|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Rumsey and Sallee find ahead of them while they were running from the fire?
2. What animal was Fish Creek known for having in abundance?
(d) Cabins and lodges.
3. Where did the burned and disabled deer die?
(a) On a burning log.
(b) On the road.
(c) In the creek.
(d) At the base of the mountain.
4. Where was the author's cabin located?
(a) In Mann Gulch, Montana.
(b) In Seeley Lake, Montana.
(c) In Smiley Lake, Montanta.
(d) In Missoula, Montana.
5. For what organization did the Smokejumpers work?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The National Guard.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Forest Service.
6. What color was the face of the ghost walking next to the author on the mountain?
7. What would have happened had the author stepped across the fire immediately when it jumped the trail?
(a) It would have been caught between the lake and the mountain.
(b) It would have been blown by opposite winds.
(c) It would have reached beds of fallen needles and smoldered.
(d) It would have reached the water and extinguished itself.
8. Where did the fire starters light the forest fire in Fish Creek?
(a) Near the mouth of the tributary.
(b) In the middle of the forest.
(c) At the edge of a clearing.
(d) Close to the Forest Service station.
9. Why are parachutes made of nylon instead of silk?
(a) So they are not eaten by grasshoppers.
(b) So they float to the ground smoother.
(c) So they are not as expensive to replace.
(d) So they are washable.
10. Where did the firefighters go as the fire spread toward them in Fish Creek?
(a) They backed up to the foot of the mountain.
(b) They backed up to the fire station.
(c) They backed up to the sidehill trail.
(d) They backed up to the water's edge.
11. Where did the author stand to fight the Fish Creek fire?
(a) In front of it.
(b) Behind it.
(c) To the left side of it.
(d) To the right side of it.
12. What kind of boots was the author wearing while running in the Fish Creek fire?
(a) Rubber boots.
(b) Riding boots.
(c) Hunting boots.
(d) Hobnail boots.
13. Where was the author when he saw smoke coming out of black holes in the snow?
(a) While ice fishing on the lake.
(b) While staying in Lolo Hot Springs.
(c) While hunting in Fish Creek.
(d) While returning home from the Fish Creek fire.
14. Who was destroying the food supply for the abundant animal population in the area?
(a) The fox population.
(b) The locusts.
(c) The sheep herders.
(d) The farmers.
15. What did the ghost do to the author while the two were on the mountainside?
(a) Pushed him down the mountainside.
(b) Punched him in the stomach.
(c) Slapped him in the face.
(d) Tripped him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sallee and Rumsey run to get out of the fire's path?
2. What did the author do when he reached the mountain ridge, having escaped the Fish Creek fire?
3. How many feet does a Smokejumper fall before his parachute opens?
4. What are the natural components of a blowup?
5. What was the severely burned deer doing as the author watched?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)