|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Ann worry?
(a) The man will eat all the chickens and there will be none left to reproduce.
(b) The man will kill one of the cows.
(c) The man will leave right away.
(d) She should have warned the man about Burden Creek.
2. What does Ann see when she goes and looks out of the boundaries of her valley?
(a) Lots of animals but no people.
(b) Everything is dead.
(c) A valley about 40 miles away that has signs of life.
(d) Smoke in three different directions.
3. When Ann's father returns from scouting the first time he went out, what does he report finding?
(a) Some areas still have a few people.
(b) He never returned from his scouting expedition.
(c) Only a few have died around a 50 mile radius of their place.
(d) Lots of dead bodies.
4. What does the man notice in Burden Creek?
(a) Large mouth bass.
(b) Lots of algae.
(c) A lack of animal life in the creek.
(d) Some turtles.
5. Where has Ann been on the morning of the opening of the book?
(c) In the hayloft.
(d) The doctor's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man set up in the front yard?
2. From where is the pond fed?
3. Of what is the man afraid?
4. About how far is Claypole Ridge?
5. Whom does the man feed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ann get the tractor running and what planting decision does she make?
2. How does Ann become inspired to make a salad?
3. What does Ann decide to do as the stranger draws closer?
4. What does Ann daydream about as she is picking salad greens?
5. What does Ann hear Loomis saying in his dreams and what does Ann think about what she hears?
6. Explain why Ann's parents left her home when they left to discover the effects of the war?
7. What does Ann worry about when she discovers that Faro has returned?
8. How does Loomis manage to survive on his long journey walking from New York?
9. Who is the stranger and what was his job before the war?
10. What does the man in the suit do when he finally arrives at Ann's house?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)