|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Loomis say Ann's family probably died?
2. Who returns to the valley?
3. Where does Ann take the cows and young bull?
4. What does Ann think about in a flashback to right after the war?
5. Why does Ann decide to keep the man in sight for the first two or more?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation in the valley about the water supply?
2. Why concerns Ann about the approaching stranger?
3. How does Loomis manage to survive on his long journey walking from New York?
4. What does the man in the suit do when he finally arrives at Ann's house?
5. What does Ann decide to do to make cooking easier in the house?
6. What does Ann hear Loomis saying in his dreams and what does Ann think about what she hears?
7. How does Ann become inspired to make a salad?
8. Why does Ann think someone is coming to her valley?
9. What does the man do with his Geiger counter and then what terrible error does he make?
10. Explain why Ann's parents left her home when they left to discover the effects of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Z for Zachariah could be said to be a "bildungsroman" of Ann, the main character. Discuss the following:
1. Define the concepts "bildungsroman" and "coming of age."
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze Z for Zachariah as a bildungsroman of Ann. Give specific examples. What does Ann learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
3. Do you think young people in our modern culture go through a coming of age period? Do you think the concept of "coming of age" is inherent in the human experience? Why or why not?
4. Do you think you have lived through a "coming of age" period in your own life? Discuss as thoroughly as you willing to share.
Essay Topic 2
This novel was written in the Seventies, a short time after the Bay of Pigs scare that left many Americans afraid of a nuclear attack. This novel takes place some years after a week long war that left most of the country devastated not only by nuclear fallout, but also nerve gases and other biological weapons. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay about the fear of nuclear war during the 1960s. Why were people so afraid of the possibility of a nuclear war? What did countries do to prevent such a happening? Was there any civil preparedness for such an event? Is it realistic to prepare for something such as a nuclear war?
2. Do you think Ann's family was wise to have gone off from the safety of their valley so soon after the end of what they were fairly sure was a nuclear war?
3. Was it irresponsible of Ann's parents to leave her and her brother (who was supposed to stay) at the ages of 15 and 16 alone while they went out gathering information?
4. How likely is it that the scenario of the valley escaping contamination would actually happen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Z for Zachariah, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)