|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since it is June, what is urgent that Ann do?
(a) Let the rooster have access to the chickens.
(b) Get the garden going.
(c) Can some of her garden asap.
(d) Get the cow pregnant again.
2. What did the man lay on top of his cart?
(a) An oxygen tank.
(b) Another Geiger counter.
(c) A gun.
(d) A dog biscuit.
3. Why does Ann decide to hide from a visitor?
(a) She has no decent clothes.
(b) She decides there are worse things than being alone.
(c) She does not want to scare the person.
(d) She wants to surprise them.
4. What does the visitor do when he first arrives over a hill and sees the green valley?
(a) He drops to his knees and prays.
(b) He runs forward waving his arms.
(c) He stands and stares for a few minutes.
(d) He sobs hysterically.
5. Who returns to the valley?
(a) The Kleins.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ann know what she states in the opening sentence?
2. What does the man set up in the front yard?
3. What does Ann decide to plant?
4. What is Ann's first impulse when the man yells for anyone?
5. What does Ann hope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ann decide to do as the stranger draws closer?
2. Why does Ann decide to go down to the farm yard and what does she discover?
3. What does the man do with his Geiger counter and then what terrible error does he make?
4. Why does Ann decide to ask Mr. Loomis questions and what happens as a result?
5. How does Ann prepare to carry out her decision?
6. Why does Ann think someone is coming to her valley?
7. How does Ann get the tractor running and what planting decision does she make?
8. How does Mr. Loomis seem later that evening, and what does Ann give him?
9. Explain why Ann's parents left her home when they left to discover the effects of the war?
10. What does Ann worry about when she discovers that Faro has returned?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)