's time spent with "The Branded" versus the "Sistah Outsiders". Which group allowed Audre to grow more as a person? What impact did Audre's being a part of these groups have on her actions in the book?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)