|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will say when Tom tells him not to talk about Bill if it upsets him?
2. With what does Will say his late brother was obsessed?
3. Where is Will at the top of the play?
4. Who does Clara say will take care of Lily Dale?
5. How does Will sleep, according to Lily Dale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom come by?
2. Who does Will say he is at heart?
3. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
4. What does Will tell Carson about Houston?
5. What is the difference between Will and his brother?
6. Why is Will short of breath at the beginning of the play?
7. Describe Will's display of pride at the end of the scene.
8. How does Will claim to have gotten Ted's dad to vote Republican for the first time?
9. What are the circumstances surrounding the money Lily Dale gives to the young man from Atlanta?
10. Why is it particularly painful for Will that Tom is replacing him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the roles of the maids in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How are they treated? What does their status seem to be? How does the talk of Disappointment Clubs highlight the role of the maids in the play? How does the generational difference between Clara and Etta Doris parallel other generational differences in the play?
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA is divided into six scenes. Discuss the influence of the play's structure on the narrative. How does the story develop from scene to scene. Why do you think Foote chose this six scene structure?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Bill in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? How is his death connected to the action of the play? How does Lily Dale's relationship with his memory change over the course of the play? How does Will's?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)