|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the fire starters assume the Fish Creek fire would travel?
(a) Up the tributary in a box canyon with cliffs.
(b) Into the deepest part of the forest.
(c) Into town.
(d) To the edge of the lake.
2. When was the first parachute jump made on a forest fire?
3. How did Dodge die five years after the fire?
(a) Hodgkin's disease.
(c) Lung cancer.
(d) Heart attack.
4. What happens when a fire up a hillside closes in on someone?
(a) Everything feels only like exhaustion.
(b) It is easier to breathe and find a way out.
(c) It generates adrenalin which helps to keep running.
(d) Everything begins to feel only like thirst.
5. Where did the burned and disabled deer die?
(a) In the creek.
(b) On the road.
(c) On a burning log.
(d) At the base of the mountain.
6. What are the natural components of a blowup?
(a) Fire, smoke, and men.
(b) Fire, oxygen, and wood.
(c) Fire, canyons, and dry air.
(d) Fire, clouds, and winds.
7. When did Dodge return to Missoula?
(a) When Jansson ordered him to.
(b) When his crew was all accounted for.
(c) When he collapsed from exhaustion.
(d) When his wife came to pick him up.
8. What question did the author ask Mrs. Brown before leaving the lodge?
(a) He asked if she had started the fire.
(b) He asked if he could repay her for her kindness.
(c) He asked how to get back to the main road.
(d) He asked if she could feed him something.
9. How many acres of land burned in the Mann Gulch fire?
(a) 4,500 acres.
(b) 7,500 acres.
(c) 2,500 acres.
(d) 5,000 acres.
10. Where did both Sylvia and Hellman die?
(a) On the way to Missoula.
(b) In the speedboat back to the station.
(c) In a hospital in Butte.
(d) In a hospital in Helena.
11. What was the severely burned deer doing as the author watched?
(a) Looking at the fire.
(b) Eating leaves.
(c) Running back and forth across a road.
(d) Drinking water.
12. How long did the author hear stories about the Mann Gulch fire before he felt he needed to see it himself?
(a) About a week.
(b) About five days.
(c) About two days.
(d) About ten days.
13. Who was the spotter on the C-47 that dropped Smokejumpers into Mann Gulch?
(a) Wag Dodge.
(b) Earl Cooley.
(c) John Thol.
(d) Fred Stillings.
14. What quality of Dodge's led to his escape from death by the fire?
(a) His ability to use tools.
(b) His ability to remain calm.
(c) His ability to run.
(d) His ability to follow the smoke.
15. What did the author say he saw while fighting the Fish Creek fire?
(a) Lightening strike a tree.
(b) A house on fire.
(c) Farmers moving their cows.
(d) A ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Smokejumpers were in the plane ready to parachute into Mann Gulch?
2. How long is the Smokejumper's parachute fall from the plane to the ground?
3. How did Jansson identify Harrison's body?
4. Who invented the "escape fire?"
5. For what organization did the Smokejumpers work?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)