|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the author when he was startled to see a terribly burned deer?
(a) Sitting on Mrs. Brown's porch.
(b) Standing at Willow Creek.
(c) Fighting the fire at Fish Creek.
(d) Standing at the base of the mountain.
2. How many acres of land burned in the Mann Gulch fire?
(a) 4,500 acres.
(b) 7,500 acres.
(c) 2,500 acres.
(d) 5,000 acres.
3. What did the author hear a voice say to him as he ran to avoid being killed in the Fish Creek fire?
(a) "How're you doing, sonny?"
(b) "Can you see your way out?"
(c) "I have to go with you."
(d) "Are you lost, too?"
4. What happened when the fire hit the water's edge?
(a) It jumped to the brush on the other side.
(b) It slowed down and lost power.
(c) It sped up but went backwards.
(d) It stalled, allowing the firefighters to extinguish it.
5. Who was the first man to begin tagging the bodies laying along the hill at Mann Gulch?
6. What happens when a fire up a hillside closes in on someone?
(a) Everything begins to feel only like thirst.
(b) It generates adrenalin which helps to keep running.
(c) Everything feels only like exhaustion.
(d) It is easier to breathe and find a way out.
7. In the Fish Creek fire, where was the author standing when the fire jumped?
(a) Near the fire truck.
(b) On the other side of the lake.
(c) At the exact place of the jump.
(d) Behind the fire chief near the water.
8. What question does a Smokejumper foreman ask while fighting a fire?
(a) "Where is a good escape route?"
(b) "Where is the biggest fire?"
(c) "Where are the tools?"
(d) "Is every man accounted for?"
9. What is a "fire whirl?"
(a) A tornado-like fire that starts other fires by its motion.
(b) A space in a fire where there is room to breathe.
(c) A fire in a wind pattern that puts itself out.
(d) A small, easily extinguished fire.
10. Where did Sallee and Rumsey run to get out of the fire's path?
(a) Into a cave.
(b) Into an opening in the reef.
(c) In the opposite direction of the fire.
(d) Down the side of the ridge.
11. What is a crown fire?
(a) A fire that arcs across a gulch.
(b) A fire that spreads through the branches of trees.
(c) A fire that snakes along water.
(d) A fire that surpasses a Class 5.
12. How many men fought the Mann Gulch fire?
13. Where did the burned and disabled deer die?
(a) At the base of the mountain.
(b) On the road.
(c) In the creek.
(d) On a burning log.
14. Where had the author's boots come from?
(a) The general store in town.
(b) Sears and Roebucks.
(c) Farm and Fleet.
(d) The army surplus store.
15. What did the Fish Creek fire sound like as the author looked for an escape?
(a) A whooshing sound.
(b) A freight train.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A waterfall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the face of the ghost walking next to the author on the mountain?
2. For what organization did the Smokejumpers work?
3. When was the first parachute jump made on a forest fire?
4. What was the severely burned deer doing as the author watched?
5. Who told the author about the Mann Gulch fire when he came to town?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)