|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Will think he failed Bill?
2. Why does Pete say she had to get up so early?
3. When is Will's meeting at Sunshine produce?
4. What does Clara say about Pete and Carson?
5. Where does Lily Dale say she and Will lived when Etta Doris worked for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young man from Atlanta get Lily Dale to talk to him?
2. What holds up Pete and Carson momentarily as they are leaving for Atlanta?
3. How is it that Pete decides to take a trip to Atlanta?
4. What confession does Will make to Lily Dale after he tells her about the courtesy call at the bank?
5. What does Carson say about the photograph of Bill that Lily Dale and Will have?
6. How does Will feel about his conversation with Ted, Jr. once he gets home?
7. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
8. What does Will call Tom about?
9. What is Will's manner with Etta Doris?
10. After recounting his meeting at the bank, Will lies down on the sofa and closes his eyes. How is he interrupted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Horton Foote often said that nothing is more important in his work than a sense of place. Write an essay exploring the influence of the setting of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How is Houston influential? What about the Kidder's house? What about Sunshine produce?
Essay Topic 2
Will begins the play as a wealthy and professionally successful man. He ends the play quite differently. Write an essay illuminating the nature of Will's transformation. How do the external changes in Will's life shape him on the inside?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Will Kidder with another tragic character you have encountered in drama or literature (Willy Loman, for example). Compare and contrast the qualities of the these characters. How is Will's tragic fall classic. In what ways is it totally unique?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)