|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Henry Thol, Sr.?
2. What year is generally seen as the beginning of modern scientific study of fire behavior?
3. Where did Maclean finally find Robert Sallee?
4. Who did Maclean meet who finally makes the connection for him to Robert Sallee?
5. What time did Dodge's watch say when he rose from the ashes of his own fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the firsthand source of information Maclean and his investigative partner Laird Robinson set out to find before they did anything else? Why? Who were they looking for?
2. When did Maclean begin research on the Mann Gulch fire? What where his first steps?
3. When Maclean and his group began their trek to Mann Gulch, how did Maclean respond to those who were concerned about his heart being strong enough to make it to the site of the fire?
4. Whom did Maclean find at the Hoerner Waldorf-Champion paper mill? What information did this person give Maclean to move him along in his search for Sallee and Rumsey?
5. How did Dr. Hawkins describe the death process the Smokejumpers underwent in the final moments of their lives? To what did Maclean compare their suffering?
6. What was it like when the fire reached its height and totally covered the landscape? To what did Maclean compare the fire at this point?
7. Why did both parents and the Forest Service hope for silence after the court judgments concerning suits filed against the Forest Service?
8. To what did the author compare the cloud of smoke atop the Mann Gulch fire when the blowup rose out of the gulch?
9. How did Jansson's explanation of why the non-flammable objects such as wallets and watches were found uphill from the men's bodies? How did his explanation differ from that of the Forest Service?
10. What two emotions governed the analysis of the tragedy at Mann Gulch? How did Maclean describe the first emotion among the men in Mann Gulch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dodge, Sallee, and Rumsey survived the Mann Gulch fire in different ways. Discuss each man's survival method. How did each of them make it out of the fire?
Essay Topic 2
Maclean stated that one important part of his investigation was to learn if anything good had come from the Mann Gulch fire. What were some of the changes made by the foremen, spotters, pilots, and Smokejumpers to ensure their safety during a fire? What was the logic behind these changes?
Essay Topic 3
In the final chapter, Maclean used a series of metaphors to describe the Mann Gulch fire. What are those metaphors? Why are they successful or unsuccessful in the telling of the story?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)