|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Loomis able to do on the fourth day after he is conscious?
(a) Get out of bed.
(b) Feed himself.
(c) Go outside and shuck peas.
(d) Go outside to feed the chickens.
2. Why does Ann decide to kill one of the older hens?
(a) To celebrate her birthday.
(b) To show Loomis how to kill and pluck one.
(c) Some new chicks have been born.
(d) Because it is no longer producing.
3. What happens in the middle of the night?
(a) Ann hears a crash in the kitchen.
(b) Loomis tries to pin Ann to the bed.
(c) Loomis chokes and almost dies.
(d) Ann has a nightmare that wakes Loomis.
4. What is Loomis doing with his gun when Ann returns?
(a) Shooting it at the top of the house.
(b) Trying to stick the barrel end in his mouth.
(c) Cleaning it.
(d) Smashing articles in the house with it.
5. What does Ann happily note during her morning chores?
(a) The pond is full from the rain last night.
(b) There are lots of new bird sounds.
(c) There are eight baby chickens hatched.
(d) The garden lettuce is coming up.
6. What frightens Ann when she is playing the piano for him?
(a) He throws a glass at her when she hits a wrong note.
(b) He comes and bangs on the piano with his fist.
(c) He bangs his cane on the floor.
(d) He falls out of his chair.
7. What does Ann decide to haul with the tractor?
(a) A large water feeding trough.
(b) Some large blocks of concrete.
(c) A few tree logs.
(d) The wood stove.
8. What does Loomis do with Faro?
(b) Plays ball with him.
(c) Teaches him tricks.
(d) Tracks Ann.
9. What does Loomis demand about dinner?
(a) That he sit at the kitchen table.
(b) That she serve him.
(d) That she set the table the same way as she did for her birthday.
10. Where is Mr. Loomis later in the evening?
(a) Passed out on the sofa.
(b) In the yard walking without a cane.
(c) Writing at the kitchen table.
(d) Passed out on the bathroom floor.
11. What does Mr. Loomis seem upset about Ann doing while he was delirious?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Taking time to write in her journal.
(c) Taking time to move the stove.
(d) Going to the library.
12. How does Ann treat her bullet wound?
(a) Washes it in the pond.
(b) She does not do anything as the bullet barely scratches her.
(c) Uses betadine and clean bandages.
(d) Uses alcohol and bandages.
13. Why does Ann think she needs to go back to the house?
(a) To collect her diary and other things.
(b) To do the farm chores.
(c) To untie Faro.
(d) To kick Loomis out of the house.
14. How many bags of fertilizer does Ann estimate are at the store?
15. What does Ann do the morning after leaving the house during the night?
(a) Writes Loomis a note.
(b) Watches Loomis from afar.
(c) Gives Loomis an ultimatum.
(d) Takes a gun to confront Loomis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flowers does Ann pick and put in Loomis' bedroom?
2. What does Ann count at Mr. Loomis' bedside?
3. What career was Ann thinking of before the war?
4. How does Ann know how to change the sheets with someone in the bed?
5. What does Loomis say about the fertilizer?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)