|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete say before he and Carson leave?
2. What does Will say his meeting at the bank was?
3. What family does the young man from Atlanta claim to have?
4. What "one last favor" does Lily Dale ask of Will?
5. Pete is loaning $5,000 to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sacrifices do Lily Dale and Will propose in order to get by?
2. What does Carson say about the photograph of Bill that Lily Dale and Will have?
3. Will runs into Ted Cleveland, Jr. at the bank. What do he and Will discuss?
4. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
5. What conversation about Bill do Will and Lily Dale finally have?
6. How is it that Pete decides to take a trip to Atlanta?
7. What does Clara find out for Lily Dale about the Disappointment Clubs?
8. What holds up Pete and Carson momentarily as they are leaving for Atlanta?
9. How does Clara help Lily Dale remember Etta Doris?
10. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the roles of the maids in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How are they treated? What does their status seem to be? How does the talk of Disappointment Clubs highlight the role of the maids in the play? How does the generational difference between Clara and Etta Doris parallel other generational differences in the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is Carson's function in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? What does he represent for Pete? What does he represent for Lily Dale and Will? How does Foote use him to advance the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the theme of loyalty and its significance in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does it influence the relationship between Will and Lily Dale? Will and Ted? Will and Pete? How does Foote employ the theme to drive his characters' actions?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)