|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lily Dale say she has stopped seeing Mary Cunningham?
2. What does Clara say about Pete and Carson?
3. What does Etta Doris say it seems is happening to all the old buildings in Houston?
4. What does Will say his meeting at the bank was?
5. What does Will ask Carson to do before he and Pete leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carson say about the photograph of Bill that Lily Dale and Will have?
2. How does Will feel about his conversation with Ted, Jr. once he gets home?
3. Will runs into Ted Cleveland, Jr. at the bank. What do he and Will discuss?
4. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
5. What sacrifices do Lily Dale and Will propose in order to get by?
6. Who delivers a message from the young man from Atlanta?
7. Why does Lily Dale no longer see Mary Cunningham?
8. What all does Etta Doris say is wrong with her?
9. How does the young man from Atlanta get Lily Dale to talk to him?
10. What does Will call Tom about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Will Kidder with another tragic character you have encountered in drama or literature (Willy Loman, for example). Compare and contrast the qualities of the these characters. How is Will's tragic fall classic. In what ways is it totally unique?
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA is divided into six scenes. Discuss the influence of the play's structure on the narrative. How does the story develop from scene to scene. Why do you think Foote chose this six scene structure?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lily Dale? What drives her? What makes her sweet and charming one minute and perfectly self-centered the next? How does she contribute to Will's downfall?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)