|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ann take the cows and young bull?
(a) To a far pasture.
(b) No where.
(c) To the neighobor's farm.
(d) To the cave.
2. What did the man lay on top of his cart?
(a) A dog biscuit.
(b) An oxygen tank.
(c) Another Geiger counter.
(d) A gun.
3. What does Loomis think the Creek water could do?
(a) Keep trespassers away.
(b) Pollute the pond.
(c) Generate electricity.
(d) Eventually become harmless.
4. What is the man wearing who arrives in Ann's sight?
(a) A strange plastic suit.
(b) A military uniform.
(c) A business suit.
5. What was the most noticeable thing about the man after he walks back to his cart?
(a) He was very old.
(b) He was very pale.
(c) He was heavily tanned.
(d) He has sores all over his face.
6. What does Ann decide to plant?
(a) Corn and beans.
(b) Wheat and beans.
(c) Cabbage and corn.
(d) Corn and wheat.
7. In what month does the book open?
8. What does Ann do to the chickens before hiding out?
(a) Kills them.
(b) Puts them in small wire cages and takes them to the cave.
(d) Chases them out of their fenced in area.
9. What intrigues the man as he is making breakfast?
(a) The sound of a squirrel chattering.
(b) Smoke coming from across the valley.
(c) The sound of a dog barking.
(d) The sounds of a chicken and cow.
10. In addition to the suit, what does Loomis' group create that enables Loomis to survive a search for survivors?
(a) A filter to make water usuable.
(b) A fillter to cleanse water of radiation.
(d) An invisible dome to keep fallout off his cart and supplies.
11. Why doesn't Loomis go with Ann?
(a) He wants to try contacting others with Ann's radio.
(b) He wants to write in his journal.
(c) He needs to work on generator plans.
(d) He is too weak.
12. Who was to come to the lab where Loomis worked?
(a) The President.
(b) A panel of judges for the Noble laureate committee.
(c) His children.
(d) The military.
13. What is Loomis doing when Ann returns home?
(a) Writing out instructions for a windmill.
(b) Checking the radiation levels of the Creek.
(c) Cutting firewood.
(d) Playing the piano.
14. What is Ann's first impulse when the man yells for anyone?
(a) To send Faro down to him.
(b) To answer him.
(c) To shoot him.
(d) To get up to the cave.
15. What does Ann decide she should do?
(a) Bring Faro in the house.
(b) Cook better meals since there was another person to feed.
(c) Live in the cave.
(d) Live in the tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann think should possibly happen on her 17th birthday?
2. What doesn't Ann think the man is in a car?
3. With what information does the book open in the first sentence?
4. About whom does Ann ask Loomis?
5. Where does her parents say they are going first in their explorations?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)