|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one reasonable cause of the Mann Gulch fire advanced by scientists?
(a) Fire whirls.
(b) A second lightning strike.
(c) Crown fire.
(d) A thunderhead which sat on the fire.
2. What was the severely burned deer doing as the author watched?
(a) Eating leaves.
(b) Drinking water.
(c) Looking at the fire.
(d) Running back and forth across a road.
3. Who named the area around Mann Gulch the "Gates of the Mountains?"
(a) Merriweather and Smith.
(b) Clark and Simon.
(c) Smith and Gulch.
(d) Lewis and Clark.
4. What animal was Fish Creek known for having in abundance?
(c) Cabins and lodges.
5. What happens when a fire up a hillside closes in on someone?
(a) It is easier to breathe and find a way out.
(b) Everything begins to feel only like thirst.
(c) Everything feels only like exhaustion.
(d) It generates adrenalin which helps to keep running.
6. How long is the Smokejumper's parachute fall from the plane to the ground?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Thirty seconds.
(c) A minute.
(d) Two minutes.
7. Who did the author first think the voice he heard in the fire belonged to?
(a) A member of the pickup crew.
(b) His imagination.
(c) A farmer trapped in the fire.
(d) His partner.
8. How did Dodge die five years after the fire?
(a) Lung cancer.
(b) Hodgkin's disease.
(c) Heart attack.
9. What was the first thing the author noticed about the ghost standing next to him?
(a) He wore a good pair of goggles.
(b) He wore a yellow jacket.
(c) He wore thick yellow gloves.
(d) He wore a good pair of climbing boots.
10. How many Smokejumpers were in the plane ready to parachute into Mann Gulch?
11. For what organization did the Smokejumpers work?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Forest Service.
(c) The Army.
(d) The National Guard.
12. What important piece of equipment was broken in the parachute landing at Mann Gulch?
(a) The food rations.
(b) The water barrel.
(c) The radio.
(d) The first aid kit.
13. What question did the author ask Mrs. Brown before leaving the lodge?
(a) He asked if he could repay her for her kindness.
(b) He asked how to get back to the main road.
(c) He asked if she could feed him something.
(d) He asked if she had started the fire.
14. Why are parachutes made of nylon instead of silk?
(a) So they float to the ground smoother.
(b) So they are not as expensive to replace.
(c) So they are washable.
(d) So they are not eaten by grasshoppers.
15. What did Harry Gisborne witness in 1929?
(a) A drift fire.
(b) A pitch fire.
(c) A blowup.
(d) A crown fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would have happened had the author stepped across the fire immediately when it jumped the trail?
2. Where was the author when he was startled to see a terribly burned deer?
3. What is a Pulaski?
4. When did Dodge return to Missoula?
5. How did the author describe the sound of the fire getting very close?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)