|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Will say Bill was his happiest?
2. What does Will say the young man from Atlanta's relationship to Bill is?
3. What does Carson say when Pete asks him about Bill's becoming religious?
4. Where is Will at the top of the play?
5. What does Will say Lily Dale has become since Bill's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Will's display of pride at the end of the scene.
2. Why does will say he thinks the banks of Houston are running disappointment clubs?
3. What does Will say happened to his son?
4. Who is the young man from Atlanta?
5. What is the difference between Will and his brother?
6. Why is it particularly painful for Will that Tom is replacing him?
7. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
8. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
9. Why does Will want such a big house for only two people?
10. How does Will's being fired put Lily Dale in an awkward position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Bill in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? How is his death connected to the action of the play? How does Lily Dale's relationship with his memory change over the course of the play? How does Will's?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining the theme of deception in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Address the following:
1) The ways in which Lily Dale deceives Will.
2) The ways in which Will deceives Lily Dale.
3) They ways in which the young man from Atlanta deceives everyone.
How does Foote employ this theme to keep the story moving a ratchet up dramatic tension?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lily Dale? What drives her? What makes her sweet and charming one minute and perfectly self-centered the next? How does she contribute to Will's downfall?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)