|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Will call?
2. Who does the young man from Atlanta say wanted to room with him at the YMCA.
3. Why does Will call Tom?
4. What does Will tell Lily Dale to tell the young man?
5. What does Will say he lied to Lily Dale about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
2. How does Will feel about his conversation with Ted, Jr. once he gets home?
3. After recounting his meeting at the bank, Will lies down on the sofa and closes his eyes. How is he interrupted?
4. What does the young man from Atlanta say when Lily Dale tells him what Carson said about him?
5. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
6. What sacrifices do Lily Dale and Will propose in order to get by?
7. What does Will call Tom about?
8. What holds up Pete and Carson momentarily as they are leaving for Atlanta?
9. How is it that Pete decides to take a trip to Atlanta?
10. What is Will's manner with Etta Doris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Choose another southern playwright or author whose works you enjoy. Write an essay comparing and contrasting one of your chosen writer's works with Horton Foote's THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Discuss differences and similarities in plot, character and style, citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lily Dale? What drives her? What makes her sweet and charming one minute and perfectly self-centered the next? How does she contribute to Will's downfall?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)