|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre say her mother hates to cook but that she enjoyed?
2. Whom does Audre's mother believe is molesting Gennie?
3. How old is Audre when she meets her first playmate?
4. What is the name of the librarian who helps the protagonist learn to read?
5. What does Audre do when she finds out she is pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Audre's relationship with Peter described in the book?
2. How does Audre initially react to the tragedy of Pearl Harbor?
3. How does Audre describe her first menstruation in the book?
4. What is the nature of the results of the aptitude test Audre takes in high school?
5. How does Audre describe sharing a bed with her older sisters as a young girl?
6. How are the Carriacou women first described in the book?
7. How does the author describe her parents' relationship for the first time in the book?
8. How is Audre's abortion described in the book?
9. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
10. How does Audre describe her time spent working with her father in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Audre's feminist efforts with those made by white feminists years later. What reasons does Audre have for criticizing these women who seem to be fighting for the same things she was?
Essay Topic 2
The author makes an interesting choice in the book by highlighting many true historical events throughout the text and offers her own opinions and reactions to them.
1) Why does the author often combine her own personal experiences alongside historical events such as Pearl Harbor?
2) What can we learn about the importance that political freedom has for the author based on her portrayal of McCarthyism in the book?
3) What can we learn about Audre's political and social beliefs based on her support of the Rosenbergs while they are on trial, especially given the ways she is able to identify with them?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's reaction to sex with men versus women. What impact might Audre's being raped and molested several times has had on her views towards men? What other factors are present to explain her preference of women in a sexual sense?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)