|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author's first teacher discourage her from writing when she first begins school?
(a) Made up stories.
(b) Her last name.
(c) Her first name.
(d) Her alphabet.
2. What hobby does Audre begin doing after joining her group of outcast friends in high school?
(a) Pottery making.
(d) Poetry writing.
3. What do Audre's sisters wait until she goes to sleep to do at night?
(a) Brush their hair.
(b) Sneak out.
4. What does Audre begin doing to her first playmate that she seems to enjoy?
(a) Brushes her hair.
(b) Undresses her.
(c) Puts makeup on her.
(d) Hit her.
5. What is the name of the boy in the author's class who helps her fit in with the good kids?
6. What tragedy occurs at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) D Day.
(c) World War I.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
7. What is the name of Audre's group of friends who are outcasts in high school?
(a) Sistah Outsiders.
(b) The Branded.
(c) The Slashed.
(d) The Stained.
8. What does Audre love to do in the kitchen with her mother?
(a) Bake bread.
(b) Butcher meat.
(c) Chop herbs.
(d) Pound spices.
9. What is the name of the island filled with women that the author focuses on in Chapter 1?
10. What does Audre's mother do on election days when Audre is young?
(a) She protests outside.
(b) She keeps a drink stand.
(c) She works at the voting booths.
(d) She keeps a food stand.
11. Whom does Audre complain to about her mother at her high school?
(a) A teacher.
(b) Her principal.
(c) A school counselor.
(d) Her cousin.
12. What disability is the protagonist born with?
(b) Near blindness.
(c) No fingers.
(d) One arm.
13. What month does Gennie come to Audre's house very upset?
14. What is the name of the group of bad kids in the author's elementary school class?
15. What is the relationship between Gennie and Louisa in the book?
(b) Mother and daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit Audre's house just after Gennie's death?
2. What does Audre say that she and Gennie never shared together in Chapter 14?
3. What does Audre express a desire for in Chapter 4?
4. What areas did Audre score well on in the aptitude test she took in high school?
5. Whom does the author become embarrassed of because she is so different?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)