|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the doctor say it will be before Will can return to work?
2. Who does Will say is the only person in whom he can confide?
3. How does Lily Dale help the young man from Atlanta?
4. What's the name of Carson's younger sister?
5. What are Will's religious beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we know it is odd for Pete to be unable to sleep?
2. Describe Will's display of pride at the end of the scene.
3. Why does Tom come by?
4. What does Will say to Pete to convince him to loan his life savings?
5. Describe Will's late son.
6. When does Will say he discovered his heart condition?
7. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
8. Why does Will want such a big house for only two people?
9. Why does will say he thinks the banks of Houston are running disappointment clubs?
10. How are Will and Lily Dale's attitudes toward religion different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the roles of the maids in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How are they treated? What does their status seem to be? How does the talk of Disappointment Clubs highlight the role of the maids in the play? How does the generational difference between Clara and Etta Doris parallel other generational differences in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lily Dale? What drives her? What makes her sweet and charming one minute and perfectly self-centered the next? How does she contribute to Will's downfall?
Essay Topic 3
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA is divided into six scenes. Discuss the influence of the play's structure on the narrative. How does the story develop from scene to scene. Why do you think Foote chose this six scene structure?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)