|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will say he lied to Lily Dale about?
2. Pete says Carson reminds him of whom?
3. When is Will's meeting at Sunshine produce?
4. Etta Doris mistakes Pete for whom?
5. What does Pete decide to do after talking with Carson about Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What all does Etta Doris say is wrong with her?
2. What does Lily Dale initially confess to doing with Mary Cunningham?
3. What does Will call Tom about?
4. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
5. Will runs into Ted Cleveland, Jr. at the bank. What do he and Will discuss?
6. How is it that Pete decides to take a trip to Atlanta?
7. How does Will's meeting at the Bank go?
8. Why does Will refuse to go outside and speak to the young man from Atlanta?
9. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
10. What does Carson say about the photograph of Bill that Lily Dale and Will have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between Will and Lily Dale Kidder in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does their relationship change over the course of the play? What events precipitate this change? How are Will and Lily Dale each different at the end of the play? In what ways are they the same?
Essay Topic 2
Choose another southern playwright or author whose works you enjoy. Write an essay comparing and contrasting one of your chosen writer's works with Horton Foote's THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Discuss differences and similarities in plot, character and style, citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
"The Lord giveth and He taketh away." Write an essay defending or refuting this as the primary theme of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)