|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What set of reading material does Ann give Loomis?
(a) The Farmer's Almanacs from the last twenty-five years.
(b) The Farmer's Mechanic.
(c) A stack of Mother Earth magazines.
(d) A couple carpentry books.
2. How does Ann spend much of the next day?
(a) Planting greens.
(b) Plowing fields with the tractor.
(c) Bringing the cows to the front pasture.
(d) Gathering the chickens.
3. From where is the pond fed?
(a) An underground spring.
(b) A well that is not capped.
(c) Ann does not know.
(d) Burden Creek.
4. What does Ann think should possibly happen on her 17th birthday?
(a) Leaving the valley.
(b) Trying to get pregnant.
(c) Trying to contact others in the midwest which did not get hit so badly.
(d) Getting married.
5. What doesn't Ann think the man is in a car?
(a) It would run out of gas.
(b) She thinks he is probably driving a car.
(c) It would be too radioactive.
(d) It would be bringing him there faster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann fear about Loomis?
2. What does the man do at the pond?
3. What bothers Ann about the man and her chickens?
4. What is Loomis doing when Ann returns home?
5. What does Ann decide to plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man do with his Geiger counter and then what terrible error does he make?
2. Who is the stranger and what was his job before the war?
3. Why concerns Ann about the approaching stranger?
4. Why is the valley special?
5. What does the man in the suit do when he finally arrives at Ann's house?
6. What happens that convinces Ann that the man knows nothing about farm life and what is her response?
7. What does Ann decide to do to make cooking easier in the house?
8. Explain why Ann is alone in the valley.
9. What does Loomis say he was developing before the war?
10. How does Ann get the tractor running and what planting decision does she make?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)