|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ann begin recording the events of her day?
(a) Her mother asks her to do so just before her mother dies.
(b) She cannot remember the details otherwise.
(c) Her teacher at school suggests it is a good thing to do.
(d) Her father appoints her as the historian.
2. When Ann's father returns from scouting the first time he went out, what does he report finding?
(a) Some areas still have a few people.
(b) He never returned from his scouting expedition.
(c) Only a few have died around a 50 mile radius of their place.
(d) Lots of dead bodies.
3. Who goes with Ann to gather the greens?
(a) A barn cat.
(b) The young bull.
4. What does Ann decide to plant?
(a) Wheat and beans.
(b) Corn and beans.
(c) Cabbage and corn.
(d) Corn and wheat.
5. Where does Ann take the cows and young bull?
(a) To a far pasture.
(b) No where.
(c) To the neighobor's farm.
(d) To the cave.
6. Who was supposed to stay with Ann when her parents went exploring?
(b) Mrs. Klein.
7. Of what does Loomis say Ann's family probably died?
(a) Nerve gas.
(b) Mob violence.
(d) Radiation poisoning.
8. What does Loomis' boss' invention do?
(a) Detects a special type of radiation.
(b) Absorbs radiation.
(c) Repels radiation.
(d) Eats radiation.
9. For what does Ann really long?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Fresh salad and greens.
10. What was the most noticeable thing about the man after he walks back to his cart?
(a) He was very old.
(b) He was heavily tanned.
(c) He was very pale.
(d) He has sores all over his face.
11. Who is Dr. Kylmer?
(a) Loomis' best friend.
(b) A man who invented a special radiation counter.
(c) A man who worked with Edward.
(d) Loomis' brother-in-law.
12. How does Ann feel about the man being there as she gets ready to sleep that night?
(b) Fearful but companionable.
13. With what information does the book open in the first sentence?
(a) Ann and her family are alone in the valley.
(b) Someone is coming.
(c) There was a nuclear holocaust.
(d) The cows are acting strangely.
14. What did Loomis' boss invent?
(a) A new kind of Geiger counter.
(b) A new kind of metal.
(c) A polymer.
(d) An amoeba.
15. What does Ann smell as she is gathering greens?
(a) Crabapple blossoms.
(b) Pear blossoms.
(c) Wild onions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann worry about if the stranger is still here in winter?
2. From where is the pond fed?
3. What does Ann play for Mr. Loomis?
4. Where does her parents say they are going first in their explorations?
5. What does Ann think about in a flashback to right after the war?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)