|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ann feel about the man being there as she gets ready to sleep that night?
(b) Fearful but companionable.
2. What does Ann think Faro will do?
(a) Become friends with the man.
(b) Run away again since there is a stranger at the house.
(c) Bite the man.
(d) Lead the man to her location.
3. What does Ann see when she goes and looks out of the boundaries of her valley?
(a) Smoke in three different directions.
(b) Lots of animals but no people.
(c) A valley about 40 miles away that has signs of life.
(d) Everything is dead.
4. What does Ann smell as she is gathering greens?
(a) Wild onions.
(b) Crabapple blossoms.
(d) Pear blossoms.
5. Of what does Loomis say Ann's family probably died?
(a) Mob violence.
(c) Radiation poisoning.
(d) Nerve gas.
6. Who returns to the valley?
(b) No one.
(c) The Kleins.
7. From where is the pond fed?
(a) Burden Creek.
(b) Ann does not know.
(c) A well that is not capped.
(d) An underground spring.
8. Whom does the man feed?
(a) The bull.
(b) The chickens.
(c) The cows.
9. After four days, what does Loomis' temperature mean?
(a) He is pretty much cured.
(b) He is still in the interim period.
(c) He has the worse form of radiation.
(d) He will get sicker, but will most likely survive.
10. What did the man lay on top of his cart?
(a) A gun.
(b) Another Geiger counter.
(c) A dog biscuit.
(d) An oxygen tank.
11. Why does Ann decide to hide from a visitor?
(a) She has no decent clothes.
(b) She wants to surprise them.
(c) She decides there are worse things than being alone.
(d) She does not want to scare the person.
12. What intrigues the man as he is making breakfast?
(a) The sound of a dog barking.
(b) The sound of a squirrel chattering.
(c) Smoke coming from across the valley.
(d) The sounds of a chicken and cow.
13. About how far is Claypole Ridge?
(a) 15 miles.
(b) Over 50 miles away.
(c) 32 miles.
(d) 2 miles.
14. When Ann's father returns from scouting the first time he went out, what does he report finding?
(a) He never returned from his scouting expedition.
(b) Only a few have died around a 50 mile radius of their place.
(c) Lots of dead bodies.
(d) Some areas still have a few people.
15. Why doesn't Ann use the tractor?
(a) It is too big for the size of garden she is making.
(b) She needs gas.
(c) It has flat tires.
(d) She does not know how to get it running.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ann know what she states in the opening sentence?
2. What does Ann decide she should do?
3. In what month does the book open?
4. For what is Loomis searching?
5. What does Ann hope?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)