|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the librarian who helps the protagonist learn to read?
(a) August Baker.
(b) Barbara Hall.
(c) Louisa May.
(d) Eudora Smith.
2. What is the name of the author's first grade teacher?
(a) Sister Mary of Perpetual Help.
(b) Sister Jane of Hope.
(c) Mary Grace.
(d) Lilly Smith.
3. Who has to take Audre on her class trip after she is made to stay in a different hotel from the other kids'?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her principal.
4. What does Audre believe led to her becoming a writer?
(a) Making up her own stories.
(b) Her heritage.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her Harlem neighborhood.
5. What city does Audre describe the layout of in Chapter 6?
(a) The Bronx.
6. How long does Audre say her first encounter with her first playmate lasted?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 2 weeks.
7. How does Gennie die in the book?
(a) She takes rat poison.
(b) She drowns.
(c) She shoots herself.
(d) She cuts her wrists.
8. What is the name of the school that Audre attends as the first black student?
(a) St. Patrick of Hope.
(b) St. Mary's Episcopal.
(c) St. Catherine's School.
(d) St. Ignatius.
9. What does Audre have her first experience with during her first class trip?
10. What does the man who rapes Audre on a rooftop take from her?
(a) Her necklace.
(b) Her glasses.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her clothes.
11. What is the name of the group of bad kids in the author's elementary school class?
12. What office does Audre run for in her middle school?
(a) Class secretary.
(b) Class treasurer.
(c) Class vice president.
(d) Class president.
13. How does Audre feel after Gennie dies?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She is crushed.
(d) She is in denial.
14. What kitchen tool to use of her mother's does Audre love?
(a) A wooden spoon.
(b) The knife.
(c) The mortar.
(d) The whisk.
15. Who is against Audre running for office in her middle school?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Audre do when she finds out she is pregnant?
2. Whom does Audre complain to about her mother at her high school?
3. At what age does Audre begin her first period?
4. What about her country does Audre say she felt alienated from in Chapter 10?
5. What does Audre have a deep need for even as a young child?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)