Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Will says to Tom?
2. What family does the young man from Atlanta claim to have?
3. Why does Will refuse to speak to the young man from Atlanta?
4. What bank is Will going to downtown?
5. When Pete asks if Will wants to eat, what does Will say?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the theme of deception in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Address the following:
1) The ways in which Lily Dale deceives Will.
2) The ways in which Will deceives Lily Dale.
3) They ways in which the young man from Atlanta deceives everyone.
How does Foote employ this theme to keep the story moving a ratchet up dramatic tension?
Essay Topic 2
Will learns in the first scene that Ted is replacing him at the company with Tom Jackson, Will's friend and confidant. In what way does Tom represent the changing times in 1950s Houston? How is Tom's promotion sweet for Will? How is it bitter?
Essay Topic 3
Frequently in the THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA, Lily Dale will reveal new and dramatic information to Clara in confidence, and then, pages later, other characters will discover the information. Write an essay exploring the relationship between Clara and Lily Dale. In what ways are they equals? In what ways are they not? How does Foote use this relationship to move the story forward and increase dramatic tension?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)