|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only other time Lily Dale claims to have deceived Will?
2. When Pete asks if Will wants to eat, what does Will say?
3. How does Will excuse himself from his meeting with Etta Doris?
4. Why does Will refuse to speak to the young man from Atlanta?
5. What bank is Will going to downtown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
2. How does the young man from Atlanta get Lily Dale to talk to him?
3. What does Clara find out for Lily Dale about the Disappointment Clubs?
4. What conversation about Bill do Will and Lily Dale finally have?
5. What all does Etta Doris say is wrong with her?
6. What confession does Will make to Lily Dale after he tells her about the courtesy call at the bank?
7. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
8. How does Clara help Lily Dale remember Etta Doris?
9. What does the young man from Atlanta say when Lily Dale tells him what Carson said about him?
10. How is it that Pete decides to take a trip to Atlanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Bill in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? How is his death connected to the action of the play? How does Lily Dale's relationship with his memory change over the course of the play? How does Will's?
Essay Topic 3
The audience never even learns his name, but the young man from Atlanta is a distinct force in the play. What is this character's dramatic purpose? Why do we never learn his name? What kind of aura surrounds the young man from Atlanta in the beginning of the play? How does that aura evolve? Is our opinion of the young man at the end of the play more aligned with Will's or Lily Dale's? Why?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)