|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pete asks if Will wants to eat, what does Will say?
2. Why is Will going to the bank?
3. Who is the only Bill that Will cares to know about?
4. What time does Pete say his wife would have to get up?
5. Where does Lily Dale go at the end of the scene?
Essay Topic 1
What is Carson's function in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? What does he represent for Pete? What does he represent for Lily Dale and Will? How does Foote use him to advance the plot?
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining the theme of deception in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Address the following:
1) The ways in which Lily Dale deceives Will.
2) The ways in which Will deceives Lily Dale.
3) They ways in which the young man from Atlanta deceives everyone.
How does Foote employ this theme to keep the story moving a ratchet up dramatic tension?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)