|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ted promoting?
2. How many times does Tom say he met Bill?
3. How does Will say his wife's brother lost his second son?
4. What does Will say the young man from Atlanta's relationship to Bill is?
5. What's the name of Carson's oldest sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we know it is odd for Pete to be unable to sleep?
2. How does Will claim to have gotten Ted's dad to vote Republican for the first time?
3. What does Will prophesy for Ted, Jr.?
4. When does Will say he discovered his heart condition?
5. How does Lily Dale respond to being deceived by the young man from Atlanta?
6. Who is the young man from Atlanta?
7. How are Will and Lily Dale's attitudes toward religion different?
8. What does Lily Dale do every time she feels blue from missing her son?
9. How does Lily Dale say she knew for sure the young man was lying?
10. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The audience never even learns his name, but the young man from Atlanta is a distinct force in the play. What is this character's dramatic purpose? Why do we never learn his name? What kind of aura surrounds the young man from Atlanta in the beginning of the play? How does that aura evolve? Is our opinion of the young man at the end of the play more aligned with Will's or Lily Dale's? Why?
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Horton Foote often said that nothing is more important in his work than a sense of place. Write an essay exploring the influence of the setting of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How is Houston influential? What about the Kidder's house? What about Sunshine produce?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)