|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Loomis' boss invent?
(a) A polymer.
(b) An amoeba.
(c) A new kind of Geiger counter.
(d) A new kind of metal.
2. Why does Ann go down to the farm yard with her gun?
(a) To check on the man.
(b) To steal some eggs.
(c) To confront the man.
(d) To get Faro.
3. Why does Ann have Loomis move into the house?
(a) She leaves him in his tent.
(b) So he would feel good towards her.
(c) To care for him more easily.
(d) So he could help with the household chores.
4. About how far is Claypole Ridge?
(a) 15 miles.
(b) 2 miles.
(c) 32 miles.
(d) Over 50 miles away.
5. Why does Ann begin recording the events of her day?
(a) Her teacher at school suggests it is a good thing to do.
(b) Her mother asks her to do so just before her mother dies.
(c) She cannot remember the details otherwise.
(d) Her father appoints her as the historian.
6. What seems to puzzle the man after he goes inside Ann's home?
(a) Faro isn't barking at the man.
(b) No one is there.
(c) There is fresh food in the cabinets.
(d) There are green plants in the sunroom.
7. What happens when Ann asks him about the person in question 63?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He says he does not want to talk about it.
(c) He drops his glass of water.
(d) He starts sobbing.
8. About what does Ann tell Loomis?
(a) Her cellar with lots of canned goods.
(b) Her secret diary.
(c) Her radio that is still working.
(d) Her family.
9. Who was to come to the lab where Loomis worked?
(a) His children.
(b) The President.
(c) The military.
(d) A panel of judges for the Noble laureate committee.
10. Since it is June, what is urgent that Ann do?
(a) Get the garden going.
(b) Can some of her garden asap.
(c) Get the cow pregnant again.
(d) Let the rooster have access to the chickens.
11. How does Ann know what she states in the opening sentence?
(a) She sees smoke.
(b) Someone has been shooting a rifle.
(c) They heard the news on the radio.
(d) The dog herds the cows home who kick at Ann.
12. What does the visitor do when he first arrives over a hill and sees the green valley?
(a) He stands and stares for a few minutes.
(b) He runs forward waving his arms.
(c) He sobs hysterically.
(d) He drops to his knees and prays.
13. What does Ann think about in a flashback to right after the war?
(a) See a terrible flash of light and hearing the ground shake.
(b) The radio going dead.
(c) Her family deciding to go out and check things again.
(d) Her father feeling ill and then dying.
14. What does Ann smell as she is gathering greens?
(a) Wild onions.
(b) Pear blossoms.
(c) Crabapple blossoms.
15. Who goes with Ann to gather the greens?
(a) A barn cat.
(c) The young bull.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Loomis' main health problem at this time?
2. What had the team just completed before the war?
3. What does Ann decide to plant?
4. What does Ann observe as she sits in her cave at night?
5. How does Ann spend much of the next day?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)