|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ann spend much of the next day?
(a) Planting greens.
(b) Plowing fields with the tractor.
(c) Bringing the cows to the front pasture.
(d) Gathering the chickens.
2. What does Ann decide to plant?
(a) Wheat and beans.
(b) Cabbage and corn.
(c) Corn and beans.
(d) Corn and wheat.
3. What does Ann think the visitor is bringing?
(a) Heavy equipment and/or supplies.
4. What intrigues the man as he is making breakfast?
(a) The sound of a dog barking.
(b) The sound of a squirrel chattering.
(c) Smoke coming from across the valley.
(d) The sounds of a chicken and cow.
5. Whom does the man feed?
(a) The bull.
(c) The cows.
(d) The chickens.
6. In what month does the book open?
7. Of what is the man afraid?
(a) Ann will make him leave.
(b) He will die from radiation poisoning.
(c) He does not say why he is afraid.
(d) They will not be able to live through the winter on short provisions.
8. What was the most noticeable thing about the man after he walks back to his cart?
(a) He was very pale.
(b) He has sores all over his face.
(c) He was very old.
(d) He was heavily tanned.
9. About what was Ann correct, much to Loomis' dismay?
(a) The radiation levels in the Creek.
(b) The gas pumps being inoperative.
(c) The tractor being unrepairable.
(d) The garden being about as big as she could handle.
10. About what does Ann worry?
(a) The man will leave right away.
(b) The man will eat all the chickens and there will be none left to reproduce.
(c) The man will kill one of the cows.
(d) She should have warned the man about Burden Creek.
11. What does Loomis' boss' invention do?
(a) Repels radiation.
(b) Detects a special type of radiation.
(c) Eats radiation.
(d) Absorbs radiation.
12. Who goes with Ann to gather the greens?
(b) The young bull.
(c) A barn cat.
13. What is Loomis doing when Ann returns home?
(a) Writing out instructions for a windmill.
(b) Checking the radiation levels of the Creek.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Cutting firewood.
14. Why does Ann have Loomis move into the house?
(a) To care for him more easily.
(b) So he would feel good towards her.
(c) So he could help with the household chores.
(d) She leaves him in his tent.
15. Who was to come to the lab where Loomis worked?
(a) His children.
(b) The military.
(c) A panel of judges for the Noble laureate committee.
(d) The President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What set of reading material does Ann give Loomis?
2. What inspires Ann to make a salad?
3. Where does her parents say they are going first in their explorations?
4. Why doesn't Ann use the tractor?
5. About what does Ann tell Loomis?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)