|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Ann tell Loomis?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her cellar with lots of canned goods.
(c) Her radio that is still working.
(d) Her secret diary.
2. What does Ann worry about if the stranger is still here in winter?
(a) Having enough food if feeding two.
(b) Having enough wood.
(c) Sharing a house with a stranger.
(d) Surviving winter in a cave.
3. What does the man set up in the front yard?
(a) A radio transmitter.
(b) A hand-cranked generator.
(c) A tent.
(d) A water purification filter.
4. Why doesn't Loomis go with Ann?
(a) He wants to write in his journal.
(b) He needs to work on generator plans.
(c) He is too weak.
(d) He wants to try contacting others with Ann's radio.
5. About how far is Claypole Ridge?
(a) Over 50 miles away.
(b) 2 miles.
(c) 15 miles.
(d) 32 miles.
6. What set of reading material does Ann give Loomis?
(a) The Farmer's Mechanic.
(b) A stack of Mother Earth magazines.
(c) A couple carpentry books.
(d) The Farmer's Almanacs from the last twenty-five years.
7. What did Ann and her brother realize about Burden Creek?
(a) It's flow changed.
(b) It is poisoned.
(c) It is good water.
(d) It could be use to generate electricity.
8. What does Ann hope?
(a) The Creek is no longer radioactive.
(b) The calf will keep the cow from getting uncomfortable with too much milk.
(c) Faro will not show up.
(d) The cows will be too skittish to get near the man.
9. What does Ann think the visitor is bringing?
(c) Heavy equipment and/or supplies.
10. How does Ann know what she states in the opening sentence?
(a) Someone has been shooting a rifle.
(b) They heard the news on the radio.
(c) The dog herds the cows home who kick at Ann.
(d) She sees smoke.
11. Where has Ann been on the morning of the opening of the book?
(a) In the hayloft.
(b) The doctor's office.
12. Where is the man?
(b) In his tent unconscious.
(c) Swimming in the pond.
(d) Gathering eggs.
13. What animal ran off after Ann's family went exploring?
(a) The dog.
(b) The donkey.
(c) The horse.
(d) The cat.
14. What is Ann's first impulse when the man yells for anyone?
(a) To answer him.
(b) To get up to the cave.
(c) To shoot him.
(d) To send Faro down to him.
15. What does Faro point to in the field?
(a) A dove.
(b) A grouse.
(c) A quail.
(d) A rabbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man do at the pond?
2. How many people has Loomis met on his journey?
3. Of what does Loomis say Ann's family probably died?
4. How does Loomis get there from where he started?
5. Why does Ann decide to hide from a visitor?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)