|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Audre say she had to learn about herself after the national tragedy in Chapter 7?
(a) Her birthday.
(b) Her full name.
(c) Her race.
(d) Her blood type.
2. What does Audre's mother do on election days when Audre is young?
(a) She keeps a food stand.
(b) She works at the voting booths.
(c) She keeps a drink stand.
(d) She protests outside.
3. Whom does the author become embarrassed of because she is so different?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
4. What political stance does Audre begin conforming to in Chapter 13?
5. What profession are Audre's friends Jean and Gennie in the book?
6. What is the name of the island filled with women that the author focuses on in Chapter 1?
7. What is the name of the author's first grade teacher?
(a) Sister Mary of Perpetual Help.
(b) Lilly Smith.
(c) Mary Grace.
(d) Sister Jane of Hope.
8. Where does Audre visit with her class in Chapter 10?
(c) Washington, D.C.
9. How old is Audre when she meets her first playmate?
10. How does Audre feel when she loses the position that she ran for in middle school?
11. What type of book is "Zami, a New Spelling of My Name"?
(a) A fiction novel.
(b) A book of short stories.
(c) An autobiography.
(d) A children's book.
12. Whom does Audre's mother believe is molesting Gennie?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her father.
13. What does Audre decide to do just after graduating high school?
(a) Move out of her parent's house.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Find a new boyfriend.
(d) Start college.
14. What does the author's first teacher discourage her from writing when she first begins school?
(a) Her alphabet.
(b) Her last name.
(c) Her first name.
(d) Made up stories.
15. What is the name of the high school Audre attends?
(a) St. Mary's of Hope.
(b) St. Catherine's School.
(c) Baker High School.
(d) Hunter College High School.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month does Gennie come to Audre's house very upset?
2. How long does Audre say her first encounter with her first playmate lasted?
3. What do Audre's sisters wait until she goes to sleep to do at night?
4. What job does an aptitude test suggest Audre have when she takes it in high school?
5. What kind of unique consciousness does Audre attribute for her ability to be a focused writer?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)