|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nothing fires Will up like what?
2. What does Will do with the check Tom left him?
3. What offer does Tom make to Will?
4. What does Will say Lily Dale has become since Bill's death?
5. Who does Will say is the only person in whom he can confide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Will's late son.
2. How does Will claim to have gotten Ted's dad to vote Republican for the first time?
3. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
4. What does Lily Dale do every time she feels blue from missing her son?
5. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
6. What does Alice Temple say to Lily Dale about God?
7. What does Will say to Pete to convince him to loan his life savings?
8. Why is it particularly painful for Will that Tom is replacing him?
9. What does Will tell Carson about Houston?
10. How do we know it is odd for Pete to be unable to sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose another southern playwright or author whose works you enjoy. Write an essay comparing and contrasting one of your chosen writer's works with Horton Foote's THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Discuss differences and similarities in plot, character and style, citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Great mystery surrounds Bill's signing over of his father's checks to the young man from Atlanta. Why do you think Bill gave his roommate all the money his father sent him? Build a case using specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Will Kidder with another tragic character you have encountered in drama or literature (Willy Loman, for example). Compare and contrast the qualities of the these characters. How is Will's tragic fall classic. In what ways is it totally unique?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)