|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Ann really long?
(a) Her best friend.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Fresh salad and greens.
2. Who goes with Ann to gather the greens?
(b) A barn cat.
(d) The young bull.
3. What does Loomis say about the night the bombs fall?
(a) He and seven others were in the lab when the bombs fell.
(b) He was on his way to pick up his children.
(c) He is alone in the lab.
(d) He and his wife were talking on the phone when it goes dead.
4. In addition to the suit, what does Loomis' group create that enables Loomis to survive a search for survivors?
(a) A fillter to cleanse water of radiation.
(b) An invisible dome to keep fallout off his cart and supplies.
(c) A filter to make water usuable.
5. What seems to puzzle the man after he goes inside Ann's home?
(a) Faro isn't barking at the man.
(b) No one is there.
(c) There is fresh food in the cabinets.
(d) There are green plants in the sunroom.
6. What does Ann worry about if the stranger is still here in winter?
(a) Surviving winter in a cave.
(b) Having enough food if feeding two.
(c) Sharing a house with a stranger.
(d) Having enough wood.
7. How does Ann spend much of the next day?
(a) Plowing fields with the tractor.
(b) Gathering the chickens.
(c) Bringing the cows to the front pasture.
(d) Planting greens.
8. How long was the war?
(a) They do not know.
(b) A day.
(c) A couple months.
(d) A week.
9. About what does Ann worry?
(a) The man will leave right away.
(b) She should have warned the man about Burden Creek.
(c) The man will eat all the chickens and there will be none left to reproduce.
(d) The man will kill one of the cows.
10. From where is the pond fed?
(a) An underground spring.
(b) Burden Creek.
(c) A well that is not capped.
(d) Ann does not know.
11. What is the man wearing who arrives in Ann's sight?
(a) A strange plastic suit.
(b) A business suit.
(c) A military uniform.
12. What is Loomis' main health problem at this time?
(a) Swollen lymph glands.
(c) Sore muscles.
(d) Skin lesions.
13. What does Faro point to in the field?
(a) A dove.
(b) A quail.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A grouse.
14. In what month does the book open?
15. What is Loomis doing when Ann returns home?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Writing out instructions for a windmill.
(c) Cutting firewood.
(d) Checking the radiation levels of the Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ann have Loomis move into the house?
2. Why doesn't Loomis go with Ann?
3. Of what is the man afraid?
4. With what information does the book open in the first sentence?
5. What does Ann think should possibly happen on her 17th birthday?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)