|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Carson, Bill's roommate was always doing what?
2. The young man from Atlanta tells Lily Dale that Bill was like a what to him?
3. How are relations between Will and Lily Dale as of Carson's arrival?
4. How does Allie Temple kill herself?
5. Where is Will at the top of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
2. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
3. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
4. What does the young man from Atlanta say when Lily Dale tells him what Carson said about him?
5. Describe Will's late son.
6. How does Will's being fired put Lily Dale in an awkward position?
7. What all does Etta Doris say is wrong with her?
8. What does Lily Dale learn about Bill's religiousness from the young man from Atlanta?
9. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
10. In what way does Will discover that he has been foolish?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lily Dale? What drives her? What makes her sweet and charming one minute and perfectly self-centered the next? How does she contribute to Will's downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between Will and Lily Dale Kidder in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does their relationship change over the course of the play? What events precipitate this change? How are Will and Lily Dale each different at the end of the play? In what ways are they the same?
Essay Topic 3
Horton Foote often said that nothing is more important in his work than a sense of place. Write an essay exploring the influence of the setting of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How is Houston influential? What about the Kidder's house? What about Sunshine produce?
This section contains 1,710 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)