|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann happily note during her morning chores?
2. What does Loomis do in order to find Ann?
3. Where does Loomis search for Ann?
4. What does Ann think about Loomis and Edward?
5. What puzzles Ann about Loomis' request that she read him poetry?
Essay Topic 1
This novel was written in the Seventies, a short time after the Bay of Pigs scare that left many Americans afraid of a nuclear attack. This novel takes place some years after a week long war that left most of the country devastated not only by nuclear fallout, but also nerve gases and other biological weapons. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay about the fear of nuclear war during the 1960s. Why were people so afraid of the possibility of a nuclear war? What did countries do to prevent such a happening? Was there any civil preparedness for such an event? Is it realistic to prepare for something such as a nuclear war?
2. Do you think Ann's family was wise to have gone off from the safety of their valley so soon after the end of what they were fairly sure was a nuclear war?
3. Was it irresponsible of Ann's parents to leave her and her brother (who was supposed to stay) at the ages of 15 and 16 alone while they went out gathering information?
4. How likely is it that the scenario of the valley escaping contamination would actually happen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Ann is wise to leave the valley? Do you think the implication is that her dream of teaching children is prophetic and that she will find others? Why or why not?
2. Would you have chosen the same route as Ann, i.e., leaving the valley. Why or why not?
3. How well do you think Ann will survive journeying out into a dangerous world?
4. Do you think Mr. Loomis redeems himself by pointing Ann in a likely direction to begin her journey? Give an in depth response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Z for Zachariah based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Arrow's Flight is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Z for Zachariah is a novel for teens changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? What at about the fact that it is an apocalyptic novel? Explain.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)