|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the fire starters assume the Fish Creek fire would travel?
(a) Into the deepest part of the forest.
(b) Up the tributary in a box canyon with cliffs.
(c) Into town.
(d) To the edge of the lake.
2. What color was the face of the ghost walking next to the author on the mountain?
3. When did the author first hear a voice in the fire during the Fish Creek fire?
(a) When he got to the lake.
(b) When he was halfway off the mountain.
(c) When he returned to the fire station.
(d) When he reached the top of the mountain.
4. Where did Gisborne die?
(a) On the Missouri River.
(b) In Missoula.
(c) On the climb up Rescue Gulch.
(d) On Mount Jennie.
5. Where was the author when he was startled to see a terribly burned deer?
(a) Sitting on Mrs. Brown's porch.
(b) Fighting the fire at Fish Creek.
(c) Standing at Willow Creek.
(d) Standing at the base of the mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Rumsey and Sallee find ahead of them while they were running from the fire?
2. Why were Sylvia and Hellman not suffering from their burns?
3. What important accomplishment did Louis-Sebastien Lenormand achieve in 1783?
4. For what did the fire fighters hope to use Fish Creek?
5. What quality of Dodge's led to his escape from death by the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was the ranger station in which the author was stationed? What was the commonly held belief about the Fish Creek fire? Why was this theory reasonable?
2. What did the ghost finally ask the author? What happened when the author answered the question? How did he react?
3. Where was the big fire the author had fought when he was in the Forest Service? How did the people living in the area support themselves and their families?
4. Who was Robert Jansson? What was his part in the Mann Gulch fire?
5. Who invented the first parachutes? What were parachutes and their cords made of then? What material were they made of in 1949 when the Smokejumpers landed on Mann Gulch? Why?
6. How did the firefighters at the Forest Service think the fire would spread? Why did they think the fire starters had the same idea?
7. What important question did the author ask Mrs. Brown after his experience with the fire at Fish Creek? What was her answer?
8. What are the two causes of fires? What caused the Mann Gulch fire? Where did the fire start? How?
9. What did the author do when he reached the top of the ridge? What did he decide to do next?
10. As the author was running up the hillside away from the creek, where was the fire? What choices did he have for escape? What happened when he was half way up the hillside?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)