|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Loomis do with Faro?
2. What does Ann make that turns out perfect?
3. What does Loomis do at the store that causes Ann to worry?
4. What does Loomis do at Ann's cave?
5. What is Mr. Loomis designing as he recovers?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Z for Zachariah based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Arrow's Flight is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Z for Zachariah is a novel for teens changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? What at about the fact that it is an apocalyptic novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ann makes the decision to observe the man who has decided to bathe in Burden Creek, which Ann knows is dead and probably poisoned either with radioactivity or some other by-product of the war. Discuss the following:
1. Does Ann make a wise decision to still not show herself when the man is entering the water?
2. Is Ann's decision not to run down and stop the man a lack of compassion? Kindness?
3. Would you have made the same decision that Ann makes? Why or why not?
4. Do you think Loomis is justified in being angry with Ann when he learns that she watched him enter the dangerous water and did nothing? Is he angry? Discuss the psychological/emotional dynamics of the situation.
5. Was Ann responsible for warning Loomis even if it reveals her presence? Do you have a responsibility to warn someone if you observe them doing something that could injure or kill them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 11, Ann pieces together the story of Mr. Loomis and Edward and realizes that Mr. Loomis likely murdered Edward. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think you would have done when caring for Loomis and learning he had likely murdered someone?
2. Does Ann seem to take the situation seriously? Does her response seem to reflect a greater maturity than the typical 15 year old or about the same as the average 15 year old?
3. Would you have confronted Mr. Loomis as soon as he was able to interact? Would you have confronted him at all? Ann waits until she is leaving the valley--do you think that is the best course of action?
This section contains 2,893 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)