|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ann decide to keep the man in sight for the first two or more?
(a) To see if he discovers anything about her.
(b) To figure out a way to incapacitate him.
(c) To decide whether to kill him or not.
(d) To learn of his habits.
2. What does Ann do later in the day without Loomis?
(b) Row on the pond.
(c) Walk to the store.
(d) Visit the church.
3. Who goes with Ann to gather the greens?
(b) The young bull.
(c) A barn cat.
4. What does the man notice in Burden Creek?
(a) Lots of algae.
(b) Large mouth bass.
(c) A lack of animal life in the creek.
(d) Some turtles.
5. When Ann's father returns from scouting the first time he went out, what does he report finding?
(a) Lots of dead bodies.
(b) Some areas still have a few people.
(c) He never returned from his scouting expedition.
(d) Only a few have died around a 50 mile radius of their place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man do at Burden Creek?
2. What is Loomis doing when Ann returns home?
3. From where is the pond fed?
4. How does Ann spend much of the next day?
5. With what information does the book open in the first sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the man there?
2. What does Loomis say about his activities the night the war breaks out?
3. What does Ann decide to do to make cooking easier in the house?
4. Why concerns Ann about the approaching stranger?
5. What does Ann worry about when she discovers that Faro has returned?
6. How does Loomis manage to survive on his long journey walking from New York?
7. How does Ann get the tractor running and what planting decision does she make?
8. What happens that convinces Ann that the man knows nothing about farm life and what is her response?
9. What does Ann hear Loomis saying in his dreams and what does Ann think about what she hears?
10. Who is the stranger and what was his job before the war?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)