|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Maclean's mind, what did the Ponderosa pines look like during the fire?
2. What did Maclean say was evidence of the strength of the fire when it hit the Smokejumpers on the ridge?
3. What was the name of the doctor who went in with the rescue crew the night of the fire?
4. Who is one of the best bibliographical references about the Mann Gulch fire available to Laird and Maclean?
5. Where did Maclean and his brother-in-law first go to view Mann Gulch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the land in Mann Gulch look like in the aftermath of the fire?
2. When did Maclean begin research on the Mann Gulch fire? What where his first steps?
3. What was it like when the fire reached its height and totally covered the landscape? To what did Maclean compare the fire at this point?
4. Whom did Maclean find at the Hoerner Waldorf-Champion paper mill? What information did this person give Maclean to move him along in his search for Sallee and Rumsey?
5. What did Sallee and Rumsey explain to Maclean that answered one of his most important questions? What was the question? What was the answer?
6. Who was Henry Thol, Sr.? What was his role in the Mann Gulch fire?
7. To what did the author compare the cloud of smoke atop the Mann Gulch fire when the blowup rose out of the gulch?
8. What did Maclean mean when he said, "viewing total conflagration is literally blinding, as sight becomes sound."
9. What does Maclean believe has become the symbol of fear in the late twentieth century? What artist does he site as support for this claim?
10. When Maclean and his group began their trek to Mann Gulch, how did Maclean respond to those who were concerned about his heart being strong enough to make it to the site of the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his story, Maclean used religious symbolism, metaphors, and beliefs to write about the fire. Discuss the influence of religion in Maclean's telling of the Mann Gulch fire.
Essay Topic 2
Maclean discussed different types of fires in his story and explains that these different fires converged at Mann Gulch. How did Maclean explain the Mann Gulch fire in terms of types of fires? Why is it important to the credibility of the story to understand different types of fires?
Essay Topic 3
In the final chapter, Maclean used a series of metaphors to describe the Mann Gulch fire. What are those metaphors? Why are they successful or unsuccessful in the telling of the story?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)