|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pete says Carson reminds him of whom?
2. Who does the young man from Atlanta say wanted to room with him at the YMCA.
3. What is the first thing Will says to Etta Doris?
4. What does Will tell Ted about accepting a job at Sunshine with less responsibility?
5. How does Will think he failed Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pete describe his late wife's cooking habits?
2. Will runs into Ted Cleveland, Jr. at the bank. What do he and Will discuss?
3. What does Clara find out for Lily Dale about the Disappointment Clubs?
4. How does Etta Doris describe Bill?
5. What is Will's manner with Etta Doris?
6. What conversation about Bill do Will and Lily Dale finally have?
7. How does Clara help Lily Dale remember Etta Doris?
8. How is it that Pete decides to take a trip to Atlanta?
9. Why does Lily Dale no longer see Mary Cunningham?
10. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will learns in the first scene that Ted is replacing him at the company with Tom Jackson, Will's friend and confidant. In what way does Tom represent the changing times in 1950s Houston? How is Tom's promotion sweet for Will? How is it bitter?
Essay Topic 2
"The Lord giveth and He taketh away." Write an essay defending or refuting this as the primary theme of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA.
Essay Topic 3
Horton Foote often said that nothing is more important in his work than a sense of place. Write an essay exploring the influence of the setting of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How is Houston influential? What about the Kidder's house? What about Sunshine produce?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)