|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete promise to do when he gets to Atlanta?
2. Where does Carson say he used to go every night when he lived with Bill?
3. What does the doctor say about Will's trip to the bank?
4. Where is the young man as of Lily Dale's conversation with Clara?
5. What does Carson tell Pete about the picture of Bill that Will and Lily Dale have?
Short Essay Questions
1. After recounting his meeting at the bank, Will lies down on the sofa and closes his eyes. How is he interrupted?
2. What do Lily Dale and Will argue about in this scene?
3. Why does Will refuse to go outside and speak to the young man from Atlanta?
4. How does the young man from Atlanta get Lily Dale to talk to him?
5. Why does Lily Dale no longer see Mary Cunningham?
6. What is the rest of the Mary Cunningham story?
7. What sacrifices do Lily Dale and Will propose in order to get by?
8. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
9. Describe Lily Dale's meeting with Etta Doris.
10. What does the young man from Atlanta say when Lily Dale tells him what Carson said about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Great mystery surrounds Bill's signing over of his father's checks to the young man from Atlanta. Why do you think Bill gave his roommate all the money his father sent him? Build a case using specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is Pete's role in the story? How does he function in when we first encounter him? How does his role evolve? In what ways is he provided for and in what ways is he the provider in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)