|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Will's religious beliefs?
2. How old does Lily Dale say she was when she lost her father?
3. What does Pete tell Lily Dale about her financial situation?
4. What does Sam Curtis say to Will about the young man from Atlanta?
5. What does Will say Lily Dale has become since Bill's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will's being fired put Lily Dale in an awkward position?
2. In what way does Will discover that he has been foolish?
3. What does Lily Dale do every time she feels blue from missing her son?
4. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
5. What happens at the end of the scene to send Will into the fury that leads to his heart attack?
6. What does Will say happened to his son?
7. How are Will and Lily Dale's attitudes toward religion different?
8. Why is it particularly painful for Will that Tom is replacing him?
9. Who does Will say he is at heart?
10. How does Lily Dale respond to being deceived by the young man from Atlanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will begins the play as a wealthy and professionally successful man. He ends the play quite differently. Write an essay illuminating the nature of Will's transformation. How do the external changes in Will's life shape him on the inside?
Essay Topic 2
Frequently in the THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA, Lily Dale will reveal new and dramatic information to Clara in confidence, and then, pages later, other characters will discover the information. Write an essay exploring the relationship between Clara and Lily Dale. In what ways are they equals? In what ways are they not? How does Foote use this relationship to move the story forward and increase dramatic tension?
Essay Topic 3
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA is divided into six scenes. Discuss the influence of the play's structure on the narrative. How does the story develop from scene to scene. Why do you think Foote chose this six scene structure?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)