|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man wearing who arrives in Ann's sight?
(a) A strange plastic suit.
(b) A military uniform.
(d) A business suit.
2. With what information does the book open in the first sentence?
(a) Someone is coming.
(b) There was a nuclear holocaust.
(c) The cows are acting strangely.
(d) Ann and her family are alone in the valley.
3. What had the team just completed before the war?
(a) A suit of the polymer.
(b) A suit of the special metal.
(c) A suit made of kevlar.
(d) A suit made of a silk like material that the amoeba creates.
4. What does Ann decide to plant?
(a) Corn and beans.
(b) Wheat and beans.
(c) Corn and wheat.
(d) Cabbage and corn.
5. What does Ann fear about Loomis?
(a) He will leave.
(b) He will want to get married.
(c) He will start trying to boss her around.
(d) He might be getting delirious again.
6. Who goes with Ann to gather the greens?
(a) A barn cat.
(d) The young bull.
7. Where is Loomis from?
(b) North Platte.
8. What does Ann worry about if the stranger is still here in winter?
(a) Having enough food if feeding two.
(b) Sharing a house with a stranger.
(c) Surviving winter in a cave.
(d) Having enough wood.
9. About what does Ann worry?
(a) The man will leave right away.
(b) The man will kill one of the cows.
(c) She should have warned the man about Burden Creek.
(d) The man will eat all the chickens and there will be none left to reproduce.
10. What does the man do at the pond?
(b) Takes a reading with some kind of instrument.
(c) Goes fishing.
(d) Puts a chemical in the water.
11. What does Ann use to gather greens?
(a) A wheelbarrow.
(b) A plastic grocery bag.
(c) A rolling suitcase.
(d) The basket her mother always used.
12. What does Loomis think the Creek water could do?
(a) Eventually become harmless.
(b) Keep trespassers away.
(c) Generate electricity.
(d) Pollute the pond.
13. After four days, what does Loomis' temperature mean?
(a) He is pretty much cured.
(b) He will get sicker, but will most likely survive.
(c) He has the worse form of radiation.
(d) He is still in the interim period.
14. Who was to come to the lab where Loomis worked?
(a) The military.
(b) The President.
(c) His children.
(d) A panel of judges for the Noble laureate committee.
15. What does the man do after using the Geiger counter?
(a) Clasps his hands and looks up and prays.
(b) Turn around to leave.
(c) Kneels and kisses the ground.
(d) Take off his mask.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man notice in Burden Creek?
2. Where has Ann been on the morning of the opening of the book?
3. What did Loomis' boss invent?
4. What does Ann think should possibly happen on her 17th birthday?
5. What is Loomis doing when Ann returns home?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)