|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre do when she finds out she is pregnant?
2. What nationality is the woman whom Audre finds to help her with her pregnancy?
3. At what age does Audre begin her first period?
4. What is Audre particularly enamored by as a child?
5. What kind of positions does the author begin taking in life starting in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Audre react to Gennie's death in the book?
2. How is Audre's relationship with Peter described in the book?
3. How does Audre describe her view of her mother when she was a young child in Harlem?
4. How does Audre describe her first menstruation in the book?
5. How is Audre's abortion described in the book?
6. How is Audre's consciousness of what race means first described in the book?
7. What does Audre's mother believe is happening to Gennie to cause her to commit suicide?
8. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
9. How does the author describe her parents' relationship for the first time in the book?
10. How is the beginning of Audre's desire for female companionship described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of alienation that is portrayed in the book. What impact does Audre's alienation from much of her surroundings have on the way she views the world? Does she appear to have overcome her alienation, at least to some degree, by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Audre's reaction to sex with men versus women. What impact might Audre's being raped and molested several times has had on her views towards men? What other factors are present to explain her preference of women in a sexual sense?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of work presented in the book. What opportunities did work present to Audre that she was not finding in school and what life lessons was she able to learn from her work experiences?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)