|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man at the bank say the meeting could not have been conducted over the phone?
2. Why does Will refuse to speak to the young man from Atlanta?
3. How does the young man respond to being told to go?
4. Who is standing in the drive when Lily Dale pulls her car out?
5. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Horton Foote often said that nothing is more important in his work than a sense of place. Write an essay exploring the influence of the setting of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How is Houston influential? What about the Kidder's house? What about Sunshine produce?
Essay Topic 2
Choose another southern playwright or author whose works you enjoy. Write an essay comparing and contrasting one of your chosen writer's works with Horton Foote's THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Discuss differences and similarities in plot, character and style, citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the roles of the maids in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How are they treated? What does their status seem to be? How does the talk of Disappointment Clubs highlight the role of the maids in the play? How does the generational difference between Clara and Etta Doris parallel other generational differences in the play?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)