|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Allie from?
2. In what year does the play begin?
3. According to Carson, Bill's roommate NEVER did what?
4. Where does Will say Bill was when he died?
5. What does Will say when Lily Dale tells him the young man from Atlanta's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will prophesy for Ted, Jr.?
2. What does Lily Dale learn about Bill's religiousness from the young man from Atlanta?
3. Why is it particularly painful for Will that Tom is replacing him?
4. What happens at the end of the scene to send Will into the fury that leads to his heart attack?
5. Describe Will's display of pride at the end of the scene.
6. How does Will say he started off at Sunshine Produce?
7. Describe Will's late son.
8. When does Will say he discovered his heart condition?
9. How does Will's being fired put Lily Dale in an awkward position?
10. What does Alice Temple say to Lily Dale about God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the theme of loyalty and its significance in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does it influence the relationship between Will and Lily Dale? Will and Ted? Will and Pete? How does Foote employ the theme to drive his characters' actions?
Essay Topic 2
Frequently in the THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA, Lily Dale will reveal new and dramatic information to Clara in confidence, and then, pages later, other characters will discover the information. Write an essay exploring the relationship between Clara and Lily Dale. In what ways are they equals? In what ways are they not? How does Foote use this relationship to move the story forward and increase dramatic tension?
Essay Topic 3
What is Carson's function in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? What does he represent for Pete? What does he represent for Lily Dale and Will? How does Foote use him to advance the plot?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)