|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily Dale help the young man from Atlanta?
2. What does Pete tell Lily Dale about her financial situation?
3. From what company is Pete retired?
4. What does Will say about Bill's job?
5. What does Pete agree to give Lily Dale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
2. What does Carson say about the photograph of Bill that Lily Dale and Will have?
3. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
4. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
5. Why is Will short of breath at the beginning of the play?
6. Describe Will's display of pride at the end of the scene.
7. How does Will's meeting at the Bank go?
8. What does Will call Tom about?
9. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
10. What conversation about Bill do Will and Lily Dale finally have?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the roles of the maids in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How are they treated? What does their status seem to be? How does the talk of Disappointment Clubs highlight the role of the maids in the play? How does the generational difference between Clara and Etta Doris parallel other generational differences in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the theme of loyalty and its significance in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA. How does it influence the relationship between Will and Lily Dale? Will and Ted? Will and Pete? How does Foote employ the theme to drive his characters' actions?
Essay Topic 3
"The Lord giveth and He taketh away." Write an essay defending or refuting this as the primary theme of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA.
This section contains 1,669 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)