|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Ann worry?
(a) She should have warned the man about Burden Creek.
(b) The man will leave right away.
(c) The man will eat all the chickens and there will be none left to reproduce.
(d) The man will kill one of the cows.
2. Who goes with Ann to gather the greens?
(a) A barn cat.
(b) The young bull.
3. Since it is June, what is urgent that Ann do?
(a) Let the rooster have access to the chickens.
(b) Get the cow pregnant again.
(c) Get the garden going.
(d) Can some of her garden asap.
4. How does Ann know what she states in the opening sentence?
(a) The dog herds the cows home who kick at Ann.
(b) She sees smoke.
(c) They heard the news on the radio.
(d) Someone has been shooting a rifle.
5. What does Ann worry about if the stranger is still here in winter?
(a) Having enough food if feeding two.
(b) Surviving winter in a cave.
(c) Sharing a house with a stranger.
(d) Having enough wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inspires Ann to make a salad?
2. About whom does Ann ask Loomis?
3. Why does Ann go down to the farm yard with her gun?
4. Why does Ann decide to keep the man in sight for the first two or more?
5. For what does Ann really long?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Ann is alone in the valley.
2. What does the man in the suit do when he finally arrives at Ann's house?
3. Why is the valley special?
4. Why does Ann think someone is coming to her valley?
5. Explain why Ann's parents left her home when they left to discover the effects of the war?
6. Why is the man there?
7. What does Loomis say about his activities the night the war breaks out?
8. What does the man do with his Geiger counter and then what terrible error does he make?
9. Who is the stranger and what was his job before the war?
10. How does Mr. Loomis seem later that evening, and what does Ann give him?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)