Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Carriacou women first described in the book?
2. How is the meaning of Zami first described in the book?
3. How does the author describe her parents' relationship for the first time in the book?
4. How does Audre describe her view of her mother when she was a young child in Harlem?
5. How does Audre learn to read before going to school?
6. How does a boy named Alvin help Audre succeed in her first grade class?
7. How is the beginning of Audre's desire for female companionship described in the book?
8. What does Audre do when she plays with a little girl named Toni in the book?
9. Why is Audre jealous of her older sisters while growing up?
10. How does Audre describe sharing a bed with her older sisters as a young girl?
11. What role does Audre's love for making up stories have in her becoming a writer?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)