|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Etta Doris no longer work?
2. Why does Pete say she had to get up so early?
3. What does Pete say before he and Carson leave?
4. What does Will say he lied to Lily Dale about?
5. Upon discovering Lily Dale has gone downtown, what does Will guess she is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
2. Will runs into Ted Cleveland, Jr. at the bank. What do he and Will discuss?
3. What is the rest of the Mary Cunningham story?
4. How does Clara help Lily Dale remember Etta Doris?
5. What does the young man from Atlanta say when Lily Dale tells him what Carson said about him?
6. After recounting his meeting at the bank, Will lies down on the sofa and closes his eyes. How is he interrupted?
7. Why does Will refuse to go outside and speak to the young man from Atlanta?
8. What does Will call Tom about?
9. What does Will say to Carson and Pete about the way he has been treating his wife?
10. What does Carson say about the photograph of Bill that Lily Dale and Will have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Lord giveth and He taketh away." Write an essay defending or refuting this as the primary theme of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA.
Essay Topic 2
Will begins the play as a wealthy and professionally successful man. He ends the play quite differently. Write an essay illuminating the nature of Will's transformation. How do the external changes in Will's life shape him on the inside?
Essay Topic 3
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)