|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pete says Carson reminds him of whom?
2. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
3. What bank is Will going to downtown?
4. What is the first thing Will says to Etta Doris?
5. What does the doctor say about Will's trip to the bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will's meeting at the Bank go?
2. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
3. What does the young man from Atlanta say when Lily Dale tells him what Carson said about him?
4. What do Lily Dale and Will argue about in this scene?
5. What does Clara find out for Lily Dale about the Disappointment Clubs?
6. After recounting his meeting at the bank, Will lies down on the sofa and closes his eyes. How is he interrupted?
7. Why does Lily Dale no longer see Mary Cunningham?
8. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
9. What conversation about Bill do Will and Lily Dale finally have?
10. What holds up Pete and Carson momentarily as they are leaving for Atlanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Will Kidder with another tragic character you have encountered in drama or literature (Willy Loman, for example). Compare and contrast the qualities of the these characters. How is Will's tragic fall classic. In what ways is it totally unique?
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What is Carson's function in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? What does he represent for Pete? What does he represent for Lily Dale and Will? How does Foote use him to advance the plot?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)