|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Pete believe in God?
2. Where does Will say Bill got a job after the war?
3. What does Tom arrive with?
4. What does Will do with the check Tom left him?
5. What does Clara ask when Lily Dale says she is a nervous wreck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will tell Carson about Houston?
2. What does Lily Dale learn about Bill's religiousness from the young man from Atlanta?
3. When does Will say he discovered his heart condition?
4. What are the circumstances surrounding the money Lily Dale gives to the young man from Atlanta?
5. Who does Will say he is at heart?
6. In what way does Will discover that he has been foolish?
7. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
8. What does Alice Temple say to Lily Dale about God?
9. What does Lily Dale do every time she feels blue from missing her son?
10. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the theme of deception in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Address the following:
1) The ways in which Lily Dale deceives Will.
2) The ways in which Will deceives Lily Dale.
3) They ways in which the young man from Atlanta deceives everyone.
How does Foote employ this theme to keep the story moving a ratchet up dramatic tension?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between Will and Lily Dale Kidder in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does their relationship change over the course of the play? What events precipitate this change? How are Will and Lily Dale each different at the end of the play? In what ways are they the same?
Essay Topic 3
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)