|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will tell Lily Dale to tell the young man?
2. What bank is Will going to downtown?
3. What does Lily Dale say when Will tells her the young man from Atlanta is a liar?
4. Where is the young man as of Lily Dale's conversation with Clara?
5. What does Pete tell Will about the money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who delivers a message from the young man from Atlanta?
2. What conversation about Bill do Will and Lily Dale finally have?
3. What confession does Will make to Lily Dale after he tells her about the courtesy call at the bank?
4. What does Carson say about the photograph of Bill that Lily Dale and Will have?
5. How is it that Pete decides to take a trip to Atlanta?
6. How does Pete describe his late wife's cooking habits?
7. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
8. What does Will say to Carson and Pete about the way he has been treating his wife?
9. How does Clara help Lily Dale remember Etta Doris?
10. Why does Lily Dale no longer see Mary Cunningham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Bill in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? How is his death connected to the action of the play? How does Lily Dale's relationship with his memory change over the course of the play? How does Will's?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the theme of loyalty and its significance in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does it influence the relationship between Will and Lily Dale? Will and Ted? Will and Pete? How does Foote employ the theme to drive his characters' actions?
Essay Topic 3
Horton Foote often said that nothing is more important in his work than a sense of place. Write an essay exploring the influence of the setting of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How is Houston influential? What about the Kidder's house? What about Sunshine produce?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)