|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What office does Audre run for in her middle school?
2. What kind of unique consciousness does Audre attribute for her ability to be a focused writer?
3. Who comes to visit Audre's house just after Gennie's death?
4. What is the name of the librarian who helps the protagonist learn to read?
5. Where does Audre visit with her class in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Audre describe Stamford, Connecticut when she first moves there?
2. What does Audre do after finding out her father had a stroke?
3. How is Audre's involvement in the Committee to Free the Rosenbergs described?
4. How are the "closed-shop" laws described in the book?
5. How are the Carriacou women first described in the book?
6. How is Audre's abortion described in the book?
7. How does Audre react to her new scenery after moving to Mexico?
8. How is Audre's near-rape described in Chapter 23?
9. What role does Audre's love for making up stories have in her becoming a writer?
10. What happens to Muriel to cause her split with Audre in the book?
Essay Topic 1
The concept of heritage is something brought up in several capacities throughout the book.
1) How is the Grenadian heritage, namely the Carriacou culture examined in the book and what impact does it have on the author?
2) What lessons does Audre learn about the importance of heritage from her relationship with Eudora while in Mexico?
3) How does Audre reflect upon her own heritage in the book and how does she define it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of education in the book and the impact it had on Audre's life. How did Audre's views towards education evolve throughout the book and what outside influences were responsible for this path?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of work presented in the book. What opportunities did work present to Audre that she was not finding in school and what life lessons was she able to learn from her work experiences?
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)