|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lily Dale say she has been seeing again?
2. Why does Will refuse to speak to the young man from Atlanta?
3. How long does Lily Dale say Etta Doris worked for them?
4. What does Etta Doris say it seems is happening to all the old buildings in Houston?
5. Who is standing in the drive when Lily Dale pulls her car out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
2. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
3. What is the rest of the Mary Cunningham story?
4. How does Will's meeting at the Bank go?
5. How does Pete describe his late wife's cooking habits?
6. What is Will's manner with Etta Doris?
7. What does Will say to Carson and Pete about the way he has been treating his wife?
8. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
9. What all does Etta Doris say is wrong with her?
10. How is it that Pete decides to take a trip to Atlanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lily Dale? What drives her? What makes her sweet and charming one minute and perfectly self-centered the next? How does she contribute to Will's downfall?
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the theme of loyalty and its significance in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does it influence the relationship between Will and Lily Dale? Will and Ted? Will and Pete? How does Foote employ the theme to drive his characters' actions?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)