|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Carson say Bill was well named?
(a) Because Bill was a straight-shooter.
(b) Because Bill had little sense of humor.
(c) Because Bill was very plain.
(d) Because Bill was a great kidder.
2. Where does Lily Dale go at the end of the scene?
(d) The backyard.
3. Why does the man at the bank say the meeting could not have been conducted over the phone?
(a) The man at the bank never uses phones.
(b) The phone seemed too "intimate."
(c) The phone seemed too "unpersonal."
(d) The phone seemed too "modern."
4. What is the only other time Lily Dale claims to have deceived Will?
(a) When Will went to New York to visit his cousin.
(b) When Will went to Atlanta with Pete.
(c) When Will was sick ten years ago.
(d) When Will went to Chicago on a business trip.
5. What does Will tell Ted about accepting a job at Sunshine with less responsibility?
(a) Will tells Ted to take his proposal and stuff it.
(b) Will says he may come in to the office and discuss it when he's feeling stronger.
(c) Will weepingly accepts Ted's offer.
(d) Will ignores Ted entirely.
6. How does Will respond to Pete's news about his savings?
(a) Will says he'll bluff his way through the bank meeting.
(b) Will says Pete is a good for nothing.
(c) Will says he has nothing to live for and storms out.
(d) Will strikes Lily Dale.
7. What does the young man say to Lily Dale about the day Bill went down in the water?
(a) The young man says it was certainly accidental.
(b) The young man says it was suicide.
(c) The young man wishes he could have gone down in the water too.
(d) The young man says Bill is really alive.
8. How does Lily Dale propose to help out financially?
(a) Lily Dale says she will teach school.
(b) Lily Dale says she will become a seamstress in Munn's department store.
(c) Lily Dale says she will start teaching music.
(d) Lily Dale says she will clean houses.
9. What does Will tell Lily Dale to tell the young man?
(a) That he'll pay him $5,000 to leave.
(b) That he'll pay him $100,000 to leave.
(c) To go away and leave them alone.
(d) That he'll pay him $10,000 to leave.
10. What family does the young man from Atlanta claim to have?
(a) A precious nephew and a precious sister.
(b) A precious niece and a precious nephew.
(c) A precious sister and a precious brother.
(d) A precious mother and a precious sister.
11. What bank is Will going to downtown?
(a) Houston Area Credit Union.
(b) Houston Commerce.
(c) First State.
(d) First Commerce.
12. What time is Pete leaving for Atlanta?
(a) Four o'clock.
(b) Seven o'clock.
(c) Five o'clock.
(d) Six o'clock.
13. When Lily Dale tells Will what the doctor says about going to the bank, how does Will respond?
(a) Will says to hell with the doctor.
(b) Will says he will get a new doctor.
(c) Will says nothing.
(d) Will says the doctor is probably right and changes his mind.
14. Why does Will refuse to speak to the young man from Atlanta?
(a) There are things Will would have to ask him, and he doesn't want to know the answers.
(b) Will refuses to dignify con artists.
(c) Will doesn't like the way he looks.
(d) Will is embarrased that Lily Dale has given him so much money.
15. What does Will ask Carson to do before he and Pete leave?
(a) Run to the grocery store.
(b) Help him back to his room.
(c) Run to the ice cream parlor.
(d) Lock the door behind him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Carson say he has been driving?
2. Why does Lily Dale say she has stopped seeing Mary Cunningham?
3. What does Will say happened to their house on Hawthorne?
4. What color does Etta Doris say Bill's hair was?
5. What did Will find in Bill's safety deposit box?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)