|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Audre express a desire for in Chapter 4?
(a) A boyfriend.
(b) A girlfriend.
(c) A new mother.
(d) A little sister.
2. What about her country does Audre say she felt alienated from in Chapter 10?
(c) Political institutions and history.
(d) Educational systems.
3. What event does the author note as bringing much difficulty upon her family in Chapter 1?
(a) D Day.
(b) The stock market crash.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
(d) World War II.
4. What type of book is "Zami, a New Spelling of My Name"?
(a) An autobiography.
(b) A children's book.
(c) A book of short stories.
(d) A fiction novel.
5. What does Audre help take care of for her father when she works with him as a young girl?
(a) His inventory.
(b) His money.
(c) His books.
(d) His receipts.
6. What does the author's first teacher discourage her from writing when she first begins school?
(a) Made up stories.
(b) Her first name.
(c) Her last name.
(d) Her alphabet.
7. What areas did Audre score well on in the aptitude test she took in high school?
(a) Math and science.
(b) Science and manual dexterity.
(d) Reading and math.
8. What is the name of the high school Audre attends?
(a) St. Mary's of Hope.
(b) Hunter College High School.
(c) Baker High School.
(d) St. Catherine's School.
9. Who comes to visit Audre's house just after Gennie's death?
10. What is the name of the book's protagonist?
11. What does Audre say her mother hates to cook but that she enjoyed?
(a) Chicken soup.
(c) Roast beef.
12. What job does an aptitude test suggest Audre have when she takes it in high school?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A dental technician.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A construction worker.
13. What does Audre have her first experience with during her first class trip?
14. What does Audre believe her sisters have more of than her when she is young?
15. What does Audre believe led to her becoming a writer?
(a) Making up her own stories.
(b) Her Harlem neighborhood.
(c) Her heritage.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the stern woman whom Audre talks about who works at her school in Chapter 8?
2. How many sisters does Audre have?
3. What tragedy occurs at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What nationality is the woman whom Audre finds to help her with her pregnancy?
5. What city does Audre describe the layout of in Chapter 6?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)