|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Audre tell her family about her molestation in Chapter 6?
2. What job does an aptitude test suggest Audre have when she takes it in high school?
3. What type of book is "Zami, a New Spelling of My Name"?
4. How does working with her father make Audre feel?
5. What job does Audre get just after graduating from high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Audre's consciousness of what race means first described in the book?
2. How does Audre initially react to the tragedy of Pearl Harbor?
3. How does Audre describe her introduction to cooking in the book?
4. How does Audre describe her first menstruation in the book?
5. What role does Audre's love for making up stories have in her becoming a writer?
6. How does Audre describe being raped on a rooftop when she was 10-years-old?
7. How are "The Branded" first described in the book?
8. How are the Carriacou women first described in the book?
9. How does Audre describe sharing a bed with her older sisters as a young girl?
10. What does Audre do after being molested by a comic book storeowner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of lesbianism is an important one in the book and helps define the protagonist more clearly.
1) What impact does Audre's poetry writing have on her ability to be open about her lesbianism for the first time, especially considering her relations with The Branded at the time?
2) What is telling of the evolution of Audre's lesbianism based on her relationships with Gennie and Muriel?
3) What role does Audre play in the New York lesbian scene and what does this community mean to her?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of women in the book. What lessons of empowerment is the author offering to women in this book? What does she hope for others to learn from this book regarding the diverse nature of women?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Audre's time spent with "The Branded" versus the "Sistah Outsiders". Which group allowed Audre to grow more as a person? What impact did Audre's being a part of these groups have on her actions in the book?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)