|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what did the fire fighters hope to use Fish Creek?
(a) A starting point for wetting brush.
(b) A meeting place for firefighters.
(c) A fire line to stop the fire.
(d) A landing strip for airplanes.
2. Where had the author's boots come from?
(a) The army surplus store.
(b) The general store in town.
(c) Sears and Roebucks.
(d) Farm and Fleet.
3. Who did Rumsey and Sallee find ahead of them while they were running from the fire?
4. What did the Smokejumpers of Mann Gulch wear to protect their heads on the jump?
(a) Wrestling helmets.
(b) Army helmets.
(c) Football helmets.
(d) Pillow helmets.
5. Who was Mrs. Brown?
(a) The owner of the lodge.
(b) The postmistress.
(c) The wife of the owner of the lodge.
(d) The telephone operator.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Forest Service begin using planes to spot fires?
2. In what novel is an escape fire used by an old trapper to save his party?
3. When was the first parachute jump made on a forest fire?
4. What was one reasonable cause of the Mann Gulch fire advanced by scientists?
5. What did Rumsey fall into that caused him to stop running when he jumped from the crevice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the firefighters at the Forest Service think the fire would spread? Why did they think the fire starters had the same idea?
2. Who was Robert Jansson? What was his part in the Mann Gulch fire?
3. What is a crown fire? How does it become ignited? What does it sound like in the forest? What elements are necessary to create a crown fire?
4. What did the author do when he reached the top of the ridge? What did he decide to do next?
5. Why did Dodge, Sallee, and Rumsey escape death from the fire, and the other men, including Hellman and Diettert, did not?
6. What important question did the author ask Mrs. Brown after his experience with the fire at Fish Creek? What was her answer?
7. What did the ghost finally ask the author? What happened when the author answered the question? How did he react?
8. Where was the ranger station in which the author was stationed? What was the commonly held belief about the Fish Creek fire? Why was this theory reasonable?
9. What actually happened at the Fish Creek fire that was not part of the plan? How did the fire spread? What surprises of nature awaited the Forest Service firefighters?
10. What was the profile of a smokejumper in the 1940s?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)