Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Will says to Tom?
2. What family does the young man from Atlanta claim to have?
3. Why does Will refuse to speak to the young man from Atlanta?
4. What bank is Will going to downtown?
5. When Pete asks if Will wants to eat, what does Will say?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the theme of deception in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Address the following:
1) The ways in which Lily Dale deceives Will.
2) The ways in which Will deceives Lily Dale.
3) They ways in which the young man from Atlanta deceives everyone.
How does Foote employ this theme to keep the story moving a ratchet up dramatic tension?
Essay Topic 2
Choose another southern playwright or author whose works you enjoy. Write an essay comparing and contrasting one of your chosen writer's works with Horton Foote's THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Discuss differences and similarities in plot, character and style, citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
What is Pete's role in the story? How does he function in when we first encounter him? How does his role evolve? In what ways is he provided for and in what ways is he the provider in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)