|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the only permanent residents of the town near the author's cabin?
(a) Sheep herders.
2. What happens when a fire up a hillside closes in on someone?
(a) Everything feels only like exhaustion.
(b) Everything begins to feel only like thirst.
(c) It generates adrenalin which helps to keep running.
(d) It is easier to breathe and find a way out.
3. What is the cause of 75% of forest fires?
(a) Smoldering cigarettes.
(b) Spontaneous combustion.
4. For what did the fire fighters hope to use Fish Creek?
(a) A starting point for wetting brush.
(b) A fire line to stop the fire.
(c) A landing strip for airplanes.
(d) A meeting place for firefighters.
5. What was the severely burned deer doing as the author watched?
(a) Eating leaves.
(b) Drinking water.
(c) Looking at the fire.
(d) Running back and forth across a road.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Mrs. Brown?
2. Who was the spotter on the C-47 that dropped Smokejumpers into Mann Gulch?
3. What important piece of equipment was broken in the parachute landing at Mann Gulch?
4. How long is the Smokejumper's parachute fall from the plane to the ground?
5. How long did the author hear stories about the Mann Gulch fire before he felt he needed to see it himself?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)