|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What set of reading material does Ann give Loomis?
(a) A couple carpentry books.
(b) A stack of Mother Earth magazines.
(c) The Farmer's Almanacs from the last twenty-five years.
(d) The Farmer's Mechanic.
2. What was John Loomis' occupation?
3. With what information does the book open in the first sentence?
(a) Ann and her family are alone in the valley.
(b) The cows are acting strangely.
(c) There was a nuclear holocaust.
(d) Someone is coming.
4. Why doesn't Ann use the tractor?
(a) She does not know how to get it running.
(b) She needs gas.
(c) It is too big for the size of garden she is making.
(d) It has flat tires.
5. What is the man wearing who arrives in Ann's sight?
(a) A business suit.
(b) A military uniform.
(d) A strange plastic suit.
6. What does Ann decide to do about safety?
(a) She won't swim alone.
(b) She will hide all the guns in the cave.
(c) She will rig up an alram system.
(d) She will hide from whoever is coming towards the valley.
7. Why does Ann go down to the farm yard with her gun?
(a) To confront the man.
(b) To steal some eggs.
(c) To get Faro.
(d) To check on the man.
8. Why doesn't Loomis go with Ann?
(a) He needs to work on generator plans.
(b) He wants to write in his journal.
(c) He wants to try contacting others with Ann's radio.
(d) He is too weak.
9. What intrigues the man as he is making breakfast?
(a) The sounds of a chicken and cow.
(b) Smoke coming from across the valley.
(c) The sound of a dog barking.
(d) The sound of a squirrel chattering.
10. What animal ran off after Ann's family went exploring?
(a) The cat.
(b) The donkey.
(c) The dog.
(d) The horse.
11. What seems to puzzle the man after he goes inside Ann's home?
(a) Faro isn't barking at the man.
(b) No one is there.
(c) There are green plants in the sunroom.
(d) There is fresh food in the cabinets.
12. What had the team just completed before the war?
(a) A suit made of a silk like material that the amoeba creates.
(b) A suit of the special metal.
(c) A suit made of kevlar.
(d) A suit of the polymer.
13. How many people has Loomis met on his journey?
(a) None besides Ann.
(b) Several thousand.
(c) Two others besides Ann.
(d) Less than a dozen.
14. What does the man notice in Burden Creek?
(a) A lack of animal life in the creek.
(b) Lots of algae.
(c) Some turtles.
(d) Large mouth bass.
15. How does Ann feel about the man being there as she gets ready to sleep that night?
(d) Fearful but companionable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ann decide to keep the man in sight for the first two or more?
2. What would Ann like to have in a church if she ever got married?
3. What does Ann worry about if the stranger is still here in winter?
4. What did the man lay on top of his cart?
5. What does Ann see when she goes and looks out of the boundaries of her valley?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)