|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Fish Creek fire actually burn?
(a) Across the back acres of the forest.
(b) Down the tributary.
(c) Through the forest to the town.
(d) Both up and down the tributary.
2. Where did the burned and disabled deer die?
(a) At the base of the mountain.
(b) On a burning log.
(c) On the road.
(d) In the creek.
3. How many feet does a Smokejumper fall before his parachute opens?
4. What did the author do when he reached the mountain ridge, having escaped the Fish Creek fire?
(a) Sat down to rest.
(b) Took in huge gulps of air.
(c) Put out the fire on his shoelaces.
5. Where was the Fish Creek fire when the author finally stopped running?
(a) Both in front of and behind him.
(b) West of him.
(c) East of him.
(d) Directly behind him.
6. How did the additional firefighters needed in Mann Gulch get there?
(a) By hiking up the side of the gulch.
(b) By plane and parachute.
(c) By jeep to within a mile of the fire
(d) By boat on the Missouri River.
7. In the Fish Creek fire, where was the author standing when the fire jumped?
(a) Behind the fire chief near the water.
(b) On the other side of the lake.
(c) Near the fire truck.
(d) At the exact place of the jump.
8. For what did the fire fighters hope to use Fish Creek?
(a) A fire line to stop the fire.
(b) A starting point for wetting brush.
(c) A meeting place for firefighters.
(d) A landing strip for airplanes.
9. What kind of boots was the author wearing while running in the Fish Creek fire?
(a) Riding boots.
(b) Hobnail boots.
(c) Hunting boots.
(d) Rubber boots.
10. Who did the author believe started the forest fire at Fish Creek?
(a) The fire deparment.
(b) The sheep herders.
(c) The homesteaders.
(d) Local hoodlums.
11. Why were Sylvia and Hellman not suffering from their burns?
(a) They were heavily sedated.
(b) Their injuries were covered with novacaine.
(c) Their nerve endings were destroyed.
(d) They were in a state of shock.
12. Where did the fire starters light the forest fire in Fish Creek?
(a) Close to the Forest Service station.
(b) Near the mouth of the tributary.
(c) At the edge of a clearing.
(d) In the middle of the forest.
13. When was the first parachute jump made on a forest fire?
14. How did Jansson identify Harrison's body?
(a) By his pinkie ring.
(b) By the Catholic medallion around his neck.
(c) By the shovel laying next to him with his initials carved in it.
(d) By his tattoo.
15. What did Jansson send up to the survivors of the Mann Gulch fire?
(a) A doctor, food, and assistance.
(b) Food, blankets, and water.
(c) A doctor and more firefighters.
(d) A doctor, litter, blankets, and blood plasma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the face of the ghost walking next to the author on the mountain?
2. Who was the head of the Helena National Forest Canyon Ferry District?
3. Where had the author's boots come from?
4. Where did Gisborne die?
5. Where was the author when he was startled to see a terribly burned deer?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)