|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ann feel about the man being there as she gets ready to sleep that night?
(a) Fearful but companionable.
2. What does Ann use to gather greens?
(a) A rolling suitcase.
(b) A wheelbarrow.
(c) A plastic grocery bag.
(d) The basket her mother always used.
3. Where does Ann take the cows and young bull?
(a) To a far pasture.
(b) No where.
(c) To the neighobor's farm.
(d) To the cave.
4. What does Loomis think the Creek water could do?
(a) Eventually become harmless.
(b) Generate electricity.
(c) Keep trespassers away.
(d) Pollute the pond.
5. What did Loomis' boss invent?
(a) An amoeba.
(b) A new kind of metal.
(c) A polymer.
(d) A new kind of Geiger counter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann think about in a flashback to right after the war?
2. About what does Ann worry?
3. Of what is the man afraid?
4. What does the man do after using the Geiger counter?
5. From where is the pond fed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man say possibly happened to Ann's family?
2. How does Mr. Loomis respond to Ann's saying she is leaving and what does Ann do?
3. What happens when Ann goes back to the farm to speak to Mr. Loomis and what does Ann realize?
4. Who is the stranger and what was his job before the war?
5. What does Ann tell Mr. Loomis she knows?
6. Why is Mr. Loomis at Burden Creek when Ann returns from picking greens, and how does he think the Creek can be used?
7. What does Ann decide to do to make cooking easier in the house?
8. Why does Ann think she can return to the fields to work and why does Loomis yell at her?
9. Explain why Ann is alone in the valley.
10. Why concerns Ann about the approaching stranger?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)