|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Audre say she loves making the dish her mother hates?
(a) It takes patience.
(b) She likes pounding meat.
(c) The smell is nice.
(d) She likes pounding garlic.
2. What political stance does Audre begin conforming to in Chapter 13?
3. What is the name of Audre's group of friends who are outcasts in high school?
(a) The Branded.
(b) The Slashed.
(c) Sistah Outsiders.
(d) The Stained.
4. What subjects did Audre learn well in elementary school that help her in her next school?
(a) History and math.
(b) Reading and Writing.
(c) Math and reading.
(d) Science and math.
5. What is the name of the stern woman whom Audre talks about who works at her school in Chapter 8?
(b) Sister Mary Lawrence.
(d) Ann Archdeacon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre love to do in the kitchen with her mother?
2. What is the name of the boy in the author's class who helps her fit in with the good kids?
3. Which of Audre's friends in The Branded attempts suicide several times?
4. What kind of unique consciousness does Audre attribute for her ability to be a focused writer?
5. What does Audre believe led to her becoming a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gennie's relationship with her mother Louisa described in the book?
2. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
3. How does Audre describe being raped on a rooftop when she was 10-years-old?
4. How is Audre's first experience with segregation described in the book?
5. What does Audre's mother believe is happening to Gennie to cause her to commit suicide?
6. How does Audre initially react to the tragedy of Pearl Harbor?
7. How does Audre describe her view of her mother when she was a young child in Harlem?
8. How are the Carriacou women first described in the book?
9. What is the nature of the results of the aptitude test Audre takes in high school?
10. How does Audre learn to read before going to school?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)