|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the ghost do to the author while the two were on the mountainside?
(a) Punched him in the stomach.
(b) Slapped him in the face.
(c) Pushed him down the mountainside.
(d) Tripped him.
2. What color was the face of the ghost walking next to the author on the mountain?
3. What was the severely burned deer doing as the author watched?
(a) Eating leaves.
(b) Running back and forth across a road.
(c) Looking at the fire.
(d) Drinking water.
4. Who was the head of the Helena National Forest Canyon Ferry District?
(a) Charles Merriweather.
(b) Wag Dodge.
(c) Bill Harrison.
(d) Robert Jansson.
5. What are the natural components of a blowup?
(a) Fire, oxygen, and wood.
(b) Fire, smoke, and men.
(c) Fire, clouds, and winds.
(d) Fire, canyons, and dry air.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the fire starters light the forest fire in Fish Creek?
2. Who did Jansson, Sallee, and Roos find alive on the other side of the ridge from the other survivors?
3. Where was the author's cabin located?
4. Where was the author when he was startled to see a terribly burned deer?
5. What quality of Dodge's led to his escape from death by the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the ghost finally ask the author? What happened when the author answered the question? How did he react?
2. Where was the ranger station in which the author was stationed? What was the commonly held belief about the Fish Creek fire? Why was this theory reasonable?
3. What is the Story of the Three Winds?
4. When the author returned to the spot in which he had stood when the fire jumped the trail, what did he realize about himself? What did he realize about the fire?
5. What did the author know about the Mann Gulch fire based on his experience with fires as a young man?
6. What did the author do when he reached the top of the ridge? What did he decide to do next?
7. To what did Maclean compare the smokejumper's jump from the plane? Why?
8. Who was Robert Jansson? What was his part in the Mann Gulch fire?
9. When was the fire at Mann Gulch? Where was the author at the time of the fire? When the author arrived in the small town at Seely Lake, how did he learn of the fire at Mann Gulch? What did he learn about the death of the smokejumpers who were sent to fight the fire?
10. What actually happened at the Fish Creek fire that was not part of the plan? How did the fire spread? What surprises of nature awaited the Forest Service firefighters?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)