|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will say the young man from Atlanta's relationship to Bill is?
2. What does Carson say when Pete asks him about Bill's becoming religious?
3. Who does Clara say will take care of Lily Dale?
4. Who has an epileptic child according to Clara?
5. How does Will say his wife's brother lost his second son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rest of the Mary Cunningham story?
2. How does Pete describe his late wife's cooking habits?
3. How are Will and Lily Dale's attitudes toward religion different?
4. Will runs into Ted Cleveland, Jr. at the bank. What do he and Will discuss?
5. How do we know it is odd for Pete to be unable to sleep?
6. How does Lily Dale describe the Disappointment Clubs?
7. Describe Will's late son.
8. What does Will say happened to his son?
9. What does Lily Dale initially confess to doing with Mary Cunningham?
10. How does Lily Dale respond to being deceived by the young man from Atlanta?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Bill in THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA? How is his death connected to the action of the play? How does Lily Dale's relationship with his memory change over the course of the play? How does Will's?
Essay Topic 2
THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA takes place in Houston in the spring of 1950. Why is the time period important? What are some of the prevailing social themes of this decade? How do they support the action of the play?
Essay Topic 3
In the first scene of THE YOUNG MAN FROM ATLANTA, Will tells Tom that he is "a natural born competitor," that "nothing fires [him] up like a competition." Write an essay demonstrating how the theme of competition shapes the story of the play. How does it influence Will's actions? What about Ted's? What about the young man from Atlanta's?
This section contains 1,712 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)