Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily Dale help the young man from Atlanta?
2. What does Pete tell Lily Dale about her financial situation?
3. From what company is Pete retired?
4. What does Will say about Bill's job?
5. What does Pete agree to give Lily Dale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new "blow" does Pete deliver to Will?
2. What does Carson say about the photograph of Bill that Lily Dale and Will have?
3. How does Pete convince Lily Dale that it is okay for Will to go to the bank?
4. What is Pete's attitude toward education?
5. Why is Will short of breath at the beginning of the play?
6. Describe Will's display of pride at the end of the scene.
7. How does Will's meeting at the Bank go?
8. What does Will call Tom about?
9. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
10. What conversation about Bill do Will and Lily Dale finally have?
Essay Topic 1
"The Lord giveth and He taketh away." Write an essay defending or refuting this as the primary theme of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Bill in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? How is his death connected to the action of the play? How does Lily Dale's relationship with his memory change over the course of the play? How does Will's?
Essay Topic 3
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA is divided into six scenes. Discuss the influence of the play's structure on the narrative. How does the story develop from scene to scene. Why do you think Foote chose this six scene structure?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)