|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only other time Lily Dale claims to have deceived Will?
2. How does Lily Dale say she deceived Will?
3. Why can Etta Doris no longer work?
4. What does the young man say to Lily Dale about the day Bill went down in the water?
5. What does Will say he lied to Lily Dale about?
Essay Topic 1
Horton Foote often said that nothing is more important in his work than a sense of place. Write an essay exploring the influence of the setting of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How is Houston influential? What about the Kidder's house? What about Sunshine produce?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the roles of the maids in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How are they treated? What does their status seem to be? How does the talk of Disappointment Clubs highlight the role of the maids in the play? How does the generational difference between Clara and Etta Doris parallel other generational differences in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lily Dale? What drives her? What makes her sweet and charming one minute and perfectly self-centered the next? How does she contribute to Will's downfall?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)