|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the first Smokejumpers call the fires into which they jumped?
(a) Sneak peeks.
(b) No big deal.
(c) Ten o'clock fires.
(d) Easy money.
2. Where did the Fish Creek fire actually burn?
(a) Through the forest to the town.
(b) Both up and down the tributary.
(c) Down the tributary.
(d) Across the back acres of the forest.
3. What did the author do when he reached the mountain ridge, having escaped the Fish Creek fire?
(b) Put out the fire on his shoelaces.
(c) Sat down to rest.
(d) Took in huge gulps of air.
4. Who named the area around Mann Gulch the "Gates of the Mountains?"
(a) Clark and Simon.
(b) Lewis and Clark.
(c) Smith and Gulch.
(d) Merriweather and Smith.
5. Where was the Fish Creek fire when the author finally stopped running?
(a) Both in front of and behind him.
(b) Directly behind him.
(c) West of him.
(d) East of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "fire whirl?"
2. Who was destroying the food supply for the abundant animal population in the area?
3. What did Gisborne want to do on Mann Gulch?
4. What did Jansson send up to the survivors of the Mann Gulch fire?
5. When did the author work for the Forest Service?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)