|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ann play the piano that evening?
(a) She does not want to lose the skill she has.
(b) In the hopes it will soothe Mr. Loomis.
(c) She is bored.
(d) It makes her feel more hopeful.
2. How does Ann know how to change the sheets with someone in the bed?
(a) From a class she took.
(b) She just does the best she can.
(c) She looked it up in a book at the library.
(d) Her mom, who is a nurse, taught her.
3. What supports Ann's theory about Loomis and Edward?
(a) A letter Ann finds from Loomis describing his feelings about Edward's death.
(b) A letter Ann finds addressed to Edward's wife from Loomis.
(c) Patched holes in the radiation suit.
(d) A letter Ann finds addressed to Edward.
4. What flowers does Ann pick and put in Loomis' bedroom?
(a) Wild roses.
5. What does Ann wonder about as far as her conflict with Loomis?
(a) If he would be open to a compromise.
(b) If he would start sleeping in his tent again.
(c) If he might kill her.
(d) If he would leave the valley.
6. What does Mr. Loomis call the table set for dinner by his bedside?
(a) Too much work for Ann to have done.
(b) A holiday.
(c) A travesty.
(d) A miracle.
7. How does Ann know Mr. Loomis is doing better at the opening of Chapter 13?
(a) His heartbeat has slowed.
(b) He is hungry.
(c) He is talking.
(d) His respiration is closer to normal.
8. Why hasn't Ann written in her journal for quite some time?
(a) She been very ill and afraid.
(b) Nothing much has been going on.
(c) She lost her pen.
(d) She has been too busy.
9. To what does Ann liken Loomis when he opens his eyes?
(a) A person on mind-altering drugs.
(b) A newborn animal.
(c) A zombie she once saw on television.
(d) An alien from another planet.
10. What does Ann happily note during her morning chores?
(a) The pond is full from the rain last night.
(b) The garden lettuce is coming up.
(c) There are lots of new bird sounds.
(d) There are eight baby chickens hatched.
11. What does Ann do in response to her belief about Loomis and Edward?
(a) Goes to the church to pray.
(b) Adopts a wait and see attitude.
(c) Asks Loomis.
(d) Goes through the rest of Loomis' belongings.
12. Why does Ann go to the farm the morning after Loomis searched for Ann in the store apartment?
(a) To try to steal the tractor key.
(b) To try to steal the padlock keys.
(c) To talk to him.
(d) To shoot him.
13. What happens in the middle of the night?
(a) Loomis chokes and almost dies.
(b) Loomis tries to pin Ann to the bed.
(c) Ann hears a crash in the kitchen.
(d) Ann has a nightmare that wakes Loomis.
14. How does Ann treat her bullet wound?
(a) Uses betadine and clean bandages.
(b) Uses alcohol and bandages.
(c) She does not do anything as the bullet barely scratches her.
(d) Washes it in the pond.
15. What does Ann count at Mr. Loomis' bedside?
(a) His heart beats.
(b) The number of times he mentions Edward's name.
(c) The number of times he relives some horror.
(d) His respiration.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann do with Loomis' gun?
2. Where does Ann go in the dark?
3. Where does Loomis search for Ann?
4. Why is Ann afraid to leave the house?
5. What is Mr. Loomis able to do on the fourth day after he is conscious?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)