|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The young man from Atlanta tells Lily Dale that Bill was like a what to him?
2. Where does Will say Bill got a job after the war?
3. According to the young man from Atlanta, who could be heard praying all over his boarding house every morning?
4. Who is Ted promoting?
5. Nothing fires Will up like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will tell Carson about Houston?
2. Why does will say he thinks the banks of Houston are running disappointment clubs?
3. Describe Will's late son.
4. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
5. What does Will say happened to his son?
6. Why is Will short of breath at the beginning of the play?
7. What does Will prophesy for Ted, Jr.?
8. When does Will say he discovered his heart condition?
9. In what way does Will discover that he has been foolish?
10. What does Lily Dale do every time she feels blue from missing her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will learns in the first scene that Ted is replacing him at the company with Tom Jackson, Will's friend and confidant. In what way does Tom represent the changing times in 1950s Houston? How is Tom's promotion sweet for Will? How is it bitter?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the theme of loyalty and its significance in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does it influence the relationship between Will and Lily Dale? Will and Ted? Will and Pete? How does Foote employ the theme to drive his characters' actions?
Essay Topic 3
Choose another southern playwright or author whose works you enjoy. Write an essay comparing and contrasting one of your chosen writer's works with Horton Foote's THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. Discuss differences and similarities in plot, character and style, citing specific examples.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)