|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faro point to in the field?
(a) A quail.
(b) A dove.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A grouse.
2. Since it is June, what is urgent that Ann do?
(a) Get the cow pregnant again.
(b) Get the garden going.
(c) Can some of her garden asap.
(d) Let the rooster have access to the chickens.
3. What did Loomis' boss invent?
(a) A polymer.
(b) A new kind of Geiger counter.
(c) A new kind of metal.
(d) An amoeba.
4. What seems to puzzle the man after he goes inside Ann's home?
(a) There are green plants in the sunroom.
(b) Faro isn't barking at the man.
(c) No one is there.
(d) There is fresh food in the cabinets.
5. What set of reading material does Ann give Loomis?
(a) The Farmer's Mechanic.
(b) A stack of Mother Earth magazines.
(c) The Farmer's Almanacs from the last twenty-five years.
(d) A couple carpentry books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intrigues the man as he is making breakfast?
2. What was John Loomis' occupation?
3. About what does Ann tell Loomis?
4. Who was to come to the lab where Loomis worked?
5. Of what is the man afraid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Ann's parents left her home when they left to discover the effects of the war?
2. How does Mr. Loomis seem later that evening, and what does Ann give him?
3. Why is Mr. Loomis at Burden Creek when Ann returns from picking greens, and how does he think the Creek can be used?
4. Who is the stranger and what was his job before the war?
5. What does Ann hear Loomis saying in his dreams and what does Ann think about what she hears?
6. What does Ann decide to do to make cooking easier in the house?
7. Why concerns Ann about the approaching stranger?
8. What does Loomis say about his activities the night the war breaks out?
9. What does the approaching stranger do when he gets halfway across the flat part of the hill overlooking the green valley of Ann's home?
10. How does Loomis manage to survive on his long journey walking from New York?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)