|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Loomis say Ann's family probably died?
(a) Nerve gas.
(b) Mob violence.
(c) Radiation poisoning.
2. What does Ann think Faro will do?
(a) Lead the man to her location.
(b) Run away again since there is a stranger at the house.
(c) Bite the man.
(d) Become friends with the man.
3. What does Ann do to the chickens before hiding out?
(b) Kills them.
(c) Puts them in small wire cages and takes them to the cave.
(d) Chases them out of their fenced in area.
4. About whom does Ann ask Loomis?
(a) His son.
(b) His wife.
5. What does Ann smell as she is gathering greens?
(a) Wild onions.
(b) Crabapple blossoms.
(c) Pear blossoms.
6. Why does Ann decide to keep the man in sight for the first two or more?
(a) To decide whether to kill him or not.
(b) To see if he discovers anything about her.
(c) To learn of his habits.
(d) To figure out a way to incapacitate him.
7. What does the man do after using the Geiger counter?
(a) Turn around to leave.
(b) Clasps his hands and looks up and prays.
(c) Take off his mask.
(d) Kneels and kisses the ground.
8. What does Ann decide she should do?
(a) Live in the tent.
(b) Cook better meals since there was another person to feed.
(c) Live in the cave.
(d) Bring Faro in the house.
9. Why doesn't Loomis go with Ann?
(a) He wants to write in his journal.
(b) He is too weak.
(c) He needs to work on generator plans.
(d) He wants to try contacting others with Ann's radio.
10. How does Loomis get there from where he started?
(a) Horseback until the horse dies.
(d) Car until he ran out of gas.
11. What intrigues the man as he is making breakfast?
(a) The sound of a squirrel chattering.
(b) The sound of a dog barking.
(c) The sounds of a chicken and cow.
(d) Smoke coming from across the valley.
12. What does Ann see when she goes and looks out of the boundaries of her valley?
(a) Smoke in three different directions.
(b) Everything is dead.
(c) A valley about 40 miles away that has signs of life.
(d) Lots of animals but no people.
13. Who was supposed to stay with Ann when her parents went exploring?
(c) Mrs. Klein.
14. What does Ann play for Mr. Loomis?
(a) Her trumpet.
(b) The guitar.
(c) The piano.
(d) Her clarinet.
15. What is Ann's first impulse when the man yells for anyone?
(a) To answer him.
(b) To shoot him.
(c) To send Faro down to him.
(d) To get up to the cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ann feel about the man being there as she gets ready to sleep that night?
2. What does Ann fear about Loomis?
3. With what information does the book open in the first sentence?
4. What does Ann think the visitor is bringing?
5. About what does Ann worry?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)