|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will say about his behavior toward Lily Dale?
2. What does Pete promise to do when he gets to Atlanta?
3. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
4. Why is Will going to the bank?
5. Who is standing in the drive when Lily Dale pulls her car out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lily Dale's meeting with Etta Doris.
2. What all does Etta Doris say is wrong with her?
3. What does Will call Tom about?
4. What does Will say to Carson and Pete about the way he has been treating his wife?
5. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
6. How does the young man from Atlanta get Lily Dale to talk to him?
7. What does the young man from Atlanta say when Lily Dale tells him what Carson said about him?
8. What do Lily Dale and Will argue about in this scene?
9. What holds up Pete and Carson momentarily as they are leaving for Atlanta?
10. What is Will's manner with Etta Doris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Horton Foote often said that nothing is more important in his work than a sense of place. Write an essay exploring the influence of the setting of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How is Houston influential? What about the Kidder's house? What about Sunshine produce?
Essay Topic 2
What is Carson's function in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? What does he represent for Pete? What does he represent for Lily Dale and Will? How does Foote use him to advance the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Will begins the play as a wealthy and professionally successful man. He ends the play quite differently. Write an essay illuminating the nature of Will's transformation. How do the external changes in Will's life shape him on the inside?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)