|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily Dale ask Pete when Will leaves to get dressed for his trip to the bank?
2. How does the young man respond to being told to go?
3. What does Lily Dale say when Will tells her the young man from Atlanta is a liar?
4. Pete says Carson reminds him of whom?
5. What does Clara's friend tell her about Eleanor Roosevelt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lily Dale no longer see Mary Cunningham?
2. Why does Will refuse to go outside and speak to the young man from Atlanta?
3. What does Will say to Carson and Pete about the way he has been treating his wife?
4. What holds up Pete and Carson momentarily as they are leaving for Atlanta?
5. Describe Lily Dale's meeting with Etta Doris.
6. Who delivers a message from the young man from Atlanta?
7. How does Will's meeting at the Bank go?
8. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
9. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
10. What does Clara find out for Lily Dale about the Disappointment Clubs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the theme of loyalty and its significance in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does it influence the relationship between Will and Lily Dale? Will and Ted? Will and Pete? How does Foote employ the theme to drive his characters' actions?
Essay Topic 2
What is Pete's role in the story? How does he function in when we first encounter him? How does his role evolve? In what ways is he provided for and in what ways is he the provider in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA?
Essay Topic 3
Frequently in the THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA, Lily Dale will reveal new and dramatic information to Clara in confidence, and then, pages later, other characters will discover the information. Write an essay exploring the relationship between Clara and Lily Dale. In what ways are they equals? In what ways are they not? How does Foote use this relationship to move the story forward and increase dramatic tension?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)