|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Allie from?
2. How does Will say his wife's brother lost his second son?
3. What does Will ask Lily Dale for?
4. Where does Will say Ted is more frequently than he is in the office?
5. Why does Lily Dale call the doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily Dale do every time she feels blue from missing her son?
2. How do we know it is odd for Pete to be unable to sleep?
3. Why is Will short of breath at the beginning of the play?
4. Why does will say he thinks the banks of Houston are running disappointment clubs?
5. What does Alice Temple say to Lily Dale about God?
6. Who is the young man from Atlanta?
7. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
8. Why is it particularly painful for Will that Tom is replacing him?
9. What does Will tell Carson about Houston?
10. How does Lily Dale say she knew for sure the young man was lying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Great mystery surrounds Bill's signing over of his father's checks to the young man from Atlanta. Why do you think Bill gave his roommate all the money his father sent him? Build a case using specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA is divided into six scenes. Discuss the influence of the play's structure on the narrative. How does the story develop from scene to scene. Why do you think Foote chose this six scene structure?
Essay Topic 3
Choose another southern playwright or author whose works you enjoy. Write an essay comparing and contrasting one of your chosen writer's works with Horton Foote's THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Discuss differences and similarities in plot, character and style, citing specific examples.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)