|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carson say when Will asks if they will be seeing the young man again?
2. What does Will say about his behavior toward Lily Dale?
3. How is Will feeling at the end of the scene?
4. Where is the young man as of Lily Dale's conversation with Clara?
5. What does Carson tell Pete about the picture of Bill that Will and Lily Dale have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will refuse to go outside and speak to the young man from Atlanta?
2. What does Will say to Carson and Pete about the way he has been treating his wife?
3. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
4. What all does Etta Doris say is wrong with her?
5. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
6. What does Will call Tom about?
7. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
8. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
9. What does the young man from Atlanta say when Lily Dale tells him what Carson said about him?
10. What does Clara find out for Lily Dale about the Disappointment Clubs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the theme of deception in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Address the following:
1) The ways in which Lily Dale deceives Will.
2) The ways in which Will deceives Lily Dale.
3) They ways in which the young man from Atlanta deceives everyone.
How does Foote employ this theme to keep the story moving a ratchet up dramatic tension?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Will Kidder with another tragic character you have encountered in drama or literature (Willy Loman, for example). Compare and contrast the qualities of the these characters. How is Will's tragic fall classic. In what ways is it totally unique?
Essay Topic 3
What is Carson's function in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? What does he represent for Pete? What does he represent for Lily Dale and Will? How does Foote use him to advance the plot?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)