|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the severely burned deer doing as the author watched?
(a) Drinking water.
(b) Eating leaves.
(c) Looking at the fire.
(d) Running back and forth across a road.
2. What observation did Jansson and the doctor at the scene make about the final steps of the men who died on the hill?
(a) They were dead before they fell to the ground.
(b) They fell and got up many times before dying.
(c) They fell and were instantly devoured by the fire.
(d) They fell, then rose and took a few steps, then fell again.
3. According to Sallee and Rumsey, toward the end of their run, how many times did the smoke part in order for them to see the top of the ridge?
(a) Two or three times.
(b) Many times.
(c) Four or five times.
4. How old was the author when he joined the Forest Service?
5. What did thinking about the struggle for oxygen that the Smokejumpers' experienced remind the author of?
(a) The death of his wife.
(b) The importance of fire safety.
(c) The death of Hellman.
(d) The birth experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did Maclean compare the fire lower on the hillside as it met the escape fire set by Dodge?
2. Who was Henry Thol, Sr.?
3. How many feet does a Smokejumper fall before his parachute opens?
4. When did the author first notice the Mann Gulch fire?
5. What did Maclean call the "No Man's Land" of the Mann Gulch fire?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)