|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lily Dale call the doctor?
2. How does Lily Dale say the maids would disappoint their bosses?
3. How does Will say the company weathered the Depression?
4. Nothing fires Will up like what?
5. What does Clara tell Lily Dale at the top of this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
2. In what way does Will discover that he has been foolish?
3. What does Lily Dale do every time she feels blue from missing her son?
4. How does Will's being fired put Lily Dale in an awkward position?
5. What does Alice Temple say to Lily Dale about God?
6. Who is the young man from Atlanta?
7. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
8. What does Will tell Carson about Houston?
9. How does Lily Dale say she knew for sure the young man was lying?
10. Why does will say he thinks the banks of Houston are running disappointment clubs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Great mystery surrounds Bill's signing over of his father's checks to the young man from Atlanta. Why do you think Bill gave his roommate all the money his father sent him? Build a case using specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What is Pete's role in the story? How does he function in when we first encounter him? How does his role evolve? In what ways is he provided for and in what ways is he the provider in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)