1. With what information does the book open in the first sentence?
(a) There was a nuclear holocaust.
(b) Someone is coming.
(c) The cows are acting strangely.
(d) Ann and her family are alone in the valley.
2. Where has Ann been on the morning of the opening of the book?
(a) In the hayloft.
(b) The doctor's office.
3. How does Ann know what she states in the opening sentence?
(a) Someone has been shooting a rifle.
(b) She sees smoke.
(c) The dog herds the cows home who kick at Ann.
(d) They heard the news on the radio.
4. About how far is Claypole Ridge?
(a) 15 miles.
(b) Over 50 miles away.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) 32 miles.
5. When Ann's father returns from scouting the first time he went out, what does he report finding?
(a) Only a few have died around a 50 mile radius of their place.
(b) Some areas still have a few people.
(c) Lots of dead bodies.
(d) He never returned from his scouting expedition.
This section contains 5,162 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)