|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Will justify the immense cost of his new house?
2. What does Lily Dale say she wishes Bill could see?
3. Why does Lily Dale call the doctor?
4. What does Will ask Pete to give him?
5. Where does Will threaten to move the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
2. What does Will say to Pete to convince him to loan his life savings?
3. Why is it particularly painful for Will that Tom is replacing him?
4. How does Will's being fired put Lily Dale in an awkward position?
5. How do we know it is odd for Pete to be unable to sleep?
6. What does Will say happened to his son?
7. What does Lily Dale learn about Bill's religiousness from the young man from Atlanta?
8. Why does will say he thinks the banks of Houston are running disappointment clubs?
9. Who does Will say he is at heart?
10. How does Lily Dale respond to being deceived by the young man from Atlanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lily Dale? What drives her? What makes her sweet and charming one minute and perfectly self-centered the next? How does she contribute to Will's downfall?
Essay Topic 3
"The Lord giveth and He taketh away." Write an essay defending or refuting this as the primary theme of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)