|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of songs does the protagonist's mother sing to her as a child?
2. How does Audre describe her relationship with her family when she is in high school?
3. Who is against Audre running for office in her middle school?
4. What is the name of Audre's first boyfriend?
5. What does Audre's mother do on election days when Audre is young?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Audre initially react to the tragedy of Pearl Harbor?
2. How is Gennie's relationship with her mother Louisa described in the book?
3. How does the author describe her parents' relationship for the first time in the book?
4. How are the Carriacou women first described in the book?
5. How does Audre describe her view of her mother when she was a young child in Harlem?
6. How is Gennie's death described in the book?
7. How does Audre describe being raped on a rooftop when she was 10-years-old?
8. What does Audre do after being molested by a comic book storeowner?
9. How does Audre describe her first menstruation in the book?
10. How does Audre react to Gennie's death in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel's genre offers many points of discussion with both its autobiographical and mythological material.
1) What aspects of the book appear to be purely autobiographical regarding the author's life?
2) What reasons would the author have for using mythological facts within the book alongside her personal accounts, does this help fill in gaps in the text?
3) How is the inclusion of both autobiographical and mythological methods in the book able to create a more well rounded portrayal of the author's life journey?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Audre's reaction to sex with men versus women. What impact might Audre's being raped and molested several times has had on her views towards men? What other factors are present to explain her preference of women in a sexual sense?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of community in the book. What importance does the author place on being a part of a community, namely one where there is a sense of belonging, based on the portrayals of The Branded and the Sistah Outsiders?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)