|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Henry Thol, Sr.?
(a) The Forest Service official responsible for public relations.
(b) A Smokejumper trainer.
(c) The senator form Montana.
(d) Father of one of the dead Smokejumpers.
2. What did the first Smokejumpers call the fires into which they jumped?
(a) Easy money.
(b) No big deal.
(c) Sneak peeks.
(d) Ten o'clock fires.
3. What did the author say he saw while fighting the Fish Creek fire?
(a) A house on fire.
(b) Lightening strike a tree.
(c) A ghost.
(d) Farmers moving their cows.
4. What time did Dodge's watch say when he rose from the ashes of his own fire?
(a) Seven fifteen.
(b) Nine forty-five.
(c) Ten minutes after six.
(d) Fifteen minutes after seven.
5. As an old man, what did the author hope to receive by his study of the Mann Gulch fire?
(a) A better understanding of Sallee and Rumsey.
(b) A better understanding of the Forest Service.
(c) A better understanding of himself and people close to him.
(d) A better understanding of the role of the Smokejumper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the firefighters go as the fire spread toward them in Fish Creek?
2. Of what material are the Mann Gulch crosses made?
3. Who was the first man to begin tagging the bodies laying along the hill at Mann Gulch?
4. What animal was Fish Creek known for having in abundance?
5. What important piece of equipment was broken in the parachute landing at Mann Gulch?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)