|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Will while he's talking to Tom?
2. How many children does Vivian have?
3. What does the young man from Atlanta tell Lily Dale Bill had become before the drowning?
4. Where does Will say Bill got a job after the war?
5. How does Will say he feels about Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Will say he is at heart?
2. What does Will say happened to his son?
3. Why is Will short of breath at the beginning of the play?
4. What does Will say to Pete to convince him to loan his life savings?
5. In what way does Will discover that he has been foolish?
6. What are the circumstances surrounding the money Lily Dale gives to the young man from Atlanta?
7. What is the difference between Will and his brother?
8. Why is it particularly painful for Will that Tom is replacing him?
9. What does Alice Temple say to Lily Dale about God?
10. What does Lily Dale learn about Bill's religiousness from the young man from Atlanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Lord giveth and He taketh away." Write an essay defending or refuting this as the primary theme of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA.
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What is Pete's role in the story? How does he function in when we first encounter him? How does his role evolve? In what ways is he provided for and in what ways is he the provider in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)