|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ann know what she states in the opening sentence?
(a) The dog herds the cows home who kick at Ann.
(b) They heard the news on the radio.
(c) Someone has been shooting a rifle.
(d) She sees smoke.
2. For what does Ann really long?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Fresh salad and greens.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her mother.
3. What does Ann decide to do about safety?
(a) She won't swim alone.
(b) She will rig up an alram system.
(c) She will hide from whoever is coming towards the valley.
(d) She will hide all the guns in the cave.
4. Whom does the man feed?
(a) The chickens.
(b) The bull.
(c) The cows.
5. How does Loomis get there from where he started?
(b) Horseback until the horse dies.
(c) Car until he ran out of gas.
6. How does Ann spend much of the next day?
(a) Planting greens.
(b) Gathering the chickens.
(c) Plowing fields with the tractor.
(d) Bringing the cows to the front pasture.
7. Why does Ann go down to the farm yard with her gun?
(a) To steal some eggs.
(b) To check on the man.
(c) To confront the man.
(d) To get Faro.
8. What does Ann fear about Loomis?
(a) He will leave.
(b) He will want to get married.
(c) He will start trying to boss her around.
(d) He might be getting delirious again.
9. Who was to come to the lab where Loomis worked?
(a) His children.
(b) The military.
(c) A panel of judges for the Noble laureate committee.
(d) The President.
10. What does Ann think should possibly happen on her 17th birthday?
(a) Trying to get pregnant.
(b) Trying to contact others in the midwest which did not get hit so badly.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Leaving the valley.
11. What is the man wearing who arrives in Ann's sight?
(a) A strange plastic suit.
(c) A military uniform.
(d) A business suit.
12. What seems to puzzle the man after he goes inside Ann's home?
(a) Faro isn't barking at the man.
(b) No one is there.
(c) There is fresh food in the cabinets.
(d) There are green plants in the sunroom.
13. What is Loomis' main health problem at this time?
(a) Sore muscles.
(b) Swollen lymph glands.
(c) Skin lesions.
14. What was the most noticeable thing about the man after he walks back to his cart?
(a) He has sores all over his face.
(b) He was very old.
(c) He was very pale.
(d) He was heavily tanned.
15. What is Ann's first impulse when the man yells for anyone?
(a) To get up to the cave.
(b) To answer him.
(c) To send Faro down to him.
(d) To shoot him.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does Ann ask Loomis?
2. What does Ann do to the chickens before hiding out?
3. Who is Dr. Kylmer?
4. What does the man do at Burden Creek?
5. What does the man set up in the front yard?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)